Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Skyscale, Griffon, and Roller Beetle are the only mounts you actually have to go out of your way for, with Skyscale being the most drawn out and Roller Beetle being pretty chill. Griffon is mostly just expensive but relatively quick if you have the gold. The thing is that Skyscale is such a huge quality of life upgrade that you would be cheating yourself not to get it, eventually. Although there's some seriously cool premium skins (not in this free selection) for Skyscale so it would be kind of a waste to get one from this if you end up wanting the faerie or robot one later. I guess you can just hang on to the license until you feel like using it if you're really stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Griffon owns in Drizzlewood for the boss rush at the end of South meta.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Main hand focus on Ele when?
(I know the models can't work with MH but I can dream)

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

You can't even look in LFG for t4 until your fractal level is higher, like 70 I think. You can of course join guild runs or whatever but nothing through the LFG tool.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

orcane posted:

You're not missing anything. One of the "between GW1 and 2" books was about him and how Destiny's Edge tried to kill him, and you got parts of those events explained in the charr zones. He was just a background character through LS1/2/HoT while he was sitting in the Crystal Desert. Only in PoF do you finally meet him and explicitly learn more about what happened before, then in LS4 he's the primary antagonist.

It's been probably 7 years since I've done any story mode dungeons but iirc all the Destiny's Edge stuff was hashed out in those, and since dungeons are dead and story mode dungeons are deader there's slim chance a newer player will know anything about Kralk before S4 at all.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

What's the consensus on getting T6 trophies for Mystic Tributes? I'm getting close to Astralaria and slowly building up the stuff for an Aurene weapon so I figured I should actually get a strategy now. I've been doing trophy shipments from LS4 but they seem heavily weighted to T5 which I have plenty of.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Actuarial Fables posted:

I have the 2nd post of the OP reserved for "what is this, how do I start, and how do I do it" instructions. Not that it ever gets read, but if anyone would like to provide some newbie-friendly instructions to an aspect of the game, let me know and I'll shove it in there.

Otherwise I'll keep slowly revising and revising and redoing and revising and redoing and revising what I have in my notes.

I'd add in advice to unbind "double move to dodge" and make your dodge key something very easy like a mouse thumb button.
A lot of stuff can be bound better but dodging is such a big part of combat that it seems especially egregious.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Meeko posted:

It's already probably been posted here, but I'm gonna give a shout out to lord hizen's celestial vindicator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYpyjxo8s6Y

Dude tends to exaggerate his builds a lot but for once I think a build really deserves the title of `best for open world`. It actually puts the old glory days of renegade to shame. If you're looking for something to fill the hole in your heart for `utterly immortal in open world with good damage` that celestial renegade left behind, can't recommend it enough.

The power version is pretty much just there if you wanna do greatsword and are okay with giving up a lot of tank, so it's probably better suited for stuff like meta trains or drizzlewood coast.

I want to try this but if I'm too poor for runes of tormenting what would you recommend?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Mr. Neutron posted:

Try divinity, durability, leadership, or firebrand runes instead. Ultimately tormenting are the best though.

Actually they're a lot cheaper than the last time I looked, I guess the return of S1 has put more sprockets into the world? I can buy what I need for like 20g, so gently caress it. If nothing else I can still use them with my cele renegade.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Continued discussion on Cele Vindicator:
I thought I had the recipe for the runes of tormenting, turns out I had recipes for the sigils. But anyway I've got all my cele poo poo from Cele Renegade so I just swapped the sigils in my weapons for now while I wait for the rune recipe to show up at the vendors.
I know "weapon swap" procs activate when I swap my Legend, but do they also proc on swapping my utilities within the Alliance stance?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

If you're still needing the +1s make sure you're opening 30 fractal encryptions every day. You can buy the discount keys for 20s and one relic, and even if you buy the locked encryptions from the TP you're making a gold profit on top of the +1s and crafting materials they give. I think if you have to buy the keys at 25s and the encryptions it doesn't work out as nice, but assuming you're running fracs and have 30 relics a day to throw at it, it's leaving money on the table not to do it.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

specifically it's one of mordremoth's minions and its presence retroactively becomes a bit of foreshadowing to what the sylvaris' deal is

Yeah it's the one that attacks the Pale Tree right? And then you chase it to Silverwastes and have the worst battle in S2?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

It was just story mode of Arah, same as story mode of any dungeon so five people. Except much longer and shittier. They patched it so story mode was soloable, that's all. However I don't think it took years, I'm pretty sure it was long before HoT came out? I had never gotten around to running the dungeon so I was excited I could finally beat the story.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Is there a way to choose between Priory/Shadows/Vigil without the personal story? Because there are some really good skins there.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

I agree kinda with the above.

Boss fights are just hp sponges. Maps arent that good, though i havent explored it all.
Keys cost way too much, but i guess they are trying really hard to get rid of mats.

Filter mechanic is stupid.

Hey here is a free one that lasts 30.

or you can PAY for one that lasts 20......

No they dont stack.. yes the last one will overwrite the better one, is there a problem?

The filter stuff seems like it was designed with a mastery in mind to let you ignore it eventually. But there's no new masteries in this release and there aren't even mastery points available for the achievements so lol.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I got to play through the whole meta and I'll echo what others have said that it's Drizzlewood lite and the final boss takes probably three times as long as it should. The filter mechanism is kind of annoying but not too awful, though after getting a fresh 30 at the last outpost I was down to like 5 after the boss died. Though I think the Haze goes away after the finale?

It's interesting that the map in LFG is just listed under EoD and not a season. It makes me wish we got a hero's choice chest though. I think the length lends itself to an rear end but even a Jade Runestone would be cool. And thanks for the tip on the Chambered Nautilus from fishing there, I have enough ambergris for a legendary now :toot:

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Kassad posted:

They seem to be ditching the idea of Living World seasons, these new maps are supposed to be part of EoD. It's why this new episode is free forever, not just for a limited window of time.

Right, which I think is cool. I guess I didn't really connect my two thoughts; I was saying since the new map (literally can't remember what it's called) is just part of EoD instead of a LW map, we should get a Hero's Choice chest like we do for the other metas.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

MajorBonnet posted:

The game is due for a beach episode. Southsun doesn't count.

You mean Cat Island episode. Beach Episode can be the north part of New Kaineng that is risen infested (?? why is this not brought up in the actual story at all).

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

So close yet so far. I want to just poo poo lightning everywhere. Fresh air tempest was probably my favourite ele build except for the fact that if you hosed up you were just dead. 0 survivability.

Bring back lava font on down state and it's a feature not a bug.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Quasi-related, how annoying is it to get groups for fractal CMs for Ad Infinitum? I assume there's less need to get alac/quickness/heals and poo poo? I'll probably need to make my own parties and I have no experience doing the CMs.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

They'll still gently caress it up and make it a melee weapon somehow

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I actually went to the website on a real computer (the mobile version is all hosed up, at least for me) and they're making updrafts usable for mounts. Hype train reboarded!

In all seriousness though $25 isn't much but this feels like less than IBS, unless the two maps they're adding are incredible somehow.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I assume it will be like how the living world seasons and EoD have their own version of dailies, there will be another separate set that give the wizard tokens.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Info about Relics is out (kind of)

Basically what I expected, but the number of relics seems kind of low, and not just giving everyone a straight up selection of any "core" relic seems like a mistake too. Like for my dps set I use Runes of Nightmare, am I going to have to spend more dungeon currency for a Relic of Nightmare? (Probably)

Legendary Relic is coming with an update after launch, and it says every legendary rune you have will contribute to a legendary Relic, with more runes being more progress. I feel like if someone has all 7 they should just get the relic too but what do I know.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Maybe you'll get the precursor for free or the Gift of Relics or something similar.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Malpais Legate posted:

They used to pop you out of the level 80 boosts in Soldier's gear, a stat set that the balance team was just straight up asking people not to use.

What's crazy is that it wasn't every class because Theives got Valkyrie which wasn't great but it was still better than Soldier's.

And I boosted my Rev like a month before they gave everyone Cele of course.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Blows my mind there's still no recipes for aquabreathers except for the ascended ones. Like if I could craft an exotic one sure whatever. But it's honestly really weird how ignored they are.

And while we're at it, give me some Gen 3 Legendary Aquatic weapons, or reduce the cost of the Gen 1 ones at least.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

tarbrush posted:

You can turtle underwater??!?!

Yeah it automatically sinks to the bottom and you walk around.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

octan3 posted:

This looks like a good quality of life piece. As someone who never does the daily challenges I'm hopeful it'll be easy to get rewards through it.

Wonder what happens with the chest of loyalty? It might be on you to buy the equivalent parts of it

If it means I don't waste login rewards on another tome of experience I'm for it

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

I have no idea what's going on with my equipment right now so I'm just ignoring it lol

:same:

I'm eagerly awaiting the theorycrafters to tell me what to do, but I think I saw an energy replenish one I may use on my jumpman Vindicator for now.

Hey actually, are there more relics than what's in the free boxes currently? Like crafting?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

A dude on Reddit calculated the price of the new legendary armor based on the achievement panel stuff:

https://reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/s/QmdfayKJAL posted:

Cost of new Legendary Armor pieces is viewable in achievement panel and at a vendor.

There is a vendor that has all the recipes, and their is an achievement under the legendary armor collections.

There are two things that don't line up between the vendor/achievement:

* Gift of Expertise lists two different costs (vendor cost is listed below because you can buy them right now)
* Purified Kryptis Essences are listed in the achievements but not the vendor (might be part of precursor collections)

## 1 Legendary Armor Piece:

#### Arcanum "Precursor"

* seems to cost 1 Lesser Vision Crystal each (but this is probably the cost to buy a second one)

#### Gift of Magical/Mighty Prosperity

* 9 Mystic Clovers
* 1 Gift of Condensed Magic/Might (Foot/Leg/Gloves use Might, Chest/Shoulder/Head use Magic)
* 1 Gift of Research
* 1 Gift of Craftmanship
* 10 Glob of Ectoplasm

#### Gift of Stormy Skies
* 1 Gift of the Astral Ward
* 1 Gift of Skywatch Archipelago
* 1 Gift of Amnytas
* 1 ??? (likely 3rd map completion)
* 1 Gift of Persistence
* 250 Essence of Despair (T1 Kryptis Essence)
* 250 Static Charge
* 250 Pinch of Stardust
* 250 ??? (likely 3rd map currency)
* 10 Glob of Ectoplasm
* 5 Case of Captured Lightning (1250 Static Charge total)
* 5 Pouch of Stardust (1250 Pinch of Stardust total)
* 5 ??? (likely 1250 of 3rd map currency total)
* 10 Glob of Ectoplasm

#### Gift of Expertise
* 12 Amalgamated Kryptis Essence
* 250 Essence of Despair (T1 Kryptis Essence)
* 100 Essence of Greed (T2 Kryptis Essence)
* 50 Essence of Triumph (T3 Kryptis Essence)
* 60 Glob of Ectoplasm
* 1 Eldritch Scroll
* 50 Obsidian Shards
* 1 Cube of Stabilized Dark Energy
* 10 Glob of Ectoplasm

### Totals (without Precursor)

Old materials required for a full set are:

* 54 Mystic Clovers
* 3 Gift of Condensed Magic
* 3 Gift of Condensed Might
* 15000 Research Notes
* 1500 (Exotic) Essence of Luck
* 300 Provisioner Tokens
* 300 ~~Skill Points~~ Spirit Shards
* 300 Obsidian Shards
* 6 Cubes of Stabilized Dark Energy
* 3600 - 4500 Globs of Ectoplasm (vendor overcharges by 10 ecto per recipe, seems you can craft some of the stuff yourself for cheaper)

SotO exclusive materials are:

* 6 completions of each map
* 9000 of each map currency
* 19500 Essence of Despair (T1 Kryptis Essence)
* 7200 Essence of Greed (T2 Kryptis Essence)
* 3600 Essence of Triumph (T3 Kryptis Essence)

So I hope you like the rift system!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I assume the answer is "no" but if you buy a legendary starter kit can you sell the resultant legendary? The precursor is bound so I assume the end result will be too but also maybe not?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

brainSnakes posted:

I came here to ask about this. I expected the skyscale to be unlocked after the tutorial questline, but that does not seem to be the case and now I've got two questions.

I tried reading up on it before work and the only tidbit I found said you had to complete the entire flight mastery line. is that legit?

Second related question, is it a bad idea to just rush that to completion? I'm worried there's going to be some other mastery node on the other trees that is secretly essential to unlocking everything the expansion does, because I'm blinded by flight lust right now.

I'm not very far myself but very soon after the tutorial you need to have the first mastery in the first line trained, which I wish I knew because I already trained the first and got XP for like 2/3 of the second mastery in the skyscale one. I just really want the combat mounting.

And as to your question about unlocking the skyscale, I got a mail about starting that line as soon as the first mastery was trained. Then you need to find an egg in an abandoned nest, which I haven't found yet though I've only checked like 3 nests. There's somewhere around 20 nests to check, people on reddit are leaning it towards a pretty rare drop with most people saying they had to check almost all of them before they found one.

Humerus fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 25, 2023

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I wonder if they'll get to gen 2 weapons, I would love to do that for the great sword even though I don't have a character that really uses it (yet???).

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Someone else can do a real effort post about it, but if all you want is the legendaries that need Fractals, all of those can be done in the first tier. What I did for Astralaria is I kept a list of what Fractals I needed and when one came up on the daily I found a Tier 1 group advertising they were doing dailies and just did them all. I think maybe the upper most levels of T1 need a little agony resist but rings and amulets should be all you need for those.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

Progressing through this story, and I feel like it's less "Wizards: no sense of right and wrong" and more "I'm not sure I believe in your intense dedication to mitigating the harm caused by your actions, because if you really felt that way you probably wouldn't have done all this insane poo poo in the first place."

I think it's the primal maguuma island but on one of them the wizard says to you, "we should help because we're partially responsible"
My dude! You are wholly responsible in the worst way!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

The new zones just constantly have events firing off and I love it, and that's not even counting the possibility of endless rift farming. I fully recognize there's something broken in me that I find that fun though (I used to do mindless grinds for hours in WoW so).

With that being said though, am I understanding correctly that in order to do T2 and 3 rifts, you have to craft the item and then consume it to actually summon the boss? It seems like the only way it's worth it is if you have a sizeable group where everyone is contributing a few of them. I was in a train that was doing T3 rifts and we did quite a lot but afaik only the commander was contributing. They must have come out negative right? Or does that last mastery actually make it worth it?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Replaying S2 for the Seasons of the Dragon achievement reminded me how much I loving hate it when they force you to use skills other than your own. At least in IBS when you were scrying into another person they let you just ignore their lovely skills and use yours. The entirely too long sequence in S2 where you're Caithe was awful back when it was new and it was awful a year ago when I played it again.

So you have that to look forward to.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Also re: Mastery Points remember that you can add filters to the achievement panel to see only whatever MPs you want to see. It's very handy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Man my GPU poo poo the bed Saturday morning and I've been trying stuff and testing stuff and finally called it. Money's tight though so I ordered an open box from eBay. But it won't get here until Thursday at the earliest and next Tuesday at the latest. So I'm out all those dailies and likely a weekly too. And my CPU doesn't even have an iGPU for me to suffer through in the meantime.