Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Don't have time to do much yet but I appreciate that we can go and murder these Elamite people for their keepsakes without a clue as to who the gently caress they are. Hope they're bad guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I'm not done with any of the quest lines yet but I wish that the Traveler would say something about Nara Varuna. Why are you so desperately trying to see Kusanali just so that she can deflect like all the other Archons, when you could just ask your turnip friends who you talk to all the time :argh: They even say that you and Varuna have the same music or whatever.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
It's pretty funny that I have to redeem daily commissions at a different Katheryne due to the archon quest.
Also today's dailies took me way out into the edge of the desert that I haven't explored yet :effort:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I wasn't expecting straight up torture (by the good guys, no less) to be part of the new archon quest :eyepop:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
The most shocking revelation: Razor's parents thought "Razor" was a good adventurer's name.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

there are always a few insane people on reddit who declare that every new character is completely useless but negative sentiment certainly wasn't as widespread for raiden as it was for kokomi

I started during the Raiden banner so I remember reading impressions in some detail. IIRC people were really mad about the Beidou interaction (and maybe some other stuff?) so the overall reaction was colored by a lot of bad-faith arguments. Objectively you could kind of tell it wasn't that bad.
With Kokomi it was a more straightforward case of gameplay misjudgment.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Refinement 1 of the associated limited 5* weapon.

(it always annoys me how constellations are 0-indexed and weapon refinements are 1-indexed :argh:)

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Koboje posted:

I am fairly new at Genshining, gotten to recently exploring Liyue and the story and got some questions and observation OP did not answer fully.

Are the Elemental reactions interchangable as far as damage is concerned if all other factors are equal?

The Traveler bugs me a bit, my MC girl is dead silent throughout all these events and the story while Paimon keeps blathering fully voiced, it feels like Paimon is my main character and the Traveler is just another Pokemon like the other characters I collected, except I cant talk to her, so she has even less of a presence. I guess she would only comment on things in the wild if I had her out and about, but her silence elsewhere makes me doubt it, even if I can plainly see she has a lot of voice lines in her Profile.

Related to previous point, right now Traveler has Anemo and Geo stuffs to switch between, neither feels that good in a fight compared to my alternatives so she is relegated to being brought out when I need a rock drop to reach an Oculi. Not knowing the meta stuff much, is she viable to develop with fun other Magic stuffs to switch between or coming up? Or just viable at all?

Eating foods, what effects can you stack, or is it just whatever highest modifier for any specific thing that matters? Right now I am munching one of each type of buff before tough fights

Just to confirm what I suspect, Fates never go on sale do they?

Oh yeah, what does Friendship level/points mean?

Elemental reactions aren't interchangeable. Vaporize and Melt are multipliers, so they scale the best with attack/crit. The other reactions depend on only Level and EM and have inherent constant factors, with I think Overload being the highest and Superconduct the lowest.

You will be happier if you accept Paimon into your heart, as she ain't going away.

Geo Traveler is decent but tricky to play. Dendro Traveler (when you get to Sumeru) is currently good, but it remains to be seen whether that's because we have no Dendro alternatives right now.

Fates go on "sale" in the form of the one-time double bonuses, which refresh rarely (once a year I think).

Friendship doesn't have any gameplay effects, it gives some cosmetic content like namecards.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

MoonCrab posted:

People get confused about spread/aggravate but the tldr is that it's basically just vape/melt. If you have an attack/crit weapon you build EM/DMG%/Crit, if you have an EM weapon you build Atk%/Dmg%/Crit. Both EM and Atk% substats are good, if you have lots of them then it might be better than an arti with higher CV, yadda yadda yadda, you know the drill.

Also I recommend this Keqing team over the other one. It's worth it, I promise. Keq definitely wants the TF set more that Fischl. It has, like, legitimate playability upside on her. Fish is the one that can use 2x/2x sets without losing too much.

https://gcsim.app/v3/viewer/share/3d11777a-28f7-4216-8dfa-803a5da773bc

I can't get Zhongli aggravate teams to work against multiple targets. Is it just meant to be a single-target team, or is there some gameplay trick that I'm missing out on? idk how I'm supposed to apply Dendro with how janky the MC/Collei skills feel

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

MNSNTZR posted:

i didn’t want to buy into the propaganda that zhongli makes you poo poo at the game because he hasn’t been in my teams since dendro dropped

the fact that i had to give up trying out the proper melt ganyu team trying to speedrun the robot boss forced me to accept that. i got my poo poo pushed in without a shield, i have no idea how these other motherfuckers did it
The meme is "just dodge" but to be honest I've never seen a video of this game where there's somebody doing impressive dodges to beat something hard. I'm sure that exists, it's just not common. Almost always it's just a smoothly optimized team where everyone bursts on cooldown and then you're spending 80% of the time in i-frames, or playing Freeze or something.
The game's not built for that. If you're dodging you're not putting out damage.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

No Wave posted:

https://youtu.be/d5UgRH5CjdA

Thats where I've seen this kind of thing best.

lol, I checked to see how this person dealt with the triple abyss herald floor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qOz5e6hTTw
"difficulty: 11/10"
Even this clearly skilled player eats poo poo multiple times in that room. But it does show that manipulating enemy position is probably the most important part.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Risutora posted:

ahahaha, the game allowed me think i had escaped the character quest trap by doing nilous and tighnaris quests just far enough to continue the boat of consciousness quest, but after the big battle it hit me with a triple block of nilou, tigh and goddamn cyno as well.

im never going to get nahidas talent materials at this rate.

I'm certain you can do the weekly boss before finishing the Archon quest (I just did it). Not sure if the domain is open immediately after the fight or not.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Can't loving stand Scara's first phase, you get rid of the floor hazards and then he just does that move again. Or the lasers when there's no way for you to get more blocks in time.

I must be doing it "wrong" because I just get up close and hit him until he changes phase :geno:
I don't even see his attacks because they go behind me. Strange design for a fight.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

haypliss posted:

I expect most of the remaining Harbingers will probably have one soft edge for people on the fence, but we've still seen enough of real turds like Dottore and Arlecchino that they can maintain appeal from their worst selves.

Arlecchino just runs the orphanage that grooms children into Fatui, right? Honestly would the Traveler even care about that? She can pull out a sister that she's nice to and get on the Childe pile.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
is there no way to turn off the dice rolling animation? they gotta make the accounting go faster if they want to retain on the TCG. let me press the drat buttons

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Are the NPCs in the inn that the game suggests you to duel at a higher Player Level just for fun, or are they supposed to be part of progression? Because they don't seem to drop anything if you beat them early.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I've been messing around with Fischl + double Anemo and spamming Gale Blade. I usually like playing disruptive bullshit and since there aren't counterspells or discard effects (I think) this is the next best thing.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Just poking at the uploaded teams on gcsim tartaglia does around 40-45% of the damage in his best team, International, (with an equal or greater amount of damage done by xiangling) while Eula does mostly ~70% of the total team damage in her superconduct teams. (But there are a ton of different ones, IDK if one is 'the best' or what.)

Comparing the raw numbers eula's personal damage is like 50% higher than childe's, although childe teams also use xiangling so they have higher total DPS. Plus they don't get giga owned by enemies with physical res or enemies that teleport away before your sword explodes.

I don't know if it makes sense to judge characters like that though. Eula would love to have supports that do more damage, she just can't while also fulfilling her own requirements. Meanwhile Xiangling is doing a lot of damage, but Childe's providing all the water.

I wonder what normal team has the highest share of personal damage. Maybe Itto mono-Geo?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I think player skill is way too variable to draw conclusions from a single person's sample of games. Some games I had were easy for the hunters, some for the rebels.
One thing I have found is that people aren't that aggressive about racing for the favor, so running straight for it no matter has worked out for me (though I may have just been getting lucky spawns).

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Hey, teleport points tell you on the map when they're in caves now. Finally.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Nilou's single comp destroys anything else for multiple enemies. Problem is they're never going to make encounters which really stress that ability, since then no one can clear it without Nilou.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Tree Reformat posted:

One of the big themes of the game is the tension between The Elect and Everyone Else. I suppose technically, our main character is supposed to be the bridge between the two, but we're just as much of an absurd demigod as all the other playable characters soooo

I remember seeing Ninguanng for the first time and being all "drat, we crossed this lady who owns the richest nation in the world? Oh poo poo, we're besities now, I bet her info network will be a big help" and it turns out its like, nah, she's ultimately a small fry in the grand scheme of things

I mean it's not really a problem with Ningguang. She is powerful. You're just on a cosmic quest that no one can really help with due to your goal being in hell and also heaven is actively erasing all the evidence. It's like if you arrange a meeting with Biden to ask him about aliens, he won't be able to help you.

At the end of the day the Traveler's whole thing is just a framing device. It started the game and it'll end it, but in between we've got a Teyvat to explore that's got its own poo poo going on.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

MNSNTZR posted:

agreed with kokomi, even though i don’t really use her as much as i should. i don’t think people undervalue zhongli as much as they dunk on him making you play the game bad, which can be true.

I don't really get the whole Zhongli being easy mode shtick because most people prefer ease Zhongli or no

Like Raiden national is burst burst burst burst on loop, you're either in i-frames or Raiden burst. Same with hyper Raiden
Freeze (when it's good) does not interact with enemies
With Nilou bloom or hyperbloom you press the buttons and it basically plays itself

and so on and so forth

few people play things like Wanderer with no shields

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
All this time I've been assuming that in rhythm events, the long notes need to be released with correct timing as well. But apparently you can just hold through them and it'll still give you a Perfect.
What's even the point then?! Is this how it works in actual rhythm games?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Mordiceius posted:

There are the perfect exact number of agates to max out the tree. So if you are missing 1 agate, it is the one from the foxes.

I don't think this is true? I found multiple agates after unlocking the repeating missions (and I don't think I've found them all still).

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Collei is pretty good in Nilou teams, arguably a first choice in Nilou/Kokomi/Nahida/X setups.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Better than characters who buff bloom like Baizhu or Kaveh, even? What's special about her in that context?

I'm not sure on the exact numbers but I don't think Kaveh's buff stacks very favorably with Nilou's bountiful cores which already have a huge multiplier, and the rest of his kit is kind of redundant.

At least personally, I find that the flex slot on that team is mainly for ensuring that you trigger Blooms. I find Collei to be the most reliable and practical application (aimed, decent range, boomerang return, lingering aura).

Not sure about Baizhu since I don't have him.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

MoonCrab posted:

The problem with Mika is actually the problem with physical: it's a worthless "element" in a game where half the important hp bars require elements to deplete instead of damage.

It's really just this, I can deal with numbers issues and physical resists, but when you get hard walled by an abyss mage it''s just too much to endure. They need to make Eula burst shatter elemental shields because something something vengeance idk

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
The thing with lore in this game is a lot of it is in the archaeological side with all the randoms notes left around of varying antiquity that you have to piece together the meaning of. That's not wrong in itself but it's a high-effort ask in a low-effort game so most people are not going to bother
Also with Sumeru especially your brain is going to spin if you're not fluent in like, Sanskrit and old Persian with the proper noun density. Like I gave an honest try at following the Liloupar cutscenes mini-plot but I just couldn't

Redmark fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 28, 2023

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It also assumes that I'm playing the game in huge chunks, which I am not. There no way I'm goin to remember what some tablet said somewhere when it uses a bunch of terms I didn't even know what they meant when I read it.

Hot take: genshin is like an extremely casual version of la-mulana

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Tampa Bae posted:

Finally finished up the last couple story quests in Inazuma and all I've got to do is track down the last couple chests to 100% the area. I understand the game is meant to be completed by using the free characters only but what on earth were they thinking with these compass puzzles. Unless I'm missing some kind of mechanic the only way to solve them is applying electro to yourself and literally stand still until it wears off, or just use Beidou.

You solve these by getting an Electrograna, walking to the compass until it points in the right direction, then gingerly walking away from it in the same direction until you're out of range. Rinse and repeat for each compass. This can be finicky when the compasses are close together but it's the general approach.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I like EN Lynette :shobon:
The quality of it is subjective but I don't really think it's true that she sounds like the other female characters.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

No Wave posted:

I've still got one more cycle of sumeru commissions but then I'm region complete. But how do I know I'll hit my 1/5 project baby commission? Read this if you ever wanna finish sumeru! https://m.hoyolab.com/#/article/16634545

Is it just me or was the article quite hard to understand? It seems like it's saying that NPC commissions don't repeat until you've completed each once. But how is this actionable?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Vil posted:

There are two big and one small takeaway from all of that:

Thanks, this was eminently readable. No marble analogies required.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
So now if you're doing quests or exploration or event stuff you don't have to do as many commissions? Kind of cool I guess, cuts down on grind a little. Also a bit of incentive not to do all the content in one go :v:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Stare-Out posted:

Turns out doing bosses also counts towards the commission thing so there's less of a need to keep yourself from exploring and opening chests in order to avoid doing the daily quests. The weekly rep quests and bounties count too but there's little reason to do those once you've maxed out a region's rep. Do all things that use up resin count too?
I don't think overworld bosses count? It doesn't mention it in the tooltip and after trying it it didn't give any points. Neither do bounties, but reputation requests work since they're technically quests.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Xalidur posted:

How the heck do you stay alive for more than 2 seconds against the Abyss 12 Dirge of Coppelia? Lmao. I got too arrogant feeling like through 11 was as easy as always. First time fighting this boss too.
My usual approach with failures against bosses in this game is to look up the boss in the wiki to internalize what the boss's attacks even are. When playing through it I'm too distracted to distinguish/remember what actually hit me. Once I know what it does it's a lot easier.
Also with a lot of enemies a big part of it is just having the discipline to keep them in camera through them moving around a lot. You can't dodge what you can't see.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the whale is really bad, and all the more galling because Apep came right before it and proves they can design good bosses if they try

(aside from the goofiness of giving everything from that era comical resistance to dendro rather than nerfing hyperbloom directly)

The worst thing about the whale is that something about the perspective messes with my hitbox perception
Pretty much every time it comes out I stop approaching too early and whiff my moves.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

I'm pretty sure Verdict is like a single-digit-percent DPS increase over R5 Serpent Spine. It's basically impossible to justify except as an extravagance if you really love her.

With Serpent Spine you need to wait like 20 seconds for it to stack. It's not the biggest deal, but then neither is Number so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I'm not convinced that the PRC really cares that much about the soft power of gacha games. I mean it's not nothing, but to me the simplest explanation is that the government really does just dislike people dedicating "too much" time and money to video games. And there's a lot of middle ground between doing nothing and arbitrarily "breaking up" game companies.