Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mode 7 posted:

I’m riddled with indecision about what profession to play. What should I play assuming I likely don’t have the attention span to make alts and want to get an experience that’s fun, frictionless, and showcases unique stuff GW2 does well as opposed to other MMOs? Short time from start to “fun” and variety of play styles a plus.

One of the things GW2 does well as opposed to other MMOs is alts, really. They are trivial to level, but most of the time you won't need to since the game throws level-up scrolls, books and boosts at you. Many of the things you do at end-game are account-wide, e.g. mounts, masteries, currency, even ascended gear (best stat-wise gear in the game). You can join a group, swap to another character, and remain in the group, for example. People frequently do this in end-game content.

As others have said, engineer (mechanist - requires End of Dragons) and guardian (firebrand - requires Path of Fire) are kinda broken good at the moment, but don't worry about switching characters if you want to try something different. You can boost an alt to end-game and have gear that's not the best, but will be very close and work in anything but high-level fractals or top-end challenge modes in about 10 minutes, assuming you have a small amount of in-game currency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Most if not all professions have at least one decent support spec, but the most desirable in the current meta for PvE are probably mechanist and firebrand. Specter, druid and scourge are also very strong, but most people are looking for HAMs (heal/alac mechanist) or HFBs (heal/quick firebrand). Druids see a fair bit of play in raids too, and heal scourge are situationally desired. Note that the meta doesn't necessarily reflect the actual usefulness or power of the specs, it's more about what people are familiar with.

PvP and WvW are very different though, I don't play enough of them to know the meta there.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Dzurlord posted:

I know this is just How MMOs Do, but I'm still hovering around 2-4 gold for the most part. Should I hit up the guild chats for dungeons or fractals? (Assuming my babbyass 80 gear is okay for them.) Try out WvW? What's the most straightforward way to dial up my income? (Which will also help me with my attempts to get decent crafting skills, for sure.)

For PvE:

Fractals are actually fairly expensive to gear for past T1 since they require ascended gear for agony resist, but are decent cash if you do the dailies each day.

Strike missions and raids ironically have no real barriers to progress beyond the skill of the group. Full exotic gear will be more than enough for anything except a few challenge modes. It's usually pretty quick and easy to do at least the 3 easy IBS strikes and the daily strikes - though watch out for Harvest Temple in EoD, it's significantly more complex than other strikes. Dragonstorm is fast and drops a few gold in tradable items - you can do this in a public instance, or many strike groups will do it in smaller groups. Strikes and raids can also drop ascended gear which can help gearing up for fractals.

Certain map meta-events are good income to do once per-day. If you can get in a well organised meta-train you can expect around 20g/hr for its duration. You can see what's going on here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Event_timers. If you just want to do a single event until you hate the game, there's constantly running metas in drizzlewood and silverwastes.

Fishing is 30g/hr+ if you know what you're doing and enjoy staring at a fishing minigame for hours on end.

Generally, just playing the game doing whatever you enjoy will make a fairly consistent amount of money, though there's a lot of time-gating - just doing one thing repeatedly will usually hit diminishing returns very quickly. One thing to bear in mind is most of your income will come from selling materials and drops on the trading post. If you're just banking that stuff, you might be sitting on a bit of cash already.

..btt fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 15, 2022

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
If you're getting 500 per hour, that puts it at about 15.5g per hour (ignoring any other drops, and TP losses) which is significantly worse than most of the metas: https://fast.farming-community.eu/open-world/meta. It does have the advantage of being pretty brain-dead, and always running though.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
You guys realise you don't have to do the story, right? There are a few rewards you can get from it, but nothing that important. If you're not enjoying it just do something else.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I'll stand by my recommendation not to do something you don't find fun in a video game!

I think griffon as your first flying mount isn't the best idea anyway - the only unique thing it does is going fast sideways and down. It's a luxury item imo. The skyscale actually lets you do things you couldn't otherwise do and can replace most of the other mounts for most things. Also, neither requires you complete all the story, only specific bits of it. You don't need to complete HoT or the core story to get the griffon.

There's a whole load of story at this point, don't force yourself to do it if you're not enjoying it. You can always come back later. If there's something you want to get, you can just go straight for it. Or you can not - there's no one "correct" way to play.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
That is also true.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
don't forget group stability and distortion!

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Apparently there's a bug where buying gems through steam re-enables the new account trading post limitations. It should pass in ~5 days. Stupid and annoying, but your account should be fine.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, dungeons were pretty much abandoned, the rewards are fairly poor for the time and effort required. People generally only do them when they need the tokens for runes that can only be acquired from that content. Fractals essentially replace them, but are end-game only. The LFG for fractals is quite active.

It sounds like you're trying to do dungeons while levelling, and I'd say unless you're really, really into the story I'd skip them. If you want to do them while levelling, make your own group and people should join eventually. People are very scared of advertising their groups.

It's probably not a popular opinion here, but I'd skip levelling altogether even on your first character, assuming you have a level 80 boost from buying an expansion. Levelling is more or less vestigal in this game. You can do all the same content you'd do while levelling, normalised, at max level and get account progress instead of "useless" character experience, as well as gaining access to elite specs, which can drastically change how your character plays. The core game is so ridiculously easy you're not really going to learn anything from levelling up, except maybe bad habits that will get you killed in the expansion content.

Not that you need to be in a rush to do anything though, there's no vertical progression in this game, so you won't ever get left behind.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

Videos say boons are good, which seems obvious, but I don't generate alacrity/quickness so I should switch to something that does? Can mechs heal reasonably well or do I need to roll a separate class for a defensive support? If everyone is supposed to stand in the pretty circles why am I ranged?

In PvE, for everything but end-game group content, do whatever, who cares? Game is easy. For end-game group content (raids, strikes, T4 fractals), the ideal group will have (per 5-man subgroup):

1 quickness provider (100%+ uptime)
1 alacrity provider (100%+ uptime)
1 healer/support build

you'll also want some other buffs, like might, fury, etc, but these are generally common enough in specs that you don't need to build the group around them. Most commonly people will look for a HAM (heal alac mechanist) or HFB (heal firebrand) to fulfil the "hard" support role, as HAM provides alac and HFB provides quickness. This fills two of the above roles so you can grab a dps with the boon you lack, then grab some random dps for the other slots.

Playing as mech, you can HAM, which is a fairly complex hard support which can absolutely fill the healer role in the group via medkit and barrier generation. Here's a build:
https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/builds/engineer/heal-alacrity-mechanist/

There are also a few dps builds, including an alacrity-providing dps build like this:
https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/builds/engineer/power-alacrity-mechanist/
But note that mech dps has been repeatedly nerfed to the point where it's not actually very good damage and requires micromanagement of a pet with awful AI.

The range thing is a key aspect of PvE in this game. People stand together partly because of the above boons - they are extremely powerful, and many providers have a very short range on their application abilities. Also, there are aoe heals, and the downed mechanic strongly encourages stacking - much easier to revive someone at your feet than over the other side of the room. Range is still a very significant advantage when it comes to dps though, because there are very few encounters where you can just stand still and do your rotation at the enemy's feet.

Mailer posted:

Where do I go to find out what to do for gold, and are those places even available without a given LW unlocked?

There are many, many answers to this question. Generally though, do the content you enjoy, sell the things that drop, and money will come in. If you really want to optimise, jumping into an organised meta-train will be extremely hard to beat, though will generally have the expectation that you can access most of the maps in the game. You can check out this site to work out relative profit of various activities, accounting for current TP prices: https://fast.farming-community.eu/open-world/meta. Or you can fish I guess.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

I don't ever see myself as the guy with all the legendaries because A) no raiding due to timeslot and B) I left my tryhard endgame raider status in TBC-era WoW, so I'm happy just completing things and playing lots of classes/roles and stopping at pink gear. Once I have a handle on all of the mechanics I'll probably roll a second character for a more dedicated support using whatever is the FotM at the time.

Legendaries are very long term projects, generally, but I would say raids are probably a lot more accessible than you're expecting. I'm on EU and can pug a successful raid pretty easily, without needing kill proof. I understand in NA you need to use a discord instead though, because no-one uses raid LFG there. Someone who plays there can probably tell you what it is. If you've done wow raiding and understand the guild wars 2 basics, you should be able to just look up a guide then jump straight in. Hardstuck has great written guides: https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/guides/raids/ Mukluk has done a series of (very short) videos: https://mukluklabs.com/gw2-raid-guides.

Definitely don't sleep on strikes though, assuming you have access - they're probably never going to make another raid in favour of strike missions, which are essentially a raid boss but without any trash. Also great money - you can do the daily EoD strike and the fast 5 IBS strikes each day to maximise rewards. They can even drop ascended gear, and give tokens so you can buy it.

Demon_Corsair posted:

T3 fractals are the worst time I've had in this game. PUG groups with at least two people who aren't good enough to ever make t4 and blame it on you.

If you decide to do fractals, just grind t2 until you have enough agony to jump directly t4.

I've heard this from a lot of different sources, but it wasn't my experience at all. T3 was smooth all the way through for me, just doing the dailies and recs every day in random pugs. Sometimes the group would wipe, but generally people just ran back, gave it another go and did better. I've seen more rage quitters and toxicity in T4, though this is "some" as opposed to "none". People are mostly pretty chill in this game.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Could probably use a link to mukluk labs. I'm not a fan of his "humour" but found his videos very useful when getting into the game, and his get-to-the-point series on raids is invaluable:

https://mukluklabs.com/gw2

And Hardstuck is a great resource for builds and written guides for all game modes:

https://hardstuck.gg/

Also I didn't see a link to [fast], which is useful if you want to work out the most profitable thing to do:

https://fast.farming-community.eu/

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

How decked out is your character as a non-boosted 80 compared to the booster gear? Like should I be saving exotics (not perfect exotics, but usable) for alts?

A non-boosted 80 will just have whatever rewards they got from level-ups, drops, etc. Most frequently it will be low level crap when you first hit 80. But exotic gear can be bought off the TP fairly cheaply for a lot of stats. Be aware of named gear - Zhed's / Nika's / Devona's is usually significantly cheaper than gear with bezerker in the name, for example: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Named_armor

Regarding ascended gear, this is also on the wiki:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_equipment

The most direct route for armour and weapons is probably crafting, but it's also complex and requires upfront investment to level the various crafting skills you'll need. It is a bit of a sink for all the account-bound ascended materials the game constantly piles on you at 80 though. Strikes are probably where I've seen the most ascended gear outright drop, and they also reward prophet shards that can be used to buy pieces - as well as being a great source of gold.

Bear in mind if you have an ascended piece in the right armour class, you can stat-swap for a price using the mystic forge: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stat_changing#Ascended_weapons_and_armor

Also, ascended gear is account bound, so if you can be bothered you can move it between multiple characters of the same armour weight

For trinkets, living world 3 & 4 are an easy source of stat-selectable items, but I think you don't have those unlocked. Achievements for the expansion storylines can reward some, but this is obviously limited as it can't be repeated. Rings drop a fair amount in fractals.

Special mention for ritualist's back piece, which they just didn't add to the game, so you can't get it unless you have a legendary back piece.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

My understanding is that it's usually cheapest to buy what you need rather than craft it. But, really, the thing to do is to check https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator

E: and buying what you need and selling what you don't is basically your best option. Well, you salvage what you don't need and sell the materials, because materials are always in demand. Unlike other RPGs it's seldom that something drops that you need that can't be bought on the trading post.

Most ascended materials and all ascended gear are account bound. You can't trade it, you can only trade for most materials needed to craft it. It's likely cheaper to just buy the gear with, e.g. strike tokens and gold though.

Huh, I have Ad Infinitum myself, but that's useful to know.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mover posted:

Necro on the other hand is generally recommended for beginners. It’s an extremely forgiving class to level and learn on that has some very nice newbie crutches in the form of pets to aggro for you and a whole second health bar and some nice built in sustain. At endgame it has a nice variety of viable builds—variety not just in role but in basic play-style, which is nice. None of them are really top tier and it’s been that way for a while, but a well-played one is always welcome and balance shifts pretty dramatically with patches, generally.

I mean, Scourge has been pretty broken-overpowered since its release. Heal scourge is the ultimate group carry. It just doesn't neatly fit into the support-heal, support-dps + 3 dps meta group compositions.

But yeah, all professions are viable - you'll have no problem in any of the content in the game if you spec and gear properly and know what you're doing. I'd say elementalist is near the bottom of the pack at the moment, at least in PvE, but that doesn't really matter for anything.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

It's on the list, along with copper-fed and some other stuff once I've secured the gems to nab all the LW during the next sale. I'm fine with eating the silver to port to events and stuff. Mostly I just want to find out things (like clicking on the tag to join a non-LFG meta) that drastically ramp up money and fun that existed all along but require one bit of information to access.

World bosses are very poor income if you chain them, probably around 2-3g an hour. I'd skip the world boss portal device, which would take many years of active play to pay itself off even if it was worth using, and instead spend some of that money on a commander tag. It will be especially valuable for you as you play at off-peak hours.

ApeHawk posted:

hope a commander is doing private DS

Mailer posted:

Do ya'll just check the timers and roam the world looking for commander tags to hopefully get in on some metas? Do public strikes ever actually happen?

Why not make your own group, rather than joining the likely 100+ people staring at that section of the LFG interface waiting for someone else to click the button? I'd suggest for strikes you do "fast 5 IBS, daily EoD + DS" as one group. It's what anyone quickly looking to do their daily strike stuff will be after, and a huge chunk of rewards for 30m or so effort. Though I should mention for full rewards you'll want most of the IBS masteries unlocked.

If you're lost on group composition, there's this tool being developed that can help: https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/team-builder/. But honestly, you can't go far wrong with 1 alac, 1 quick and 1 heal per subgroup, in some combination. Do make subgroups though, they are very strong - if you don't have a commander tag you'll need to convince someone else to tag up, or get people to drag themselves to the correct subgroup. Strikes are pretty easy provided everyone in-group is familiar with them. A lot of people like to take a heal scourge for boneskinner only, since so many people gently caress up the extremely simple mechanics, and heal scourge is an overpowered group carry.

For meta-trains, it's a bit more difficult, though I have joined random commanders doing short ones. I'm on EU so can't give too much guidance here, but the real profitable meta-trains are usually organised and regular, e.g. Hardstuck does them daily on NA and EU: https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/guides/events/meta-event-train-the-compendium/. You need to be on their discord to join (or know who is in it and /sqjoin on them). There will be other regular trains organised on discord, no doubt. On EU at least, many streamers run them too.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I do wish the interface had some way to easily recognize who is providing the alac/quick/heals without having to ask and keep track of character swaps, like a tiny icon on the side of the class icon.

There's an arcdps module that does that, and also tracks uptime to make sure they're doing it well. But yeah it would be great if it was in the default UI - like many, many other things.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

404notfound posted:

I mean, what is "worth using?" If your only motivation is generating gold, then yeah, it's not really worth it. But it announces when a world boss is coming up and gives you a free teleport there, which is a low-intensity activity that runs on a constant cycle and is easy to slot in between other activities.

Sure, you can get most of the way there by keeping "/wiki et" open in a separate window; but as a convenience item priced at $5 USD, it seems just about right if you're into doing random open-world activities. The equivalent device for the HoT metas, on the other hand, is maybe less useful, since it just cycles through those same four activities (plus Dry Top sandstorms), which occur on a very predictable schedule

To clarify, it costs money to buy, and costs money (in terms of efficiency) every time you use it. Ignoring that world bosses are bad money, the benefit it gives is not costing ~2 silver to teleport there, but it currently costs ~136 gold. Or ~6,800 teleports.

You're right that it does alert you when a world boss is coming up, but as Saraiguma said, you can just use the blish module for that, which isn't limited to only world bosses, and can be disabled if annoying.

If you like it then fine, get and use it. But I don't think it's an effective use of money when starting out playing the game.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, that's fair, of course. My first response was to Mailer who was specifically looking to increase his farming efficiency, which the world boss teleporter is useless for, imo.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

You need experience to get a job, but without a job how do you get experience. :v:

You try. And maybe fail. Who cares? It's just a game. It might even be funny. Personally I learn a lot more from loving up than from being successful the first time I try something.

Mailer posted:

I sneak by with being observant but if you asked me to rattle off the attacks/strategies I wouldn't know what to tell you as it's 99% instinct and doing what other people do. People generally expect at least some level of encounter knowledge and you lose half the group on a wipe so I'm happy to try to play well and absorb knowledge instead of trying to lead. A year from now when 300g isn't a thing and I can be assed slogging through wpvp then sure I'll tag up and repay the favor. As a bonus I'll own IBS then so I won't be limited to level 1 masteries gained from points earned in strikes. In the meantime... yeah keep refreshing that LFG.

Edit: Should probably clarify that these are all questions from a ~one month account and not someone with everything unlocked and knowledge about all the maps. I ask generally broad questions like that because I get a dozens responses and at least half of those wind up being something I can easily do to fatten my wallet. :)

I think I do understand how you feel, because I felt that way when I started. I'm telling you - you don't need encyclopedic knowledge of the game to click the create group button and advertise on LFG. If I could tell noob-me one thing about the game with the knowledge I have now, it would be that: do strikes, create your own groups. The commander tag is useful for not relying on people to drag themselves to the correct group, but that's pretty much all you need it for in strikes.

If you can communicate with others and read a guide or watch a short video you will be better than the leaders of 90% of the LFG groups that I have joined - you must have been in groups yourself where the commander has said nothing, start to end. Skipping Harvest Temple when it's the EoD daily is quite common... but I would say just learn it. It's not particularly hard, it just has a lot of phases. I think it's a fun fight actually.

How about this: try making a group for IBS EZ3 - none of these bosses (Shiverpeaks Pass + Fraenir + Claw/Voice) require experience or strategy beyond "switch at 30%" for Claw/Voice, which everyone will already know. You don't even need proper group composition or subgroups, just try to grab one healer - or spec HAM and heal yourself. You could advertise in strike training LFG and mention that you're new. See how it goes. I bet it's smoother than you expect.

Or don't. I'm not trying to force you to play the game my way, I'm just trying to explain these barriers you think exist actually don't :)

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Trahearne's voice actor sounds like a text-to-speech engine a lot of streamers use to read donations, it's so bad. Completely devoid of emotion.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Trip report: Dragon's End with 50 core ele's camping fire attunement. And one guy who insisted on playing tempest...

Result:

6:30 remaining, better than most LFG groups I've joined :v:

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Nah, at least post-nerf it's not just random - the hardstuck meta trains literally never fail DE, and I'm sure there are plenty of other regular groups that are the same. If your dps is high enough there won't even be time for many swaps.

If enough players have a basic idea of combat mechanics and the fight itself, you'll always succeed. Which should tell you all you need to know about the average open-world meta player :(

..btt fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 30, 2023

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, I've said it before, but the biggest obstacle to group content in this game is that people are absolutely petrified of creating their own groups. There is this perception that you need to know everything about the game to lead a noob group, when in fact all you need to do is click a button and maybe type one or two things in chat if you really want to go above and beyond.

Meskhenet posted:

What time saturday, thats going to be like my sunday, :/

If you're looking to raid regularly, it'd be worth checking out the Skein Gang discord. Its purpose is to help people find static groups at times and experience levels that work for them. I'm sure there will be people there who are active when you are.

https://twitter.com/snebzor/status/1540091718145429505?lang=en-GB

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

It definitely sounds like you'd like Guardian. Firebrand is my current happy place. My original main just kind of... fishes now.

Speaking of, and I brought this up earlier in chat, is qdps Firebrand being the squishiest of squishies a normal thing or a "solved by dumping 105g into Ritualist" thing? I was eyeballing cele, since a bit more healing and tankiness generally goes over well in fractals/solo and I've got my Viper gear (plus some Ritualist trinkets) to roll with metas/strikes where healing usually isn't a problem.

I guess the core question is if Ritualist vitality on my six armor slots will make me tanky enough over my existing Viper gear to push through T2 or if I should just save the gold and go cele until I can do proper Ritualist/Harriers ascended sets later on.

Edit: Actually, and maybe I'm missing something, is there a reason I wouldn't just grind armorsmithing to 500 (presumably needed anyway for ascended) and make the dumb Ritualist myself? The cost difference (at least on gw2efficiency) seems pretty compelling. I usually miss subtleties on these things, though. :/

Firebrand is pretty awesome. Condi-quick should work great with cele and means your heals will be significantly stronger too, so you can play a pretty good hybrid. As to whether Ritualist's will increase your survivability... I'd say in PvE in most instances your survivability is about avoiding attacks, not tanking them. If by T2 you mean fractals, I don't think regearing will help you much at all. T2 isn't much harder than T1, and shouldn't require a healer, focus on avoiding mechanics. Guardian especially has a lot of utility skills to help with that. Firebrand doesn't have the best sustain, but I wouldn't categorise them as "squishy".

If you don't hate crafting it's worth spending the time to level the various skills. It'll give you some flexibility around gearing other characters or specs, and the option to increase your profit from drops over just selling basic materials in certain instances (though factor in the opportunity cost of time spent if you do this). Getting Ritualist recipes is a little annoying - you'll need to complete the echovald wilds meta to get a single recipe from the reward chest or buy them for laurels and imperial favors. Bear in mind most ascended armor recipes cost gold and laurels to buy.

There's also the option to use the mystic forge to re-stat gear without any tradeskill, and many exotic insignia are not account bound (Ritualist's is though).

e: knew I was forgetting something - vitality scales your condition damage due to Power of the Virtuous - you take ritualist for the extra damage, not survivability.

..btt fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 6, 2023

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

Random example since I've been running around PoF: if I'm fighting one branded patrol and another shows up, it's annoying to my mech. It's fatal to my firebrand, even if I'll probably rally from the burning. Since I've got all ascended trinkets and an ascended weapon now I got stuck at a crossroads of what exotics to go with for further OW soloing and fractals - hence the cele vs ritualist question. I can reroll my weapon and I suspect having three viper trinkets won't affect me all that much one way or the other, but the exotics that make up the rest of my gear are a variable I want to solve.

You've got to remember that pmech even after the many nerfs is an open world monster. It does consistent damage at range, has the mech to distract enemies, a strong self-heal mechanic every time you attack and shift signet which is just a ridiculous ability.

With firebrand you're going to have to take a much more active approach to damage mitigation and actually engage with the combat system. Watch the mob's attacks and if you don't need to hold your dodges for big attacks, use them. If it attacks slowly you can back out of range, or circle around to make their attacks whiff. Use protection, aegis, stability, projectile reflect, and condi cleanse to reduce incoming damage at appropriate points. Different enemies will require different strategies, but when played well, you can quite easily solo even most of the big hero point encounters in HoT on firebrand.

Cele will improve your overall survivability, due to toughness more than vitality, and works fantastically on a quick firebrand - here's a build: https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/builds/guardian/booster-firebrand/. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about toughness in raids with it - usually your tank will be using higher toughness gear than cele, and should be doing toughness checks in pugs. But if you don't want to play a more hybrid role (which is sometimes difficult to fit into instanced groups being "non-meta" and poorly understood) I'd fully commit and get the best stat gear for your role, which is almost certainly the ritualist stuff.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I'm not sure there's a "normal" path, but +9s will allow you to cap out above 150 for T4s with a full ascended set, so are generally a good investment. You'll need 17 for that, but have 18 slots in a full ascended gear set with attuned and infused rings. If you want to save a few gold, you could use some lower infusions in a few slots. Personally I just put +9s in until I'm over 150. For any T2, you'll want around 61 AR, or 7 +9s.

Bear in mind this is not exactly a hard requirement - most sources of agony can be avoided, there's a potion at the potion vendor which will give +10 AR (15 with mastery) for an hour, and the fractal mastery track will give you +5 AR when you use a singularity. Some things will just outright kill you if you're too far below the recommended amount though, e.g. porting into the Mai Trin encounter.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
The once-per-day crafts are account bound. The things they make are not and can be bought on the TP.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
The AR pots are very cheap when you first start buying them, but you only get a limited number per-account at the cheaper price. Not a long-term solution, but a good band-aid when working on your first character.

You can rush through the lower tiers - some people have a really bad experience in T2 and 3 (I didn't). In fact you can walk straight into T4s anyway, you just can't view the LFG for them until your own attunement is high enough. But it sounds like you're happy enough just going at your own pace.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

I'll still have lots of time in T1 getting the +1s to convert.

Fyi, you're only saving ~60 silver at current prices converting over just selling the +1s and buying +9s. Just buy the +9s if you need them.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mr. Neutron posted:

I'd love to play with goons on US servers but unfortunately the ping difference is just too high for a game like GW2 (at least to me) + because of the time zones, US doesn't appear to have a single prime time like EU.

The population is significantly higher on the EU servers too. And the culture is a little different, like EU actually uses the raid LFG. Also, bizarrely, damage output tends to be a bit higher in PvE.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

From how I understood it wouldn't this not matter? Like there's EU times and NA times but the LFG is universal?

The LFG works the same in both regions. It's just a cultural thing for whatever reason. Don't get me wrong, the EU LFG is not super active outside primetime, but from what I've heard, basically nobody uses LFG in NA for raid groups. They use I believe Raid Academy and the various other discords instead.

For reference, it's currently 2:30 PM on a workday and this is the raid LFG on EU:

2 legit pugs (no kp requirement even!), 2 static adverts, 1 guy looking for a group, sneb advertising Skein Gang and 2 raid seller ads.

In primetime there might be 10 or more pugs looking for more at any time.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

That's pretty interesting culturally. The pubbie game as I experience it is entirely FYGM-based, so when the only Training raid I joined had half of it bail after a boss kill and a single wipe I figured that was normal. I've seen more than a few browsing LFG but it's usually killproof-heavy and extremely specific. Even when successful multi-run strikes and fractals lose a percentage after every success as people joined for doing X-Y while only needing one or two.

Then you watch a youtube video talking about the wonderful community from streamers surrounded by their dedicated out-of-game community. :v:

My own anecdotal experience is that most people in the gw2 community are ready to engage socially, but need someone else to make the first move. If you communicate with your team, they're much less likely to just leave without saying anything - and this is not just for commanders. If on the other hand, you wipe and no-one says anything, people will quite quickly drop group. Of course some people are extremely shy, toxic, or ready to ragequit at the slightest percieved incompetence, but I find that compared to other MMOs I've played, they're a much smaller fraction of the community.

The best commanders seem aware of this, and make the effort to get people interacting. If you see an LFG ad with some silly meme in the description, you're usually in for a good time.

I do avoid groups asking for killproof though. I'd much rather wipe a few times with some excited and friendly new players than deal with the more tryhard players. Maybe if I'd done every raid 100 times I'd feel differently.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

AmbientParadox posted:

Guild Wars 2: The MMO for Bottoms

lmao

where the red fern gropes posted:

Would you be able to post the account names of the EU raid sellers? Me and Hinky have been intermittently trolling the NA ones, and we'd like to expand our range.

Nah, if someone wants to buy their title or legendary armour with gold or gems, I'm fine with that. I'm also ok with people making their own fun in the game by selling carries.

knowonecanknow posted:

I recently found out that you can join the raid seller squads and then block the squad leader then they won't appear in LFG for you anymore. There isn't actually that many unique raid sellers out there.

You can also just stick "-sell" in the search box

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Zhaitan strike

:barf:

please no

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

I haven't really looked at Elementalist/Warrior/Ranger/Thief but from what I've seen so far the booster gear is most useful to Engineer and Guardian for splashing into healing in strikes/fractals.

Hardstuck has booster builds for every profession (though not every elite spec). Cele gear is strong, just not generally the best min-max option. Here's one for ranger, for example: https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/builds/ranger/booster-untamed/

jokes posted:

Most of the time, level-appropriate gear is like a few silver while leveling up, and you'll level up loving Quick.

You'll level up quick regardless, and honestly, I wouldn't waste the money buying <80 gear if it's one of your first characters. If it isn't one of your first characters, you probably won't be levelling anyway since you'll have hundreds of level-up books.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

I have no idea what I'd actually blow the final boost on. Maybe a Scourge? :v:

Ah, gotcha. Generally condi gets the most out of cele, so bear that in mind. Hopefully you're generating enough cash now that you can just buy/craft more gear though! Scourge is definitely super strong, though not in huge demand for PvE groups outside of a few special roles.

Mailer posted:

My personal theory is that there's probably around 2000 of us. Of those, about 100-200 are interested enough in PvE to actually do strikes/fractals/raids. Every single one of them has tried starting them, has spammed lfg refreshes, and seen that only with great effort and ignoring the rest of the game while camping that list can you get a group for anything during that timeframe. So you've got a couple hundred willing people so burned by the lovely LFG, barely one step removed from spamming public chat in town like it's 2004, that they just stopped bothering.

I'm showing up at 07:00 on Friday for my first raid with goons.

Have you tried the discords? I imagine there are more than 200 aussies interested in end-game group content, but probably only like 5% of them use LFG. If that. There's gotta be a good number of nocturnal NA players too. Really, not many people use LFG, especially in NA, because as you say, it's a bit poo poo. I think you're spot-on about the lack of LFG groups driving less engagement with it.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
The new map is basically "let's try to unfuck the materials economy", so I guess the intent is to be a research note sink. Doesn't seem worth taking those filters over the free one though, and the cost is miniscule anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like they would accomplish that goal better if the keys didn't cost more then what you get from using a key?

yeah I wasn't suggesting it was actually effective :v: