Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Hakarne posted:

I didn't realize they had fixed it so you can dismount your skyscale in the air. My new favorite method of travel is flying as high as I can with the skyscale, dismounting, using the jade bot glide boost for more height, then mounting the griffon and zooming across the map. It's pretty great and now my griffon gets more attention after years of neglect following the skyscale!

Are you talking about the Aurene mastery leap or can we actually dismount midair now?

Regardless, that's still one of the ways I get a good start on mapwide traversal in those maps with sparse waypoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

AmbientParadox posted:

Traehearne does get better in HoT unironically. His writing improves and I remember the VA having to use range and emotion in the story. In Core, he’s fairly monotonous.

And then he loving dies lmao

Yeah it doesn't help that his delivery sucks throughout the core, and also he's the weird Important Chosen One in this story that didn't need one of those. Yeah, your mommy called you special, all the other sylvari got told they're special too, no one cares.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Look I saw this happen in Warlords of Draenor where the plot bent over backwards to re-introduce a villain long after he'd been squandered. It's a terrible idea and I hope we get a non-time travel plot.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

My necromancer is an asura and I've got him all up in Inquest red of the Asura cultural armor and the Inquest Mark II weapons. If the Asura are amoral little monsters, might as well lean into it!

Kept my necromancer face paint, though. Even if you've got a doctorate in necrobiology you've gotta keep something of the necromancer basics.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I didn't even think about those ears going on anything but humans. Oh my god they're hilarious.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Had to have one of each class and race and just didn't want to double up on genders. Something bugged me about having my characters share a voice, especially before the game introduced walk-in-talk.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

jokes posted:

What armor is that on your bladesworn and holosmith?

Holosmith is using the Queensdale Academy outfit, and the Bladesworn is using the Magical outfit. I've got the matching magical rifle and axes for her, too. Her name is Pretty Protector and she's perfectly anime.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I have armor sets for them but I wound up preferring the outfits, especially while leveling. Plus Pretty Protector just doesn't work if she's not in full magical girl regalia! I just wish I could transmute the Bladesworn gunblade to the Magical greatsword.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

TeaJay posted:

I wish there would be a way to have a selection screen with a group portrait of all your characters, the active one highlighted and the rest in grey, kinda like those elite spec reveal pics.

That would be cool. I also wish the screens would show their weapons, some of them just really pull the outfit together! But it's a minor thing.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah don't boost 80 on your first character, wait till you have a new class you might be interested in.

The boost has a trial period you can back out of using it, too, so you can explore multiple max level characters.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

big cummers ONLY posted:

Is there a guide for doing these things, other than looking up each individual thing on the wiki? The things people are describing feel enormous and impossible to sort through. I would like to do some of them but I can't even imagine where to start. When I start hitting the wiki, it's a lot of work to translate those pages into usable, actionable information. I end up alt-tabbed for 20+ minutes and end up giving up to do more hearts in beginner zones, or closing the game and opening something I can readily understand

Like in this post alone I would need to look up metas, kaineing, stacking exp boosts, dragons end, what a "commanded map" is, seitung, amber, arborstone, globalization, bot core and scavenging trophies, and each one of those pages has the potential to require even more pages to understand them

Like most things you'll learn the keywords as you play. Most of this is referring to max-level stuff in End of Dragons, like Seitung or Kaineng are just names of zones.

But meta is kind of important. Metas are basically zone-wide events that build out of smaller ones and can drastically change how a map is played for a period. Some maps are designed to be basically one dynamic event, usually leading up to an expansion finale, and others have cycles drifting between two periods of different gameplay (like a day-night cycle.)

If you've done any of the human zones with centaurs, you may have noticed how some waypoints shift availability depending on if the Seraph or the Centaurs hold the area as the result of passing/failing events. Metas can be like that on a map-wide scale.

A lot of metas, primarily ones like Dragon's End (the final map to End of Dragons) will have players who designate themselves as Commanders. They're basically self-appointed raid leaders to organize everyone on the map and coordinate victory. Some of these feel more required than others, but generally commander tags just give marks for people to flock to and consolidate numbers. You can usually see a commander on the map with a colored symbol (that may or may not be shaped like a cat). But again these are usually only on max-level maps, so you probably don't see them all that often if you're hanging out in Queensdale or so.

If you haven't already, join GOON! We're all usually bouncing around in guild chat and eager to answer questions or help guide someone.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Literally everything listed there for "efficiency" is locked behind expansions and level 80, so you shouldn't stress about doing any of that while leveling.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah I did World Completion back really close to release on my Asura necromancer. Luckily Signet of Locust existed, because I don't remember my necromancer having any easy access to Swiftness.

My boyfriend recently did world completion on his Mesmer, without mounts or gliding, and god I do not wish that on anyone.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

All of the Sylvari get a Wyld Hunt it's just all the Firstborn got the cool ones and everyone has to deal with the lame ones that resolve at level 10.

Trahearne did suck a lot though, I'm not a fan of the MMO PC being the chosen one but he does show up and basically steal the spotlight and valor from you immediately, while also just being dreadfully boring.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Mailer posted:

I tried, hard, to make a charr last night. I needed a rev and didn't want to play human, big human, or green human. After a lot of work I got one that looked relatively reasonable. Then they put the Rev headband on and it's just kind of draped over the long neck in a way that would flop off the second you moved. The armor set in the preview (what is that armor set?) was at least reasonable, using a neck strap to hold the blindfold, but the actual armor... nope. Combined with claws-through-the-boots and the long neck in general I just couldn't.

TL;DR - So I rolled another Asura.

That's the Mistward Armor, it's the armor that Rytlock uses. So it's basically designed to look acceptable on a charr, and it's not too difficult to pick up.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I can reliably go from Point A to Point B in the Desolation. It's been like 8 years of Tangled Depths and I still don't know how the gently caress you get anywhere in that map.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Holosmith feels really cool and then I discovered the giant loving laser that is the elite skill and decided I didn't need to play another engineer spec.

Sure, the golem gets a laser too I guess but it doesn't feel the same if I don't hear the fuckin THUD.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I see the official forums whine a lot about GW2 being "too scifi," especially now with New Kaineng and it's just like

Y'all have seen Rata Sum right?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The easiest way to get the tail dodge achievement is to get the mastery that makes the Skimmer dodge while hovering, and then just sit behind Teq hovering for long periods.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

They used to pop you out of the level 80 boosts in Soldier's gear, a stat set that the balance team was just straight up asking people not to use.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Humerus posted:

What's crazy is that it wasn't every class because Theives got Valkyrie which wasn't great but it was still better than Soldier's.

And I boosted my Rev like a month before they gave everyone Cele of course.

Both my ranger and my revenant fell into this same trap. I'm only a little bitter about it, time has healed my wound.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Give me a miniature Rata Sum to fly around like a death star, but also it's my house.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

It's still just absolutely stupid that you have to complete the full reward track and everything for having the privilege of keeping up with other people.

And no, the perk that pulses out move speed to others is not a solution, as it hardly ever works as intended so you can still be left in the dust.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

Thanks, this is pretty easy to use.

Is the first round of weapon proliferation on SOTO release or is it later?
I'm dying to play sword Necro.

Not till the patches after, it's just elite spec weapons first.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I'm still not really sold on the weapons going outside their specs but I'm sure that'll change when I get to play around with it.

I'm VERY excited to see what poo poo like Rifle/Mesmer and Sword/Necromancer looks like.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Vanadium posted:

Okay, so they took my Raptor away again but on the other hand my tree person elementalist has a small pile of hero points now. I understand I'll get enough hero points for everything eventually, so do I just yolo it and put them all into idk fire until that's full while leveling? I don't really understand if there's a conceptual difference between conjuring, glyph, signet, cantrip and arcane, but it's probably not that important for now, right?

Just throw those hero points around wherever. Like you said, you'll fill them all out eventually.

The skill types will correspond to what utilities you use but it's not going to be too important until you hit 80. Focus on what you think seems fun and if it turns out not to be, pivot to something else! The game changes dramatically at 80 when you access the Elite specializations.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Ryland was also de-minionfied, he just also got killed like ten seconds later for not knowing when to quit.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Play Reaper Necromancer and you hit like, four buttons total to blender everything.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

I thought I had everything I needed for a second leggy (Quip) but I'm short on Obsidian.

My day is ruined.

You can get obsidian for karma at the Cathedral of Glorious Victory in Orr.

It's expensive but karma isn't hard to come by.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

If you are considering legendary trinkets start working on your Wayfarer's Henge now.

Yes, you. Start now. You'll be grateful later.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

gandlethorpe posted:

What's the bottleneck on this, the runestones? Apparently, it takes 16 days to get the amount needed. But everything else is not time-gated, right?

Yeah, I wouldn't say leggy trinkets are a no-brainer to shoot for first. Ascended trinkets are very easy to acquire and share between characters, at least compared to weapons and armor. Plus, almost all of the ways to acquire them involve jumping through a multitude of hoops of that range from tedious to rage-inducing. Case in point, the above.

Yeah the runestones are the time gate. But the good news is you get an Ascended backpack in the process!

Draconis Mons is a neat zone in general, but it's also a lot more tolerable with the griffon and/or skyscale to navigate. I highly recommend getting those prior to working on Aurora.

While ascended trinkets are readily available in various places, it's nice to not have to think about having laurels lying around when you want to try out a new build. I highly recommend getting the trinkets, necklace, and Ad Infinitum for general quality of life, as every single character and build you play will be able to make use of them. But as said before in the thread, legendary gear is never necessary to enjoy the game even in high difficulty content.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

gandlethorpe posted:

This "don't get frozen" story achievement is pure rear end. I'd rather make 10 Wayfarer's Henges. Why is Bitterfrost the only map that needs 100% meta-achievement completion?

Necro minions and Braham did it while I AFK'd on the ridge IIRC.

If it's still going poorly for you, I'm willing to help.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The progression is Season 1, 2, Heart of Thorns, 3, Path of Fire, 4, Icebrood Saga, End of Dragons, Secrets of the Obscure.

Good news is you get season 1 for free! Bad news is season 1 kinda sucks. But they tend to do sales for the other seasons on occasion if you were looking to do things in story order. 3, 4, and Icebrood are comparable in size and tend to feel like smaller expansions. 4 is where the roller beetle mount and the original skyscale come from.

Also there's a progression towards a legendary trinket in each of 3 and 4, but I wouldn't worry too much about all this until you've hit level cap and had the time to gently caress around with your character(s) to see what you like. The 1-80 leveling process can be fun but level cap can dramatically change the way you play a class and how you feel about it.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Truga posted:

on the bright side, i finally have the correct runes in my underwater helmets

Oh hey that's not a bad idea of what I should use my singular legendary rune for.

Like next to none of my characters have a rune in that slot lol

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Meowywitch posted:

Rev is so weird to me because I'm not sure if I really need to do anything else besides activate the assassin stance thing that doubles my attacks and then hit men

Though tbf my Rev is only like level 40 atm

It can get more complicated than that but there's also just a beauty in the simplicity that Revenant can be played by just toggling on one of the sustain skills and slamming your weapon into an enemy until it stops moving.

It's basically how you run the Quickness Herald build anyhow and that's pretty beloved as far as boon support goes.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

IT IS DONE

Now I need to make Moot and find a good Pistol/Mace build. I think only Warrior and soon Guardian has that combo, right?

Engineer can do it too, but I can't think of a build that really overlaps the two.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

If that 900g estimate is even close to true I did just save a fuckton of money making the legendary rune in advance.

Still fuckin hurt the wallet though.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

tarbrush posted:

What's everyone's favourite "no thoughts just kill" build for doing the story modes. I'd kinda like to get the achievements in one fell swoop, so a mix of DPS and Not Die.

Story mode dungeons or just story steps?

I swear by power Reaper with GS/Staff for just about anything you need to solo, though a few story achievements are easier with a condition build. You can get away with full berserker stats on Reaper because necromancer already has a natively decent health pool and you have your second emergency health bar.

Unless you mean soloing dungeons, by which this will still probably work but might need some tweaking.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Speaking of, this one post has done more informational good for me wrt defiance bars than weeks of "break a defiance bar" in the wizard vault dailies.

GW2, god bless it, needs a few more tutorials.

They did a fun little tutorial Renown Heart with dodging, defiance bars, and combo fields!

In the opening zone of the third expansion. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I scraped together those masteries slowly, I wound up doing the Defend Jora's Keep meta 15 times for my last point in a mastery I'll hardly use, but at least my bar shows real exp now when I'm hanging out in Drizzlewood.