Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Vindicator is some of the most fun I've had in EoD, jumping around like a maniac and still doing decent overworld damage was great, coupled with the stamina regen signet on kills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I have a question about PVP : I have been playing for 11 years. For 11 years, PVP has felt awful to play, because everything feels weightless. For clarity, I'll refer to sPvP as PvP from now on.

To be clear : I am not complaining about the balance, but everything that feels like it has weight in PvE - stunning any enemy, shmoving around - feels *atrocious* in PvP. I just can't put my finger on it. Am I insane for feeling that way? It just feels like someone can pop a stunbreak instantly and like woops there goes my feedback. Or I'll pop a stunbreak into going accidentally ragdolled about because well, didn't account for something I didn't see.

Obviously the game is great on audio cues, which help a lot, but like, am I god drat crazy? There is obviously a very high skill issue on my end here, as I don't play PvP regularly and obviously get matched against people that do, and I kinda feel silly whenever I pop in and stuff just Happens.

I feel the need that to add that I have played like 1200 games over the years, which compared to most, is not a lot, but I still feel like that's a decent amount of experience to have formed my opinion?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I do like the analogy, but even in fighting games I get feedback like the game pausing for a few frames or something when like a grab connects.

sPvP kind of always felt like I'm cutting through butter with a very hot knife at all time, wherein it just kinda goes through and doesn't give me something meaty to process in my brain. As I said, could be just me and that it will never click.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Hakarne posted:

If anyone is looking for a fantastic Open World build for Revenant, I highly recommend the Quick Herald build on Guildjen:

I'll second this - great build.

With that said, I inevitably find myself always back to rear end stomping vindicator. Something about doing jumping jacks is very satisfying and I can't fully explain why. Revenant is such a fun class overall though.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

If you don't mind having a separate weapon for open world, slapping a sigil of stamina on a greatsword makes vindi into an unkillable AoE god infinitely stomping around, especially good in Horn of Maguuma events where there's often fairly dense packs of mobs

Oh yeah ever since I started playing vindi, I figured that poo poo out quick. Genuinely insane to be stomping all the time. As a bonus, makes it so you one or two shot just about everything in lower level core Tyria too.

Truly some of the most fun I've had in a mmo and it really highlights how fun GW2 can be with its open world builds.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I'm sorry but Engi shortbow is so underwhelming. What the hell is this. Maybe if the aoes were like, triple the size, this would be better.

e : immediately followed by guardian which is cool as gently caress. lmao. Also can they stop doing ally target poo poo, it doesn't feel good in GW2

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 27, 2023

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

The problem I see is like, what else could engi do, even with a weapon swap? I know they nerfed HAM, but it can already do quick and boons/healing. Why not give it another full dps weapon? Or at least something not as whelming as this.

I do like the idea of skills interacting in the way chain reaction does - an evolution of combos - but like it ain't enough I feel.

Fully ready to bite my tongue when the beta drops and it does 500k dps somehow lmao

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

tarbrush posted:

Have they actually needed HAM meaningfully? I admit it's been a while since I tried to heal in actually hard content, but I can still roll my face on the keyboard and keep a group up in all the non CM strikes

I never played the build, I just know they nerfed it so it wasn't as absurd as it was (I don't feel like digging up the changes), but man would I still have loved to see big damage fields shortbow engineer... it might be good in instanced content, but I'm afraid it will be abysmal in the open world, and I find that tragic. Oh well, at least scrapper and holosmith are already very fun with existing builds for that purpose?? I guess

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I wonder if we'll ever get a rework (or at least a look) at older weapons on top of new weapons? Some of the older stuff feels really bad to use, like Warrior GS, after using some of the more recent stuff they put in.

Though I say that but scepter thief doesn't exactly feel the greatest to use either, so what do I know.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

My honest but terribly harsh opinion is that the weapons, save for Guardian pistols (lol) feel terribly undercooked. Like I tried swords Necro on a power build but then I just realized that whatever I was doing could be done better with Greatsword still. Cool to have a ranged weapon I guess?

Engi shortbow is utter trash, though. Like genuinely horrible.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

The problem I had with necro swords is that the effects currently are like very lacking (which is very normal!!! I am not complaining about this!!) so it feels loving impossible to get good feedback on when your stuff should be reused. Especially since the only thing is like, icons changing, but the icon is in the exact same shape as the other one, just a different color, which kinda makes it hard to gauge unless you are staring at the UI (which if you are will make you eat poo poo in combat).

Also mesmer rifle feels like it should be a condi weapon

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Want to add that you can get an Arborstone and Wizard's Tower teleport scrolls, for free. Arborstone requires to play the story, and Wizard's Tower is a small and quick scavenger hunt. Those will get you to those expansions very fast and basically put you in the middle of the zones, so you can get around (relatively, depending on which mounts you have) quickly

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

After some 1300 ranked games over however how long it has been since ascended shards and legendary armor came out for PvP, I have finally made my first set of legendary armor.

I will not make another set of armor through PvP (or WvW!). gently caress that game mode.

(I have not tried to make a PvE one through raiding because I can't be assed to raid and scheduling video games feels like rear end)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Oh yeah I know, I already got most of the essences for my first set, that will be how I get the 2 other sets I need because heavens forbid that I'll need to grind WvW for 2 confluxes already (though I saw that they made tickets easier to get so I'll have to spend less time in there!!)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

To be clear : I have a ton of experience with WvW, and I have raided in other games. I hate raiding in general, and WvW (I'm rank 500 ish, which is still low but enough to say whether I like it or not) feels like I'm getting punched in the dick over and over. I just genuinely hate PvP in any form in this game, I find it terribly unpleasant!

Also the WvW reward track being slow as gently caress until you play several thousand hours is genuinely like homework - I only go there to suffer for stuff like Conflux.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I ran dungeons for the first time in forever! The event is cool! Why isn't this the loving regular amount of rewards we get! Why the gently caress are tales of dungeoneering a pain to get regularly! Make this the regular rewards! I want to get dungeon armor and weapons! They are old but look cool!

I will still refuse, however, to run Arah. Sorry everyone, that place stinks!!!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

That would also be good yeah.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I did arah 1 (despite saying I wouldn't) and it still took like 35 minutes

still not as bad as near launch dungeon running!!! Running dungeons does make me realize how big of a number elite specs did on the game though lol

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Holy poo poo I gassed myself up on thinking that the bouncy chest with 80 tokens? That was dungeon rush stuff. I had so little incentive to run dungeons that I completely forgot that's just regular rewards.

God drat. Well, I guess this does still make me want to run dungeons, but I also feels like it's very dire that I couldn't remember that these *were the regular rewards*

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Honestly with how much farming you will have to do getting the essences from the chests is kind of a waste

Amalgamated gemstones or the items for legendary crafting are just the way to go, tbh

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Sure but I have like a third of a legendary armor set from just doing a daily-ish convergence and doing the weekly 5 rifts per some area for like, 2-3 weeks since SotO released. If they were like, 5x the amount of what is currency offered, but lol @ 100/50/20

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 7, 2023

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Well, we don't know yet what the final collection to unlock the tokens from Lyhr entails. Could be another Kryptis sink.

poo poo. That is true, hadn't considered that

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

With relic of the chronomancer, firebrand runes and Haste, open world condi specter IS pretty fun. Absolutely not an intsanced PvE build though

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I'm eyeing HOPE and after doing Astralaria, I don't know if I have it in me to do another gen 2 legendary that has a collection. On the other hand, I only have Quip, and while yeah sure I'm glad to have a legendary pistol, god drat do I want HOPE.

Someone gas me up and or convince me that the collection for HOPE isn't all that bad.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Uhhh so I was going through backpack skins I wanted, and Googling the Green quaggan backpack skin led me to find this reddit post :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/14ligys/green_plush_quaggan_backpack_cover_giveaway_on/

6 month old post about an alienware giveaway for the backpack skin, still works, got a code and all, figured it'd be worth posting here if anyone else wants a green diseased son on their back

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Without just going on a 20 pages rant about MMOs, all the MMOs that are still alive in the west are good at what they do and appeal to a certain kind of audience, and I don't personally hesitate to switch around when I want something else or a different experience.

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah... I don't know if I can reasonably resist this one.
I have the Cyberscale and, while I love the look of it, some of the effects get annoying.

Same. What did me in and made me get the plush skyscale was that the wings aren't ginormous, that is a huge plus to me

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I have a confession to make : this wintersday is the real first time I've ever interacted with an event in GW2, that wasn't run around in the halloween maze. In 11 years.

I have made so much god damned money. What the gently caress have I been doing. They're not even that bad. (though to be fair I usually am not playing when a festival is on!!)

In other news, I have been messing with thief lately, and I kinda wish the elite specs fed more into the class fantasy. Daredevil is ok with a staff and a power build, but the closest I've felt to a sneaky thief, like an actual thief, is using a condition build with Deadly Arts / Shadow Arts / Trickery for survivability. Like, well specter is fun, but it's not thief-y, and god do I hate that the daredevil rifle does not pierce on every skill, makes it kinda miserable to use. I also don't like maleficent seven, and any build without it just does not feel like the spec is worth playing - at all. Kinda depressed but also funny to run around as a core thief, I guess!

(I should specify that this is purely for open world, I have no particular opinion on instanced pve builds for thief)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Quite literally selling everything related to the festival I can - presents, diamonds, weapon drops, anything that isn't account bound.

The strike (secret lair) is like 1.3-1.5g a pop for something you can do while watching a show. Is it a good use of your time? Probably less so than other sources of gold farming, but it is god damned braindead.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

On a bad day I get 50-100 ectos doing absolutely fuckin nothing but the bare minimum of meta events (Dragonstorm, convergence, maybe a Hot meta or two) and a couple of other things that are not very intensive.

Yeah it's a lot of ectos, but if you just do stuff casually like a convergence here or there, couple of weekly rift hunts, you should line up the amount of essences with what you need in terms of ectos for a set of armor. Though honestly the extras you need in terms of collections JUST to unlock the right to make the armor does feel excessive (you need extra currency, gifts of whatever and another kryptis essence)

If you play a lot, raid armors are a no brainer, but for more casual PvE players that don't raid but might have a lot of resources laying around, I don't think it's particularly bad. Though it also makes it the only legendary armor you can credit card swipe on, since you can buy most of it on the TP, including essences (keys + amalgamated essences)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I admit defeat in this debate of ideas

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

That sounds absolutely bizarre to me so either you are playing a lot more than you think or i am playing a lot less than i think. I have a grand total of 700 ectos, that is my total gained from all my playing since PoF. (minus whatever i have spent on crafting things, so another 200 or so)

Realistically if you have all the expansions / LW, you can get a decent amount of unids rares a day, plus the chance at rares from blues / greens.

Usually on a day I play I do : Tequatl, Chak Gerent, Octovine, Dragonstorm, Convergence (about 2 hours and a half total) and if I feel real good, I add Pinata, Skywatch, Amnytas and I leech the tail end of a Drakkar meta (about an extr ahour and a half). If you land on a Chak or Octo map where people played, you can run around and loot caches, as well as do hero points (the loot adds up from HoT metas!) which are usually done by other people while waiting, so you net a decent amount of extra loot, as well as some from Treasure Mushrooms.

I don't even do Fractals because I hate it, and I should do Strikes more often, especially since I am a moron and blew most of my blue crystals on stuff, cause I forgot that I should spend those on summoning stone for money weekly.

e: I mention my time in hours but realistically like more than half of that is spend afk because of forced waiting time - before octovine, after gerent, waiting in front of a convergence, pinana, etc, is all time where I just like watch a show or do anything else waiting for stuff to happen. So it's not even like a hardcore 4 hours of playing

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 20, 2023

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly a lot of the elite specs are so complicated that I'd prefer it if they just got rid of a lot of them and added their mechanics back into the actual utility skills classes used to be based around.

I've been thinking about this a lot and honestly I feel like the big issue is that a lot of the core class content is like, terribly outdated. A lot of weapons just don't feel good to play, or a lot of older skills are just outright bad.

Having alternate weapon skills where a weapon can do 2 things (2 of support/heal/condition/cc/physical/whatever else) would be a nice start, though that wouldn't fix that a lot of weapons just are straight up bad or don't feel good to use...

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Knocked out the HOPE III + IV collections (well almost Hope IV, got 2 ish things left to go) in about 2 days, so that was pretty cool. Still have to kill the Arah wizard, which just reminds me how terribly unfun untimed events were.

(yes yes I know that gw2 had some charm when world bosses just happened instead of being on a schedule but also afking at Arah for an untold amount of time is not exactly fun either)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I play on a steam deck and performance is mostly ok but I have everything turned low

GW2 could use a massive performance pass however, because it became quite unoptimized over the years. I'm not entirely sure everyone looking like a new year's firework show has a lot to do with it as much as I guess it just became less optimized over the years. Does feel bad to drop in frames no matter the machine you play on though

(I will crash in convergences sometimes but the message pops up and won't crash the game till I accept so that is very funny)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

GW2 does transition from "this is cute" to "drat I am killing a huge monster with 50 people this is pretty epic" but it never once kinda felt overwhelming, as you are meant to level through areas with the story so your character does gain more prestige. It always felt like a logical progression.

Of course they do keep some of the sillier type of events for higher levels, so that does add to the charm (at least in my opinion!)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

The problem I have with SoTo and EoD (and to an extent PoF, even though the maps are better) is that they're not HoT, and for all the poo poo HoT deserved at launch, god drat does running through VB or AB (and I guess TD if you feel like it) feel loving smooth and good and fun. Like the events are on a rotation with metas resetting them, there's always something to do, the metas are always there and will pretty much never fail unless you arrive late and land on a dead map, etc

I realize that a lot of this is fueled by the fact that I've played those maps better, and that they were made better by more recent masteries, but god loving damnit I still find myself in Auric Basin most of the time because it's just fun.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

If the issue is damage you could maybe swap Chaos for Illusions or Dueling? What exactly are you not getting traction on, damage or survivability? Chaos seems to give a lot of boons in the build, but maybe you could also just swap around utilities for damage? I assume that's the issue here

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

They probably just lost a lot of veteran devs / designers over the year, on top of them probably trying to scramble how to best monetize stuff so they cut corners on a lot of things. I'm of the opinion that the story in gw2 was never really fun to play through and more just a means for me to unlock stuff, so I always shrugged a lot of it off because I simply just don't care - it doesn't excuse it, of course, but man do I have other things that I'd prefer to think about

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I'd say easiest would be Necro for light armor

Incidentally some braindead Quick too - both for Reaper and Harbinger (quite literally just pick a trait and that's it)

I don't think mesmer can be too hard (thinking Staff Condi Mirage, Virtuoso) but it can have some harder stuff (I haven't played much of it but continuum shift on chrono looks to require some learning) and Ele is well, it's elementalist. I think Cata can upkeep quickness on itself decently well though, but I'll let others speak on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

Do you mean relic?

Not sure virtuoso can do alac?
I have a staff/staff mirage which does alac with a fairly small rotation but it doesn’t feel like i do much else.
The chronomancer continuum shift rotations looks like the most unfun gameplay i have seen 😅

I meant the elite specs for the former. They both poo poo out quickness in shroud, though Reaper is personal quick and Harb gives it to you + allies

For the latter, I mostly answered in terms of easy to play light armor classes / e-specs, regardless of boons uptime