Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I forgot those achievements give a legendary trinket, I just did a good chunk of each for my skyscale so maybe I should keep pushing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA posted:

It took 20 hours of additional game play, once I had the skyscale, to earn the legendary amulet via the Seasons of the Dragons achievement.

The events and bounties are the ones I haven’t done yet so I imagine those will take a good chunk of time.

iGestalt posted:

Thanks for the class advice. I'm gonna play around with the suggestions and see if I enjoy all of them. At the very least i do enjoy Warrior, bland or not.

Real big fan of them letting you get a mount at Level 10, though. And finally getting to experience GW2 mount systems.

Warrior elite specs are cool. Berserker feels extremely visceral and fast paced, spellbreaker is kind of this cool more methodical spec with neat visuals.

How do you even pick which one to use when you have that many? Mounts are the main thing I’ll splurge on because you can’t unlock them in-game, but I still only have 8 total.

I just unlocked my skyscale two weeks ago and was so pumped to get to upgrade it with a sweet skin, so many choices. I chose starscale because I love space and moon and star cosmetic stuff, but it was a hard choice.

binge crotching posted:

I was so tempted to get that one, it was a hard choice. If they weren't :20bux: worth of gems I'd definitely buy a mount select license to get that one too.

It has a really cool trail that comes off of the wings that I didn’t know it had from the preview, so that’s something to consider maybe looking at YouTube or the wiki for people still deciding - some have rad effects you can’t see in the preview screen.

I had no idea there were exclusive haircuts and colors either, I remade my renegade last night and was loving all of the options.

Picked the Lyssa outfit from the free box and am immediately regretting it. So hard choosing with all of these free cosmetics!

tarbrush posted:

Where do I get this from? I got the t shirt from prime gaming.

It was a twitch loot thing that is over now.

It’s definitely on par with content:cost as other game dlcs would be, plus the return to living world achievements give you a lot of currency and stuff for those zones.

There’s a huge super long effort post in this very thread about how good celestial specter is for open world and other game modes, so I’d unlock that and read over it. It’s pretty fun.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Here is a list of "daily" stuff I've been doing to make a steady income of gold, skip any you lack the unlocks or patience for:

Meta timer zerg stuff:
At reset Tequatl > Leyline man in timberlane and gathering everything before it spawns > TD Teku Nuhoch waypoint for treasure mushroom right before Chak Gerant > AB Eastwatch waypoint for treasure mushroom right before AB meta > Grothmar valley for the ooze boss for a 2g key > Time for Dragonstorm right after ooze dies to end the run.
Another event chain to keep an eye out for is Karka queen (check for blooming flowers on the minimap for 25s each) > Verdant brink night bosses, can camp for the matriarch above the middle waypoint early with a skyscale > Pinata in crystal desert if instance isn't full, doomlore shrine is another event that takes a minute to do after showing up late and gets you 1g.

Then just keep an eye on lfg for dragonfall/dragonend which give 4g/15g in materials for the boss kill and dragonfall is very high gold/hour from all those chests and events.

None-meta timer stuff for daily gold:

Drizzlewood coast vendor to buy cheap keys and trade cheap materials towards mystic clovers and mats.
Home instance gathering and converting 25 quartz to charged quartz and Guild hall gathering and using converters to turn HoT materials and ascended mats into loot bags (hot converter is a lot of gold return usually)
Park alts you don't play regularly at valuable jumping puzzles chests (use teleports to friends if they are piling up) and loot them each day.
Dailies, Daily PvP and WvW can be quicker then most PvE dailies and more rewarding, if you don't like pvping much save the reward potions for "daily reward earner"
While waiting for Pinata, use griffon/skyscale to reach the rich quartz vein and then fly over to Sanctum of Nabkha to loot the chests there, afterwards head to Tomb of Primeval kings to grab the chests there.
While waiting for Drakkar, hit up the red > green > blue large/medium essence chests, with griffon/skyscale it takes a few minutes to open all of them and it's a lot of valuable materials.
Flax farms across HoT and S3 are pretty decent gold for the time it takes to reach them and harvest them.
There are 3 Grand/Magnificent chests in the Echovald eastern treetops that give 1-2 jade runestones each and only take a couple minutes to reach via skyscale/griffon I like to hit up.
Killing 10 krait a day for the sunken key is pretty good gold.

And here is probably the fastest gold in the list:
Check Seitung Province LFG for "Levi Farm" you can make around 20g/day from killing 10 leviathans that show up in seitung/kaineng, usually if you see someone in subgroup 2 there is one up right now, you can kill 2 per map instance before you need to either swap characters or do a event to reset your ambergris limit.
Fishing in general is really really high gold/hour if you are maxed out for it and check what baits you need, do a bit of fishing in the downtime during metas, get lucky and get 2g+ per legendary fish.
And be sure you rush the end of the Arborstone mastery track for Globalization so you can grab 5 summoning stones each week that are worth 6g each or doing weekly EoD strikes for the green shards to buy 10 mystic coins per week and lotsa liquid gold for all 4 strikes.

According to gw2effiency doing this has been a steady climb since I started playing again.

There is some good stuff in here I didn’t know about, thank you! I usually play for 2 hours most days a week from like 3-5 central time so the stuff off of event timers is nice to know about.

I can’t get into rev sadly. I don’t like how your utilities and weapon skills all use the same resource, it creates this annoying friction between the two. I also don’t love weapon swapping so the profession with “weapon swapping extra” as their mechanic just isn’t for me. They have rad animations though.

Having a hard time teasing out what’s all game modes vs pvp only, is double vindi dodge all modes?

Can someone give me a breakdown of how core engineer was envisioned to be played before elite specs, mechanics wise? It’s the only profession I’ve had a ton of trouble jiving with. I think it’s finally clicking with me that you only have a very small of weapon choices because kits are supposed to act as my weapon swaps, and because my utility slots are functioning as my weapon swaps, the tool belt becomes my true “utility skills”. Is that right?

Ok cool. I’m having fun leveling one up instead of boosting it and it’s helping things click a bit more than boosting did. I don’t love the limited weapon choices but some of the traits like aim assisted rocket are very cool. I feel like I’m playing trooper in swtor.

I made it a sylvari, add me to the weird race class combos. Too bad they didn’t make turrets race themed, it’d be sick to have seed turrets and stuff like that. I’d really like to see an offensive elixir focused spec but unfortunately it seems that went to necro.

I originally was thinking scrapper but the idea of a sylvari holosmith makes so much sense. A plant who doesn’t just use the sun to grow, but also to destroy enemies.

Ort fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 22, 2022

bagrada posted:

The difference in learning a new fight with a berserker caster (even reaper) and a celestial machinist is a bit night and day. In this case talking about the destroyer lieutenants in Draconis Mons that you fight on the calderas. There's some room for improvement as I learn their attack patterns and play a bit more safely with the reaper, but its the difference between "Oh poo poo it's looking at me... welp outright defeated before I can tap the dodge button" and "oh huh my health bar actually moved guess I better saunter out of this burning puke". The range helps.

I got my guardian's lunatic armor made so next up is my necro so I can flip to support scourge.

Those things seem impossible with a melee weapon.

You described a lot of core issues with elementalist, mainly that the entire thing revolving around dancing stances with cooldowns gives you less flexibility even though the idea maybe originated as a class with more flexibility. You’re at minimum 1 step farther removed from accessing any skill than any other profession, so even if you have a utility block or stability in Earth, it’s useless unless you’re camping Earth, which makes you useless at other things.

I’ve played a good amount of ele and think it can be fun but it honestly just needs a redesign from the ground up.

It’s pretty depressing to read the magic find page on the wiki and realize it barely affects anything.

Playing necro with post processing on is pure torture.

I just think of the collections as a list of things during my playtime that happen to have a cool reward. Open world games lack direction on what to do some times so it usually keeps me interested in the game for longer. Just don’t try to power through it all as fast as you can.

Quickness or alacrity need to be 100% or close uptime as a design feature or removed from the game. They change your play style and pace too much to be up 20-30% of the time, especially when it’s poorly communicated compared to something like heroism in WoW when it’s clear when and where to use it and when it’s up. GW2 boons are just too obtuse for them to be up partially.

Hammer is sweet. That’s all. These changes are awesome because I love weapons differently than the specs they are in pretty often.

Harbinger with scepter/staff would be the most witchey I can think of.

blatman posted:

I have a followup from my ranger question awhile ago - I eventually landed on condi druid in celestial gear and it appears to be invincible, now I don't have to wait around for other people to do champ bounty dailies

I tried this too and thought it was cool, druids are always my favorite in games. The CA animations are very cool, I wish the skills were more meaningful for dps instead of just triggering a couple bleeds. Also not a short bow fan but I might come back to it when they can use MH dagger and hammer.

More ranger talk, I came back after about 10 months and am so bummed they removed the cooldown reduction on disable for untamed. I know it made balancing the class hard but it made it the most fun and engaging solo spec in a long time. Now it just plays very slow and boring.

..btt posted:

Have you tried condi druid since the latest patch? It's currently benching ~42k:

https://snowcrows.com/builds/ranger/druid/condition-druid

Yeah that’s the build I tried, it feels like CA is mostly part of the rotation to get your buff up and apply a couple bleeds via the immobilize debuffs. My brain might just be broken and like to see strike damage on a skill when I use it. The damage is juicy though.

Actuarial Fables posted:

Not seeing the strike damage or hit sounds is pretty difficult for me to get used to for damage druid, and a lot of the slow building for the bleeds on the pulsing immobilize skills is just odd. It's cool that CA3 does an immob and enemeies just stop in their tracks, but without a bit of damage or a hit sound it just feels ineffectual. Maybe if the added bleeds-on-immob/cc also showed up in the tool tips so it didn't feel like you accidentally brought your wvw immob druid build to pve.

Condition Soulbeast feels a lot better just because I'm hitting stuff all the time (and that I don't like main-hand axe as a condition weapon).

This is something that bothers me a bit about specter, too. The skills do damage but everything is delayed. Nearly everything related to specter is push button, long animation, effect. Scepter 3, shroud skills, even wells to a lesser extent. They all have a delay that feels way longer than any other class so the whole rotation feels off to me and makes the buttons feel “less good” to push.

This story has a few ups but I have never been impressed with it and mostly feel like it’s a slog on the way to do other things. It’s the last part of the return to.. achievements I ever want to do, mostly because it’s unskippable dialogue in story chapters I’ve already done. I really wish they’d go back to those campy dialogue cutscenes just so I could skip hearing them again.

The rest of the game is super fun though and worth dealing with the mediocre story.

The world exploration part of the skyscale was the best part.

Yeah in no world is an automatic in-game dps meter a remotely good thing. Any reason you’d ever need it, you or someone else would have it installed already.

The reason dps meters don’t always cause toxic behavior is likely due to the population of people that choose to use them, which goes out the window if you made them default in-game for everyone. Saying they don’t produce toxic behavior is more of a straw man than saying they don’t.

Plus silver wastes just looks lovely. There are so many cool zones and that’s not one of them.

Horizontal progression is awesome and one of the best parts of this game. More games should have it. I also think less adherence to the trinity of classes is something cool about it and allows a lot of build creativity even when filling one of those roles. It’s not just “pick x class and y spec”.

Mr. Neutron posted:

Absolutely. The issue is you just can't design traditional raid style content around it.

I also hate raid content being the focus of every single MMO so that colors my opinion strongly

ComradeBigT posted:

It seems like it'll be a mixed bag of effectiveness, some stuff like necro pistol looks like it'll be decent regardless of spec, but other weapons that are more reliant on specific trait choices to be 'good' are likely going to be much worse. Engi sword for example gets a damage boost based on heat level on Holo which you'll presumably not get on any of the other specs. I think Thief rifle falls into a similar camp, on top of rifle not being all that good of a weapon other then for specific things anyway.

I was thinking that for warrior dagger too. It’s kind of propped up by sun and moon style in spellbreaker. There are only a handful of new combos that seem interesting like dagger Mesmer, hammer/dagger for ranger, gs for necro and gs/sb for rev. Elementalist makes out well, too.

I wish relics were collectibles with their own UI instead of inventory slots on each character. Make them harder to acquire or something but a drop-down menu to change at-will across your account would be so nice.

The old daily system sucked and the rewards sucked. The new one will be better once they add more options to get your 3, but it feels way better reward-wise. Never once in many years of playing did I ever say “oh cool” for any login or daily reward. The fact I can choose a skin or QoL upgrades is way more motivating. I’ve found the daily things more varied so far, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes posted:

Only time mage should get alacrity. Quickness should also be an extremely brief, rare buff-- the only good source of it is a time mage, or personal buffs.

I’d rather just get rid of them. Brief buffs that change the pace of your rotation are awful, especially in a game with a horrible UI.