Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

mycot posted:

Some characters are clearly more useful than others and the further you are the more you'll start to notice the weaknesses of characters like Traveller, though for what it's worth I think Geo Traveller is considered the second most useful Traveller form?

Dendro Traveler and Geo Traveler are both circumstantially useful, and Geo Traveler in particular might actually be BiS in a couple of weird Geo teams. Maybe not any more now that Chiori exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Xun posted:

Lol your friend is an idiot. Tierlists have been garbage in general since the game came out and are also specifically aimed at the endgame dungeon which is beat stuff up in a tiny room with a time limit gameplay rather than more freeform open world exploration. If stuff is working for you in the open world then it works :shrug:

To be clear I don't think my friend was serious, just ribbing me, they don't play the game. In fact they helped me a lot for TCG because apparently their extensive Hearthstone experience is 100% transferable. :haw:

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024
I keep trying to find any angle in which I would want Arle, especially since I don't have Hu Tao, but I'm just not seeing it.

I have XL, I don't really need an on-field pyro DPS except for like the Mondstat talent domain, and in that case I have my half-built c6 Yanfei anyway (which I'm now trying to full build since lol new endgame mode want you to level All The Characters). This isn't like Star Rail is is pushing everyone to have one of each single-target/aoe of each element due to that combat system basically giving all the enemies elemental shields.

I have Neuv c1/Furina hypercarry, Nahida Hyperbloom, and Raiden Nation for the few situations those first two fail. There just doesn't seem to be a demand for on-field pyro carry at this point except novelty. Maybe Natlan will change something and suddenly see Hu Tao/Arle stocks shoot through the roof?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Maybe I should try building an overworld team with just my four favorite characters with no attention to elements/abilities/etc and loving around and seeing how that goes.

Edit:
Looking forward to a party made up of Arlecchino, Beidou, Kuki Shinobu, and Ganyu.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 29, 2024

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The reason you want them is because they do an absurd amount of damage op. Arle has a higher theoretical ceiling than Neuv, it's just Neuv is more comfy. If Mihoyo ever gives us a non circle impact attack buffer Arle's stocks go through the loving roof. If you don't enjoy how she plays though, there's no reason to have her. Kind of the state of every single main dps, even Neuv.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
You are sorta expected to use either Geo Traveler or Amber for exploring Liyue anyway. (I understand there are gameplay implications to something being defined as a "construct" but it is bullshit that Guoba doesn't count for the balance puzzles :argh:)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

Some characters are clearly more useful than others and the further you are the more you'll start to notice the weaknesses of characters like Traveller, though for what it's worth I think Geo Traveller is considered the second most useful Traveller form?

I've been slumming it with Anemo Traveller because I failed to get Kazuha on his banner and I'm full of regret. Why did Hoyo think knockback was going to be such a valuable property in early Genshin. Why is their burst specifically a forward moving tornado. Why are Sourcewater Droplets physics objects

if you dont have kazuha id recommend basically any anemo over traveler tbh. use lynette or smth.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

I mained lumine until AR 47 or so. She's perfectly fine. You build teams out of what you have, and don't fret too much over not having the more powerful character. I love Hu Tao, and she's definitely S tier for damage, but loads of people who splurged for her C1 and her weapon ended up never playing her because she has a very constrained "optimal" playstyle.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

librarerun posted:

I keep trying to find any angle in which I would want Arle, especially since I don't have Hu Tao, but I'm just not seeing it.

I have XL, I don't really need an on-field pyro DPS except for like the Mondstat talent domain, and in that case I have my half-built c6 Yanfei anyway (which I'm now trying to full build since lol new endgame mode want you to level All The Characters). This isn't like Star Rail is is pushing everyone to have one of each single-target/aoe of each element due to that combat system basically giving all the enemies elemental shields.

I have Neuv c1/Furina hypercarry, Nahida Hyperbloom, and Raiden Nation for the few situations those first two fail. There just doesn't seem to be a demand for on-field pyro carry at this point except novelty. Maybe Natlan will change something and suddenly see Hu Tao/Arle stocks shoot through the roof?

You don't really need to have more than 2 solid teams except for funky abyss floors or weirdo events. You may not "need" to ever roll anyone ever again if you're happy with your characters. Just roll for characters you think are cool or fun t o play as.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Pick 2-3 characters you want to look at a bunch and then build teams that fit those characters.

For me, that's a Beidou Taser team and a Shinobu Hyperbloom team.

I wish Dehya was fun to play. :negative:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Dehya is at her least cope with Arle. ...she's still not the best and you don't play her as the main carry but... she actually has a role?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Pick 2-3 characters you want to look at a bunch and then build teams that fit those characters.

For me, that's a Beidou Taser team and a Shinobu Hyperbloom team.

I wish Dehya was fun to play. :negative:

She is! At C6 :lol::lol::lol:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Raenir Salazar posted:

I guess I don't really figure what the calculation is for the tier lists but I assume especially being an open world action game the tier lists probably mainly for the min-maxer power gamers who want to know what the optimal characters are? But right now Traveler is like my best character most of the time with Eula being great when I can take advantage of cheesing enemies by freezing them.

Tier lists, in general, aren't great. Tier lists in Genshin specifically suck because it's a team-based game. Even if you made a tier list of specific teams it'd have a ton of caveats. That isn't to say that every character is equal - they very much aren't - but just picking whomever is on the top of the list isn't an automatic win.

The other side of this (and literally any good/bad character chatter) is that it only applies to Spiral Abyss, which is a very small amount of repeatable dungeon content. Since you'll eventually overpower everything else the discussion focuses mainly on the final floor of abyss. It's effectively The Endgame and drives the acquisition of characters/weapons/artifacts. You never have to engage with it at all unless you like diving into mechanics.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a tier list for genshin is viable but mostly in terms of 'who's worth pulling for' but even that list has to have the caveats of like, assuming you have no other 5*s and are looking to get into abyss. like if you dont care about abyss the 5* id recommend you pull for would be wanderer. likewise if you do care about abyss but you already have chiori and a c6 gorou, the 5* id recommend you go for would be itto.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The only 5 star I say "go for" is Yelan. Tons of damage, easy to build, fast movement power, works in a ton of teams, clear out a camp in one stroke. Absurdly powerful.

Kazuha has already been mentioned, and he's a fav in most discussions for the same reasons I listed above.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zhongli too. At least to me he made the game so much more fun, he's on every abyss team, he's incredible for the overworld too. I constantly wish I had a second shielder of his caliber and my defensive sustains would be complete.

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024
Baizhu I think is the only shielder who comes anywhere close to Zhongli, and his absurd team-healing is still doing most of the heavy lifting there.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

Zhongli too. At least to me he made the game so much more fun, he's on every abyss team, he's incredible for the overworld too. I constantly wish I had a second shielder of his caliber and my defensive sustains would be complete.

That's true. He's in a ton of my best teams, really easy to build, and you're not really temped by his constellations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Tier Lists for Genshin are fuckin stupid because different characters and teams play differently. Sure, I can look at every fuckin tier list out there but if I don't like the character or the playstyle, then nothing is going to change that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
If you don't care about how good a character is and aren't looking for advice that's fine but then it's just not for you :shrug:

People take it too far but it's not unexpected people give a lot of attention to how strong/weak characters are in a gacha game where acquiring and leveling characters is heavily gated with resources/time/money.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 29, 2024

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Eh I think concerns about playstyle really matter? Like I'll take two characters, one that's seen as strong and the other is weak, Hu Tao and Eula. Both are very technical in how you play them. Hu Tao has strict windows and tight timing for doing what she does, and you have to be on point to really play her. Stuff falls over, but if you don't enjoy that type of gameplay...she's not enjoyable. I've had c1r1 Hu Tao for a while and basically never touched her because I just wasn't having fun when I used her. Eula is on the opposite end of the power spectrum, but I thought I could enjoy her gameplay style, her animations are great and I like just hitting poo poo with a big sword, it's why I love Navia. However, Eula is similarly technical as Hu Tao, and when you do her burst if you gently caress up the exact combo needed to maximize it's power, you make an already weak character vastly weaker and it just feels awful. Both suffer from gamefeel considerations regardless of their power. (And while I had plenty of people warning me about Eula, because of Hu Tao's power I didn't have as many people warning about that for her. (I pulled Eula despite being warned and I also pulled Hu Tao because I love her character, so a warning wouldn't have worked there either.)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Navia is the 5* I'd recommend whaling for (when she comes back). She works with everything. My usual open world team is Dendro Traveler, Navia, and interchangeable electro and hydro characters.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 29, 2024

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

librarerun posted:

Baizhu I think is the only shielder who comes anywhere close to Zhongli, and his absurd team-healing is still doing most of the heavy lifting there.
Layla's shields are pretty beefy, but she doesn't really do anything else aside from some cryo application.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'd recommend rolling for literally anyone if you like how they play in the trial run. The only super recommended characters I'd suggest for new players are Nahida, Ningguang, Charlotte, Yanfei and Heizou or Sucrose so you can do puzzles easier than relying on the traveller for your anemo element coverage and the 10 second wait for their skill to recharge all the time.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
how can you even tell how something plays in the trial run, it's like they made them like 10x easier than they were this time last year and the whole thing is over in 10 seconds

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Just play who you think is cool, gently caress the tier lists. I only play with geo characters because I like dropping rocks on people and not having to worry about reactions. The only non-geo limited characters I have are Childe because I was pulling for Noelle dupes on his banner, and Raiden because I threw a gently caress-it 10 pull on her banner when she came out and then I stopped playing for two years. I am very excited to pull for Navia when she gets a re-run.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

librarerun posted:

Incoherence posted:

Layla's shields are pretty beefy, but she doesn't really do anything else aside from some cryo application.
This is what I love about Baizhu: He's nearly as comfy as a proper shielder, but being Dendro means he's actually doing something offensively. Super easy to use him on an overworld team to keep constantly topped off while also enabling Dendro reactions at the start of a fight. Yeah, his application is poo poo unless his Burst is going, but in the overworld you probably only need to apply Dendro once in order to set off a big Aggravate or Hyperbloom, and he's healing you, and the Burst is always in the back pocket if you need interrupt resistance or big healing. And the overworld's too easy for Zhongli's shield; you're invincible either way, so why be massively invincible? Things change in Abyss though, but in those circumstances Baizhu and Zhongli are usually going on separate teams.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
I used to suggest new players shoot for units with traversal utility because getting around is like 90% of the game, but now that everybody gets a free Lynette (pretty sure?), that covers a lot of the utility you'd get from Sayu for example. The equation is different now, you really can and should pull for whoever excites you, especially early game.

There's unfortunately still no good solution for having to switch parties to get the right elements to solve a puzzle. If we ever get that it'll be a massive improvement. Just add an area-limited 'pinch hitter' button Hoyo, you can use the trial character shortcut!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Tampa Bae posted:

how can you even tell how something plays in the trial run, it's like they made them like 10x easier than they were this time last year and the whole thing is over in 10 seconds

The trial runs have always been trivial. You get tons of energy so you can see all the flashy animations and everything is weak so it looks impressive. You can kind of get a better feel for characters during the events where they give you a loaner, but those are also generally trivial enough to make it not matter.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Decided I would probably regret if I didn't roll for goth lady while she was around. I'm still on hiatus but when I start playing again, I'll regret not having her.

Took 4 hours to download updates and patch.

Turns out I'd been stockpiling wishes before I went on hiatus. Enough to do 30 pulls

Not picture: pulls 11-20. Reward: Stringless x 1

Hell yeah.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Doing the web event, what exactly does it want from me here?

I'm playing the game right at this very moment and that second thing was "done" before I even did commissions today.

E: Nevermind, it has small print that explains that it won't work on the first day of the event.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 29, 2024

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Stare-Out posted:

Doing the web event, what exactly does it want from me here?

I'm playing the game right at this very moment and that second thing was "done" before I even did commissions today.

Timezones, the Login ones only start working from daily server day rollover

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ssmagus posted:

Timezones, the Login ones only start working from daily server day rollover

Yeah, just read the small print. :doh:

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
120 primos for logging in three days isn't the worst but its still funny the reward for logging in every day on the calendar thing for a month is like, a third of a roll and a day's resin on books.

There's also a discord event going on where if you stream for 15 minutes you get 30 primos *but* someone has to watch you all 15 minutes, you can't just stream to nobody and the timer stops when they leave the stream

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Week one of beta done, time sure does fly.

Clorinde: Got a little buff in her raw MVs and special talent multipliers (the one that makes you do an electro reaction with each party member). Her self-healing was decreased a bit but only a little. Right now she's just plainly pretty good. Uh, not much to say. A solid captain in both overload and aggravate teams, which can be run in both main+sub dps and hypercarry configurations. Not extraordinary.

Sigewinne: The slug is a dubious creature. We now know that she has standard ICD and random targeting in her bubble bounces. As a result she has somewhat Yaoyao-ish application, which is pretty unimpressive in single target but becomes a tad better in 2/3 target situations. So where is this useful? The only places I can think of are:

Burning when focused on a cryo dps melt
Quickbloom when focused on a dendro dps spread, but you still want hyperbloom
Forward vape when focused on a different hydro dps vape

But these are dubious teams. In melt, why even run a hydro healer in the first place? In quickbloom you'd rather use a dendro healer. And in burnvape, are you running... Alhaitham/Thoma/Furina/Sigewinne? Klee/Nahida/Furina/Sigewinne? Neuvillette/Nahida/Dehya/Sigewinne? These are, certainly teams that you can use, in genshin impact.

So in the end we land in a situation where Sigewinne is essentially the same as some of those old mediocre healers that got uplifted by Furina. Her interaction with the elements system is not useful, and so we need to look at raw mechanics. In this area she is, adequate. She enables hydro resonance, has good uptime on ToM, doesn't need too many stats. Her quills can be used pretty quickly by Furina's gank squad. She can trigger Fav with her burst or a headshot and can hit weakpoints on drakes and stuff. All very ho hum

Is everyone familiar with the Zhongli/Chiori core? If you don't have any strict team requirements and don't need to interact with the elements system you can just run 2 chars + Zhong/Chiori and get decent team damage + good sustain + mild buffs. Furina/Sigewinne is the same pretty much. You get more buffs and real healing, but you lose interruption resistance. In a broader teambuilding sense, Sigewinne is the Chiori here. Both can surgically attach themselves to a widely usable Archon in order to be featured in a very broad range of kinda ok teams. But unlike Chiori, there doesn't seem to be a team where Sigewinne can shine all on her own, like the mono geo team for Chiori. The situation is a bit sad :(

Maybe in Natlan Pyro Archon/Nahida/Sigewinne will be a strong burn core :v:

Sethos: Pretty good 4 star dps. Electro Gaming.

Event bow: Someone please help me, how do you say "mogged by slingshot" like a normal person, my braincells have completely degenerated. But aside from that I'm probably gonna put this on my Venti since I don't have a spare stringless/elegy and this is the highest EM bow even with one stack. Astoundly mediocre.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Oh wait I just remembered

"Pwned by Slingshot"

Edit: Actually, I missed something. In this first week of artifact grinding in the new domain I got 0 decent pieces. But! If I get Clorinde I will have retroactively gotten 1 decent piece. This is the biggest value Clorinde brings to an account :)

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 29, 2024

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
"Join the Genshin discord!" But I'm at the max number of discords! :saddowns:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MoonCrab posted:

Sethos: Pretty good 4 star dps. Electro Gaming.

He's like Gaming in that plunging is part of his kit? Or just a lot of nuke damage?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I keep getting Sethos and Sebastos mixed up and being like 'Wow, they're introducing a character through a side quest and making them playable that quickly? That's nuts'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

He's like Gaming in that plunging is part of his kit? Or just a lot of nuke damage?

No plunges. He's like Gaming in that he's a 4 star dps that's pretty decent if you stay within the realm of C0 five stars with four star weapons. He's kinda like Razor if you switched physical stuff in his kit for EM stuff.