Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Downloaded this over the weekend and am surprised at how much I’m enjoying leveling so far (~35 tree person necromancer).

I actually care about my story, which is a new experience for me in an MMO.

I assume the DLCs go on sale at times?
If I wanted to start with one, what should I consider?
Do the elite specializations really enhance the gameplay and are they necessary for endgame content?

FishBowlRobot fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Cool, thanks.

Maybe I’ll get the HoT/PoF combo first. Seems like a good bang for the buck, then I could get the others during the spring sale. Or maybe I’ll just casually level and explore until then and consider the whole bundle.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'd just play through with what you've got now. The expansions will still be there when you max out, and they almost certainly won't be more expensive than they are now.

Think this is how I’m leaning. I’ll be a scrub with no mount but I’m okay with it for now since leveling has been so smooth and enjoyable.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I did my first dungeon yesterday. Another person in the group was new as well, but we were all carried by an experienced max level guy who was nice enough to give brief notes about each area. I’m sure it would have been a different, slower experience otherwise.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I just finished the story as well. Felt lame to have to wait until max level to do it. “Congrats on hitting the cap, here’s some more single player stuff to do.”

Zhaitan looked cooler than I expected, though it was kind of anticlimactic to beat him by spamming 1 on the cannons. I imagine it was cooler back in the day, with a party. He also seemed disconnected from the story for the most part and doesn’t speak, that I remember, so it didn’t feel like a big deal to beat him.

What are the coolest things available to a F2P 80? Trying to get groups together for old dungeons? Exploring, slowly? I might get expansions later, but am in no rush for now.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

ghost story posted:

Right now - you should be buying and selling the 1g red envelopes if you like money. If you like gambling, open them up. The meta is really easy - easier than wintersday - and you can turn yourself into a dragon. Do that every day. You can buy the 1g ones every day and get 'bonus' ones doing events. You can also get some via the guild hall using guild comms - to get those, you need to do guild missions which happen every Saturday 30 minutes after reset.

Selling them to a vendor or on the trading post?

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

So I spent forever trying to find the Sorrow’s Embrace entrance, missed it and ended up doing the jump puzzle nearby.

Then I noticed a small entrance to a cavern and figured that might be the way. I quickly found the most hellacious thing I’ve experienced in the game so far.

I spent a half hour or so dying repeatedly and jumping from rock to rock up a cliff as icicles fell down, with little time to dodge. Not that I could usually, lest I slide down the cliff and take fall damage. Each hit took off more than a 1/3 of my health. Others were around and gave me a few revives, but it was all for naught.

Eventually they left or died and I was screwed, and after finding a YouTube video I realized the entrance wasn’t there at all. So what the hell is that in those caverns, and what purpose does it serve besides infuriating and dumbfounding me?

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Oh yeah, that’s it.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Are there any must have mods for GW2 or is everyone rawdoggin it?

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Anyone remember about how long it takes to get through Living World Season 1 & 2?

I just bought the HoT/PoF bundle and am itching to get all the goodies but didn’t have any clue what was going on when I saw the first cinematic in Silverwastes. I’m not obsessed with experiencing all the story but it’d be nice to have some context other than a recap.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Jedah posted:

HoT/PoF bundle is awesome, I hope you have a blast. There's so much good stuff in there, I can't say much more without spoilers, but you're in for a treat. Did you join the [GOON] guild on NA yet? We'd love to have you and could help with HoT, there's some content in there which is intended for groups/parties and quite difficult to solo (by design).

I got antsy and read some of the Wiki and a summary on LW S1 so I know a lot of what happens there already. Felt like getting to HoT, but turned around and am doing the Living World stuff for now. Maybe I’ll change my mind again at some point.

Yeah I got the invites to GOON and SFD, thanks. In as Direbadger(.5389) the Necro for now until I get alt-itis. Warlock was my main in WoW and it seemed like somewhat of an equivalent. Might get into Ranger next so I can have a pet and try healing. I liked healing as Druid and Priest in WoW but it looks like it could be quite different here.

I’ve soloed a few of the dungeons and battled Teq a couple times. Definitely want to get in on some of the other endgame PvE when I get more comfortable and try out the elite specs. Hoping it’s not too dependent on split second reactions to mechanics.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

There’s some things I’ve found frustrating while exploring Heart of Thorns for the first time, but it has been pretty drat cool to stumble across huge meta events with knowledgeable commanders running squads.

Tonight it was the long Dragon’s Stand chain. The markers, squad announcements, and instructions made the complex event simple enough that I could tag along and contribute at most stages. Attacking focus targets, gliding to deliver eggs, eventually finding meat to gather after experiencing exactly why the commander mentioned something about poison mastery or resistance.

They won’t all be like that I bet, but it was a good time and a great experience for something I had no preparation or expectations for.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Did a hero point train tonight and now I’m eager to play around with Scourge. It seems pretty versatile, and I’ve even seen some hybrid builds that aim for good damage and healing at the same time, which leads to questions.

What’s the best way to think/go about gearing as I experiment with different builds/roles for group PvE content?

Is it even possible to cover multiple roles within a single gearset or close to it, or do I need to build a set for each role eventually? I only have HoT/PoF at the moment, if I recall correctly that could limit some of my options.

I just want to gain a better understanding before I start focusing on getting more exotics and ascended gear, with the right stats and runes/sigils.

Edit: It’s my first character, so I don’t know a whole lot about anything yet.

FishBowlRobot fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 21, 2024

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

What’s the best way to max out Masteries? I assume events and other group PvE provide the most exp, but what about the points themselves?

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

MajorBonnet posted:

In the achievement section of the hero panel, you can filter the achievements to only ones that award mastery points. All of the mastery points are listed somewhere in there.

Generally, the map points are the easiest, playing the story usually gives out about one per chapter, and then there are a lot behind various activities, events, and collections.

Thanks!

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

whydirt posted:

Also, at this point they should cut the needed XP for Heart of Thorns mastery tracks by 50% or so.

I’m really not looking forward to grinding those out.

Gliding seems most important, do the others offer anything besides access to some additional areas and equipment vendors?

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Bleh. Living World is such a slog to me already and I just started the episode with the Tower of Nightmare.

It’s been nice to get more 20 slot bags at least.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I will trudge through dungeons if called upon. I’ve done story mode on all of them but only a couple random paths.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I hate literally everything about super adventure box

EDIT: I'm skipping this poo poo, it's the loving worst

Tried it for the first time today and, uh, I’m not a fan.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Think I’m also about to the point where I can just convert all my Astral Acclaim to that sweet, sweet gold.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Re: charged quartz - is that the only reason for getting the Krait Obelisk in your home instance?

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

MajorBonnet posted:

Pretty much. It's an easy, free hero point for any new characters as well.

Does it count as 1 point? Or 10 like the expansion hero challenges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

orcane posted:

only one

:lmao: