Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

BadLlama posted:

GW2 has simultaneously some of the best looking scenes still in an MMO and also the worst, it is very weird. I'll look left and be like drat that is a nice looking view, then look right and be disgusted at what appears to be a 1996 N64 art asset.

That's a good way of putting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Maybe in another 10 years there will be mini-pet battles and we can finally find out if Speedo Faren or Bikini Kasmeer would win in a fight.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ugh I want to get the expansions but the cheapass deal-seaking part of me requires there to be some sort of sale. I thought for sure there would be something for the 10 year anniversary.

Probably wait and see for next week.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Jabarto posted:

I'm just now getting back into the game after about 2 years, is it true that warriors have fallen from grace in a pretty major way? I mostly stick to open world stuff so I suppose balance isn't that critical (and I still have a lot of fun zipping around with my heavily armored regenerating might factory at any rate) but it'd be good to know if I ever get back into WvW.

Bladesworn make big numbers appear and make noticeable burst chunks of health disappear in bosses, in PvP bladesworn also dominate.

Though for raids or open world 99% of the time you'll just be wondering why you are wasting your time positioning and pressing keys on your keyboard and even having to time those presses instead of just playing power mech instead and ignoring all that.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That was written before they patched it so you could auto-cast the mech skills, it would of cut down on that guide.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think the main pain point comes from mech being the only thing like that (besides firebrand)

Elementalist don't really have a 1 button option, it's an entirely different game for them and all that effort usually comes up short of that 1 button play.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Server used to restrict you in PvE, long ago, in the before times, but shortly after launch they did away with that and suddenly every map was generously populated across the entire game instead of it varying from server to server.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah this is kind of annoying. I bought the 'molten' infinite tools years ago and I guess they aren't one that get a glyph.

Same, molten was the very first infinite pickaxe introduced and got it, now I feel a bit stuck because glyphs on the market are very expensive and I can't cheaply or easily just buy say, a volatile sickle, I got to buy the entire infinite set.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Phoix posted:

I've had my Bladesworn living in Dragon's End for 2 weeks now with the same 10 stacks of Dragon's End Contributor and I am convinced he will never get to leave the zone. I've seen Soo-Won once and it timed out because there weren't enough people breaking defiance

Have you tried just keeping an eye on LFG after it's entered the preparation phase but before the battle phase on /wiki et? you should kinda consistently win the meta if you join a active group that sorts people into alac/quickness subgroups, if you just try and force it with rando's who don't know what their doing you'll always fail.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 4, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Arenanet really didn't know how to support the game going forward from launch, I hope whichever higher-up in the company no longer works there that had the bright idea that the devs should be in eternal crunch-mode as they push out monthly content which would then be removed and wasted and trigger FOMO burnout (until they got their heads out their butts and started scrapping together the old abandoned content)

Apparently they wanted it to be like a TV show that you could only watch once and then all recordings were burned and you could never watch it again, Anet eventually found their niche as the game with a million billion collectathons that you can just ignore until you feel like doing them.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Living story season 1-4 plot summary:

LEYLINES LEYLINES LEYLINES STOP THE DRAGON'S FROM EATING THE LEY ENERGY

Prediction for living story season 5 plot:

VOID VOID VOID STOP THE DRAGONVOID'S FROM EATING THE LEY ENERGY

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I'm finally getting Ascended stuff on my mains and it really sucks how much it takes to make/buy them.

Yeah, yeah I know it is worth it but I don't have any crafters at a high enough level and I just want to do it now.

Nm: Got leather working to 500, at least.

Having 500 crafting skills is handy to have, my suggestion is just get good gear/a good build on 1-2 characters and try your hand at raids/fractal dailies and cm's and the very easy weekly strike missions.

Raids in particular vomit ascended items at you for doing a <5 minute boss fight and really aren't as daunting and complicated as they are made out to be, the only hard part is finding 9 other people who know what they are doing and can fill some niche builds and knowledge checks for certain fights.

Wings 1-4 are particularly easy and quick to run through with a semi experienced group, if that is still too daunting you can just do the weekly wing with the 50% increased stat bonuses as you learn.

Teq/Triple Trouble/Drakkar can also give you the occasional rare ascended box for a low effort zerg option and ascended weapons are plentiful from specialization collections.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Tambaloneus posted:

Are there any other bosses that drop cash gold? I didn't know teq did, so if I add that to my rotation with dailies & dragonstorm I'd be up to 6 a day. I'm at the point in the legendary crafting process where I'm scrounging for the stacks of t6 that I need, and farming them is way more boring than doing events and potentially getting other stuff from the rewards too. Oh when I think about how many t6 I have sold in the past for gems. Anyway I'm halfway there on most of the stacks but those 4 gold a day come in handy.

Also if you see me in wvw feel free to smoke my rear end I'm literally only there for the reward track that gives dungeon tokens, I couldn't care less how often I get wrecked. Get some easy points.

Here is a list of "daily" stuff I've been doing to make a steady income of gold, skip any you lack the unlocks or patience for:

Meta timer zerg stuff:
At reset Tequatl > Leyline man in timberlane and gathering everything before it spawns > TD Teku Nuhoch waypoint for treasure mushroom right before Chak Gerant > AB Eastwatch waypoint for treasure mushroom right before AB meta > Grothmar valley for the ooze boss for a 2g key > Time for Dragonstorm right after ooze dies to end the run.
Another event chain to keep an eye out for is Karka queen (check for blooming flowers on the minimap for 25s each) > Verdant brink night bosses, can camp for the matriarch above the middle waypoint early with a skyscale > Pinata in crystal desert if instance isn't full, doomlore shrine is another event that takes a minute to do after showing up late and gets you 1g.

Then just keep an eye on lfg for dragonfall/dragonend which give 4g/15g in materials for the boss kill and dragonfall is very high gold/hour from all those chests and events.

None-meta timer stuff for daily gold:

Drizzlewood coast vendor to buy cheap keys and trade cheap materials towards mystic clovers and mats.
Home instance gathering and converting 25 quartz to charged quartz and Guild hall gathering and using converters to turn HoT materials and ascended mats into loot bags (hot converter is a lot of gold return usually)
Park alts you don't play regularly at valuable jumping puzzles chests (use teleports to friends if they are piling up) and loot them each day.
Dailies, Daily PvP and WvW can be quicker then most PvE dailies and more rewarding, if you don't like pvping much save the reward potions for "daily reward earner"
While waiting for Pinata, use griffon/skyscale to reach the rich quartz vein and then fly over to Sanctum of Nabkha to loot the chests there, afterwards head to Tomb of Primeval kings to grab the chests there.
While waiting for Drakkar, hit up the red > green > blue large/medium essence chests, with griffon/skyscale it takes a few minutes to open all of them and it's a lot of valuable materials.
Flax farms across HoT and S3 are pretty decent gold for the time it takes to reach them and harvest them.
There are 3 Grand/Magnificent chests in the Echovald eastern treetops that give 1-2 jade runestones each and only take a couple minutes to reach via skyscale/griffon I like to hit up.
Killing 10 krait a day for the sunken key is pretty good gold.

And here is probably the fastest gold in the list:
Check Seitung Province LFG for "Levi Farm" you can make around 20g/day from killing 10 leviathans that show up in seitung/kaineng, usually if you see someone in subgroup 2 there is one up right now, you can kill 2 per map instance before you need to either swap characters or do a event to reset your ambergris limit.
Fishing in general is really really high gold/hour if you are maxed out for it and check what baits you need, do a bit of fishing in the downtime during metas, get lucky and get 2g+ per legendary fish.
And be sure you rush the end of the Arborstone mastery track for Globalization so you can grab 5 summoning stones each week that are worth 6g each or doing weekly EoD strikes for the green shards to buy 10 mystic coins per week and lotsa liquid gold for all 4 strikes.

According to gw2effiency doing this has been a steady climb since I started playing again.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My personal conspiracy theory on the mech dominance is aside from it being the pet favorite of the main balance lead who designed it has been caught saying he has buffed simple weapons because he disliked playing complicated ones (and hated engineer's kits) is that they wanted the most simplistic braindead dps spec imaginable so they could get consistent tests done on pve encounters, or because the balance devs needed to play the game and perform to a certain level to not get fired.

For those concerned mech is going to be nerfed, we've expected nerfs for months, but every single balance patch has been buff after buff or "nerfs" that actually end up as a net positive or buffs for holosmith that actually buff mech more, I finally geared up a brand new Sylvari Engineer I named G-Mo and his robot Mech Santos after the patch that made it so all the mech skills could be crtl-clicked to autocast, removing the only buttons the engineer had to actually press to do top damage.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 7, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Oh is that news to you?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Another gold making tip, if you've done EoD to get your jade bot, install one of these
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scavenger_Protocol:_Magic_Trophies
It'll be a constant trickle of income as you play and you'll eventually notice you got 250 unopened bags in your inventory full of mats, including T6.

The only downside to it is you'll get the occasional chat message that you found something... 250 times.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Soysaucebeast posted:

I have a lvl 80 booster and no idea what class to use it on. I'm torn between Thief, Warrior, Revenant, and Guardian (I have an 80 everything else) but I really don't know what's the most FUN. I really like my Reaper Necro and my Mirage Mesmer, but I never really got the hang of Elementalists (I just never feel like I'm playing it as well as I could), and my Ranger just seems boring to me. I'm leaning Thief, but I don't have any heavy armor classes and that might be a fun change of pace too.

Any recommendations?

Guardian if you want a best-in-class support spec for raids/fractals and some really crazy good utility in the form of aegis/stability/cc/reflects for the team.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Tambaloneus posted:

Here you go have a giant jade coloured wave

Spat outta midjourney on a whim (was trying for a storm in shades of dark green and tried jade to see how it looks) figured it looked a bit 'jade sea' ish & figured it could work as fanart of a sort. I then tried to do any of the dragons without much success I can never quite get the number of eyes or faces or even heads right. I'll keep trying.

Have some stable diffusion pictures I decided to do after seeing that.

Bonus Kodan city and Dredge drill digging sideways across the ice.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 9, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Prompts:
City carved into the side of a green ocean wave turned to stone with travelers walking across on foot, intricate, highly detailed, smooth, artstation, digital illustration by ruan jia and mandy jurgens and artgerm and wayne barlowe and greg rutkowski

Stormy Seas frozen solid with travelers walking across on foot, intricate, highly detailed, smooth, artstation, digital illustration by ruan jia and mandy jurgens and artgerm and wayne barlowe and greg rutkowski

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
And have some loading screen art and Kaineng load screens.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/121101-quick-update-on-the-skills-and-balance-team
New skill and balance team lead.

Going to go out on a limb and say the higher-ups didn't like that the old guys approach was so bad it blew up into a giant shitstorm.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 10, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The story missions improved slightly when they developed "walk and talk" technology.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

these are great please keep posting these

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 11, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Deformed Church posted:

You're really making me miss old LA.

Don't we all.

gandlethorpe posted:

What happens if you add "guy waiting for the bus" to the LA prompts?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

What if Lions Arch but in Blade Runner?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
And one more of Lion's arch just because I feel like this one could be a actual loading screen seen in the game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Everyday we stray further from God's light.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

The currency bloat DEAD GOD the currency bloat. It is really hard to keep a handle on the dozen different things I collect in each zone.

Be thankful to whichever dead god you pray to that there is a currency wallet now and you don't have to physically carry around your currencies and keys around taking up slots per-character and needing to be brought to the relevant merchant with stacks in inventory and not just in your bank.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

cyclical posted:

The End of Dragons dailies are worth taking a look at

Specifically, try to fit in the "fish 4 times in x location" daily, doesn't even have to be a fishing hole, just catch something 4 times, takes a minute, it can regularly reward some ascended fish meat worth 20s each or a ambergris worth 2g.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Were dyes ever not account bound?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Luggage posted:

Most home instance nodes paid for in gems or gold directly or indirectly (e.g. via achievements) range from "pay for themselves in a few months" to "will take half a decade of daily use to break even".

https://fast.farming-community.eu/gathering/home-nodes

Use this website and sort by "days to pay off"

I'd say anything that takes about a year to payoff is going to be a good pickup if you intend to play that long, especially if you are floating a bunch of gold in your pocket and want that gold to start generating more gold for you, but you can just not bother if you are either at constantly 0 gold from impulse buys or know some people you can join on their 10k gold home instance.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 19, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I finally broke in to T3 fractals and people are such poo poo.
T1 and 2 were great but not it's a ton of primadonnas doing gear checks and leaving at the slightest issue.

I need to just tough this out until T4, which will hopefully be soon. I have the gear for it, just not the frac level.

In every co-op game the middle difficulty is ALWAYS populated by the least skilled/most toxic and those two traits cause a feedback loop of suck.

Try and skip ahead to T4 asap by joining some guildies group and just slot in 150 AR and some fractal potions, people will know what they are doing and be more chill.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

On top of having the best core and HoT backstory and the most varied character appearances they also have the best both female and male voice acting with the least grating repeated voice lines unlike some other choices (I COULD OUTRUN A CENTAUR)

It also makes it both hilarious that the player character is leading factions and killing elder dragons while around a week old and also infuriating that Scarlet has trained under every major lore character and surpassed them and single handedly created globe spanning alliances of groups that should hate eachother, all while like 2 weeks old.

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah my AR is already over 150, I just don't always have access to T4 groups. Lots of groups pop right after reset but I'm usually not available until later or way earlier.

You could always just check lfg or create your own lfg? you just need 3 dps and 1 quick and 1 alac, one of which heals, usually the firebrand.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 19, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

jokes posted:

I really like the Sylvari cultural armor.

It's criminal that since release there hasn't been much if any new plant armor released, they could of had some sylvari armorsmiths growing armors for sale based on the season.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

I regret nothing. :colbert:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

I already have a norn necro but how could I say no to mushroom head?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's an almost universal agreement that people preferred old lion's arch to the new one.

Old lion's arch was a top tier MMO city for it's design.

Strategic Tea posted:

Also why does the most bustling port in the world have like one ship in it?

It doesn't bother me as much as after playing The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion where the imperial city had giant galleons sitting in the docks that had no possible way to actually get to the docks besides fast travel because every river was shallow, tiny, twisting and had multiple stone bridges.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 23, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

orcane posted:

Instead of crafting ascended gear with expansion stats, it may be cheaper to craft a cheap core set, then stat change that in the mystic forge.

Yeah, it's a trap to get the overly expensive recipes instead of using the forge to stat swap.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

pointlessone posted:

Does this work for rings? I've had a couple drop in pvp with absolutely worthless stats that is live to get use out of.

What you should do with those ascended rings is attune them (1 Agonized Essence 1 +1 agony infusion 1 philosopher stone and the ring in the forge) and then use a 1g ascended salvage kit (that you sometimes get for free from fractal dailies and cm's)
They salvage into Stabilizing Matrix's which make it profitable to salvage those rings and attuning them gets you a extra.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If you have a bunch of mystic forgestones sitting around (and what else are you going to use them on?) I would hold off on the silver-fed until you are completely dry on mystic forge stones, it's also purely karma to make them from some living story vendors compared to spending 2g 50s for every stack of 250 rares you salvage.

I make a lot of those kits and also took my magic find from halfway full to maxed out by using them to salvage ecto's and I still got over 250 mystic forgestones sitting in my bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

tarbrush posted:

Oh which vendors are these?

Almost every living story section has one, but I find the fastest is doing the Melandru shrine in New-Orr, a quick warp to the shrine, kill like 4 undead and purify the corpses all at once and done, then I buy enough kits for 10 more 250 use salvage kits and don't need to come back for long time.