Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ground floor. Sup?

I like video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spent all night in newbie zones helping out new players and handing out gifts.

Didn't see a single nasty person, no bigoted speech and everyone seemed to be having a great time.

Guild Wars 2 remains fantastic.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CODChimera posted:

i'm so far behind. i haven't done any of the latest expansion and i still have some of that "return to.." stuff left to finish

A word of advice:
Return To is 1,000% worth it. You get tons of mats and an extremely good prize at the end.
Just do a little bit each day. It'll go quicker than you might think but burning out is possible if you don't pace yourself.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah I wonder how fast it will go now that no one has to wait for segments to unlock.
I started about half-way through and caught up in just a couple weeks of very casual play.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

explosivo posted:

I've been having fun with this so I bought all the expansions because I hate feeling like I'm missing out on good content, lol. I am back on my necro, I don't even think I finished whatever there was to do in vanilla but I figured just picking up at the start of Heart of Thorns isn't a bad idea? It truly is an overwhelming amount of stuff being thrown at me so really trying to focus on A Thing to keep myself busy with while I reacquaint myself with the game again.

I think the story is good enough that you should do it in order.
Now that you can get the raptor early, there's no reason to jump ahead.

HoT can be a hassle but it's worth exploring.

jokes posted:

Starting a new character(s) is really fun but now I'm caught up between what class I'd like to play. Warrior is solid and fun, but it'd be kinda cool to have some magic that isn't this:

Maybe sword ranger, even though they got rid of the really cool kick move from years ago?

It's like playing a brand new game!

have you heard the good word about our Lord and savior Revenant???

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Which is so weird because, as far as I can tell, the supply drops are really popular (and a great value).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

iGestalt posted:

I'm a little torn on what profession to play. I've never been a fan of Thief in GW2, so what I'd normally end up playing is right out.

Instead I was thinking Warrior, but I can't help but feel it's a bit.. bland? I'm torn on what else I might enjoy - but nothing really appeals. Does Warrior become more engaging at higher levels / more flashy?

Warrior is pretty bland. Revenant is better and flashier.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Meskhenet posted:

Lord Faren is probably the best NPC in the game (after joko)
You have to do his meta in Verdant Brink at least once

Excuse me, Tybalt is the best character aside from Joko.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mohawk Potato posted:

So I’m loving greatsword Mesmer and sword pistol Mesmer are those good or am I setting myself up for future disappointments? Also cooking discovery decently fun as I try to hunt down new ingredients.

Mesmer doesn't really have any bad weapons, thankfully.

Scepter/Pistol might flow better. Sword/Torch can be a lot of fun.
Just try everything out and play what you want.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I dropped FF14 because it relies so heavily on rote rotations. It made playing even flashy classes boring.

GW2 I like because your auto attack often does great damage and then your other skills are brought in situationally.

Nothing is more boring to me than having to memorize a string of numbers. That's not a game, that's homework.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

We don't talk about Weaver.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah I'm not gonna stick around with any game where my face has to be glued to a cooldown bar.

If they insist on that level of complexity but don't allow macros, they can go gently caress themselves.
Additional complexity is not good design and does not actually reward skill.

Making it so that people have to read the battles and respond appropriately is skill-based design that lots of MMOs don't do.

It's not rewarding, imo, to memorize a "perfect" rotation for optimal DPS and only do that until the death of the universe.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CODChimera posted:

oh my god I just saw the plush griffon skin in the store. how worth it is that?

no, first i should actually play the game before buying that

You're not going to have access to a griffon for a good while but yeah that skin is exquisite.

Birthday dyes:
Get whatever you think looks best. And/or choose the most expensive ones. That way if you end up buying higher-end dyes, you will have some of them already unlocked.

Speaking of, I now have Bubblegum and Limescale.
Lonk, I'm coming for you ;)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

jokes posted:

Be sure to consider that default mount skins aren't really dyeable (as in, they don't really change much based on what dye you pick) and that pretty much other mount skin will be fully dyeable, so it's worth it to get at least one non-default skin for every mount so you can at least dye them.

I don't really agree with this.
Though the base models benefit more from high contrast dyes like the enameled line or vintage silver, you can still get a lot of good looks from them.

Raptor is probably the worst, though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

^^^
Yeah, I use Skyscale almost exclusively.
Roller Beetle if I want speed and Raptor for farting around.

I never touch the Springer or Jackal anymore, which sucks since I have a bunch of excellent Jackal skins.

jokes posted:

I'm saying you can't really fully color them. At best, for the defaults, it's a very slight accent compared to most of the skins where you can turn them full-on bright orange if you want.

Oh, duh, right. I was not awake.

Using the plush griffin with the brightest pinks and whites makes me king of the skies.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I already had one skin for each mount that I loved so the choice was kinda hard.

No Skyscale beats the cyber laser one, no griffin beats plush or cockatiel.

So I got the Shiba jackal since it is so gosh dang cute.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I took a long break so this is actually going to be my first mount skin, are there multiple dye channels? I'm probably not going to gem store one unless I start playing a lot more, but at the same time I don't want to gently caress up my pick. Are there any that aren't super dyeable (raptor specifically)?

All the purchasable ones are more stable than the base versions. I think they all have 4 channels, though.

A trick you can do is dye your base mount, keep that window open and preview a mount skin.
It will apply your dyes to that skin and you can see if it shows up well.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anet lemme SHOW FEET

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Trying hard to make a classic Final Fantasy Dragoon for my Vindicator and it's friggin hard!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Felt like I was neglecting the griffon so I took it to a tall place and launched off getting maximum speed.

It really is a goddamn fighter jet. The Skyscale is sluggish by comparison, even though it's more useful.

Skyscale is a workhorse, Griffon is a luxury toy.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone have a good Deadeye rifle build for harassing people in WvW?

They're just about the only class I have a real issue with and want to learn their ways.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BadLlama posted:

HoT seems like the most populated content (As in players running around doing stuff) then everything else? Is it actually the most popular or is there some trickery with how the map populations work?

in HoT I'd always run into big groups of people, for PoF and EoD I rarely ran into any group larger than like 5 dudes.

HoT has the "benefit" of being fairly cramped so there's not a lot of people zooming around large open areas. Therefore the population is naturally more condensed into active zones.

The metas have always attracted regular groups and HP trains still happen.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Luggage posted:

I wish there was another way to get your hands on Glyphs for infinite gathering tools other than drop luck from BLCs or buying them at horrendous prices from the TP.
I don't mind G.o.Volatility only paying for itself after 28k+ strikes and G.o.Watchknight after 20k+ strikes, but the upfront cost of (at the time of writing) 650 gold (i.e. $ 40+) for three is intimidating for someone without thousands of hours in the game.

That being said, can someone recommend a cheaper glyph (up to 50ish gold) they found useful for specific ingame farming goals other than "additional gold per strike"? Right now I am eyeing Timekeeper and Scavenger.

If you ever use keys and get Black Lion statuettes, they can be redeemed for infinite tools that often have glyphs.

Right now there's a set of Choya ones with glyphs that aren't half bad.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

explosivo posted:

Do we have any goons on Tarnished Coast? I saw some [GOON] and [SA] tags while starting out the LS4 quests last night and figured I'd ask.

All servers comingle outside of WvW.

Really, server picks are outdated and not something to worry about unless you want to go ham in wubz.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

^^^
Yeah I abandoned the game when it was revealed that content would have limited availability.
I have a life, motherfuckers.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Something about his delivery gives me Frisky Dingo vibes and it just makes all his appearances so much better.

Joko's influence over Aurene will have her push Tyria in to the sun.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 5, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Luggage posted:

It's got something to do with certain Sylvari - mostly first born - following their 'wyld hunt' (i.e. pretentious way to say 'destiny'). It's the sole purpose of their existence and seems to be assigney by avatar tree lady. After they have fulfilled their 'wyld hunt', Sylvari are basically ready for the compost pile. Which is interesting because that means according to the core story Sylvari player characters have been doing bonus laps ever since they defeated Zhaitan.

Yes, the ranks of pact commander and pact marshal are about as easy to tell apart as the 'wyld hunts' of the PC and Trehearne. The player characters was to kill an elder dragon, while tree boy's 'wyld hunt' only was to cleanse Orr of Zhaitan's influence. That's why he stepped back after that level 70 block of personal story missions. That still doesn't make the character any more interesting than watching paint dry though.

Sylvari can have multiple Wyld Hunts. It's not something they must do but a calling they hear during their first Dreaming. They are not required to follow it, if they don't want.

Caithe has had two so far.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm finally getting Ascended stuff on my mains and it really sucks how much it takes to make/buy them.

Yeah, yeah I know it is worth it but I don't have any crafters at a high enough level and I just want to do it now.

Nm: Got leather working to 500, at least.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 6, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rifle Mechanist is absolutely going to get nerfed in the future. It's way too easy and powerful for them to ignore it.

Thankfully Engineer is maybe the most versatile class.
Barrier Scrapper remains very powerful and sought after for stuff like raids.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Works on Ranger pets as well!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Make a Rev because they're so loving cool!!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ort posted:

I can’t get into rev sadly. I don’t like how your utilities and weapon skills all use the same resource, it creates this annoying friction between the two. I also don’t love weapon swapping so the profession with “weapon swapping extra” as their mechanic just isn’t for me. They have rad animations though.

I play base Rev with dual swords and never leave Shiro. YMMV but you don't have to swap weapons or legends.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah I don't like pvp but it can be fun if you're just goofing off.

Tab-targeting in a competitive game feels godawful to me.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Be thankful to whichever dead god you pray to that there is a currency wallet now and you don't have to physically carry around your currencies and keys around taking up slots per-character and needing to be brought to the relevant merchant with stacks in inventory and not just in your bank.

The sheer relief when that was implemented was palpable.

Second to making dungeon currency universal.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Late Unpleasantness posted:

Dyes were character bound on release.

Those were dark times.

Imagine getting black or white on a lowbie you were playing just to mess around with a new class combo.
:negative:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I wish there were more Focus builds that I liked because they get some of the best models.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

jokes posted:

Warrior focus MH/OH, and it's just a bunch of kicks and headbutts, not using the weapons at all. TWO SKULL TIME.

Once again I am crying because Anet refuses to make a martial/kickpunch class to piss me off, personally.

Edit: Actually, someone please toss me a drat good staff Daredevil build.
That's as close as it's gonna get.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My Mechanist is now fully kitted in ascended gear. Feels Good Man.

If Mechanist gets nerfed into oblivion, I hope rifle scrapper becomes a thing.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Got a makeover and the Teq crowd proved to be as charming as ever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Now gimme a trait that makes you hang in the air for 10 seconds.

Vindicator pacifist run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah I'm in the ascended tier now and it certainly is nice but I wasn't struggling to exotics.

While Legendary is the ultimate convenience, Ascended affords you a certain amount of breathing room.
I used to be intimidated by crafting pink items but once I got in to the groove, it really wasn't that bad. Just a couple things to make each day and a fair chunk of gold to spend.

Nice thing is that once you're kitted out, you can keep making components and sell them for a decent lump of gold.