Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kris xK posted:

Long time players break out your crystal ball and put in your tinfoil hat cause I have a vague rear end question :

"Historically, how reactionary are anet nerfs?"

I'm one on the multititude of new steam players currently clogging up your screen with an ugly jade robot. I didn't know engineer was fotm when I picked it but it clearly is. I'm really enjoying it, but I don't want to get super invested in case anet take it out back and shoots it. So in the past, how have their nerfs been generally?

fwiu there's a pattern of heavy-handed nerfs followed by post-nerf adjustments to bring the nerfed specs back up to being reasonably strong and fun again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

sPvP is honestly pretty fun *if* you can avoid getting tilted by how incomprehensibly dumb most of your teammates will be. People that haven't learned the basic map mechanics after 10 years, people going AFK the second your team is down by 5 points, people changing their spec before a match and then forgetting to equip weapons that they can actually use...

The actual meat of the game mode is pretty fun and it's a shame they just abandoned it completely after the embarrassing e-sports thing.

ime it's not hard to have fun in spvp playing mirage because it's really hard for players that aren't coordinated to pin you down and prevent you from carrying a bad team on your back

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i used to hate ground aoe skills but after getting familiar with the radius i just started double tapping instead of clicking and it works pretty well

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i don't remember a ton about old LA but I do remember it having a lot less pointless empty space

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

scrapper is pretty fun, will pve builds change much with the proposed upcoming changes or will that mostly affect wvw?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Luggage posted:

Most changes of the upcoming patch will affect all modes of play. The ones that don't specifically say "in PvP/WvW". So for example the change to gyros will affect PvE as well. Kinetic Accelerators creating might and fury instead of quickness is in competitive modes only.

i know they'll get most of the changes in all modes, what i'm asking is what impact those changes will have if any on the builds people are using in pve

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

bagrada posted:

I'll bite, what's the reference in the picture?

to give you a chance to figure it out: the animals are a hint

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i got surprised early on there with how hard the vines hit in melee but after starting to dodge that more often i havent had too many problems

it's definitely the point where you want some form of sustain in your build though

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

I booted the game after... I guess I stopped playing a few months after launch. I got bombarded by gifts and dyes and decided to make a mesmer to start fresh again.

Is mesmer still god awful to level?

i did it recently and it was fine. having the most cohesive build you can manage at your level/hero points can make a big difference. sword is good for power shatter, staff is good for condition damage, etc.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there's a lot of easily soloable HPs in the PoF maps once you have the three basic mounts, you'll probably get pretty deep into your elite just picking them up on the side as you do the story

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

over time you come to learn the problem enemies and how to deal with them. i.e. the snipers are overtuned but that just makes it really funny to reflect their bullshit back at them

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

imo the skimmer is nice too, some maps have a lot of water and swimming sucks. less immediately useful than the others for sure though

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

pof has some bosses that are pretty fun solo at least

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

elementalists should be given gravity magic to aid in their rotations

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

#1 QoL update I'd like to see would be having a singular dedicated rune slot instead of slotting them into armor+breather, just add a way to combine 6 runes into a single one.
I bet it would be a sobering statistic to find out how many regular players run around with less then 6 of the same superior rune.

it's a pretty blatant case of design not being accommodated by the execution (the full set effects are too good and the midpoint bonuses when they even exist are too bad for hybridizing to work at all)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

honestly core story is pretty forgettable and I didn't get much more out of it than if I had read a plot summary. the order mentors have more personality than like anyone else in core but that's like the only positive takeaway I had.

the writing quality jump from core to LW1 was massive.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

HampHamp posted:

I've been playing this for a few months now, and man I'm so conflicted about some of the design choices. On the whole I love it, it's super fun to explore, the classes all seem fun to play, environment design is often fantastic.

But it just feels as though they have all these big ideas for encounters and story beats, which the game engine is simply not robust enough to handle. I often feel like I cannot parse what's going on in an encounter because there's just too many things happening, and the feedback isn't there. On a number of occasions I've just died for no apparent reason. Everything can feel so messy!

The big boss fight at the end of... I think Path of Fire? was almost comical in how many visual effects were going off. It also went on way too long, which is the case for a lot of the story missions. And some of the achievements seem like fun little alternate ways to play, but most of them are either stupidly difficult, or extremely buggy to the point I've just started ignoring them.

I don't mean to be too negative, as like I said I love the game generally! It just feels like it could be so much better with some restraint, and just a bit more clarity and feedback with combat especially.

I also kinda love the achievement system, although again it feels very weirdly implemented. For me it acts more like a quest log, with lots of interesting little treasure hunts and reasons to revisit stuff and dig a little deeper into the game. But the menu for browsing achievements is very difficult to use, with cool stuff just buried away in nested menus. Overhauling this into more of a quest log type interface I feel would massively improve things, although I understand this would be a huge amount of work considering how complex and layered the achievement system is.

gw2 definitely could use an engine overhaul, a lot of its good aspects are in spite of real shaky foundations. probably way too late into its life cycle for this to happen rather than a sequel game

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the great thing about GW2 is that there's always something to do you're not caught up on. the terrible thing about GW2 is that there's always something to do you're not caught up on.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is it ever explained at any point in the story how Scarlet has access infinite resources and can just pop in a city sized drill or puppet out of nowhere?

iirc she bootstrapped her resources through using what she got from the molten alliance to steal poo poo

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there's like massive cycles of events in core maps that are "drat! these guys who turned out to be brought together by Scarlet sure are wreaking havoc and stealing poo poo!"

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i could take or leave the others but marjory, kasmeer, and canach are great

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Strong composition. Weak composition. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled gamers should try to win with their favorites.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

jokes posted:

There's an image of a dragon's minion in your dream, not an elder dragon.

specifically it's one of mordremoth's minions and its presence retroactively becomes a bit of foreshadowing to what the sylvaris' deal is

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

play Vindicator and heal every time you jump! (don't actually do this it's pretty bad)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it took a bit of practice to get better at surviving things like champions on vindicator, i had to break out of the habit of just using every jump on cooldown and instead keep one stocked in the back pocket for avoiding big hits. it can be down to the wire sometimes but that makes it pretty fun.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ive been a bit scared of playing elementalist specs because they have a reputation for being really fiddly and my RSI risk is higher than ever

that and i'm full on character slots, don't want to delete any I have, and don't feel like buying more

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The shackles around the neck warn passersby not to lend an ear to their sermons

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mr. Neutron posted:

A tunnel.

Said it before, gonna say it again - the S1 rerelease completely killed all the EoD momentum and great reception. They really should've left that 2012 jank rest in piece. Maybe do a slightly more elaborate cutscene to recap the story and introduce the characters, but that should've been it.

they should have taken the opportunity to make even more of it lesbian

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

*inhaling mine dust* im so sorry Shimbleshanks the Railway Cat...i wasn't there to save you...

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

they should give bladesworn a profession mechanic cannon that fires swords

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

Golly I'm glad I play this game exclusively as a single player title

i get enough performance anxiety in job interviews why would i want to replicate that experience in my online games for the sake of earning like 5 gold or whatever

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i touched party finder like 3 times and with roulettes i didn't have to submit my resume and prove in the interview I have 5-10 years of experience killing Norm of the North

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Because breakbars didn't appear til HoT

I mean that's an issue, so much old content is just left languishing in its 10-year-old state because it still runs so that's good enough

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there is no holy trinity but by the combination of player expectations and build design there's a loose bimodal distribution of DPS/Support that hinges on so small a number of factors (mainly buff distribution) that overarching party roles and responsibilities are extremely uniform and "optimal" builds are very constrained. the details of how a build plays moment-to-moment can still be fun but it doesn't always feel great when your role is boiled down to providing quickness, alacrity, or both

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

my mesmer gripe is i wish mirage could offhand axe, i like how axes look dual wielded

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cZqRzHnI8s

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

drat they messed with scrapper right when i started playing it...i hope i can still get enough quickness off with finishers

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

really sad about scrapper it can still distribute quickness ok kind of but doing so is exponentially more stressful and you take a hit subbing in throw mine to replace nades if you want to make it a little more comfortable.

you pretty much have to use hammer 3 on CD for the double finisher and it's got a really long animation lock that fucks with your ability to keep in motion for mechanics

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

jokes posted:

It's a ranged weapon where they use the staff like a shovel to launch rocks at the enemy. Core warrior has no magic other than signets and anger.

i imagined they'd be bonking things on the head, like daredevil but with brute force instead of finesse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ive always wanted a mesmer mainhand focus with ESP flavor that inflicts confusion and fear