Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The key to how good he is is: how much damage?

I'd expand this to be "How much damage, and also what supports?" as that's generally what I ask if you want me to open my gem stash for a new carry. If you consume XQ you better be able to hit harder than Hu. If you take ZL you need to be able to hit harder than Hu and Xiao. If you hit hard and your ideal team is Lisa/Aloy/Qiqi for some reason then suddenly you're a lot more valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I was wondering while exploring Sumeru - is Venti maybe more useful again? Seems like there's a higher proportion of smaller enemies that I can suck up with Jean (which I assume probably means Venti could also suck them up with his burst). I remember many/most enemies seemed immune to it in Inazuma.

Venti took his big hit when it was decided floor 12 (and then 11) was increasingly just going to be a boss rush. He only stopped being useful in the overworld on Inazuma release when every enemy was immune to the succ. I've been rolling around with Diluc/flex/Venti/ZL as my usual overworld team and he hoovers everything just fine. Also the vertical boost is nice since it's entirely mountains+canyons for maximum time waste.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

SiKboy posted:

Sweet baby jesus this sabzeruz quest just doesnt loving end. Like I'm glad I didnt have any other plans this evening because this has been a long shift.

I found out last night that the best part is if you try to go do something else, like say your daily resin/commissions, it resets.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

The next step of the teapot adventure guide thing wants me to buy something from the Travelling Salesman in another player's teapot. Is there some way to do that by ducking into any old rando's world, or will I have to faff around adding people to my friends list and waiting for the Salesman to show up in one of them?

You'd have to duck into some randos teapot specifically, or just hop on Discord and get some goon to friend you because most of us leave our teapots open. Then you just wait until Sunday and hop in to buy something.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Tae posted:

Zhongli might've lost favor pre-buff as far as utility, now he's a no-brainer based on him giving elemental shred and atk boost via his BiS artifacts

The part where his shield went from 250% geo resist to 150% rainbow resist gets overlooked waaaaay too often when people talk about him pre-buff.

RareAcumen posted:

Okay, just give me all the spoilers, the Archon quest unlocks the bounties and requests and the end of the Sabsereuz Festival is like 2 hours of cutscenes right?

Nothing to spoil, really. Yes the Subaru Festiva is long and dumb and just a cutscene you have to mash through. Do not attempt to go do something else - you gotta finish it in one go. After that you unlock the bounty/request guy but you don't get bounties/requests until you rank up to level 2. This requires a good amount of exploration and quests so it's not instant.

I've done everything I've found barring the Aranyka sidequest, which I hear is like ten hours of hell, and I'm not level 2 yet. Will probably see 3.1 before I unlock bounties. :/

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I just want that unlocked first so that's good to know. I guess I'll just assume that it's the Aranyka sidequest that unlocks the rest of the map then. There's a spot near the Jadebloom boss and a small patch of the desert that Paimon just steers you away from that should be part of this patch.

Yeah it unlocks extra mandatory stuff just by virtue of doing it. I have no idea how far along I am but it's long, it's got plenty of you-will-sit-and-read-paimon-recaps action and it's a good candidate for mashing through while watching Netflix. Not quite Inazuma bad but it ain't great.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Tanreall posted:

The cryo hypo is an easy boss, the thundering manifestation was on floor 11 making it's dps check pretty low, and the other side of the ruin serpent chamber was incredibly short to where it's reasonable that you'd have two and half minutes to deal with the ruin serpent.

Cryo hypo is easy if you have built pyro. TM is... I dunno maybe if you have Yanfei/Yoimiya built? Otherwise it responds to damage windows by immediately becoming effectively invulnerable (either by height or teleporting) and its HP doesn't matter. All that matters are windows to damage it, same as worm and array. Those are the three bosses I just cash out on.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"Driver" or i guess "carry" makes a lot more sense for the role you're describing since "main dps" implies that they are the main source of damage-per-second.

I have no idea where the "support" and "carry" terms come from, since this was the first game I've played where they get used, but it was immediately obvious what they meant and I have no idea why people want to drag "dps" into it. Quickswap is just a team without a carry. You can further divide it into hypercarries but that's only useful for prioritizing upgrades very early on and then becomes meaningless. Injecting MMO terminology just makes everything weird.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

x1o posted:

Me every time this thread starts talking about team comps and other combat related things

Just trying to make as many reactions as possible happen as fast as possible is going to smash the bulk of the game. Yeah, once you're in abyss 12 you probably want to have some gameplan but I cruised through the AR1-40 just trying to see what pushed out the most numbers. Reactions are the only thing that makes the combat interesting so not using them was never in the cards.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

ReverendHammer posted:

Man, whoever it was in here that mentioned that the Aranyaka questline was long AF was NOT kidding.

Someone in here said 10 hours and man was that a low estimate. It just never ends. It's not even inazuma bad with the dialogue bloated to all hell. There's legitimately just that much poo poo to do and everything has to fork into three. It's mandatory for exploration reasons, too, which is extra weird.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Like grandpappy always said: if it ain't double crit it's poo poo

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Kale posted:

I'm still only really getting like 16K or so damage off of her fully double charged attack that takes a ton of time to charge up, aim and fire.

That's very low. Ideally you'd be using cryo resonance and freeze which allows you to drop her CR to crank her CD. Since you're running at or drat near 100% CR with that setup and over 200% CD she hits like a truck even without a 5*. Against anything that can be hoovered, her Q plus Venti's Q clears the room. For single target she's not going to beat straight Hu Tao vape, but melt Ganyu (with a gear swap) is very much still a thing for 12 bosses where freeze isn't applicable.

..unless you're talking about open world, where everyone is fine and the real standouts are "being a tall guy", "reduces stamina usage", and "has claymore". Diluc is an amazing open world character.

Harrow posted:

On the other hand, I'm not too sure what I'd do with Kokomi. She strikes me as a character who's great on a lot of teams where I could also just use Xingqiu, I guess, though having her healing is probably also really nice. And if I had to pick a hydro character I don't already have to roll for, that would be Yelan (though her rerun is probably a long time from now).

I've had Kokomi locked into every group since her release, though ironically not for the weird rear end turbocorrosion abyss they released to sell her, and she's both an amazing freeze hydro applier and a prime holder of the clam set. I don't know how hyperbloom teams work, because I'm not grinding up traveler to try it out, but if slow and steady aoe hydro is what you want it's either Kokomi or Mona and Koko also ticks your healer slot. If you want fast and hard hydro to replace/augment XQ, then Yelan is your gal.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

My only gripe with Kokomi is that I have trouble coordinating things such that I use her burst to maintain uptime on her skill.

Doing this consistently to keep 100% uptime on her E is something you'd have to build for and build the group around so I mostly don't bother. Once you figure in swap lag and the animation you're saving like 4-5s of downtime. I only pop Koko's Q on big enemies who are locked down already by Ganyu's Q because Venti is meaningless there and keeping them frozen to eat the full Ayaka Q is super important. Even then it's not really timed - I just need them to stand still for an extra five seconds or so.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I've actually found it better to use the skill after a burst if you're going in a strong rotation. After fully healing your team and pounding the enemy, lay down the jelly fish to apply hydro and keep healing on field. It also generates energy for her.

Disclaimer here is that I only use Koko in freeze. There's probably room for her Q in taser or hyperbloom or whatever - I have zero idea. I was specifically talking about the rotation in a Ganyu/Ayaka/Venti/Kokomi team. She doesn't get field time there.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

padijun posted:

People claim this is better than Inazuma but I don't see it at all.

Inazuma was all that bullshit plus hearing the same thing repeated over and over interspersed with anecdotes that go nowhere. Like I'm not saying Inazuma writing was the only problem Genshin's dialogue has, but it layered a slog on top of a slog. The Arany Anara Arayna NotKoroks quest was stupid long thanks to endless walking around and exponential use of The Rule of Three, but the text at least generally got to the point and you spent most of your time doing stuff instead of being locked inside the slowest book.

Eimi posted:

Like sure there's the exploration stuff but if you don't like the games characters when the game is very much about hanging out with those characters, the hell do you get out of it?

I like the exploration stuff and the teambuilding/combat stuff and the puzzle stuff and generally the Zelda-ish stuff. Storyline quality (both central plot and sidequests) varies but I'd say it trends towards being entertaining. That doesn't mean that I want to pause two seconds on every line for an animation to play or make completely meaningless afk check choices or read the tragic backstory of some NPC that goes absolutely nowhere and is instantly forgotten. Slowly following an NPC for ten feet is pretty much universally hated in videogames. It's perfectly possible, in all media, to like the story but hate the way it's told.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

silvergoose posted:

There ought to be a larger gap between "I don't like light visual novel gameplay" and "all of the light visual novel gameplay is terrible" in this thread, in my opinion.

No one (well, not in this thread) is railing against the existence of VN stuff. It's the existence of badly done VN stuff. That's the disconnect that leads to this conversation every other week. If every chapter in a book was just repeating the previous chapter I'd dump the book. If I legally had to stop and sit there motionless for two seconds after every sentence in a book I'd burn that book and never read again. Even the most intriguing story turns into poo poo when you tell it poorly.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

AG3 posted:

Sumeru is pretty great. The four-leaf sigil things that have you playing Spiderman felt kinda gimicky at first, but it did let them construct Sumeru with a ton of verticality without making traversal incredibly painful. I still think there's way too many of them in some places, but it certainly saves a lot of time.

I like the idea behind it as it shortcuts a lot of travel time that would just be floating into a valley then slowly climbing up again. The camera pointing requirement just needs to be a little bit more lenient and the ambiguity removed from L1+Square/R1 (why was this ever a thing?) to have it feel good. It's fine as long as I stop and visually prepare a route and remember the button scheme but if I just tried to do it naturally I'm always looking in the wrong direction or delay slightly too long and then lose my next grapple.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

AG3 posted:

(maybe with the exception of Abyss, but I never go there so).

That's the whole "is X good?" discussion. Abyss (and abyss-like events they used to run) is where you go to push damage.

Venti was king of the hill at a time when the entire abyss was subject to his vacuum. Modern abyss 12 usually features 1-2 fights where he's still good, but it's stacked pretty heavily with enemies immune or highly resistant to his vacuum (or spawning in frequent, small waves) and that invalidates his whole schtick. Changing the endgame around one character is a good indicator of where he was at.

Kazuha provides more damage and isn't totally reliant on vacuum, so yeah he's replaced Venti as the premiere VV provider.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

is it possible to get this running easily on the steam deck? No windows or anything?

Is it possible? Yes it is. It involves (just like running it under Lutris) using a custom launcher, which means you're modifying the game, which means you might cop a ban for it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

While you normies are running around with Shenhe and Tighnari I'm using bad characters like Ganyu and Venti and still shredding abyss. :smug:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Elentor posted:

Just so I'm clear here, I'm looking at Ganyu's coefficients and her charged arrow is just... a lot better than Amber's, and it splashes even if you miss?

The splash is on impact, so depending on whether or not your shot him the ground or sailed over it may/may not catch in the aoe. You want headshots for Prototype Crescent (her big 4*) so when you miss you tend to miss big. It's not like this game is a twitch shooter but mobile is mobile and the accepted theory is that she's overtuned specifically because of mobile.

Dumb internet jokes aside she's really good, and good in a way that's kind of hard to nerf without outright nerfing freeze. She lags behind others on single target but there's always floors where you need multiple things dead fast and she's the queen of that. Being able to rocketsnipe stragglers from across the arena is just a bonus.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Cyno kind of perplexes me. Like on the one hand he's a straight up NA carry, like a fixed version of Xiao, and that seems like it'd be a strength with aggravate. On the other hand I feel like we won't know if he's strong or not until Nahida drops and welp. Also he has no nipples.

Harrow posted:

You can only really work with the information you have about the game state as it currently exists when you're evaluating a character, after all.

Shhh. You're breaking the magic of being able to say "remember when stupid people said stupid things because they stupidly didn't account for future unknown circumstances?"

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I generally don't pay attention to the plot, but (spoilers for new players who haven't gone through Mondstadt/Liyue) what ever happened to Gnosisquest 2020? Like that was very much a thing that seems to have been dropped entirely because Ei doesn't have a gnosis for reasons and Sig got vaporized. Maybe they decided lightning girl was, for once, an actual archon you shouldn't gently caress with but I don't remember it even coming up.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Clarste posted:

*learning me some stuff*

Thanks. I'm waaaay behind on my 3.x content and had to turboskip through a mountain of the late 2.x content in order to do events, so that was all a mystery.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

When boss difficulty is entirely decided by invulnerability phases you know you've made it in the game of Bad Design Decisions.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Maybe I need to use an EM hat or something

I'm sitting at a little over 780 with sacfrags using a dendro cup, but all my rolls could be waaaaay better. I've also kept a couple of EM goblet options open, since it may wind up that dendro% doesn't beat out stacking EM to 1k.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

What’s the best cyno team? Assume Nahida is in the mix

I would assume Cyno/Fish/Nahida/Koko would slap, but I really have no experience with Cyno. I'll probably be running the team with Raiden instead.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Threw everything I had at the Dendro domain for the last couple of months or so. Best I can do, once she's leveled, for Nahida is 923 EM. That's EM hat/sands, Dendro cup, Sac frags, 4-pc dendro bonus. I'd need some ultra disgusting rolls to pull off 1k, and I suspect that'd also tank my ER pretty hard. Calling it a day.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Nyoro posted:

Wait the hangouts aren't VN dating friend chillin type things?

That blows

Hangouts are a VN where you have to rewind and go through every possible choice and also there's some hidden things you have to wiki. Also the bulk of them are Inazuma-era writing on top of that.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Redmark posted:

The meme is "just dodge" but to be honest I've never seen a video of this game where there's somebody doing impressive dodges to beat something hard.

You won't because the hard stuff isn't hard because it damages you. It's hard because it's a time trial for your damage to enemies. Your damage that you dropped by "just dodging" instead of shielding/ulting through stuff to keep up the dps.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The weirdest thing about Cubefest 2022 is every sixth run or so I get this weird situation where he heals really fast. Like the bar is going up as usual but that particular cube is not having it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Clarste posted:

I don't know why they are obsessed with making reactions that hurt you, to be honest. Like electro-shock in puddles and they even introduced self-Blood damage recently too. Why? Does this make the game funner somehow?

It's pretty much the same in every game.

Devs: "So it's an interesting decision to weigh. Do you take the (big) damage in order to deal (much smaller) damage to enemies? It's very engaging!"
Entire playerbase: "lol no"
Entire playerbase later: "Yo check out this new interaction that makes that self-damage actually useful in some way!"
Devs: <instant nerf>

Asimo posted:

Yeah I was pondering asking for advice since I have no loving idea how it's supposed to go. About the only thing I knew was to blast it with the doohicky before it does the instakill, the rest was just facerolling with a good team. It's a fun spectacle but I don't think it's really well designed, sadly.

I'm not playing on a phone where the controls are half the screen, so I'm usually focused on dodging attacks instead of seeing some extra button light up. In story mode Hu deleted phase one in a few seconds, then ran around for a while until phase 3 happened, then ran around a little while until I won because of the autoaim option pig thing. In the weekly version I just brute forced it with ZL/Ganyu/friendship/friendship and ate the deaths. The time for me to care about mechanics is not after blowing nearly eight loving hours mostly fast-forwarding through multiple quest chains.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Mix. posted:

man im really torn between continuing to try for nahida to use my guaranteed 50/50 or saving for wanderer (at which point we might have more alhaitham details so i might end up skipping and saving for him instead)

With reruns being a thing and the move to 3-4 banners per patch, it's not worth stressing either way. By the time you've got gear from the new set (because it's always a new set) for The Mouche it'll be nearly time for a rerun anyway. :v:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Nahida is so, so good. Like I'd expect them to introduce some new mechanic that screws with aoe damage at this point. My biggest problem right now is not owning Kuki and therefore having to consume Raiden to keep reactions up. As long as I have my hydro/electro dealers running everything within camera distance just dies. Sure, Ganyu can hit for more damage, but she can't hit the entire room.

Sanctum posted:

But whose EM counts for which number? Whose crit counts when that happens?

Transformative reactions don't crit and whomever triggers (so, hits last) counts.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

Why would you intentionally impose this kind of limitation on the player when MMOs 20 years old don't have the same problem?

Because ~immersion~. The NPCs are positioned where they're supposed to be for X quest and it would totally break the immersion if they were standing somewhere else. How valuable this is to you is a personal exercise.

gandlethorpe posted:

Yeah, this is unquestionably one of the most supremely obnoxious things in the game. I just did ~5 hours of the Archon quest having put off the desert chapters and missed out on the new weekly fight by about 10 minutes. Would've had plenty of time to spare without the ~30 minute interruptions pushing along Nilou and Tighnari's quests. It does a disservice to the quests too, since now they're a nuisance rather than their own thing to be experienced.

This has bitten me multiple times and I keep thinking it's just a one-off and surely they're not going to keep doing it but welp. Basically character quests will stay forever locked unless I am 100% sure that I am going to sit down right now and play through the entire thing in one sitting so it doesn't make me grind through them when a character releases. So... never. I did push through and get the weekly loot, but I also skipped the latter half of the archon quest and Nilou/Tigh's quests to do it.

Edit because I can't shut up about Nahida: I didn't take it to 12, since I feel like sending a 80/80 with 1/6/2 talents to floor 12 as a damage dealer was, but I took 9 and 10 with Raiden/Fish/Nahida/XQ and 11 with Raiden/Fish/Nahida/Koko. She absolutely shreds, and more importantly shreds halfway across the map. All these floors built around enemies playing keepaway just melted. Started lagging in damage towards the end of 11 as the levels/resists went up but still made an excellent first showing. Swapped to the best straight damage gear I had which put me at 371 EM/69 CC/181 CD... which winds up being 80 CC and 218 CD for the attack that really matters.

Nahida's critical weakness wound up being her burst. She's such a low HP target and if an enemy has a charge-then-jump-across-the-arena attack (so... every eremite/samurai/mushroom/mitachurl and fire fatui) they can and absolutely will stagger timing on them during your burst so you eat it when it ends. Every fight with samurai/eremites I came out of a burst with 2-3 of them in my face. The multi-hit eremites are the worst as they don't even have to time it.

It's probably solvable, in a general sense, with better positioning for the burst, but that was my initial run experience.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 7, 2022

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Is Shinobu better than Fischl for some reason? I'm using Fischl, and with Kokomi as healer.

I want to avoid having Shinobu as a healer, because I find that it's kind of a pain; Shinobu herself gradually gets hurt from casting her heal, and she has to stay on field to heal from that damage. It's a bit more maintenance that I'd prefer for a healer.

The issue is more abyss teams than any specific character. If I use Koko, I can't run my Ganyu team. If I use Raiden, I can't run Rational. You really need a healer, though, so I could run Nahida/Kuki/Yelan/Fischl and lose nothing in use by other teams. Without Kuki my second team is limited to either Xiao Double Geo or Hu Tao Double Geo, and while the latter is fine for B-side current abyss 12 it's pretty limiting in general. Fischl is just there to be double electro (tri-karma cooldown reduction) and because she's an outstanding off-field character on top of that.

This could, of course, all be invalidated by some new electro healer or hydro healer or Baizhu being a dendro healer with some bonkers ability or whatever.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Tree Reformat posted:

The gag there is that was due to his burst, which the event cheated and made infinite and also basically nullified the health drain. I can't imagine Xiao-havers ever use it that way outside of combat in the regular game.

They did this in his quest, too. I think they also gave him C1. The actual way you use him is Albedo flower, ZL shield, Xiao EEQ, normal attack into jump cancel into plunge at the perfect height to activate high plunge damage over and over, Jean E + Q, repeat. Hopefully you've killed enough at this point to refill your burst or you lose a rotation and reset. If you buy your way into C6 he just shits out damage to the point of clearing abyss stages in one burst.

Zenostein posted:

It is nice that they have other characters, but it also really highlights how poo poo this would be as a mario party. Imagine trying to do the baseball with someone who doesn't have a decent aoe swing.

Yeah it might not work as Mario Party but, and hear me out on this... Genshin Warioware

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Sanctum posted:

Good to know. I saved up enough to guarantee Nahida's c1 but her c1 looks like trash. c2 anything is far too rich for my blood.

Her C1 is pretty reasonable, but if you're not going for C2 just save your gems/cash.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Hellioning posted:

Makes more sense than people actually liking Scaramouche.

Valve built an empire on peoples' thirst for hats.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Nyaawn posted:

The only five star catalyst I have, sadly, is the lost prayer to sacred wind

This is what I use for Nahida and (with damage-focused gear) it works well. I'm sitting at 69/181 with 400 EM (so it turns into 75/201) and hit hard enough for abyss 12, though I expect to hit even harder when I've decked out Raiden in EM instead of her normal Emblem set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Childe is mostly setting up a support Raiden/Xiangling/Fischl/Nahida and then swapping to to him to beat the ever loving bejezus out of whatever as quickly as possible. Then when they die or the boss hits an invul phase, you swap out to his stupidly long cool down and then go jogging for a bit or some crap while you wait for his cooldown to end and you remember this is why he's not meta.

I think the comment was more "designers envisioned you swapping around to apply Riptide with shots" instead of the way he wound up getting used because swapping around for aimed shots is silly. He's not awful but regardless of what you want there's one or more characters that does it better. More of a Diluc situation than a Keqing one.