Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

A decade of WvWvWednesday went swimmingly! 45 minuites of singlehandedly holding SMC then taking it back singlehandedly after those perfidious pubbies lost it. Reminder that if you like WvW SFD runs it at least once a week on Wednesday! https://discord.gg/starfleetdental!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

here's a picture of the SMC Crew without anyone getting wazowski'd

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

jokes posted:

Are hybrid builds good, or is it severely suboptimal such that im a liability or something? or are SOME okay and most are terrible?

some are okay, most are terrible, I think weaver and soulbeast are the good grieving users atm

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

Anyone have a good Deadeye rifle build for harassing people in WvW?

They're just about the only class I have a real issue with and want to learn their ways.

full zerker force air and every survivability utility you can take (and also shadow flare for tagging)

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Luggage posted:

Even with the "useless" racial skills they had a situation where Sylvari could completely ignore a mechanic of Harvest Temple CM. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qi5cT_rgQ4

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Hello Sailor posted:

They only revived LS1 so the next LS can be time-travelling back to prevent young Scarlet from going bad and bringing her back to the present day to deal with the Void. Scarlet and Taimi will be the PC's constant companions in every episode.

and then they kiss

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i know they'll get most of the changes in all modes, what i'm asking is what impact those changes will have if any on the builds people are using in pve

it will be really annoying to play quickscrap now, but I guess you can do it at range so 🤷‍♀️

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Kris xK posted:

Silver-Fed Salvager (which I just bought two days ago) is also on sale.

Patch notes are also up, and the rage about scrapper gyros was heard:

I don't see the patch notes, link?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Is silver fed even worth it? Seems like the mystic kits go a pretty long way. I guess runecrafters isn’t for sale either but I’m always confused if either is worth getting.

https://fast.farming-community.eu/open-world/unid-gear

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you have a bunch of mystic forgestones sitting around (and what else are you going to use them on?) I would hold off on the silver-fed until you are completely dry on mystic forge stones, it's also purely karma to make them from some living story vendors compared to spending 2g 50s for every stack of 250 rares you salvage.

I make a lot of those kits and also took my magic find from halfway full to maxed out by using them to salvage ecto's and I still got over 250 mystic forgestones sitting in my bank.

I use mystic forge stones on provisioner tokens :(

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

El Fideo posted:

Since I got onto tier 2 fractals last week, I've got ascended rings falling out my rear end. What do I do with them aside from wearing?

if they're not infused, attuned, or a good stat then I vendor them

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Mercury_Storm posted:

Is there a cheap/easy way of getting an ascended armor set now without grinding crafting?

Even doing just the Emboldened Raid Wing every week will get you good progress towards ascended armor/legendary gewgaws

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

El Fideo posted:

After a several year hiatus, I returned to the game with the ten year anniversary stuff. I've been focused on getting my Engineer her mechanist skills and ascended gear for high level fractals, and that's been fun. I think I want to get into raids next. I've got Mesmer, a Guardian, and a Ranger all at level 80. Which of these would you recommend for a good support build?

Edit: Also, is there any build that recreates the feel of the Guild Wars 1 Mesmer? Where you're putting debuffs onto your enemies that punish them for taking actions? That level of control was the poo poo.

heal druid and heal/dps alac mech are both very good, Mesmer has some support builds but they're only usually used on certain encounters

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

El Fideo posted:

UNRELATED QUESTION:

Which shield looks the best with Guardian's Aegis slapped on top of it?

shooshadoo

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
they're also currency for some pretty fun stuff during the Lunar New Year, I personally save my exotic luck for that and eat everything else

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

big cummers ONLY posted:

Sweet! My last newbie question before I go off and explore: is there anything I need to make absolute sure I'm doing or I'm going to be annoyed later? Can I ignore professions or should I work on those too? I'm assuming professions are a whole mini progression ecosystem on their own and if I can hold off on learning that, it'd be aces

there's nothing (aside from deleting very old. characters) that you can do that's not recoverable trivially, crafting is a whole mini game and a decent way to make money but there's a buy in cost to even get to that level so you can safely ignore it until Later ™

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

big cummers ONLY posted:

I will at some point but iirc it's a whole auth thing and I am just the laziest Friday boi.

for both guilds it's just joining the respective discord and belligerently demanding to be let in

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

big cummers ONLY posted:

Thanks for the effortport! Are there going to be pain points related to being a free account while I wait for a sale? I will probably burn through the ten hours of free mount in the next week or two.

The only big pain points in f2p leveling are the tp and chat limitations and not being able to go into Lion's Arch until you're like level 27 (and running out of mount time) most of the expansion stuff becomes available at 80.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Meskhenet posted:

At the begining, agony was additional damage done through certain attacks. It also was a check point for Maw. IM pretty sure that even now its certain attacks that add agony and not a constant effect?

It depends on the fractal

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Meeko posted:

Research notes are actually what's keeping Core mats at least somewhat above vendor price, well at least mithril and silk. We really need another major sink like festival of the four winds tho.

there already is in drizzlewood and it's profitable but it's kind of a pain to extract that profit

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

tarbrush posted:

If you have path of fire, doing the first mission in that story will get you the first mount which is great. There may be an even quicker way of getting it?

if you own hotpof you now get the raptor and glider at level 10

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

whydirt posted:

The Wintersday earmuffs skin is available for only 25 gems right now if you want a deal on some holiday fashion!

less than 10 gold if you convert it!

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
that build is both kinda bad despite its disgusting bench and extremely deceptively hard, I do not recommend dagger dagger Deadeye to any but the most broken brained thief lovers

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Late Unpleasantness posted:

As that guy, you absolutely can, with a little effort.

I constantly rotate characters and specs and forget what buttons do and don't have meters installed and focus on high intensity achievements like annual festivals and roller beetle races.

I am an objectively terrible GW2 player and still have a good time with this dead game.

agreed, most people who play this game are terrible and most people who have been playing for a long time are terrible and complacent, it doesn't stop them from having fun though, you just have to find the way you want to have fun

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

A trick with PvP dailies I do is save the "potions of pvp rewards" and chug a couple on "pvp reward dailies" for free loot.

if you're not laser focused on a particular goal it's nice to save 80/160/240 bc 80 is how many you need to instantly complete a track

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Mailer posted:

Grenades are why I'll never be an optimal mech and am not even attempting healing scrapper. I still want to give Mesmer a try, but that LI tag on Hardstuck is almost always where I'll be gravitating towards.

Neither heal mech nor heal scrapper run grenade kit, they both run elixir gun but that's a lot less APM than spamming shrapnel grenade on cooldown

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

DangerDan posted:

I'll make a suggestion of having your first set of various Ascended Accessories be Celestial prefix. The main advantage is that if you're just starting out, it'll do decent work for almost every spec in the game & PvE mode which makes it extremely versatile, and Celestial isn't terribly far behind proper stuff like Zerker or Viper for damage if it's just your right side.

As a bonus, Celestial is great for general open world stuff due to its huge budget giving you defensive stats too.

please don't bring celestial anything to raids without letting your commander know you're doing it

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
the real important thing about ascended gear is crit capping, if you're running exos make sure you have extra precision!

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

WvW been active on maguuma these days.

it's reset night

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Luggage posted:

Trying to make some gold off the festival, but prices for Divine envelopes and those champion boxes you get 3 of per day have already dropped to "barely worth it" levels. Think they'll bounce back up once the gamba people get going or am I wasting my time and gold?

I mean it's not as big of a profit as last year but it's still pure profit for very little work

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Luggage posted:

Any particular story missions with lots of quick champs?

the fastest way to get it imo is to head to the aerodrome, start a squad, head into the mythwright gambit (left most door, covered in gold,) tell Qadim to shut up, raptor across to the boss arena, dodge the slam, the kill 3 swords

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Luggage posted:

What's a fun and agile thief build for leveling? Don't want to boost, just do adventure guide stuff. At 80 I'll switch to condition P/D to farm up HP, but that doesn't isn't valid until triple stat gear comes into play and there are way too many hearts requiring me to destroy objects in core Tyria.

dagger/dagger shortbow

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

404notfound posted:

I mean, what is "worth using?" If your only motivation is generating gold, then yeah, it's not really worth it. But it announces when a world boss is coming up and gives you a free teleport there, which is a low-intensity activity that runs on a constant cycle and is easy to slot in between other activities.

Sure, you can get most of the way there by keeping "/wiki et" open in a separate window; but as a convenience item priced at $5 USD, it seems just about right if you're into doing random open-world activities. The equivalent device for the HoT metas, on the other hand, is maybe less useful, since it just cycles through those same four activities (plus Dry Top sandstorms), which occur on a very predictable schedule

there's a blish hud module called meta and event observer that does 90% of what the world boss stone does

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's a shame guildwars2 didn't open with the quality and mounts of path of fire for it's first expansion, it's hard to tell new players to do the story in order especially if they don't own the seasonal stories which can make the whole thing seem disjointed as you jump backwards and forwards between characters you don't know.

It's nuts that maxing out leyline gliding itself takes more mastery points and exp than maxing out a single mount and not having masteries like that will completely lock you out of 100%ing the thorns maps without using the other expansions movement options in their place.

everyone gets raptor and maybe springer for free now if they own pof

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Mercury_Storm posted:

I was taking a look at some of the legendary collections to see if I could do some for fun, and did not realize that crafting the necessary items to eventually craft the precursor ends up costing not just more than buying the actual finished precursor off the TP, but often costs WAY more and has been like that for years. :rolleyes:

Apparently they used to be much cheaper to do the achievements but the economy

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
yeah the Saturday sfd raid group has gone very much zero to hero on that regard, from struggling to clear a wing in 2 hours to easily clearing 3 in a very short amount of time. with a little bit of investment raids are not scary at all

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Meskhenet posted:

What time saturday, thats going to be like my sunday, :/

3pm est

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

whydirt posted:

I’d be willing to bet that 50% of the void stuff is that it allowed easy reskinning of existing enemies instead of having to make new ones

it making no sense has never stopped them before

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

jokes posted:

Most of the time, level-appropriate gear is like a few silver while leveling up, and you'll level up loving Quick. When you're 80 you need like 15 gold to get all berserker exotics.

sub 6 gold for named armor and ruby orichalcum right side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

AmbientParadox posted:

It was just pointed out to me that the entrance to the new map is the train tunnel in new kaineng. But that doesn't make any sense. This is clearly a ship loading dock. The cranes are on train tracks the facilitate moving the large loads onto the barges. But that in and of itself makes even less sense. If the trains are returning from the mining fields, why would they use the same tracks as the loading cranes? It will just cause an accident some day. Also it means the cranes can't unload the trains and onto the barges.

maybe since it's all illegal brotherhood jade mining you're hiring a coyote to sneak you there and back?