Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kale posted:

Also I love that with Collei they've got this whole sickly girl story with her built up since the manga and all the poo poo that's happened to her since of the kind that tends to really resonate with the anime otaku crowd, made her super cutesy and quirky albeit troubled in her character interactions such that it hits all the right notes and then just made her the entry level 4 star for the region and are just giving a C0 of her away with the event. Another notch in how this game is strangely unoptimized for potential revenue despite how much it still pulls in anyway. The biggest one to me though is still the general lack of costumes. Like somebody suggested once, throw Zhongli in a tux, or something or IMO have a Raiden Shogun summer theme costume, but either they don't want to take that path with the game or want to hold on to cards like that for a potential future event.
In that scene where Ayaka offers to have some clothes made for you, there was a fraction of a second where I thought they might actually give me an alternate outfit for the Traveller. FF14 has set my expectations too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I've had some freakishly good luck with my blue wishes over the past few days, including my very first 5-star character and weapon: Qiqi and a Skyward Atlas. A Cryo healer turns out to be a great addition to my team, so I've already started developing Qiqi, but I don't really know what to do with the Atlas. The only catalyst-liker I've been using is Barbara, who it doesn't seem suited for. Apart from her, I have Lisa, Sucrose and Heizou. Are any of them worth taking a second look at now?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Heizou can certainly be built as a damage-focused punchman. You could also build up Lisa, she's not really as good but she has some new life comboing together with dendro chars for quicken reactions.
I am interested in Heizou. I've been using the Anemo Traveller as my main attacker, and it seems like he could pretty easily slot in for her against bosses and anything else her Burst is useless against? If I'm not wildly mistaken? I only got him very recently and haven't had much of a chance to try him out yet.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

if you want to use an anemo character as your main dps heizou will wildly outshine anemo traveler, even against things her burst works on. the only thing hed have issue is is with anything anemo immune but thats basically just anemo slimes and spectres

the basic idea for main dps heizou is pair him with a bunch of hydro and electro characters that work off field and then hell just swirl everything they do and theyll handle the aoe with how the electricity bounces when they do electro-charged. build him for elemental mastery and he'll do good damage on that kind of team. skyward atlas is also probably his best in slot weapon, so thats a great pull.
I'm not married to the idea of using an Anemo DPS. I was mainly using the Traveller out of convenience, since her constellations are free, and she doesn't need any boss drops to ascend, and all that.

I'll definitely level Heizou up and have a play around, but I'm not sure I have the support to build a full team around him. I think the best I can manage would be... Heizou, Fischl, Shinobu, Barbara? Barbara is still my only Hydro character, and it doesn't sound like her skill has enough uptime for the plan you're describing.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

fischl and shinobu are really good supports for him but ideally you'd want Xingqiu for the hydro slot, yeah. Honestly, XQ will be in the starglitter exchange shop next month, if you have any desire to roll for anything in the next few banners i'd save up and purchase him, he's an extremely good unit.
Oh, I didn't know it's a fixed rotation. That's a good tip.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm definitely into Heizou, but Jesus, even with the interactive map up on my other monitor, collecting these beetles is a massive ballache.

It's ridiculous that you need just as many of them as Xiangling's chilies, which grow in sets of three all over the place.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
After briefly getting to play with her in her Story Quest, the Almighty Shogun is firmly #1 on my list of 5-stars to look out for. I'll wait for eternity if I have to.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The next step of the teapot adventure guide thing wants me to buy something from the Travelling Salesman in another player's teapot. Is there some way to do that by ducking into any old rando's world, or will I have to faff around adding people to my friends list and waiting for the Salesman to show up in one of them?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I have enough primos to force the 50-50 on Zhongli, but my instinct is telling me to let it go and keep saving until I have a better understanding of who else I might want and why. Especially since the all the one-time primo rewards from quests and statues and whatever else will presumably start drying up eventually?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That's all pretty persuasive. I guess I'll go for it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Well it took 80 rolls, and I lost the flip and wound up with a constellation for Qiqi, of all things. But it was a fluke to unlock her so early in the first place, and I got three constellations for Fischl along the way, so I can't be too salty. This gives me enough glitter to buy Xingqiu the moment he rotates in, too.

Now I guess I just hope for Kazuha or the Shogun or someone to show up before too long so I can cash in my guarantee, then.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Bogus. Plenty of time to save up, then, I guess.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
One thing that's not obvious to me from the explanation on the wiki: if a buff like Shinobu's ring or a summon like Oz triggers an elemental reaction while the original caster is off the field, whose Elemental Mastery does it scale with? The active character, or the original caster?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Okay. That's what I assumed, but I hadn't seen it explicitly stated anywhere.

I noticed that Qiqi's amulets never seem to heal anyone but the active character, which made me wonder if I was misunderstanding how the "source" of an attack is decided. But I guess what's going on there is just that that particular effect doesn't work while the attacker is off the field.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I just mean the single-target heal from from the talismans from her burst and A4, yeah. It doesn't trigger from damage dealt by buffs and summons unless their caster is currently on the field.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Mix. posted:

Dante from DMC unironically :colbert:
Four different Dantes, so you can have a team that's just him with four different weapons.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I've got enough 4-star artifacts that I want to start feeding the weaker ones to my 5-stars. Is there anything I should look out for and hold onto apart from elemental damage goblets?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I can't even imagine playing this game on a phone, except maybe to condense some resin to save for later.

How does anyone fully appreciate their waifus in anything less than 4K 60 FPS?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

x1o posted:

Me every time this thread starts talking about team comps and other combat related things

I'm currently working on an innovative build based on the theme of "characters I own", focusing on the inherent synergy around the fact that I own all the characters in it; thus, none of them require me to spend 15,000 primos I don't have on a banner that won't reappear until next year. This yields a significant increase in DPS.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I kinda liked part 1. I thought it was funny. Especially because I didn't expect her to be a comedic character at all.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I didn't know Shiny Colours was structured like a roguelike. That's hilarious. Seems like a good choice, though. When I played Idolmaster 2 I only did one run and I remember it being, like, "full Europa Universalis campaign"-level long. Though I guess being in a language I could barely read will have slowed things down.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah people usually bring up Albedo as a character who'd make sense on the standard banner, but he can't be since he was introduced as event-exclusive. I do wonder if they'll ever make a new non-exclusive Geo character for the standard banner or just leave that gap there.
I don't know why a game developer would ever publicly commit themselves to "never doing X". Seems like a really bad call to me. We should have learned our lesson from the Reserved List in Magic.

I guess there's nothing to stop them inventing a new class of "event" banner that lasts for 364 days out of every year...

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 7, 2022

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Incoherence posted:

The fine print just says they won't be including the event 5*s (minus Tighnari, and Keqing awhile ago) in Wanderlust Invocation, which probably means they can make a Standard Banner 2 at some point (or a Mondstadt/Liyue permanent banner or something).
Hell, if that's all they're committed to, they could retire Wanderlust Invocation and replace it with a new Standard Wish that's exactly the same but with more 5-stars in it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh, I'm not saying it's a good idea. There'd be much better ways to go about it. I'm just interested in what they could do to escape this problem they've made for themselves.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I mean, I really don't think it's likely that making more products available more of the time would result in less revenue. I can't imagine players get duped that badly by the time limit on event banners. But maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

Anyway, I don't even think the current model is actually broken. I just think it's silly to say things that limit what you can do in the future, is all.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 7, 2022

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

theres successful gacha games that only rarely have limited characters, like arknights or blue archive, and theres successful gacha games that more frequently add characters to the standard pool, like fgo, but genshin's chosen this path and they kind of have to commit to it. its more about audience expectation than anything. tighnari's banner has made less money than a lot of other banners, even with zhongli running alongside him. that pretty much proves that 'will be eventually added to the standard banner' limits the money they make. and dumping it on players as a surprise would make people feel duped. not to mention there's some charcaters who are too 'high value' to ever really be added to that kind of pool, like the archons.
I suppose it is more of a PR issue than something they can just rules-lawyer their way out of, when you put it that way. Though my instinct says they could probably still just do whatever they wanted. It's only the very most entrenched players who'd be bothered by it; you've already got their money, and they're probably in too deep to quit over it anyway. Maybe that's too cavalier.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

the issue is that the most entrenched players are also the ones who are likely to complain the most, and loud, vocal complaints from your most dedicated fans tend to turn off curious casuals, who would be the main people a move like that would be aimed at.

im definitely not saying they couldnt do it if they wanted to and probably be fine, i just dont think theyll go that route. its more trouble than its worth for something that doesnt seem like itd improve profits any or make anything any easier for them. theres more roundabout ways of making those characters more accessible with way less trouble.
That's all true. I think a blowup along the lines of "They said they wouldn't distribute certain characters in this specific way and then changed their mind!" is probably too deep in the weeds for anyone who doesn't already play the game to take any notice, though? I dunno. It is a real risk.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

An important thing to remember is that making characters permanent might actually decrease their availability to the average player. To use Raiden as an example again, sure, she's not always available, but when she is, you can guarantee that you get her as long as you've saved up enough primogems ahead of time. But there's no way to guarantee yourself Diluc, Keqing, Jean, Mona, or Qiqi (haha just kidding we're all guaranteed Qiqi eventually). You can add Tighnari to that list starting in 3.1, too.

It's possible that permanent banner characters could get featured again at some point, like Keqing did once (though that was a special circumstance). Maybe they could add an Epitomized Path-like system for the permanent banner in the future. But with how it works now, characters on the permanent banner are harder to get, even if they're technically always available.
Oh, absolutely. And worse, each new character they add makes the existing ones even harder to get. If they just woke up tomorrow and said "2nd anniversary! All the previous 5-stars are going into Wanderlust Invocation and never getting another rerun! Good luck, fuckers!", that would be a disaster for way more reasons than just because they went back on their word.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Was the first anniversary contentious? I actually didn't know that when I made that joke. That's funny.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I have a bunch of random billets lying around and no real idea what to do with them. Are there any standout crafted weapons I definitely want to have at my disposal?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
They always announce all the 5-stars for a patch ahead of time, right? So I can wait to see who'll be in 3.1 before I decide whether or not to commit to Kokomi?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Last chance saloon for the Zhongster tonight. If I were willing to commit all my primos, I'd have a pretty good (80%+) chance of grabbing him after I lost the 50-50 earlier. But I think I have to sandbag everything in case of Raiden/Ayaka reruns in in the nearish future, because they're #1 and #3 on the list of characters I'm most looking out for.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Excelzior posted:

Im sticking with Shinobu (why does everyone call her kuki anyways, it drives me crazy)
You have to get to a certain Friendship Level before you're allowed to call her by her first name. It's like Tokimeki Memorial.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I need a list of every team comp people are running because I have also never been able to decode them on sight.
I'm currently running Ace Defective, which is an innovative strategy where you use Heizou as your on-field attacker and put Superconduct on everything for absolutely no value, just because you like how Qiqi plays.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

lol I cannot take Paimon's english voice at all
The decision to have her call herself "oira" in Japanese instead of speaking in the third person was an absolute masterstroke.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That's terrible. Twitter is no place for children.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Who is going to be the next cool lady I should be saving up for? No kids though, I hate kids. Also I swore an oath to never use pyro for some reason.
If you hate kids, surely that's all the more reason to give them a sword and send them into combat.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Mix. posted:

We know the desert is coming presumably next patch, and we're pretty sure there's going to be something up north for Liyue since there's a village we can't visit yet that's on the border between Liyue and Fontaine, but I wonder if we're going to get that huge chunk of land to the east of Port Ormos and south of Liyue Harbor at some point? It's pretty huge, like Chasm-sized, but there's gotta be stuff there that isnt just coastline bc...I feel like they wouldve just made it a coastline when adding Sumeru if thats all it would be :v:
I was just thinking about that the other day. It's a pretty conspicuous gap, given that ocean borders are usually an open-world zone designer's best friend. If you look out toward there from Watatsumi Island, it looks like there are a few little islands in the ocean between them, too.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 10, 2022

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Pope Urbane II posted:

The next time we see her she's going to be dressing like a loving maniac and have a totally different face.
Checks out. It must be the Vision itself that starts to corrupt your fashion sense over time. And when we meet the people from Inazuma who've had theirs confiscated, they dress normally, so I guess it isn't permanent.

Fischl is an exception. I assume she's just always dressed like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Pope Urbane II posted:

It must be really hard for the Knights and other organizations dominated by vision-holders to maintain uniform standards when having superpowers means you're obligated to dress like you're in a music video.
I guess that's just an accepted cultural practice in Teyvat. Proper uniforms are probably a non-starter in the City of Freedom anyway.