Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah you can't just find out what song is playing AFAIK, short of just going to their soundcloud and playing all the songs to find out.

however, they're listed here by patch, which helps narrow it down a lot: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Soundtrack

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

Is Female Human Elementalist or Male Human Warrior still top of the charts?

yeah female human ele has always been at the top of the chart

... which is very funny because i never ever see one in game lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
idk i barely see any eles on euroservers, ever mind human ones

also i play human ele, and am always using embiggening tonic and constantly get people doing second takes because i'm bigger than largest norns lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Neutron posted:

I have downloaded the Steam version and started a fresh account on the US servers out of curiosity. First impressions: holy poo poo how did we even play the game before auto loot and SSDs :negative:

at least you have aoe looting, used to be you had to walk up to every corpse and pick poo poo up lmao

also i remember fixing my lack of SSD by just having way too many rams

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
if you're playing with a good group, anyone that throws out a plethora of boons while doing damage is good support, more or less

OTOH, if you're playing with a bad group, you can probably carry their asses over the finish line one-handed with any heal build of druid/firebrand/mechanist/tempest variety

i used to have issues pugging fractals, then i started playing minstrel equipped tank+heal tempest and suddenly it was all a giant cakewalk lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

tarbrush posted:

You need elonian leather for a bunch of legendary weapons, but not damask
in addition to this, possible salvage results of almost every piece of armor are metal and cloth, while only some light and most medium armor pieces potentially salvage into leather
likewise, many, but not all weapons salvage into wood, while almost every weapon and armor piece can salvage into metal
and finally, you need 4 leather sections to make a square, while cloth only needs 3
this makes cloth and metal more abundant than wood or leather right out the gate.

leather is especially rare because not only does it drop less and is needed for legendaries, almost every single piece of ascended armor needs some leather. most non-medium varieties don't need much, but they do need some

oddly enough, cloth or damask are needed for every single piece of armor in the game, and for some time after the ascended variety of gear released, silk in particular was quite a bit more expensive than leather, but i guess eventually massive supply just won over the demand?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
when catalyst released i tried to like it, but after several rounds of fixes, nerfs, and buffs it's still just bad and i'll keep mainlining weaver for melee dps and tempest for long range and heals. at first i thought it's just getting used to it like weaver was, but eventually i just gave up because it never got good lol

the whole spec feels bad and hammer is even worse, what kind of loving maniac decided i need to f1-f4 and push 3 every time to be optimal lmao. i got dagger catalyst to kinda work alright for me, but at that point why not just be a sword weaver which flows better, does same ballpark dps, and cannot die as long as you keep pushing buttons

maybe one day anet will release another good elementalist specialization, but catalyst ain't it IMO

gandlethorpe posted:

I dunno, I've never had a problem with the core mechanics so much as all the chaff in their traits/skills. No need to rebuild from the ground up when it never felt complete in the first place with so much filler. In 10 years, ele has never gotten the kind of trait overhaul that's been seen in other professions, especially mesmers and engies.

this too

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i have 2 stacks of exotic lucks on my bank in case i ever need them for crafting stuff and eat the rest
i've never seen the legendary one i think lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:same:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the best and only actually good "red mastery" (aka base game) reward you can get is the autoloot, which you get from the advanced logistics point of pact commander mastery. it takes a while to unlock but it's more than worth it.

fractal attunement mastery is alright if you're gonna run fractals a lot (fractals are short 5 man dungeons), but also completely optional so get autoloot first since it makes the entire game more enjoyable to play

legendary crafting mastery is a waste of time so only ever do that one if you're ever finished with the other two

now the tricky part: you can only level red masteries in base game zones. as soon as you hit an expansion area, you'll get masteries/exp for that specific expansion which only level up there

some masteries take a long while to "level up", and you need to have mastery points banked up to actually claim them once the xp is filled out, but the points are generally a non-issue since you get so many just doing random things and exploring maps

e: the red masteries are very boring affairs. you get more interesting poo poo like gliding and mounts in the expansions

e2: also, you only need agony resistance for high level fractals, it's a thing you slot into ascended items and you definitely don't have to worry about that yet

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 10, 2022

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AmbientParadox posted:

I’m thinking about Gw2 at launch where your skill tree progression was locked behind tomes that would be world drops and sold for small fortunes in the TP back then. That sucked

i played gw2 at launch and i don't remember this at all lmfao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Hell I don't even remember this from the beta. Gw1 had (has?) tomes, maybe it's a fused game memory

i never got high enough in the beta for it to matter

when i think about it i have these glimpses of tomes that came at levels 40-60-80 maybe? probably? sold by some lion's arch npc

i do miss specializations giving stats though, bring back boon duration on arcane

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
[fast] is a goddamn treasure because the gw2 folklore kept saying you should be grinding loving RIBA in silverwastes 24/7 to make cash at a reasonable pace

but then these people did actual benchmarks and it turns out the best/most fun content in the game is often also the most profitable, it's just not as consistent because the meta chains can take time

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
just don't delete your current character so you keep getting new birthday mail every year

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm biased because elementalist is literally the only class in the game that can hold my interest for more than a week, but also elementalist is the runaway best class by far :v:

you'll also hate anet though because they'll make you work really hard to do anything at all with it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
good news, in modern content many doors can be burnt down or bled out!
why they do exceptions like this, rather than just change the property for all yellow objects remains a mistery though

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
tbh, i think it's good they focused on bringing back season 1, since they got a shitton of new people between S2 and EoD who can now play it

sucks for bitter vets, but you need to keep around new users too

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i just spammed blasts on an air field, gave everyone around me like 2 minutes of swiftness every minute lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Neutron posted:

I remember doing world completion back when it also required all the WvW maps :shepicide:

i got wvw map completion before queensdale lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Meeko posted:

TD is just awful as a map yeah I have to agree, chak gerent is cool and redeems it but otherwise it's just so complicated for the sake of being complicated.
it's very true to its name and i didn't mind it when exploring/doing story there for the first time, but it's a really bad MMO map because you never want to go back but there's a bunch of objectives you might want to do there lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
PoF maps are fine, they're just boring because nothing ever happens there because gw2 team thought people hate good meta events when people didn't like HoT

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my hot take is that tempest is s+++ tier when playing content with newbies or bads because i can outheal the vast majority of said content lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
if you do wvw, the armistice bastion is amazing because you can see the maps and use faction chat in it, and all the wvw vendors are there
mistlock is obviously the best if you do fractals for the easy portal and fractal vendors. always nice when you teleport there, do some fractals, and then return to exactly where you were in the overworld later

if you don't care about either of those, i think royal terrace is the smallest of the bunch, which means everything is really clumped together for easy access
that said, mistlock sanctuary has the beach ball minigame, and a bonus skill that lets you jump to all the npcs real quick

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

pointlessone posted:

Funny thing is, I want at least one spec of Ele that does just that. All in, balls to the wall commitment to 1 to 2 elements (chosen through the trait lines) where all the utilities and weapon skills drive that single/duo mindedness - maybe even a transformation into an elemental avatar for proper skill usage much like Weave Self's design idea. Full removal of the unselected elements.

that's just staff power build, isn't it?
camp fire, spam 2 and 5 on cooldown between autoattacks lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
what worked for me on EU was
I joined one of the large guilds that constantly run metas while spamming recruitment ads, randomly join a learning group they spam in guild/discord, oops cleared all the strikes and 3 raids lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the trick to clearing raids in public groups is really simple: just be able to clear solo, then any extra players are just bonus dps that makes it go faster

e: realtalk since you have the sthola av, ff14 makes you do content that's about as hard as the harder strikes/easier raids and people queue for roulettes constantly anyway. sometimes you wipe 5 times or whatever but mostly it's smooth

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 14, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i built a bifrost before armor/rings etc existed and i'm kinda sad because i'd rather have those, since builds generally depend on weapon types but armor is global and staff dps has been garbage on ele basically ever since so i only ever use it for heal tempest lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
as someone who did a lot of casual and high end raiding in ff14, gw2 somehow manages to miss both marks.

they're fun dungeons, but they're not something i'd want to do 10+ times or however many is needed for the legendary poo poo, i'd rather spend more time in drizzlewood or whatever. open world legendary is good news. hopefully the skin doesn't suck

otoh the primary reason i have for wanting it is because i'm running low on skin change charges so i guess it's not that important lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm sure there'll be a legendary relic and they'll add more fancy poo poo to do so it'll be worth making it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i immediately logged in and checked hammer weaver, and the gimmick is just it giving 2 stones instead of 1
horns.aiff

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
weaver and tempest are extremely my poo poo, but hammer is just completely garbage, to me. maybe i'll like catalyst with a sword though

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i liked p. much all the stories in the game post base-game (base game is good at the start but then falls off a cliff imo though i guess even that depends on which race/origin you pick), but i wasn't in a rush and playing all of it in a full party of friends :shobon:

still find ff14 way better story wise but gw2's is completely serviceable

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that's art

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
really wish mmos in general, but gw2 in particular took a hint from ff14's book here and just had universal "this skill hits with 100 potency and 1s recast time, that skill hits with 250 potency and 2 bleeds with 3s cast time 10s cooldown" descriptions, where potency is then just multiplied by your stats to get the final numbers

it's already how the game works anyway, but coefficients (potency) are hidden unless you check the wiki, for some reason??

then, no matter what build you have the tooltips are very clearly readable, instead of having to compare 5432 damage autoattack with 16210 damage 3s cast skill or whatever, and afaik tooltip numbers are sometimes inaccurate for some reason too so you can't even rely on that universally

the numbers on tooltips constantly changing when you swap around traits and boons or gear and poo poo ends up being so annoying in the long run, too, because their relationship doesn't change since the coefficients and recast speeds are just dps multipliers

it'd make crunching the approximate numbers in ones head so much easier when trying to build a character, so i really don't understand why gw2 doesn't do it like that when building a character is a big part of the sales pitch

setting up a condi build already does work like that. "this skill gives 2 bleeds, that skill gives 3 bleeds" etc, so i have no idea why power setups have to be stupid with hidden and/or unreadable numbers and poo poo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Guest2553 posted:

I just like pressing buttons haphazardly and seeing pretty princesses. Give me an infantile mode where all damage is normalized to 25k DPS against a backdrop of Michael Bay particle effects irregardless of keypresses.

isn't that just power mechanist

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the grind for skyscale is actually a non-issue with return to LWS4, since the biggest bottleneck is 250 of each map currency and wouldn't you know, those achievements give you 250 of each map currency

unless you never want to do lws4 again in which case :rip:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah if they just plop a dragon in everyone's inventory, a LOT of people will be pissed considering how much time/effort it takes to unlock them now.

no, they're doing it even better, the new collection is supposedly actually really easy
but afaik you'll need both collections to unlock all the skyscale mastery skills, you won't get POF ones if you just have the new one lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
actually it's not that terrible, i went and checked

you'll still want both masteries unlocked, but having only one won't be crippling your bird

Deformed Church posted:

^ but people don't like to hear it. All the best stuff in GW2 is the bit where you have to go hang out on weird cliffs and talk to NPCs some dev put a bunch of work into in 2011 and no-one had ever spoken to.

yeah no poo poo, the collections own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Neutron posted:

It's never going to happen. Hell, not even WoW has an ingame dps meter.

wow absolutely has ingame dps meters, and it's been really funny last couple weeks because they added a support class that does poo poo dps, but makes everyone else's dps way higher, and people keep kicking them because they don't know about it. "oh, my dps being 20% higher than the theoretical max? that's just me being really good at the game, get lost fucko" lmao

e: lmfao

Truga fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 24, 2023