Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Cutedge posted:

Someone mentioned this last thread, but what's the secret launch option i have to put in to make the Steam version use your anet account?

Here's a reddit link for it
https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/wvxqe3/logging_into_guild_wars_2_on_steam_with_an/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I made a norn male with a bowl haircut and a dumb expression intending to see what they get from the makeover kits but now I love the doofus as he is. I think I want to make him a druid and go follow the WvW crowd around.

While looking at skins I found there is a barefoot appearance for each armor weight and there are tons of the market but they are all thousands of gold (~$100 worth of gems). Apparently they are from a HoT treasure mushroom you can only see if you have the nuhoch stealth detection mastery.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Anet lemme SHOW FEET

monk class when

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I've got so many unused selection crates in my bank waiting for me to get a plan to use them. I don't want to burn it on something cool then have an idea down the line and not be able to do it anymore. This goes back decades of gaming and I guess falls into the RPG "but I might need it later" bags of unused potions meme.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Luggage posted:

Yeah, that must be some LWS or EoD mastery. I only have HoT and PoF (with masteries of both left and no Griffon unlocked) and I can't do that.

It's the last upgrade for the Crystal Champion line, bond of faith. Launch off your mounts with brief magical wings. Wiki says it unlocks when you enter any living world season 4 map besides Windswept Isles.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Xerol posted:

This isn't what I'm doing though, I'm just pressing the regular mount/dismount key and able to hop off whenever. Gravity immediately takes over unless I hit the glider.

Oh - this says you can only dismount while in the air if you have either midair rescue mastery unlocked, griffon or skyscale:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dismount

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

There's no way to skip/fast forward most walk n talks, is there? I dc'd near the end of a long instanced one and had to replay it from scratch.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I finished Chalice of Tears last night, something I was worried about doing for the Return achievements I'm finishing up. I tried doing it all myself* but ended up using 2 mesmer ports. One to recover from a short drop in a moment of frustration, and one up the final spire because I had company coming over and didn't want to restart from scratch next time. I had a bit more time than I thought so I dropped back down to where I took the port and made it to the very last jump before forgetting to set my rewinder and accidentally flinging myself off the mountain somehow. My love for jump puzzles is only exceeded by how randomly terrible at them I am. It's common that I get stuck for ages on a part I'd smoothly negotiated the previous few times, or my character decides to leap to certain death rather than hopping up a simple ledge.

I was surprised at how many people there were. That zone was the daily a couple of days ago but there were still at least two dozen people crawling and dying around the inside of that volcano, and I saw 2 people advertising help in chat. I turned away a few offers to port me through to the end, and saw lots of people assisting in various ways. One mesmer was saying they run it daily for fun and to help people out.

I'm sure I missed some collectibles in there, had someone point me to one of them, so I'll be back in someday. Maybe they'll do a return to return to living world.

*doing it myself, but with a video guide and a position rewinder. I got "blind explorations of mmos" out of my system ages ago, too many invisible walls, and too much impassable terrain that looks passable and vice versa. This game gets credit for having checkpoints on some of them at least.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I'd just burned all mine on the skyscale since you need a chunk of each LW4 currency for it, but conveniently the return achievements hand you those. So I did a few rounds of events while harvesting any nodes I came across to get the rewinder. Didn't take long.

AmbientParadox posted:

The Aurora collection requires running it 2-3 more times. One of the precursor items has some tiny coins inside the jp. 1 coin is far away so you need to leave the entire jp to get it. 1 coin is inside of a hole that, without a teleport, requires starting over. Lastly, the actual Aurora collection needs you to finish it.

I figured there was something like that. I haven't looked into any legendaries yet, besides the return to living world one I may get soon. That's my current project. 3 LW3 zones to go, then solely the storyline in LW4 and I'm done. I'm going to switch back to my guardian for LW4 since I've already done them on my revenant. Then I plan to do the recent LW1 releases and get back to world completion on my guardian (still 96% done. During vanilla I had the charr zones to go plus some in WvW. I'm not sure if the expansion and living world zones count now? Plus there are multiple wvw battlegrounds?)

This game certainly does not lack for things to do, and I love that you can mostly do it in whatever order you want with any character for the most part. No chance I'd still be playing if masteries were per character.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The game is pretty good at screwing you over sometimes. I just lost out on a timed achievement because the objects I was supposed to blow up to negate the enemy shields didn't spawn until I left the area and came back.

That said I had a blast tonight. I'm down to just the LWS4 storyline to get my legendary trinket from the Return to Living World. My revenant had already done them and I wanted someone more brainless than my guardian so I hopped on the bandwagon and unlocked mechanist with my boosted engineer. I used a flamethrower + mech + pistols no brainer build off one of the build sites and just had a glorious time setting everything on fire with my laser shooting robot buddy. I was never in any danger, I didn't have to worry about the circles of melee hell this game loves throwing at you, and if I ever got bored of shooting jets of fire everywhere I could take a break and go guns akimbo. Not a fan of engineers in my fantasy rpgs but for a change its just what I needed and will finish out this return achievement chain for me.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

That's the good and bad thing about this game, there's always more, lots more, especially early on. You might take a "quick" detour to get your glider and raptor, but then if you stick it out just a bit longer you get your bunny and glider, then you'll want to get the masteries up a bit so they get their upgrades, then the griffon is in sight, and thats not even getting into the weeds of the living world seasonal content or the new expansion.

Then when you try to go back to the original story and low level content you might feel bad thinking you could be making mastery progress if you played your 80 instead. Or you'll get tempted to try one of the fun elite specializations when running around leveling a base character.

Meanwhile the people with all the masteries replay the low level story over and over to farm keys for lootboxes.

Before you know it you'll be barrel rolling along on a pink storm dragon, swinging a disco ball around, and glowing so brightly from your neon pastel bling that players in the other map instances won't know why they are shading their eyes.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Humans are definitely both the hot elves and the basic humans of GW2, appealing to both types of players.

My female norn revenant main is in the bottom half of that chart, partly because revenants are still less played than the older classes.

I'm torn on my upcoming elementalist because I need a male human and a female asura to complete my set of voice actors, but I really like the official art for weaver (human female of course). I always end up deleting any human males I make because nolan north doesn't fit the look (usually a grizzly adams type or the closest I can come to it). Haven't taken a female asura past the tutorial yet.

For charr I've got a male mesmer and a female engineer.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

fully armored space marine norn best norn

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Return to LW achievements done and with it I got my first legendary, the trinket. It was fun and got me to do a bunch of stuff I may have ignored otherwise.

AN does a good job keeping old stuff relevant. You might need luck or timing for a specific bounty or event but in general there are people everywhere doing everything and that's great.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I'll bite, what's the reference in the picture?

I'm going to try to start WvW this week, I'm on a different server or I'd have joined goon WvWednesday long ago. I'm running out of excuses to avoid it. I want to do the anniversary achievement, maybe get the cat mount, and see if I like it since it has been a while.

Looking at a few build websites I can run trap dragonhunter, support firebrand, hammer herald, or banner spellbreaker on characters I have plenty of pve experience on. I can also do scourge or scrapper but they are boosted so I'd have a lot to learn. Firebrand is kind of daunting with everything it has access to, and honestly I don't really like the feel of dual sword assassin revenant (used by the meta hammer herald). Any advice?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

poo poo, the thumbnail did it. I should have known.

whydirt posted:

WvW builds depend heavily on what you’re wanting to do in the game mode. Flipping camps for easy reward tracks, roaming for solo/small fights, and being in a large squad are all very different.

Camps and large squad depending how active things are on Sanctum of Rall. I was looking at zerg builds to start with, but might end up doing camps just to get some stuff done. I always liked the big fights the most in Dark Age of Camelot, though my dial up internet wasn't a fan.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 26, 2022

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Actuarial Fables posted:

Is there a time when you think you'd be WvWing? I know of a few SoR groups, might be able to point you towards them

I usually get going a bit after reset a few nights a week and play for a few hours. I looked into WvW about a year ago in the last thread but didn't end up trying before I took another break from the game. I might get distracted here with some HoT stuff I want to do yet and the halloween events. But I do want to dig in sooner rather than later in case I do find I can start plugging away at tracks and armor.

I've got some pvp experience from other games, but haven't done any in this one since a bit after release. I do need to learn more of what the classes can do, its only recently that I'm finally starting to recognize what all the icons are.

Maybe I'll suicide into the arena matches for that decade of dragons achievement and get my feet wet that way.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I've got a bigger appreciation for HoT now than I did my first time through. My guardian dying so much when I first went there (and LWS2) to do the story is why I completely ditched that class for warrior then revenant then necro, seeking a more survivable character. I'm just now getting back to that character years later and am doing much better with more experience. I did a bunch of HoT events throughout the last two nights and it went much better knowing what to prioritize and watch out for.

It also helps that a lot of HoT is trivialized with mounts. I went back and finished the map exploration last night. I feel bad for the number of gliding jump puzzles I skipped over. Even in the maze of Tangled Depths skyscale lets you zip along over the heads of the chak and mushrooms that swarmed me my first time there making it a lot more painless.

Working towards getting Ydalir the dragonhunter long bow, just a few mastery levels to go. I also got a herald ascended shield collection update from a boss kill which makes me want to go and unlock all the other elite spec collections to have active. I think some of the newer ones are "do X on the proper class" but it looks like a lot of it is open to whatever you are playing which is nice.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

You can go get the mounts from Path of Fire if you don't mind story sequence breaking, and the glider from either of the other two expansions.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

What's a decent tip for an HoT HP run? First three zones.

I tagged along on a few last night and he was asking for gold, ectos or mystic coins. I gave him the 10 ectos I got on the trip but later decided that wasn't enough and sent gold. I'd been doing like 1-2 gold before that which I think would add up considering 25-50 people in the squad but at one point the commander mentioned he'd only received 4 tips so far. Which most people wait til the end, fair enough, but had me wonder how many people just tag along and don't tip. I've been on a few that were clusterf*cks but got the job done, this guy was pretty streamlined though. He'd use turtle, tag, and target symbol for visibility, having multiple ports plus his jade waypoint set in advance, going back for stragglers without wasting too much time, and repeating kills fast for the tail before moving on. He also did a reflex test in one spot where he'd set the portal at an angle where they'd fall to their death if they didn't pop their glider in time, which slowed us down but was funny every time (I use a skyscale to keep up in those areas but would have totally died there).

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Fair enough. I just figured there were better things to do with his time to make money than herd cats for 3 hours (2+ runs a night) but I guess it depends how much everyone else was tipping. Most people I've seen just say "tips welcomed" in their LFG ad, this one at about 1/3 and 2/3 through would mention the ectos and mystics because he's working on an aurene legendary.

I decided last week to finish leveling all my characters to 80 and unlock all the elite specs, both to open up their collections and to try them out before settling on one I like to WvW and do strikes with. So I've been watching like a hawk for HP runs during my playtime and he's been regular enough for me to take 4 characters along so I've been happy with that. Many of the HoT spots require groups so its nice to knock them out in less time than it would take me to solo the PoF or EoD spots, especially with an ungeared character I'm not familiar with.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

A friend just came back after 9 years, no expansions. They gave him the raptor but with a timer. Just long enough for him to get used to it before losing it. He's still holding firm waiting for an expansion sale but mostly by restarting new characters when his raptor timer runs out (its apparently per character). His last hope is a Black Friday sale but he is very close to caving and getting the HoT-PoF bundle at full price after seeing the hopper and glider in action.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Aster0ids posted:

And maguuma is where goons are i think? Its full right now, does that ever change or am i gently caressed with that?

It only matters for WvW and they are about to run another beta test of a system to fix that. They've been talking it up for a while now though and there is no ETA for a full release.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Mohawk Potato posted:

When does that start?

Next Tuesday the 18th.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The difference in learning a new fight with a berserker caster (even reaper) and a celestial machinist is a bit night and day. In this case talking about the destroyer lieutenants in Draconis Mons that you fight on the calderas. There's some room for improvement as I learn their attack patterns and play a bit more safely with the reaper, but its the difference between "Oh poo poo it's looking at me... welp outright defeated before I can tap the dodge button" and "oh huh my health bar actually moved guess I better saunter out of this burning puke". The range helps.

I got my guardian's lunatic armor made so next up is my necro so I can flip to support scourge.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The lunatic armor currently available is stat selectable exotic armor that is bound to account so you can pass it between your other characters of the same armor type. You have to craft it, and each recipe costs 1000 candy corn (1 cob), or twice that for the chest armor, per each armor weight. It does take some ascended materials and some halloween materials but its pretty quick and easy to make if you've already leveled your crafting.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

If you get the skyscale don't do what I did and immediately move away from POF zones without spending the tiny bit of time to get the masteries. I did a lot of stuff in between getting skyscale and getting the mastery that lets you burn endurance to launch off a cliffside for more flight time, and I can't tell you how many times I got stuck just below the lip of a cliff. I went back for return to season 4 and got all the masteries then saw how much frustration I could have avoided.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I played at release and quit when my friends moved on to other games because there was nothing left to do but PvP and farm for legendaries. First return fell through when I saw I'd already missed part of season one forever. And the second I saw people complaining the harder HoT hero points and challenges would never be done again months after its release. Which is hilarious because, while still not easy, they are done many times daily these days.

I'm glad I came back after hearing how great mounts were, the game is in a great spot now with lots of players new and old, and support for most of a decade of content. I'm currently on another break, secure I won't miss anything permanently and can pop back anytime.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

We need playable centaurs that say "I could outrun a human."

and playable quaggan. Foo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Foundational text #1 acquired

The rest are in the mail. I expect they will be bad, but entertaining.

I like that it looks like the dog is trying to ensure you throw it in the wastebasket.

I don't remember much about them but I recapped all three for a friend so I skimmed my old emails. Ghosts of Ascalon was my favorite, with some interesting characters. Sea of Sorrows I mostly made fun of all the timeskips. Edge of Destiny was the worst but also tied into the GW2 story the most since it was the original story of Destiny's Edge leading up to the game.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 16, 2024