Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Do I really need to make a discord account to join guilds? Just wondering because I've avoided discord on point and every attempt to use it makes me hate it. Just saying like, if I make an account to get invited to a guild I'd still just delete the account after being added.

Anyways, I just fixed my computer and am working on networking stuff with running a phone hotspot with proxy, but I can play now and it's been over a year since I was playing because of those things. I really don't remember what I was doing a year and half ago. I had some trade hustle going, but I don't remember what it was really. Anyways, Can someone quick explain why I have black lion salvage kits? is it just for scrapping the orange stuff to sell or for mats?

I moved the game back to my ssd because on hdd it was just horrible, but I think I moved it to store until I got things fixed. for a few months i was launching just to do trades and craft before my lack of cooling would crash me.

I solidly really dig GW2 and it clicked in my head that SA is prolly got a finger in most decent pies online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

tarbrush posted:

Just hoping the price of coins drops for a bit

gem to coin? I'm on the edge of converting a bunch of gold to gem(maybe not a bunch, I only have like 400 I'm willing to shift). I figure all the exchanges are negatively favoured so I try not to much. I got a free 24 slot bag and burnt most of my gems getting another slot. I might not need gems though, because I could just cash up SotO soon and skip lw4 to skyscale(which I might not need anyways)

So, I slept 2 hours last night and got up and finished HoT this morning, and gently caress that ending is a slog. fuckoff after fuckoff to get to a thrice annoying bossfight. by the end I seriously was ready to just shut off my game and not bother. I hated the end fight more for it's huge time waste rather than the actual effort. then it fucks me around with some whole bunch of stuff I don't even remember from 3 years ago when I stopped in the story.

But, I got that done and am now pretty tired. I missed how crazy this whole gameworld is. HoT areas are so slow if your mount drops. but it's still a lot of cool stuff to really have fun moving around.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

tarbrush posted:

No, Mystic Coins. I generally work on at least one legendary all the time, plus the wizardbux legendary box to sell, so am in constant need of coins to make clover

Oh cool, I haven't started on legendaries really. I opened one path am getting back into stuff now.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

I didn't even know there was legendary gear... gently caress, why am I trying to grind geodes?

I finish HoT the other day and that last fight is stupid. Chasing nigh invincible mobs around is dumb. I did start LW3 and there's an early fight where you have to countermagic to break a shield and I missed something so ended up looking it up on how to kill Adrienne. Some of the story fights are a huge pain in the clock.

LordAdakos posted:

With regard to too many buttons:
I use WASD and have my utility buttons (6-0) bound to z q e r c

My attacks are bound to my mouse thumb cluster

Weapon swap on middle mouse

Targeting is mousehweel left or right for cycle enemy or closest enemy

F1 through f5 are control + thumb cluster

Mount combos are x, control x , alt x, control alt x, etc

You don't need an MMO mouse by any means, but I've found it's helpful to have a few extra buttons available on otherwise unused fingies to spread the workload

Also also, I know some people who swear by a controller, so if that's more your jam, there are some really good resources available for that on YouTube, Reddit and surprisingly the steam controller layout forums.

Hope this helps.

by thumb cluster do you mean like a bunch of buttons? I thought about getting a second mouse for this and a couple other games. I just got 2 thumb buttons because mine is pretty much an fps mouse(Rival 300)

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

LordAdakos posted:

Yeah, I set this up when I had a 5 thumb button mouse, but I've upgraded to an MMO mouse (the razer naga one with the swappable side panels) . I've found so many reasons to bind things to either the 2, 6 or 12 button side panels it's been a game changer, especially since I have what mrs. Mellenger, my old music teacher, used to call "stupid fingers".

I thought about getting a Naga Hex years back, fun round button config. But, I'm looking at maybe this, the nagas are pretty good? Because that's a lot of buttons and I could pretty much swipe through combos and still have a row of mounts.

Ineptitude posted:

Counterpoint: ascended jewellery is really easy to get «for free» from map currencies.

I noticed this again recently. Like some pvp or certain map grinds and a bunch of ascended stuff isn't too hard to get by playing.
It's probably easier to gear up a couple toons than to get legendary stuff. I've got a bunch of extras in bank I haven't even used.

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 13, 2023

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Wuxi posted:

What are convergences?

I came to GW2 after playing WoW style MMOs for years, having a maximum of 15 keybinds + dodge in combat always felt like heaven to me. The number of mounts we're getting is slowly stretching the number of accessible F-keys to the breaking point though.

Speaking of legendaries, I just finished Nevermore and its even better than I thought. Shame the new Gen is all copy-pasted, Gen1/2 are great.

zxcvb then ctrl+ them. Are you reaching for Fs for mounts? No shame, just different ways people bind stuff is interesting.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Late Unpleasantness posted:

Re: many functions: I tried an MMO mouse but depend on it too much for targeting, aiming etc to be hitting buttons at the same time and ouch, hand cramps. Just enough buttons for 1+3, target enemy, Dodge and auto run.

For everything else I use an offhand keyboard replacement thingy. For right handers, the Belkin nostromo/razer Tartarus has supportive ergonomics, plenty of keys (arrows + at least 1-10), space bar, and a thumb d-pad. I map the d-pad to alt-#s (forward, all mounts), alt-shift (back, weapon sheathe and swaps etc) and special action (down). And, and, a separate thumb button mapped to F. Perfect for all these guild wars.

I had a nostromo for years until it died and it was awesome. I could lean way back in a lounge chair and use that and my mouse on the arms of the chair. It was peak laziness. But, yea it's definitely very nice in the hand and the thumb buttons are great when bound to quick actions in games.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Meskhenet posted:

map completion will give you like 400 or something, and takes about 10 mins (with skyscale,)

And yes asc jewelry is easy to get with map currency, but if you start your leggy trinkets early you get them sooner because they do take so long.

I just looked up them and will have to start. Just got to the second place in LW3 and I'll need to look for tokens now. I'm pretty much already working on Aurora without having known it was a thing.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

I made good progress on the token collector thing. Only 7 left, but jumping puzzles kill me. Hit 7k achievement points off getting the journals. A lot of collecting, but not too bad really.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

S.J. posted:

Do people tend to stick with the weapons that elite specs gain access to or is that still just playstyle preference?

I don't worry about what I should do, but my main is a Reaper and the Greatsword does a lot of work for me. I barely switch back to staff unless I need to bail and go range.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

I'm sorry if it was covered in hundreds of pages, but is there like a good way to do jump puzzles? I absolutely lose my poo poo on camera and controls on them. I might be better off with a chicklet keyboard on the laptop and not using a mech? I think action cam works a lot better, but it's still work to see where I'm jumping.

I'm pretty sure I suck at jump puzzles, but is there something to make them a bit less horrible?

I've toughed my way through everything but the ember bay one, of the ones I've seen.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Thanks for all the jump puzzle tips. I'm gonna work on the Position Rewinder this afternoon and run some tests before giving Chalice another go. So close to finishing the tokens.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

I really don't get what good Steam does for it. You could already put the launcher in as a 3rd party and run it through Steam. The wallet is something, I suppose, but not worth the extra effort.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Reoxygenation posted:

I have a question about PVP : I have been playing for 11 years. For 11 years, PVP has felt awful to play, because everything feels weightless. For clarity, I'll refer to sPvP as PvP from now on.

To be clear : I am not complaining about the balance, but everything that feels like it has weight in PvE - stunning any enemy, shmoving around - feels *atrocious* in PvP. I just can't put my finger on it. Am I insane for feeling that way? It just feels like someone can pop a stunbreak instantly and like woops there goes my feedback. Or I'll pop a stunbreak into going accidentally ragdolled about because well, didn't account for something I didn't see.

Obviously the game is great on audio cues, which help a lot, but like, am I god drat crazy? There is obviously a very high skill issue on my end here, as I don't play PvP regularly and obviously get matched against people that do, and I kinda feel silly whenever I pop in and stuff just Happens.

I feel the need that to add that I have played like 1200 games over the years, which compared to most, is not a lot, but I still feel like that's a decent amount of experience to have formed my opinion?

Juck, I have way less PvP and I totally feel the getting just wrecked from nowhere aspect. The best I've ever done is just laying conditions on people and hoping I don't get into 3v1s. I don't mind boxing out a 2v1 and hoping I get one or backup rolls in, but yea PvP is usually easy matches or getting fully destroyed.

Saraiguma posted:

spvp is a lot like a fighting game in that knowing matchups is incredibly important. you have to know what your opponent can do, what you can do against that build, and how that build counters you and play accordingly.

This seems like a very good point. I probably should play other characters or even different builds. I don't even really know much of Necro other than my Reaper build. Weaver is kinda fun from the few I've played and just spamming off area spells, but I barely know the class more than focusing fire and water.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Truga posted:

get a friend to kill that guy while you idle on the ledge at the entrance out of combat/range. there's some really awful achievements in story instances, but that one at least is completely cheesable :p

I was so happy the moment I learned the term 'cheesing' for stuff. I never knew a word for minor exploits that the devs just decided to keep in.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Luggage posted:

Oh yes, "cheese" has a history bring used for all sorts of what are perceived to be for cheap tactics (usually by the community, not the devs). Be it throwing poison clouds for 30 minutes before triggering the final boss in OG Demons Souls, getting "cheap" wins in competitive RTS games with early tower rushes or making WvW roaming a bit more manageable by running Celestial gear.

Haha, I get to obvious boss fights and spam my ground traps before they switch to red. Not like the story isn't ending with this monologuing rear end in a top hat wanting to fight. I largely also get a laugh because it was some bridge builder that I learned the term from because people would drop an ibeam on a car and fling it to the checkpoint for a win. Never heard it in glitch based speedruns or anything.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

gandlethorpe posted:

Welp, I'm done with the Aurora collections, now onto Vision. It looks like it'll be more of a chore to tick stuff off the list. There seem to be way more achievements for the S4 metas that are group-reliant than there were for S3. I honestly ended up kinda liking most of the S3 maps by the end and how I could play at my own pace for the vast majority of it.

I winged and whined over some of the S3 collections, deffo Ember Bay, but also ended up appreciating the maps. They are pretty awesome maps with griffon and decent loot/gathering.
Good work on Aurora stuff.

Thinking of Ember Bay, is there any reason to get passes to the special areas if I already have Lily of the Elon? And what's the point of the Bitterfrost Vantage Point?

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Did a couple jump puzzles today and wanted to come back for a thanking you. I finished off the Ember Bay collection and then have completed that puzzle and a bunch more. I still need to get better, but it's not a daunting task ending in abject misery. :cheersbird:

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

gandlethorpe posted:

Did a thing over the weekend :toot:

:parrot: Good work :parrot:

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Reoxygenation posted:

Quite literally selling everything related to the festival I can - presents, diamonds, weapon drops, anything that isn't account bound.

The strike (secret lair) is like 1.3-1.5g a pop for something you can do while watching a show. Is it a good use of your time? Probably less so than other sources of gold farming, but it is god damned braindead.

I've mixed this into my days. There's nothing I really need from the vendors so it's pretty easy money. A couple decent drops haven't hurt either, selling things for 6-7g.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Get rid of classes and gimme that triple jump.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

half map jumps and pop glider on landing. no need for mounts anymore.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

blahz posted:

Hope this is alright.

Prime Gaming code for the Festival Bundle - 3RRT93-CQML9-RW64-BXH-MR432X2

cheers, I don't check there enough and this reminded me to go get mine.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

StrixNebulosa posted:

Perfect, thank you! I will think on if I want to spend that cash for the LW story... and I'll play more just to, y'know, play more. :v:

If I remember it right the 3&4 seasons are after Hot&PoF. If you stick to story and don't grind or anything you might have to buy them, if you go for maxing those maps you can make a lot of gold off of them and core story to buy LW maps. Catgirl Al Capone isn't joking about the difficulty jump to expansions. HoT maps love to poo poo on you until you figure out how to avoid and wreck packs of mobs. I'd say it's even worth jumping ahead enough to unlock a griffon or skyscale to ease avoiding them when you don't want to fight.

HoT&PoF for 7.50 is a solid grab, but i haven't looked at the big packages since I already have those.

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

3) Complete does not have the latest expansion, Secrets of the Obscure, but has everything else. There's also the option of buying the non-complete collection to have the first 3 expansions and getting the Living World episodes through converting gold you earn in-game to gems. If you want to unlock the whole LW story this way it is a LOT of gold though, iirc significantly more than you'd spend buying a legendary weapon off the trading post.

is it? there's 6 in season 3 and 5(?) in season 4... 2200 gems is like less than 1000 gold if I did 17g for 40gem x 5 coming to about 85g for 200 gem for the 11, but I probably am missing on which ones I got free on release... so yea, never mind me. Happy new year.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

DoNotFeedTheBear posted:

Less useful for story stuff, but if you ever get stuck on an open world event or hero point and need some help, or need advice on something - ask in map chat. The vast majority of people are super helpful and like interacting with others.

I get help this way a lot and fly off to help whenever people need. It's never fun getting stunned/thrown around by a target when 2-3 people could just melt it.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

I'm of the mind to play through normally for the experience of it and then boost alts. I barely remember doing the main story, so I'm going to be playing through with another character soon, but I'm doing that one already at 80 so I can take advantage of Berserker. First character is in a position where you won't miss things you haven't had yet.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

..btt posted:

Actually, the post implies that there is a hard ceiling to the effectiveness of CPU upgrades, and the screenshot shows ~8 cores being utilised, and none significantly more than 50%. A quad-core CPU with similar IPC would probably perform about the same.

Showing 100+ players on-screen while supporting all the cosmetics and flashy abilities is never going to be particularly straightforward - I can't think of a single game that does so without an enormous performance hit. I think GW2 handles it better than any other I have come across - crashes are rare, and you can tune things like the model limit to keep things playable. No idea why the new zones load so slowly though. Perhaps they just assume people have SSDs now so don't care about it taking longer.

I think SSDs and RAM probably do matter a bit. I've got i74700mq and 770m. I've never had GW2 on anything but SSD and I'm pretty sure most of my issues are 10 year old ram. Not to say that all the cool stuff on screen doesn't push my laptop around and I have things dialed to the bottom of the barrel. But like 60~GB for the game is pretty fair overall and not a stress on SSD.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yeah one of the reasons I've been holding off getting Secrets of the Obscure is cause I heard here that there are major performance issues with it and I was hoping there would be some updates to fix it eventually.

I haven't seen any difference in it vs normal stuff. might be just how low I have everything set.
I only really have a problem on loading screens and I think that's windows fighting with my hotspot.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Jedah posted:

New patch today, don't forget to uninstall Arcdps. I welcome the break from using it. This post probably sounds like nonsense if you've never used Arc before, so I apologize in advance.

With Arc installed, it's weird. It's like pulling back the curtain. The eye inevitably wanders over to the DPS meter, and before you know it, you're competing with others to earn top DPS. Then mistakes happen, your attention gets divided, and you prioritize doing big damage over being a great supportive teammate.

Mechanics can get ignored, someone who needed to be ressed from downstate doesn't get ressed because DPS players are smashing their rotation for big numbers. Support/utility spells aren't cast by DPS, because you're expecting the healers/supports to do it instead. Why would DPS do it? That's a DPS loss and breaks their rotation. It's like tunnel vision, since the DPS meter is like it's own little mini-game.

The first rule of Arcdps is "don't be a dick," and I understand why. It's easy to form judgements about people who don't do damage and have no idea what they're doing, especially when a veteran player can do significantly more damage (like triple the damage). This can create an "Us and them" scenario in groups, where some folks are there to blast and have a good time, and others are there to be tryhard players with something to prove. Maybe y'all know what I'm talking about, if you pug enough you'll encounter this.

I just wish there was an Anet created personal DPS meter and boon table. If they're worried about backlash, turn it off by default and have an "opt-in" button to share your stats with your group. I don't know. There must be a better solution.

For me, the big positive of Arc is the boon table feature. Being able to see uptime on boons like Alac/Quick/Protection/Might is a must-have, especially if you main support roles.

The gw2 end game revolves around boons, but there's no good in-game tool for monitor them on yourself or the group. The little boon icons that appear when a boon is active doesn't cut it. I want boon percentages, numbers, uptime, y'know, actual data - exactly what the Arc boon table provides. So we know it CAN be done, Anet just hasn't implemented it.

My Healbrand Quickness uptime went from floating around 50% to approx. 100% uptime, by practicing with Arc and shifting my build/gear around. That's an insane difference. Before Arc I had no easy way to monitor boon uptime, it's not like I'm a better player, I just lacked the tools.

This is a good take on things. I recently heard about arc and was wary, but now iffier. I'm not actually an rear end in a top hat, but I can fall into sorta paying attention to the wrong poo poo. I'd rather rez everyone I see fall then have a debate in my head over whether or not they are helping. I'm pretty bad even with like 1300 hours and I don't do content where maxing effort changes the outcome. At that point I think people do use arc to adjust to max their contributions in groups they run, and that's cool as gently caress to try to work together as best as possible for things you do together, but like as a random thing it's def not helping anyone. Anet making stuff easier to see would be great. it's a pain to mouse over boon/conditions to see what is on during a fight.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

I'm so close to getting a legendary greatsword, but now I have to do dungeons and get my scribe higher. luckily the next ones I do will come easier.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

I'm starting to get the hang of Berzerker. I played with some stuff while using arc and I can burst way better with greatsword than axe/*. I have been testing second sets and axe/pistol works pretty well for me. I figure if something survives my sword flying at it and me rushing them then mauling with it I can swap fast and just drop 6 shots into their face and if needed rush them again and drop 3-4 more. That's all without Berzerking. I've read that axe/axe is optimal, but I'm not hugely worried about maxing when it's not as fun. axe/torch seemed to just be for me to spam a close range attack and then put the area burn down before going back to greatsword.

I've pretty much only played Reaper and that mostly staff/greatsword, so I'm used to being mobbed for best effect. I'm not quite used to the idea of slapping a single target, but I now am atleast getting some things lined up for that and learned a decent way to fight groups more efficiently. Positioning sort of matters. I'm still not doing much burn damage and that was the reasoning to make the character. So, I'll keep at it until she's a bursty fire monster.

I've also learned some interesting things about my Reaper. I hit way harder than other characters, likely due to being more comfortable and maining gear to it, and the metrics line up pretty much with how I've taught myself to rotate skills. I tested some other patterns and they seemed to do less overall. Condition the poo poo outta the area/mobs and then swing a huge sword around until I'm standing by myself... when in doubt just shroud and spew damage around. I noticed that if a fight lasts more than a few attacks then bleeding just keeps building. hoard or solo. I world boss/metas and I'm doing about 1/3rd damage off bleeding with a few skills behind that and poison creeping it's way in higher over time. Thats the thing I was going for overall. I invest effort into the personality aspect of character building. So nesaM just kills by continuing to fight while my presence does most of the work.

It works nicely for most cases, but I have to constantly work on bosses to keep applying conditions and that's why I wanted to build something that actually works for single targets. I think my habit of wanting to throw myself at piles of mobs is standing in my way of actually building a Berzerker that is focused on bursting. So, maybe I should start using build templates for more than just checking which one lets me have the easiest time generally and should set up a boss build and a regular build? I've never really played games where I switch stuff to make it work best. I really do just throw fireballs at flame sprites until they gently caress back off to being nothing.

Thanks for all the tips, I've gotten way better since I've found the thread and have gotten awesome advice since being in an active guild. I'm almost to a legendary greatsword, have a handle on fractals now, don't see metas as work, and generally am enjoying the game more than ever from just being able to ask stuff that might be simple to others, but overall we work together to kick the game's rear end(hold on i'm being killed)(tabbed over and pressed 2 and poof, mob died. why isn't aura based things a thing? with people that can inflict damage based on being attacked it means some mobs would kill themselves by attacking) and that's basically society.

Lonk posted:

lol mesmers can be some real fuckers in WvW for sure. Obviously the portals and then you have stealthing, pulls, teleporting, the obvious clones... honestly a wonderfully frustrating class to face up against there and if you're decent at playing one, you are absolutely going to make someone rage at some point.

I made a mesmer asura just to be a jump puzzler. would it be worth kitting them to give WvW a shot even though I don't really play? WvW is a shite place to learn a new class, but I don't know if it's worth the effort just because I wanted a character that is easy to jump around with.

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 15, 2024

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

StrixNebulosa posted:

"wow this quest has been long and interesting, I wonder how it will end"

game: what if you now have to walk - no mounts - walk across this huge city area to talk to an npc

"game can we talk"

game: yes, and walk! :D

npc "this town is on fire and everyone is dying"

me "let's fix it"

npc talks for 2 minutes while people burn to death

me "just let me do it"

npc "try a raptor mount to jump around"

me "I'm going to go smoke"

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Actuarial Fables posted:

If nothing else, playing a class makes you better understand their strengths and limitations so that you know how to best go about engaging them.

Fair enough point. I'll do some stuff with them to get a feel and see if I can make flashy stuff work for me

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Lonk posted:

My advice with WvW is always try to keep it simplified in your head. All you really need is a method of ranged attacks usually, as long as you're running with a group/zerg that's typically what you need to do to tag/get loot/level up. People might yell at you for this or that but whatever, play however you want and with whatever is fun for you first and foremost. Of course it can be much more complex than this and this simplified look at things doesn't translate as well to say... solo roaming or small group stuff.

Realistically however, you're going to die. You're going to run into some massive bullshit at some point or get jumped by way too many people while alone and sometimes you're going to get frustrated about it or not being able to do specific things like capture something. Just comes with the territory, really. I'd also naturally suggest bringing whatever skills you enjoy, especially anything that's an AoE attack skill for those bigger fights.

I think I need to stop trying reaper and berserker in WvW. My normal style being diving into a fight just doesn't work. Maybe I'll see about getting my weaver for it because that's my main ranged playstyle. Good view on WvW. I don't mind a death, but it does feel like pushing against a wall when respawning to the same thing.

Tambaloneus posted:

I can say that I've had my rear end firmly stomped in wvw by every single class in the game, while playing every class so it probably matters more to just really know & gel with the class you're in so it might as well be one you like. Reaper has good survivability & can hit hard in shroud if that's any help i survive reasonably well there but if someone knows what they're doing they trash me pretty hard and effectively - which is awesome when I'm bait and they just wasted all their coolest poo poo on my dumb nooby rear end.

:lol: I do this as reaper a bunch. outside of a zerg I can tank for alil bit and anyone around can focus. I'll die, but the group can win and pick me up, or we lose and head back to base. I also do this in fractals because I pretty much do condition damage so once I lay them down I might as well pull everything and tank so everyone else can pile on damage.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Catching up and just had a few thoughts to add to things.

Meowywitch posted:

I would contend that the pve areas in Thorns are actually fairly difficult

AB and TD are where I stopped caring if I died. Then I started learning to do with being fully surrounded. Those maps took time getting used to and I still won't go as a character that I can't freestyle way way through fights and escapes.

Some of PoF gets rough with effects getting layered.

FishBowlRobot posted:

Think this is how I’m leaning. I’ll be a scrub with no mount but I’m okay with it for now since leveling has been so smooth and enjoyable.

Running around is a good way to get used to maps too. Getting to learn mobs and locations better than you would flying over or just zipping through. Take time and gather everything you can, even if you don't need the stuff it'll sell and you'll have some gold when you need. I got most of LW season 3 and 4 off of cashing gold out for gems and then you can grind season 3 maps for stuff to buy ascended things from the different maps. Pretty easy way to get gear really, just run around picking berries until you have enough for a breather.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm level 38 on my first character and having a lot of fun with the character story (despite the extremely awkward jump from the finale of dealing with my idiot cat father to now dragons are the enemy for some reason) and just exploring and doing the heart quests. It's a neat setting to explore, and I'm excited to see more.

I didn't know that anyone could enjoy the renown hearts... I skipped as many as I could and then had to grind them for days when I did map completion. My alts take the time to do them when they see them now.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, what IS Destiny's Edge and why should I care about them?

I like running around and talking to NPCs and just doing small little quests :shobon:

No hate, I just didn't like them and still don't. I learned to just do them along the way, for later use. I wasn't saying not to, just that if you have fun then it actually helps in the long run when you need map completion.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Jedah posted:

Another good one: hero point trains, a commander will lead a group of folks to tons of hero points across several zones, this speeds up unlocking each elite specialization. This is especially useful for Heart of Thorns, which can be tough to solo as a new person (the hero points are intended for multiple players).

I've done this in HoT for every alt I wanted a specialization. It's good to tp to the start of the train(if they rally for a bit before hand) and roll through maps getting waypoints along the way. Usually only needing raptor and gliding, but it sure helps having a flyer.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

I'm kinda out of the loop, or never been in, from things. but Leg runes are just like armor runes you can use multiple times?
Can you put them into every slot on a character? if so, does that just replace getting 6 of whatever or is there something more useful than just being able to gear characters without going to TP to buy a bunch of runes?
And basically the same for Leg relics?

I think a sigil would be nice, I want to put doom on everything. I don't because it doesn't make sense, but I'd still do it if I had a legendary doom sigil. I could see force being a pretty useful one to have in hand.

:dancebird:

Since I brought up sigils. Arcdps taught me that in extended fights my reaper does about a 3rd of my damage by bleeding. Even chaining attacks, popping shroud, and swapping weapons just work as a bunch of spread out, but bleeding just starts ramping from about 5 seconds and builds. poison will work it's way up much slower, but over time it's doing a 5-6th. I've got sigils of force and doom on staff and greatsword and I'm thinking of swapping doom for bursting.
My thought is that in short fights I don't swap enough for doom to inflict poison and it's a small uptick in damage that might save me a hit. In longer fights it should help ramp the damage of bleeding, primarily, and some for poison. Is that a reasonable swap?

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Actuarial Fables posted:

Maybe. Where are you using this build (open world pve, instanced pve, wvw, spvp...), what equipment stats do you use, and what's your build?

If you want, you can use http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/ to share out your build+equipment

I'm pretty much only in pve, mostly open world. I have a couple things to bring together, but this is what I currently have set.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSjAEZlJw2YYsLGJecXZNAA-DS5YLhewEE0TIQCBhUF0xZQgHhgUGRmCVUB+tkIgdAnMtBASA-e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

..btt posted:

This game loves alts. The things you start working on once you hit max level will almost all carry over to alts, and the game throws instant level books at you. I'd even say try to avoid having a "main" as it'll inevitably lead to disappointment when they make it unfun to play in a future patch.

I did main reaper, but berserker fits a different role of my dive in and smash things. Chrono is getting fun as I adapt. I just think ranged classes might not be very good for me, although i'm getting alil used to a mechanist build I play when my kid sits and runs half the keyboard. I'm assuming eventually I'll be comfortable with everything.

DoNotFeedTheBear posted:

Try an asura, they way the move, run, and jump (and even idle for some weapons) is very cool imo.

sideways jump dodges are amazing.