Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I've mained ele since the beginning and have never memorized a rotation. I just go with what feels like it flows well and it's always got the job done. Yeah, I'm probably not hitting benchmarks, but who really does on any profession (save rifle mech) aside from the hardcore ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

What happens if you add "guy waiting for the bus" to the LA prompts?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

No, because it was rigged

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/profession-balance-update-preview-livestream-this-friday/ posted:

Please join us this Friday, September 16 at 12:00PM Pacific Time (UTC-8) on the official Guild Wars 2 Twitch channel for a preview of the October 4 profession balance update!

We’ll have Skills and Balance Team Lead Cal “cmc” Cohen and Associate Game Designer Roy “Roy” Marks on stream to walk you through the details of the upcoming changes. Following the stream, we’ll be posting the full balance preview notes on our official forums. We’re looking forward to reading your feedback!

As we mentioned last week, the October 4 balance update will be primarily focused on improving combat balance in the WvW and PvP game modes. After October 4, our next major profession balance update will drop on November 29.

As a small teaser ahead of our stream on Friday, we have prepared a carefully cropped screenshot for you:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Character-bound dyes was nothing compared to having to buy trait books on everyone. And the second version where you had to unlock grandmasters by doing specific events.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Hakarne posted:

Do you have any good builds for that? I'd wanted to try it but I'm not good at coming up with things for scrapper and all I see is hammer.

Flamethrower scrapper is a pretty fun, low-intensity build. Just camp flamethrower stacking might, stability, and other boons. Hammer is probably the ~optimal~ weapon to equip, but I don't see why it couldn't pack rifle. Probably makes you more flexible with range anyway.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

jokes posted:

Hard to justify an engineer or a necromancer Sylvari though.

My necro is a sylvari. All things have a right to grow, including animated horrors :unsmigghh:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

DALL-E is now free for everyone so I used the prompt,
"A Sylvari necromancer reanimates a Charr warrior"

Charr should be tiny!!!

More like nec-WHOA-mancer

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Like 30 minutes

Basically after the opening sequence, you can get the boat from the first map as soon as you find the heart to unlock it

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Also the skiff is neat and a chill thing to have but it's not super useful.

Aside from the elite specs, I don't use much from EOD.

Lowkey, the gliding boost is the best QoL thing from EoD

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Someone made a Geo Guesser for GW2! Pretty neat. Now that I think of it, it's surprising no one has done this before.

https://gw2-geoguesser.mael.tech/

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

It doesn't explain why cloth isn't quite as valuable as leather, though. I think they borked the ratios you needed things a while back and never really came back to that.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

"Balance philosophy" stream this Friday

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

There's nothing inherently wrong with the core swapping mechanic. It's just that they've never really properly incentivized it, at least until they made the weaver, and in some ways it's even disincentivized. Since the beginning, ele has had a ton of unusable traits taking design space that could be used to make its mechanic more fleshed out. Even many of the usable ones are really boring and only taken because they make number go up. The interesting traits that more need to follow suit are things like Fresh Air, Lightning Rod, Power Overwhelming, Evasive Arcana, Elemental Surge, the aura traits. These encourage a certain playstyle that's enhanced by comboing skills well, and some even favor a specific element in spite of it.

Imagine if they got rid of boring poo poo like "+1% damage per boon" in favor of more creative stuff like "water fields enhance other elemental attacks (fire=extra damage, air=daze, earth=immobilize)". Hell, maybe it's time to start tagging all elemental skills, like how engie and bladesworn have "explosions" and virtuoso has "blades". This could allow for a lot more baseline interactions between weapon skills beyond the standard field/finisher. Steal ideas from Genshin Impact for all I care.

Its utilities are also way powercrept and in need of renovation. Arcanes are probably the only ones in a good spot. Glyphs are a cool concept, but the variations are unbalanced and the skill type needs better trait support. Cantrips were nerfed in like the first year and never really revisited, also barely any trait support. Signets have cool trait support, but are kind of weak without heavy investment. Perhaps the utilities that are associated with specific elements (cantrips, conjures, signets) can be more effective when used in their corresponding attunement to allow "maining" elements. Also, can we finally get an elite for every skill type (across the board)?

Conjures should be revamped to be less janky, which would allow them to be a reliable "weapon swap" for situations when your main weapon is not a great choice. Their kits are actually really solid, but they way they work right now just encourages using them like single cast skills with extra steps while also potentially causing allies to be a hinderence. I think making them 2-charge skills with 30s recharge rather than summoning bundles would be the perfect way to keep them essentially the same but infinitely more intuitive. If they still want the sharing aspect, hell, make it summon one that only allies can pick up.

I dunno, I've never had a problem with the core mechanics so much as all the chaff in their traits/skills. No need to rebuild from the ground up when it never felt complete in the first place with so much filler. In 10 years, ele has never gotten the kind of trait overhaul that's been seen in other professions, especially mesmers and engies.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

There is literally zero reason for the water breather to be a separate piece of gear and never has been

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

5-signet fb new meta

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Season 1 meta achievement reward:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Nice to see them rework ele scepter, and it actually sounds all right, but hope there's more to come with core traits/utilities

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Why do they have to keep messing up rifle specs? I'll never make the leap from ascended to legendary boatgun if they keep stomping on my dreams

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Action cam owns. Too bad they keep messing up (most) rifle specs

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Spudd posted:

They really should just make shields weapons instead of blocks, shield bashing is cool and good

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Conjure_Earth_Shield :v:

For real though, conjure kits are really fun. It's just the mechanics of summoning them and picking them up that are rear end. My biggest wish in the game is for them to rework that part with minimal change to the actual skills.

jokes posted:

Yeah ele staff loving sucks, but staff fire 5 and water fire 5 are really good and cool

I've found that taking a conjure really helps when playing staff ele (in PvE). Since there are so many situational skills on staff, it helps having another set to spam while waiting on the staff skills that actually do damage to cooldown.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

AmbientParadox posted:

Guild Wars 2: The MMO for Bottoms

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

where the red fern gropes posted:

new kaineng is a great map, in a different game, where the main plot would take place, and there would be many things to do there

it is not a great map in guild wars 2, where it has lukewarm performance, an absence of activities, and copious amounts of useless and empty space

if it was skyrim and you could go in all the houses it would be amazing but it's not. it's one map in a game with hundreds of maps and it sucks. i'll even compare it to draconis mons which at least makes use of its empty space as a travel vector. kaineng doesn't do that

It's a drat shame there's so little to do. But it's one of the best places to cruise around on a griffon.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

The randomizer thing might be the most convincing argument for getting gemstore skins to me

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

AmbientParadox posted:

It was just pointed out to me that the entrance to the new map is the train tunnel in new kaineng. But that doesn't make any sense. This is clearly a ship loading dock. The cranes are on train tracks the facilitate moving the large loads onto the barges. But that in and of itself makes even less sense. If the trains are returning from the mining fields, why would they use the same tracks as the loading cranes? It will just cause an accident some day. Also it means the cranes can't unload the trains and onto the barges.

The answer is a Jade Tech wizard did it

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Meeko posted:

Actually upon thiniking about it a bit further, the worst has to be Domain of Kourna. Kinda incomplete, bad meta, no reason to go back, and it has the least useful material out of all the living stories.

Don't forget turning an iconic set piece from GW1 into... that

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Echovald has a neat minidungeon

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Nah, it's best to jump into them right away. Might even be easier to learn them by getting parts little-by-little. And if you're like me, the anticipation of unlocking the next tier is exciting.

For the most part, you're gonna get a somewhat functional spec early on, since you get one full row of traits a few unlocks in.

It does depend on the spec how "usable" they are without being fully unlocked, though, especially those that are reliant on the elite skill or particular utilities/traits that are far down.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Saraiguma posted:

right after Mallyck/The Pale Tree/Magdaer/the wizard's tower/Bangar/the Scepter of Orr/The Titans/the remaining Bloodstones/the Nightmare Court/whatever else they've forgotten the nobles in Divinity's Reach stop hogging the shooting gallery

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

They need to revert the bladesworn elite nerf, at least so it works with rifle. I finally had a warrior spec I liked, using my favorite weapon on it that's been garbage for most of the game's lifespan, and they had to gently caress with it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Unravel is a really underrated utility for that reason

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Reminder that there's a balance update preview stream today in about an hour
https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/1665753875335479296

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Ele signets giving auras is my favorite change in a long time and suddenly opens up a lot of possibilities. I pretty much have a functional auramancer build for each spec (including core), and making auras more widely available will make them even more fun.

Still waiting on that conjure rework though :colbert:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

What's the state of willbender and harbinger? Looking at past balance patches, it seems like they've been nearly untouched since EoD launched. The biggest thing for willbender looks like the virtues not overwriting each other, which is admittedly pretty significant. Harbinger doesn't look like it's had any major change.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I like to gently caress around with builds on multiple characters, so I'm glad I have legendary runes

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I think I'd even put runes/sigils over trinkets (at least a full set), because the game throws a decent amount of ascended trinkets at you. They're also the least pain-in-the-rear end to get, in terms of what kind of hoops you need to jump through.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Mailer posted:

I'm honestly just waiting for "and we added an open world legendary set" because you know that's coming.

I hope so. I don't want to grind multiple WvW or PvP sets, and I'm not a fan of raids. I don't even want the PvE skins, just the stat swapping.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

This trailer actually had my jaw drop, and half of the reason was the date

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Any details on the combat changes? It looks like there's a virtuoso with an axe, but nothing looks off about the asura next to him (sc/f elementalist?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Deformed Church posted:

Elementalist: Pistol (main hand)

:hellyeah: