Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Honkai Impact is loving weird man. Just read a visual novel chapter where genderbent Thomas Edison threw on a powered armor suit and had a Dragon Ball Z like power struggle with a giant ball of evil Honkai energy threatening to blow up New York and then having a heart to heart with an AI Benjamin Franklin in a fake U.S Dollar Bill. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Haven't been able to do too much of Sumeru yet but I did walk into the forest and bump into a scholar who totally ignore Paimon calling out to her (which seems like a fair move) and then unlocked my first Archon Statue there and sighted Sumeru City in the distance.

Kale
May 14, 2010

So apparently Colleis Burst makes Smug Fox pretty drat good with the reaction I've been hearing.

Kale
May 14, 2010

They really nailed the peaceful small hospice village vibe with the suite for Gandharva Ville suite. If all the music for Sumeru is this impressionable it's going to be a solid year of exploration. It's pretty wild this is the first time Yu-Peng Chen has ever composed music for a video game. The music in the game has always been great but the last couple permanent suites in Chasm and Sumeru that have been released really take the cake.

Also I love that with Collei they've got this whole sickly girl story with her built up since the manga and all the poo poo that's happened to her since of the kind that tends to really resonate with the anime otaku crowd, made her super cutesy and quirky albeit troubled in her character interactions such that it hits all the right notes and then just made her the entry level 4 star for the region and are just giving a C0 of her away with the event. Another notch in how this game is strangely unoptimized for potential revenue despite how much it still pulls in anyway. The biggest one to me though is still the general lack of costumes. Like somebody suggested once, throw Zhongli in a tux, or something or IMO have a Raiden Shogun summer theme costume, but either they don't want to take that path with the game or want to hold on to cards like that for a potential future event.

e: Why is there suddenly a surge of Ningguang fanart even though she hasn't appeared in game since her hangout in 2.4? Is it her birthday? *Checks twitter* Yup.....

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 26, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

In that scene where Ayaka offers to have some clothes made for you, there was a fraction of a second where I thought they might actually give me an alternate outfit for the Traveller. FF14 has set my expectations too high.

Well I was thinking as well they could have probably chopped the OST up into collectors items and charged like 40-50 dollars a pop like Square Enix or something like that and done quite well with it but chose to just release things to the public on youtube for free. Its just unheard of kind of stuff. No super love for China or anything, but IMO if this game had been done by a Japanese company they'd have squeezed the poo poo out of its fanbase every which way by now in ways like that. Even the merchandising would have been a whole other level already with big deals with figurine companies to make figurines out of every character by now instead of just a small handful and some plushies.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Note Block posted:

Tighnari took my already monsterous C6R5 Yae Miko and made all of her turret attacks burst damage levels of stupid and now she does 15k on auto-attack. Thanks Tighnari! I have no idea what mechanics anything has in the overworld because if it dares to have dendro on it, Yae Miko obliterates it instantly.

Yeah I guess we have our answer for what completes Yae Mikos kit now. Gives credence to the leak that she's apparently supposed to show up in 3.2 for some contest in Sumeru and that she'll be getting a rerun then.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Eimi posted:

If she brings her girlfriend along as a rerun that will be a painful banner for me.

For what its worth my guess would be since Raiden has already had a rerun fairly recently and Yae hasn't had one yet the most likely candidates for another one in the next couple patches would be Shenhe and Yae. I dont know maybe Shenhe will come over the mountain to eat some Sumeran grass or something.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVPDszGmTgg

Honkai Impact just had a pretty cool livestream concert this morning. Mihoyo seems to be reinvesting money into production values for these with like holograms and viewer particpation type features. Again the fact this stuff is free when usually they're one time only paid subscription and that they got a few overseas people to take part as well is pretty neat. Its not all my cup of tea music wise and Yu-Peng Chen isn't involved but yeah.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I ended up climbing up over the Chasm and then backtracking to the new tunnel leading into Sumeru without realizing that it was there to trigger the cutscene of walking into the forest region for the first time. After that it's generally been in order outside of unlocking the Archon Statue before Collei takes me there since I've learned from playing games like FFXIV that half the time poo poo you're supposed to do doesn't unlock properly until the main quest takes you through that region. Spending the first few hours of Sumeru hanging around this one outpost and going on some sort of vision quest is kind of reminding me of the first few hours of Inazuma being holed up in Ritou, but at least I kind of have the option to explore if I really want too. I feel like I'm finally starting to get into the swing of things though. It's still funny that it's been almost 5 days and I've basically only explored like this 400 or so in game meters of one little corner of one region of 5 or so that's not even representative of half of the country, just what's available right now. Granted I haven't really had THAT much time to play the game until last night.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Kind of weird to have that Sage guy from Sumeru City refer to an event that happened in Tighnari's character teaser as far as I'm aware. They really do expect you to have seen every piece of media related to this game for optimal story flow I guess.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

She seems to be going for a mix of 'mishmash foreign merchant' and 'ultra-polite, ultra-formal', so her speech comes across very strange. The mishmash foreign merchant accent is something you see in anime and other media sometimes, my understanding is that it's basically just a stereotype derived from the various cultures that traded with Japan via the silk road. Iran, India, China, various European countries, that sort of thing. If you've ever seen a merchant character with a turban in a JRPG, they were probably pulling from that kind of thing in the JP script. However, her actual speech patterns in Japanese seem to be based on something like an extremely formal, overly polite court scholar type in a period drama, or something - her delivery, rhythm, and word choice are all very 'old' compared to the other characters in the game, even moreso than when, say, the archons are going full godly speech mode.

I've heard she has a very prominent and smug "Desu wa", which would track with having Keigo style speech, but haven't gotten there to confirm myself.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1zRV6k2uvc

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/x0m4r4/pizza_hut_collab_is_so_popular_in_china_that/

Somehow not surprised.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Apparently Mondstadt is getting a festival event next patch, so wondering who the feature character is going to be, but probably Eula/Albedo since they're now I believe the longest standing limited Mondstadt characters since last run. Like last year in December.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

https://saveyourprimos.carrd.co/#upcoming

this is the most updated speculative release list

3.0 is kind of a light introduction to Sumeru banners with basically the equivalent of Keqings limited banner in Tighnari and another Ganyu and Kokonuts rerun before it gets potentially very dicey till at least 3.4 it seems. These arent including the potential for likely Eula, Yae, Hu Tao, Shenhe, and possibly even Raiden reruns in the mix as well as the characters that have gone longest without reruns now off the top of my head. This is with the reduced release schedule as well and the refreshed top off bonus coming up in the next month. Kind of feels like Mihoyo putting the squeeze on players for the first time since that Yae, Raiden, Ayato, Ayaka, Yelan bonanza all within the spawn of a few months.

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 31, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

Harrow posted:

Right now I just really want Kuki Shinobu so I can make the most badass possible hyperbloom team, though out of the upcoming confirmed 5*s Dehya does seem really cool.

Thats the only 4 star character I dont have so far. Just never dropped in 50 pulls on Ittos banner. By comparison I got 3 Heizous, but had to go 174 or so pulls deep on the Kazuha banner in my first lost 50/50 all year. Even still there's just no feasible way to get all the upcoming 5 stars even with Welkins Pass and in game rewards. It has me debating skipping Zhongli for a 3rd time since getting him would make at least two of Nilou, Dehya, Scaramouche and Kusanali basically impossible....who are all potential targets for me.

Kale
May 14, 2010

The supposed leaked voice lines for Scaramouche out there sound a little too much like somebody's fanfiction for me though maybe there's some more context to be had. Still not sure if I buy some of those sans audio and screenshots. :lol:

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact_Leaks/comments/x33lnp/new_collab/

Monetization intensifies.

Also another leak for 3.1 and gonna put this in spoilers but:

I would say that increases the likelihood of a Eula rerun next month pretty readily.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 1, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

Based on fan response they should have made Dunyarzad a playable character :lol:

Kale
May 14, 2010

What's up with this kind of stupid Adventure in the Forest Web Event thing? Like I know it's obviously to try to generate traffic on Hoyolab, but why can't I claim any of the prizes and there's just this forever counter counting down and then resetting the next day that keeps telling me to come back later? Like do I have to claim it at an exact specific time window within like a minute or something cause gently caress that honestly that's just dumb if that's the case but it's kind of the only conclusion I've come too.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Excelzior posted:

that's exactly it, either you

1 - Log in exactly at the reset time before anyone else can claim the extremely limited daily inventory of guaranteed prizes

OR

2 - you press the "plant 30 seeds" slot machine and hope to get a payoff (lol, lmao)

With this games level of player base that seems almost impossible for someone that is using sleeping at the time it resets in particular. Even if I weren't I've never been good at EBAY games so.....like I just assume the primogems are all gone within like 2 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vGcmw3H83U

Anyway Dori's character trailer came out today, but I'm going to share the Japanese one cause it's just particularly special how this VA has decided to do the character still. I've noticed they've developed a fondness for this kind of stop motion 2D animation style in recent trailers as well, mostly for comedic stuff. Stop motion in general seems like it must be pretty popular in China cause they did the Pizza Hut commercial in that style and lots of Bilibili content videos use it as well.

Kale fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 2, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

hit button posted:

Noelle really wants her last constellation to be a strong main carry character, and is also extremely hungry for energy while having terrible energy generation. You can absolutely make her work if she's your favorite but I wouldn't recommend focusing on her to a new player (although she can fill a supporting healer role just fine).

Ninguang, or a physical damage Xiangling with a crafted crescent pike, should work significantly better straight out of the box.

Don't trust website tier lists or stuff like that, most of them are lovely clickbait. I'd recommend joining the discord linked in the OP and asking questions there. You can then sift useful info from the several paragraphs of argument which will inevitably follow.

I'd strongly recommend pulling on the current Zhongli banner. He will not help your immediate problem of lacking a strong damage main, but he will solve basically all your defense issues forever.

Yeah I'd kind of second this based on what I've seen. There's some kind of okay sites out there that just report on what characters do or you could ask here but avoid youtube in particular which seems to revolve around flip flopping on characters for clicks. There's been some horrible early takes on more than a few characters too or failing to take notes of their strengths properly. Like Raiden Shogun for example was once evaluated as pretty bad even though she's almost unarguably the best Electro character in the entire game. Also Shenhe got a pretty bad evaluation early on too but if you have Ayaka and/or Ganyu then shes absolutely amazing with buffing them. Also Yae was extremely popular as a character but her early character evaluation was pretty lukewarm. That one I sort of get though as they needed to kind of fix her teleport and it turns out that her kit is really good for exploiting Quicken as well with 3.0s changes.

Bascially youtube genshin vids on character utility are kind of like that duality of man thing with a lot of them possibly having no idea what they are even talking about to begin with.

Kale
May 14, 2010

sushibandit posted:

That's a weird direction, it's like the VA can't decide whether to use a kid voice or the generic anime "lolibaba" voice or something in between. Hopefully the ingame character lines are a bit more consistent in either direction, cause it was jarring hearing it jump back and forth constantly in the trailer.

I thought it was just straight obaasan antics myself

Kale
May 14, 2010

WTF there was a world quest series at the Kamisato Estate apparently added in 2.8 that I never noticed until now.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/SaraSecoraVO/status/1562562501811638272?s=20&t=QY0Wob5O7-vGAzSHGyQEtA

Dunyarzads English VA apparently acknowledged the NPCs popularity and desires to make her playable even though it'll almost certainly never happen. Its good to see the decent side of the English Genshin community though if only Doris English VA could have been as fortunate.

Kale
May 14, 2010

MajorBonnet posted:

I finished up Aranayaka today and I'd say it's my favorite questline in the game so far. I still have more to do to finish out the book, but I'm not trying to speed clear things.

Overall, Sumeru feels like a huge step up from Inazuma. To me it makes it clear how much the pandemic likely affected development.

I hope they invest more in cinematics going forward. They do so well at them, but use them so sparsely. I wonder if that's due to game size concerns.

Edit: I also wonder if Marana's Avatar will become a weekly boss?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da4jJLvI_VA

Yeah Honkai has some dope rear end cinematics like this one that they seem to be trying to do more of in Genshin so theres definitely a history of solid cutscenes that arent just done all in engine. The actual cinematic part starts at around 5:45.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

her second story quest does a lot better job with her character i think. i like the mix of immortal war god and kind of broken down sheltered woman, especially with how shes kind of trying to live up to her sister who presumably actually was the badass war god, but her first story quest leans way too hard into it.

Ei was the badass wargod and ultimate weapon of Inazuma I thought. Makoto was the politician with a bit of combat experience with the sword apparently but nowhere near Ei.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Captain France posted:

Not that Honkai's VN cinematics aren't cool, but when comparing to when Genshin busts out the good animation, why would you go with the thing that honestly had me disappointed that Mei didn't get the good animation for her Herscherr transformation instead of the thing, like, later in the same chapter that made me go "oh. Oh she didn't get her good animation there because they were saving it for this one?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1sd5CzR504

I mean besides that you posted it before.

(Also I'm usually several pages behind when I see them, but never stop posting random rear end Honkai lore summaries this game sounds so loving batshit when presented with some distance and I loving love it. And also just remembered the rest of the latest chapter should be out so I know what I'm about to go do. :neckbeard:)

Yeah it's crazy bonkers like when in the Anti-Entropy visual novel genderbent Thomas Edison and the ghost of Marquis De Lafayette's daughter defended New York from a salvo of nukes and giant ball of Honkai energy in 1955 in a DBZ like power struggle, but the original empire state building was a casualty and just doesn't exist in that worlds universe anymore and Otto Apocalypse took over the cyborg valkyrie's body to try to make sure the nukes hit, but Welt Joyce the main character of the story realized the macguffin they spent the whole visual novel finding can summon localized and shaped black holes to try to ensnare his enemies. It's funny just to describe the stuff that happens in the stories sometimes because the sentences just sound insane frankly in any sort of context. Genshin Impact's story is a lot less zany in comparison.

e: New event seems like a rerun of the treasure hunting hot and cold one just in Sumeru at first glance. Actually kind of enjoyed that one in Inazuma. Never got to do the Mondstatd/Liyue one since it happened a couple months before I really picked up the game some time in the last week of the 1.4 patch.

Kale fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 4, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

Captain France posted:

Just played the latest Honkai update, and man (spoilers, but honestly aside from visuals they're for the update before last)
Elysia is really giving "The Cooler Kokomi" vibes for this fight.

Also makes me wonder: How much do we know about the Hydro Archon? Because I think I can guess which Honkai character they're gonna be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abdGGfCnacI

Personally I thought Mobius summer skin was the cooler Kokomi

Kale
May 14, 2010

So apparently Mihoyo clean sweeped a fan vote for national IP in China with Genshin, Honkai and Tears of Themis in 1st 2nd and 3rd but the organizers apparently decided they prefer Game for Peace better and somehow added over 250K votes to get it to 2nd place and bump Tears of Themis to 4th in the final selection. I guess they don't like the idea of one publisher dominating and leaving Tencent out of the picture or maybe just don't want to have a game like Tears of Themis getting an award since it doesnt fit the CCPs vision of depictions of men in games. Yeah though Mihoyo has clearly struck a chord in China in particular coming from pretty average roots to effectively shut out even Tencent from top 3 ips in 2021 as voted by fans.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Eimi posted:

On a quick google search for Tears of Themis the guys look more 'manly' than most of the playable Genshin guys, especially given Venti is probably the posterboard so I'm going to go with they just didn't want one dev getting a clean sweep. Unless the actual game of Themis is just full of Venti clones or something.

Who knows, it's just pretty blatant when a game is voted in 4th place by like 200K votes difference with the visibly 3rd place one yet somehow is considered 2nd overall and leap frogs 2 spots in the "official" tally. :lol:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

idolmaster shiny colors is a game thats girls and has a similar idea, basically the main mode of the game is a roguelike raising sim where you schedule practice and concerts for whichever idol girl you picked, with the girls having different cards that have different plot arcs play out as you progress and if you get the ending, and then the 'support' cards you equipped before the run all have their own unique story scenes that pop up as you play. its a neat format but also if youre grinding out different characters with the same support setup youre gonna be skipping a lot of repeated scenes. good writing and art though. sadly jp only. also its idols which i know some people arent into.

the funniest otome mobage is twisted wonderland which is disney branded and has the worlds jankiest looking combat system that ive never seen anyone talk about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEaN54wYilU&t=10s

Ah yes that one that comes off as kind barely Disney themed, that I've never seen anyone mention anything to do with gameplay for (literal first time I've seen gameplay for it ever despite being casually aware of its existence for a couple years now lol), and seems to be banking entirely on a popular character designers branding as well as Sony Music's massive branding and marketing in, in the Japanese market. That one apparently came out globally, but I've scarcely seen a word of it since it launched. It doesnt seem structured much for the global market where the brandings mean little for it in absence of anything explicitly Disney unless theres more super fan whales of that character designer than I'm aware of.:shrug:

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 6, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

So I finally got to the point where the recommended reading order guide says to play the first 2 chapters of Honkai Impact 3rd for optimal experience so I actually decided to try it last night and boy does it come across as more of a gacha game already, which Genshin doesn't entirely register to me as most of the time. It was also kind of different than I was expecting in a lot of ways though I guess that's to be expected since it was made much earlier in Mihoyo's history and when they were still practically a mom and pop outfit in comparison.

Really quickly, first the game just kind of throws you right in similar to Genshin with a cutscene movie and then just quickly dropped off onto a plane as Kiana. There's a tutorial that basically railroads you and adds functions as you go along the stages and the story is pretty razor thin to start. Something about boarding a carrier that was apparently left to Kiana by someone that serves as the base hub menu after the chapter. It's pretty basic controls with an attack charge command, a dodge option, a skill and an ultimate ability that costs SP which seems to be gained by pickups, using skills that generate it or just plain doing objective and fighting well.

Eventually you get Mei as a teammate and there's a fake first roll that gives you Bronya (Valkyrie Chariot). There's like a rock paper scissors mechanic it seems where things are supposed to be good against certain types. Kiana is Biological, Mei is Psy and Bronya is Mechanical. It's pretty basic controls and I was surprised by no jump button. Kiana has a pistol skill that takes like 10 seconds to charge between single shots that seems to stun non-mechanical enemies briefly and an ultimate that powers up her attacks with Bayonetta like cat paw portal things. Bronya is slow as gently caress and has a charge attack that takes a bit to deal full damage but has some range though you can't turn it and she just strafes extremely slowly when you try to go left to right. If it weren't for her ultimate which causes this black hole like gathering property that none of the other characters seem to have she seems like total crap with her mobility and seemingly non-existent melee options. Mei was felt the most playable to me at base, though her base costume looks like somebody threw an NPC armor onto her. She has some decently quick katana slashes, a quick dash attack that didn't seem to have as much cool down as the other two Valkyrie's dodges, and a kunai skill that causes a bleed like effect on enemies which is really good. Her charge attack is also solid AoE damage that's easy enough to hit with, though her ultimate was probably the least utility just being a damage AoE multi slash attack. Her being solid mid range led me to sink a bit more into building her since the other two really did not feel good to use through the session. I assume they make this opening slate play kind of lovely to encourage early use of the gacha.

As for presentation the game was pretty bare bones story wise through the first chapter and what I played of the second though there's that oddly amusing factor to the way it does some immersion things like the dialogue and use of the ultimately pretty clearly limited engine at this stage. Kiana seems to break the fourth wall a lot between stages with quips to the player about going on strike if Mei wasn't included in the party or you playing out a mock exam with her in engine to solve literally the simplest problems. The chapter menu layout also seems to be based on themes of the chapter in an interesting way. There's some jank though like the audio not lining up with the subtitles on most of the cutscenes that play throughout the stage that are done in that sort of Bayonetta style of still image dramatic panning and rotating that I find oddly amusing. Also they tend to come in and out rather abruptly just kind of plopping you into a stage. Genshin definitely has a lot more fluid transitions. The characters also quip at the player during some of the gameplay segments, but a lot of it doesn't seem to be subtitled which is odd if a game is going to be Japanese and Chinese voice over only. I some imagine this changes a bit since it seems like the chapters get much longer from various youtube videos I've seen and I've heard the game didn't really hit it's stride until a few years in and that the first 7-10 chapters of game and story are kind of rough and threadbare in comparison to the more recent chapters.

Anyway sorry for this and it's already been far too much summarizing, but I found the game kind of hits you over the head with a ton of stuff way more than Genshin. With Genshin it's all introduced a lot slower, but in Honkai it's all thrown at you within the first short 30 minute or so chapter and there's also way the gently caress more premium seeming currency to get other currency to upgrade this or that or exchange for whatever and I assume it explains it possibly as it becomes relevant, but it also makes it feel a lot more gachaish game than Genshin. In some regards it reminds me of my first impression of Genshin maybe which wasn't the greatest, though what eventually got me back into Genshin was it being really easy to just ignore the gacha system until I feel like using it and the surprising immersiveness of the narrative and exploration. Honkai isn't going to have that sense of exploration, so it's probably going to need to rely on the narrative or the gameplay getting deeper as it goes along to have me take it more seriously, but for now I'm kind of just interested in it's presentation for the most part.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Harrow posted:

They do that to drive sales, really. When they say that a character like Raiden Shogun is event exclusive, that you have three weeks to get her and then who knows how long it'll be until you have another shot, that's meant to put pressure on you to get her right now, and if you don't have enough primos to do that, well, crack open that wallet. The time pressure is all part of the sales strategy.

Sure, the wording means they can't eventually add her to the Wanderlust Invocation banner, but why would they want to? The exclusivity is the point. If they really want to make previous event exclusive 5-stars more available in the future, there are plenty of ways of doing that without adding them to Wanderlust Invocation (for example, adding a third rotating event banner, or having occasional special rerun events with multiple previous 5-stars all featured, or things like that).

It's not even that much pressure compared to most gacha games either I've noticed. There's 3 week time windows instead of like 7-14 days and they don't take the blindside you approach where you have to tune into some stream to find out what's getting shadow dropped literally as you are watching while also stacking as many other high profile banners a week ahead of the blindside banner reveal to try to make sure as many players as possible are going into it with as little resources as possible. Instead the official reveal tends to come about a week ahead of time and because of leaks and logical speculation based on what's happening in events and archon quests we can deduce for example that 3.1's first banner is going to be at least one of Cyno, Nilou, Candace and the second one will at minimum feature a Eula run. It's more of a "get hype" brain pick as to a "get panicked" one that is moderately less lovely to the player in not trying to catch them completely off guard with something and give them a moderate amount of time to get their resources in order even if it means just waiting for their next pay check to come in. I'm not a huge fan of gacha still by a long shot but this game is a lot less obnoxious and constantly in your face with it than some others I've played. Heck even Honkai Impact tries more sleazy manipulative gacha stuff like putting the caption "Top up so that we can fight by your side forever and ever" on the menu icon for the paid in game currency menu, which kind of got a groan out of me as I was going through the tutorial the other day.

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 7, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Oh, absolutely. And worse, each new character they add makes the existing ones even harder to get. If they just woke up tomorrow and said "2nd anniversary! All the previous 5-stars are going into Wanderlust Invocation and never getting another rerun! Good luck, fuckers!", that would be a disaster for way more reasons than just because they went back on their word.

I don't think there's any way for Mihoyo to win the anniversary scenario anyway, at least in the American market where people seem dead set on making it a tradition to throw a massive poo poo fit cause :munch: LULZ :munch:

Kale
May 14, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

The Genshin playerbase is and always will be terrible at evaluating characters beyond a surface level

A lot of it is cause of the bargain bin tier clickbaiting stuff in the Youtube sphere in particular jerking people around with bullshit flipflopping claims on what to expect out of characters kits. Some of them aren't even pretending to have any idea of what they are talking about either, but they have some digitized voice over to go along with a 1 minute clip of something somebody might have said somewhere on reddit so it needs to be put out there and then boom instant 100K clicks in like an hour and suddenly it becomes "common knowledge" cause even like 8 years deep into the post social media hell hole we've created a lot of people don't know how to proper valuate information that they are presented with.

Even now with the skytube app it still gets clogged right the gently caress up with nonsensical stuff though I've blocked out the worst of the worst channels at least.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I don't remember that. The videos of people grinding ruins guards to pulp with one ult came out pretty quickly. I think people underestimating her charge attack was the main noteworthy point.

I remember a lot of people saying that her dash was clunky, which it was kind of up until the most recent patch, but a lot of people kind of overlooked her other perks like easy Cryo infusion, a really great charge attack with quick hits and a ton of range, a really high damage multi hit burst and her passive talents as well like the crafting one. Her skill also hits in a pretty large radius, has a decent refresh rate of 10 seconds and is an easy self-buff to go along with the easy cryo infusion. She's good enough on her own, but now they've also added Shenhe to make her potentially even more lethal. Her only real sort of drawback is she doesn't contribute anything for the rest of the roster aside from her crafting talent which is outside combat anyway.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 7, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

The one I kind of feel may have been a bit overrated though for me at least is Ganyu. I've got her attack up to talent level 8, have a level 80 4* Hamayumi (refined once now) on her as recommended for non 5 star option and have a 4-set of Blizzard Strayer on her as well that's been maxed out and she has about 2,300 atk at this point and almost no way to build her any further short of going to level 90 with the weapon and her own level and possibly crowning her attack and I'm still only really getting like 16K or so damage off of her fully double charged attack that takes a ton of time to charge up, aim and fire. It just kind of doesn't seem that worth it and a lot of boss fights take way slower using her compared to say Ayaka or Hu Tao vape team. I think she's even kind of lagging behind characters like Ninguang in damage output who is doing like 3.5K damage per gem hit on most of her attacks after walking through jade walls and getting a geo shield with the 4-set Archaic Petra which isn't even an optimal build for her. Ganyu is also supposed to get a damage bonus when at full EN charge according to the Hamiyumi description but I'm not really noticing any major difference making me question whether the build guide I have for her is really the right one. Like for a character that's supposed to be one of the greatest in the game still I can't really say I'm feeling it all that much.

Kale
May 14, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

https://twitter.com/GenshinImpact/status/1561656393752809473

they haven't given an exact banner order yet but those 3 characters are all coming up soon

you can find a leaked future banner order here. that site compiles info from 'reliable' leakers so its banner order is probably right:

212K likes for Candace. Is that the most buzz a probable 4-star has ever generated?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Kokomi on this banner is kinda bad timing because she can be an ok support for aoe nilou comps to keep the team healthy from eating the powered bloom reactions but shes also at the spot right before we know what Nahidas kit is going to look like

And nahida being a healer with similar dendro applications would be killer for a lot of aggravate and bloom based teams.

At the same time, I dont have a good aoe hydro applier because mona has never shown up in my pulls

My hunch has been that Nilou is going to be very geared towards bringing out the most in Hyperbloom somehow though in what way it will be better than characters like Kokomi, Mona, Yelan etc I'm not sure.

Tree Reformat posted:

What we've seen of Sumeru offers some tantalizing lore bits, since it seems to be dealing directly with the Ley Lines and about why they're in such a hosed up state.

I've sort of noticed the Irminsul tree has been mentioned in lore nuggets for a while now as pretty important to Teyvats I guess structural integrity and laws.

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Really what is with people and having to read with this game. Is it just a super popular talking point basically.