Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing on and off for the whole 10 years (and GW1 & LotrO before that), seems crazy. Last few years have not been as active and I've mainly been just logging in to do the story, really.

The 10 year achievements for the armor & stuff are easy enough, but it kinda hammers home the point that I may be past the world boss trains and doing mindless events mashing buttons for hours on end.

The armor is dope, though, and it looks great on my sylvari mesmer (virtuoso) who was my first character and who I picked up at EoD to complete the story with, to close the circle. (too bad the leggings make your waist super wide as usual and don't look like they fit with the chestpiece)

Welcome to new players though! Don't get overwhelmed with all the stuff that's available to you. (also I wish we could've had a raptor to start out with back in the day!)

Mazed posted:

Full disclosure, I have yet to even try expansion areas. Though I've heard some are frustratingly designed, I kind of like it when it feels dangerous to wander off, so maybe that won't be an issue.

First expansion HoT areas are the toughest, and even they have been nerfed down. But it really feels like a hostile, maze-like environment, which may or not be incredibly frustrating and fun at the same time. The name of the game is verticality. Later PoF they toned it down a lot and the maps are super open and wide and generally a lot easier to travel.

Here's my sylvari glowy lady, Aurys of Dusk.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

explosivo posted:

I rolled a new toon and am having a really good time, a bit bummed that most builds (at least the better necro builds in the link Deformed Church posted) require expansions. Not sure if I'm going to be getting into this so much that I'll be buying the expansions but we'll see!

You can probably clear the whole game as a necro minionmaster with ease.

Some of the more OP builds require expansion elite specs, yea, but necro has a lot of good core options.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

By the way, they are now selling the First Gen mount skins with a mount select license - something that was told years ago was "impossible" by the devs and basically said "it will never happen". So now I am incredibly tempted to finally get that Starbound griffon skin with the gems I have saved up over a few years. (I dig the starbound mount skins, haven't bought any other ones than those).

I have no idea how long this has been a thing but it certainly wasn't last time I played actively.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Luggage posted:

Regarding mount skins: a new container named "mount skin selection license" or some such surfaced yesterday. It let's you pick one of many mount skins, even some rarer ones like the Starborn ones. Expectation is, that ArenaNet will give each player one of these for free when logging in between tonight and tomorrow night (more like noon-ish in the US). So if you can, try logging in once within the next 24h and grab it from the gemstore.

I would've liked to have known that before buying one and getting my Starbound Griffon skin

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Azubah posted:

Finally got the drat missions to finish by having a youtube video on in the background, that's a very stupid solution.

Quick question during the final mission for the original campaign, are destiny's edge supposed to be completely useless? They just stood in the back of the ship.

You'll find that this is more or less how every single story instance works in GW2. Everyone except you is a complete moron who does maybe 1 point of damage, which I assume is a design choice not to take away from YOUR EPIC FIGHT if they were actually contributing. At least in some fights they rez you (and then go back to doing nothing).

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I always thought people's hate for Traherne was somewhat unjustified. Granted I started as sylvari where he is with you all throughout personal story whereas for other races he just gets dropped on you later saying "here's this guy he's important okay bye".

He's a scholar, not a soldier, and sort of gets pushed into a role he didn't ask for but tries to do his best anyway.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Palawa Joko got done dirty by the GW2 writing team and you can't change my mind on that.

If anything he should get his own side story.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Copper-fed salvage kit, unlimited crafting tools, some bag space. Special area pass, perhaps, I got Lily of Elon with PoF and it's been more than enough.

Personally I wouldn't put money into shared inventory slots especially if you are starting out and are focusing on one character. I have been fine without any, have the Copper-fed kit and the Lily of Elon pass in there and didn't have much to put on the 3rd so I put the Arborstone teleport there.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It was a lot more tolerable with the rewinder and TacO overlays which show you the right way. Could never have done it without them.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I wish there would be a way to have a selection screen with a group portrait of all your characters, the active one highlighted and the rest in grey, kinda like those elite spec reveal pics.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'd really love that portal item thingy but the thought of doing multi episodes worth of meta events is not getting me excited to return to the game. I have mostly done nothing after finishing EoD, had no interest for return to season 1. I mean, there's gotta be some terribly tedious ones there? Wouldn't be meta other way.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Late Unpleasantness posted:

Yes, all of season 1.

I mean, I was there when we hammered down signposts, I never wanted to Return to it.

e: I did want the epaulets so I started doing the latest return bit. And there's SO MUCH TALKING my lord I did not even remember there being so much talking you can't even skip in S1 aaarrrggh

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 9, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've played mesmer as my main basically all throughout GW1 and GW2 (don't even want to think about how many years that is by now) and even though GW2 mesmer is somewhat different than the lockdown-based GW1 mesmer, it's probably the most unique class in the whole franchise and one I still love playing. Every elite spec adds something new and currently I'm happy playing as virtuoso, even though I have no idea how "meta" it is at this point.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

A lot of the EoD characters are so completely forgettable that I'm not exactly looking forward to doing Living world with them. At this point honestly they should just flip the table and have us get stranded on a new continent or something to give it a fresh start instead of Commander this Commander that.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

Wait as one of those dorks from way in the past who first quit during the start of living story, you're telling me there are characters worse than trahearne?

Trahearne is miles ahead better than the other Living world companions you get and this is a hill I'm willing to die on, even if my first and main character was a sylvari.

Also core personal story is better than anything else that comes after it, just ruined by talking heads dialogue style and awful Zhaitan conclusion. It's actually a coherent story, at least.

The problem with EoD characters is mostly that they're very forgettable and bland. At least people love to hate Scarlet and Braham. No one talks about That One Chinese Guy With A Hat or That Other Chinese Mechanic NPC. Also the story feels _incredibly_ rushed and sometimes people refer to events that have not happened to us or if you follow the main story, happen in map events or somewhere else between the lines.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The further the story goes, the less sense the the whole dragon energy / killing ED's thing makes. The void stuff is just icing on that particular cake.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Happy to hear they're changing their dev cycles.

I'd come on for each expansion, play through the story, realize I hate grinding metas and stop playing for a while.

GW2 is one of my favorite games I don't play that often, haha.

This is basically me too, I came back after a hiatus for EoD, played through the story and then went "I don't really want to grind" and stopped playing again only to come back for the Season 1 return simply because I felt like I deserve the fancy epaulets and the cape for being there for it live when S1 first came out and being with the game for so long anyways. After that I've stopped playing once again.

I had a similar story with LoTRO but the time between log-ins gradually became longer and longer and once I logged in with several new expansions and maps being added and was so overwhelmed I decided to move on. Got a lifetime sub for 200€ which in hindsight still probably saved me some money in monthly sub fees.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I was looking to get back in doing some WvW with my mesmer, since I always struggled a lot with my warrior. The top build is celestial, though, and every piece of armor is quite expensive. I might have a few surprlus select-your-stats pieces and jewellery around, but I'd need to rack up some gold for a full kit, so I didn't go through with it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I used to play a lot of WvW with my warrior (to 1085 / Silver Major), both zergs and 1v1s, but I always felt very mediocre. I've since done some PvP on my necro, but basically all content in the last few years I've been playing on my mesmer so I thought I'd look something up. You're definitely correct that for zerging and tagging mesmer is likely a bad choice. I'll check out what kind of gear my revenant has for the herald build, since it's never been one of my most used character.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That must be new since I got some from doing PvP but haven't got it from when I was doing WvW

quote:

This armor was introduced in the February 25, 2020 update.

Yep, too new for me

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It's just an easy and cheap way to get some hype with the playerbase since the devs know that those characters were almost universally loved, especially the one you mentioned.

Sure as hell more memorable than the EoD side characters.

I think at this point I'm finally ready to move on, there's a new story / map release but I don't feel like logging on at all. Especially with people saying how mediocre everything is.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't done living story or much of GW2 since EoD, but starting the current one out of curiousity just makes me amazed of how many freaking times are the writers gonna go "you need to reflect on your past". I get it, it was very traumatizing, can we just move on already?!? Of all the choices presented at the reflecting part I went "Who the hell is Cinder?" and also why the hell is Trahearne not an option for my sylvari? I know a lot of people hate him, but I've always liked his character arc, and my character definitely should. Or my mentor?

Although it doesn't seem like I've missed much content from not playing for a year or so anyway.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 25, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just recently uninstalled the game after having it on my drives continuously from launch in 2012.

If they add Dominion or Wizard's tower I will be tempted to reinstall. But if it's gonna be even more Commander PTSD with canthan NPC 's then no thanks.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

drat it *reinstalls*

Honestly, as someone who also played GW1 from 2005 or so, can I really skip Wizard's Tower no matter how much it would suck to actually see it for real and not just a mirage? Even if it's a fractal or something and not a playable map I gotta see it (please tell me it's a playable map)

PVE legendary armor does sound sweet, though. Never did enough PvP to get it from there and I never did any raiding in GW2 having burnt out in it a lot while playing LoTRO.

Although the release date clashes with Blasphemous 2 (just like EoD clashed with Elden Ring) so it'll give me time to see what it's about first.

tarbrush posted:

What is wizards tower?

It's a famous landmark all the way from the days of GW1, with no real purpose except some mild lore. I guess they decided to use it now.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wizard%27s_Tower

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 27, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't pre-ordered, since august-september is so chock full of games I want to play already. At this point I still feel that I do want to play, though, but I've seen open world so much I have to see what it's like now and how much of a grind PVE legendary armor will be.

With EoD, Elden Ring took hold for me so when I finally got into the campaign, everyone had already ran through and maybe it was another factor on why it felt bad for me.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I still haven't actually bought the xpac (despite Wizard's tower) but I'll be keeping my eye on how much actual content there is for me. The daily change at least sounds somewhat annoying, the best part of it was that there were so many options to choose from.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 23, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is my Condi virtuoso build still viable? I haven't played in the last story release, so I dunno if some balance patches have hit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is the relic system just outright worse than the old one? Both my power warrior and condi virtuoso have like, no good options from condi/power relics. Should I just put some all around support option in there?

I've done a few dailies and the weekly, but looks like there's a hard cap on astral thingie of 1300 and there's not really point to do more until I can buy the expansion (which I cannot right now) and can spend it on the legendary kit and/or griffon skin.