Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
So what is this? Some sort of Asura ERP simulator??

Edit: also I've been doing the Slaw Facts bit now for 7 years this week. How time flies.

LordAdakos fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
For people interested in migrating to maguuma. I'd wait. There may soon (tm) be guild based wvw instead of server based wvw. However this has been coming soon (tm) for months so who knows.
Just seems like your 2k gems could be used on better things, but also I don't want to tell anyone how to live their life, so you do you, wvw goons.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

I really regret making my Necro just some dude.

Are character slots still on sale?

You can sometimes get total makeover kits cheap. Might be easier than rolling a new character, unless you want to change race, in which case yeah you'll need a new slot

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Mr. Neutron posted:

I have downloaded the Steam version and started a fresh account on the US servers out of curiosity. First impressions: holy poo poo how did we even play the game before auto loot and SSDs :negative:

I used autohotkey to bind w a s and d to also press f8, which I had bound to interact.
Dark days indeed.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Ahh yes. Research notes. Just goes to show that if you got in on the ground floor exploiting and banked 100k+ research notes for a pittance that literally nothing negative would happen to you and you would save yourself headache and heartache in the future.

Never change, Anet.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
My very first character was an ele.
I always wanted the elements to do specific things:
Fire is big dps
Water is healing
Earth is buffing
Air is utility and cc

But in reality it was big sad and big effort.

Can we just get the guy who did the harbinger, engineer and Mesmer to fix this?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Going to second the suggestions here: Necro is a great way to dip your toes into the game.

If you want a super lazy style, use minions. Eventually unlock blood and death skill trees and laugh in minion immortality. Deaths capace and vampiric aura will help keep your buddies alive and kicking. If you want to do big deeps or just look incredibly cool as a grim spectre of death, hit F1 and then mash some buttons.

If you want a more active play style, do the same, but when you get 80 and unlock your specializations, unlock reaper so you can equip a big fuckoff sword. Your F1 then goes from grim spectre of death to grim spectre of death with a big fuckoff sword and you can spin and slice and dice.

Eventually you'll want to unlock other specializations (I'd suggest harbinger next and save scourge for last) or other classes.

Definitely don't feel like you have to rush through things. Once you hit 80 and have exotic gear you can do all the content in the game (except high level fractals require slightly different gear that can be expensive to make or rare to find)

As you go through the different zones, keep an eye on the World Boss chart/timetable ( on the wiki ). It will show you the next world bosses and where they are. If there are any near the zones you are in, you should hit those up. It's fun and a nice break from quests or story missions or whatever.

Also wintersday (seasonal event) is coming up soon. It can be overwhelming at first, but Mukluk (YouTube) has a good series called 'get to the point' which can help you understand the events and what to do and how to earn rewards.

Later on, Engineer is an awesome class once you unlock mechanist. It can feel a little underwhelming (in terms of doing things outside of flamethrowering things) before that.

In the meantime, just play in a way that lets you have fun. The end game is just fashion. Seriously. There's so much time to do things and have fun. Plus, you can't go back to being a newbie and experiencing everything for the first time again, so take your time. This is doubly true because there's no subscription fees.

Last but not least, I'd suggest waiting for a sale on the Dlc1 and Dlc2 (heart of thorns and path of fire) and then pick them up in a bundle. Eventually you'll also want End of Dragons, but PoF will unlock account wide mount availability starting at lvl 10 I think, so it's very worth it.

Hope this helps!

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Why isn't there a lonk wardrobe consultancy? I'd pay hard earned gold to get top notch fashion advice from this threads premier fashionista.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I would craft so many more ascended gears if I wasn't time gated on crafting mats. Like please let me queue up 20 or 30 of those once a day mats and then log back in a month later to pick them up.

I keep wanting to kit out another character for fractals but just can't bring myself to put in the effort to remember to do the thing.

Time gating things like that feels like a bandaid on bad game design imho

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Play an engineer. Dress up like a witch and pretend the mechanist golem is a familiar. It's very cool and good.

Spectre is kind of witchy, as are necros, especially harbinger with potions if that's your thematic jam.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
unfortunately you cant get one of the paper mask skins because it requires WALNUTS IN BULK, which is currently unavailable in the game.

womp womp

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Post that build! Vindi fun so what

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
With regard to too many buttons:
I use WASD and have my utility buttons (6-0) bound to z q e r c

My attacks are bound to my mouse thumb cluster

Weapon swap on middle mouse

Targeting is mousehweel left or right for cycle enemy or closest enemy

F1 through f5 are control + thumb cluster

Mount combos are x, control x , alt x, control alt x, etc

You don't need an MMO mouse by any means, but I've found it's helpful to have a few extra buttons available on otherwise unused fingies to spread the workload

Also also, I know some people who swear by a controller, so if that's more your jam, there are some really good resources available for that on YouTube, Reddit and surprisingly the steam controller layout forums.

Hope this helps.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

nesamdoom posted:

by thumb cluster do you mean like a bunch of buttons? I thought about getting a second mouse for this and a couple other games. I just got 2 thumb buttons because mine is pretty much an fps mouse(Rival 300)

Yeah, I set this up when I had a 5 thumb button mouse, but I've upgraded to an MMO mouse (the razer naga one with the swappable side panels) . I've found so many reasons to bind things to either the 2, 6 or 12 button side panels it's been a game changer, especially since I have what mrs. Mellenger, my old music teacher, used to call "stupid fingers".

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I couldn't figure out thief axe. Why not just use a scepter?

Engi shortbow is unfun and the chain reaction system confuses and infuriates me.

Guardian pistol is thematically cool, as is necro swords, but necro swords feels like it's missing something. Skills don't feel very impactful.

Ranger mace is whatever. Probably fine for healers? The big boi buff mechanic is a little off-putting at first because it just happens, there's not really any way to control it and with a 12 or 25 second cool down where you can't gain natures fury stacks, it doesn't feel impactful for the two seconds you get it and you can't really time it out in a meaningful way.

Ele pistol would probably cool if I could figure out how to play ele. It feels a lot like a pvp weapon in my limited experience.

Warrior staff is still underwhelming unfortunately.

Bring back land spears you cowards!

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
You can also use guildhalls to fast travel, depending on the hall. For example you can walk out of the GOON GH and into a PoF zone.

Some people swear by the world boss or HoT boss teleport items for alts.

Once you get the sunspear hideout griffon quest teleport item you can use that to pop over and run around from there.

Living world seasons have associated page/tome teleport items, as does arborstone and the wizards tower.

There's also tp to friend and recharging tp to friend items.

I think starting the PoF quest pretty quickly throws you on an airship and sails you over.

You can also teleport to the home cities from lions arch asura gates and run around from there for tyrian maps.

I'm sure I'm missing some other ways, but hope this helps

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Also if you pop out into vabbi, the Initial waypoint is unlocked by the zone-in. Once you zone to the zone to the west or north or whatever direction that is, I'm pretty sure the initial zone-in waypoint to the north on that map is also unlocked, so it should be fairly quick to pop to those and then run across the zones, working backwards until you get at least 1 or 2 waypoints unlocked in each zone.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I've been playing GW1 lately as a ritualist and it makes me feel frustration from the short durations of the sand spirits created by hammering F1 in GW2. If they lasted twice as long or attacked like ritualist spirits, I would never not play scourge.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
You can mix and match sword axe mace on rev but you wouldn't want to, but that's not a dig on revenant; that's just how you can't really mix a condition weapon with a power weapon set. It's the same for any other class that can use one-handed weapons. Like necro scepter focus or axe torch or guardian mace torch or ranger dagger axe - you don't usually want to split your damage types.

Swords are cool and good for power DPS and you can do a lot of damage by spamming 2 and 4 iirc, but you can use a great sword instead if you are the best race (asura) and do cool flips and poo poo when you attack.

For condi mace axe or shortbow are the defaults.

Staff is mostly there for some dedicated healing or more generally as a CC weapon with the rush ability

Apparently scepter is like a one-handed great sword lightsaber which sounds cool.

Hammer is kind of meh for general pve use.

Rev underwater attacks are cool and good though if that helps.

Also shield is a thing too but I haven't seen a rev use a shield in a long time.

I think a lot of it is digging the elite spec..base rev is balls, but herald makes you a boon powerhouse friend with a million utility, and vindi can turn you almost unkillable. Renegade is cool too but it used to be better.

Edit: I don't really know where I was going with this post but I started typing and here we are.

LordAdakos fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 13, 2023

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
The best advice I ever heard for once you hit 80 : don't buy named exotic gear on the trading post "berserkers chest of awesome". Instead, find those stats : power, ferocity, precision : and search for those in the trading post menu. ( Exotic, level 80, those 3 main stats, etc) Instead of spending 5 gold or so per equipment slot, you can find ones that are anywhere from 5 percent to 25 percent of that depending on the slot ( armor is more expensive, weapons are usually very cheap).

Also, join goon guild and the goon discord. If you have questions, ask them here, there or just in general in game. People are usually super helpful, even if you don't know the right questions or don't know what you don't know.

Also, the story gets better once you finish the core campaign! It gets less "cutscene-y" and more interactive.

The only classes I would gently steer people away from as a fresh newbie is thief and elementalist, and possibly Mesmer and warrior. At least for me, those classes tend to feel clunky without the elite specializations.

My suggestions for newbies is : necromancer for playing the campaign ( this is my personal favorite suggestion) but ranger is also fun and forgiving, especially if you use a shortbow or axe instead of a longbow. I now recommend Hammer guardian, since the new buff to attack speed and symbols..you can do some serious damage now with little.kore than auto attacks. Engineer with mechanist ( end of dragons elite specialization) will let you solo most things in the game easily.

Also there are some great content creators on YouTube for build crafting and general content, but the TL;DR for builds is: pick power damage or condition damage and try to focus that. Most weapons will have one specialization for a given profession/class, so as a necromancer a scepter will be a condition weapon ( it makes things bleed ) but a great sword is traditionally a power damage weapon ( no real conditions, just a lot of strike damage).

Most classes can do both, and feel free to play around and see what you like best. Just keep in mind some parts of the story campaign will have boxes, crates, totems,etc that you have to destroy that will be immune to condition damage, but it won't be a deal breaker, and most breakable things in the later maps are conditionable.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, what IS Destiny's Edge and why should I care about them?

They are the adventuring moms of the game. Like eir (norn mom) and zojja (asura mom) and some other people who had a dream of one day smacking the poo poo out of an elder dragon or three.

Why should you care about them... I have so many hours in this game but couldn't tell you.

They show up Living world season 1, Hot and I think living world season 3.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
At this point they could throw an NPC at me and be like ' this is your great uncle Rupert featherbottom III esquire' and I would just nod sagely and welcome Rupert back from wherever he was and accept it as cannon.

Later we find out Rupert was actually a dragon the whole time and he was responsible for the ... Wait for it.... eND OF DRAGONs (roll credits)

But really, this is just aNet writing the way aNet do.
At least the cutscenes have gotten better.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Nuebot posted:

EDIT: So how would I go about gearing up my characters? It seems like everything just kind of wants the same poo poo; Berserker prefixes on basically everything.

For power builds, most guides suggest min maxing berserkers or berserkers plus assassin stats.

I might suggest not following the meta advice of pure berserkers for power builds (especially if you are new). This stat set leaves you a bit glassy for my tastes. Of course, you could just pay attention and dodge out of red circles, but who has time for that?

My suggestion for newer players focusing on power builds is to find a few trinkets with power and vitality and something else (precision ideally) , (but not toughness because the way toughness works is: the more you have the more enemies want to focus you exclusively as a tank). As you get into the endgame you can replace these with ascended trinkets and by then you will have a better feeling for how all the stats work together, and where you fall on the scale of <--glass cannon--------lazy-->.

Swapping a few trinkets ends up being a slight DPS loss for a bunch of survivability, which I personally like: especially when learning new content.

Oh and if you use a level 80 boost the celestial (all-stat) gear will let you do any content in the game with any build with a metric fuckton of survivability and flexibility and healing and boon and condition duration but you lose some DPS and you'll have less overall offensive stats than a pure berserkers or vipers or assassins set up. Don't feel like you need to replace the celestial gear quickly, is what I'm trying to say.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Bring back district hopping like in guild wars 1

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I almost always run a mix of berserker , marauder and/or dragon when I'm playing a power build. You lose a small percent in terms of DPS but gain tenfold in survivability.

Also for newbies or people confused about stats:
Typically you pick either power OR comdition damage to build around.
Generally for power you also want precision and ferocity for crit chance and crit damage. For condition you want condition damage and expertise for condition duration.

Most of the time you won't be mixing and matching in end-game situation, as there is a general expectation that you will be fulfilling a specific role within an acceptable range. If you are supposed to be doing physical DPS and the top end players do 30k, and average players do 15k, you should not handicap yourself by having the wrong stats and only doing 1k.

That said, that's only really for end game or otherwise organized group content...In day to day play, go nuts with whatever wacky combo you want.

Ok thanks for coming to my TEID-07 talk

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

Does Soulbeast completely demolish the pet or is it just a time based petless skill period?

You just merge with the pet until you unmerge. You get some stats and some beast abilities. Then when you unmerge the pet pops back out and you can go about your day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

gandlethorpe posted:

Wardrobe templates next pls

Also, sneak peek of xp5... Ascalon?

That's what it looks like to me. Giving me big presearing vibes in the forest area south of town.

Could be wrong though