Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Hey all, I got a bit of a weird teambuilding help request. I recently pulled Faruzan (actually, randomly pulled 2 in quick succession, so she’s C1), and I think she seems neat and would like to build a team around her. The only problem is, I don’t have, and don’t want, Xiao, Wanderer, or even Kazuha. (However, I do have a Venti.) For completeness’ sake, here’s all the chars I have who I wouldn’t mind building for this team:

Amber C3
Ayaka C0
Barbara C2
Beidou C0
Chevreuse C6
Collei C0
Diona C6
Fischl C6
Freminet C0
Ganyu C0
Hu Tao C1
Jean C1
Keqing C0
Kujou Sara C6
Layla C0
Lisa C1
Lynette C0
Mona C0
Ningguang C1
Noelle C6
Qiqi C1
Raiden C2R1
Rosaria C1
Shenhe C0
Sucrose C1
Traveler (Dendro) C6
Venti C0
Xiangling C6
Xinyan C4
Yanfei C2
Yoimiya C0
Yun Jin C0

In terms of notable weapons I have: Lost Prayer to the Sacred Winds R2 (wonder if this would be good on Sucrose?), R1 Wolf’s Gravestone, R5 Festering Desire, R5 Windblume Ode, R5 Ballad of the Boundless Blue, R3 Rust, most Sacrificial and Favionus weapons at ~R2-5. I also subscribe to the Battle Pass, so consider all those weapons accessible, and am willing to buy Blackcliff or Royal from Paimon’s Bargains.

With all this info, what’s the strongest Faruzan team y’all can theorycraft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Lynette eventually (at C6) gets the ability to act as sort of a scuffed on-field DPS. You could build a mono Anemo team around her and Venti to get a feel for how it plays and eventually it'd be sort of functional once you have more constellations.

Mind you, even Heizou (let alone the ruled-out 5-stars) would probably be a more logical choice for that role, but I don't see him listed.

Ah, I'm a big fan of Lynette, so I like this idea a lot. I'll try it out. Thanks for the advice!

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Nakar posted:

Wanderer's base attack multipliers are something like double Sucrose's. Any amount of investment, he's going to outpace her on NA/CA damage, it's impossible for her to keep up trying to be an Anemo DPS, even with a Faruzan gimmick.

Which just leads to my next point. You know who else can probably do more Anemo damage than Sucrose with a Faruzan gimmick? Faruzan. Just on-field Faruzan. If you later get a "proper" Anemo DPS, you can pass whatever gear you give her along, or if you build Faruzan in a more supportive set like Noblesse Oblige you can keep it on her. If someone wants to use Faruzan, hell, might as well actually use Faruzan. She has to pop in to do stuff like charged shots anyway before C6, and being on-field will help her with her energy issues, so why not?

I love this idea, but then who would her best teammates be?

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Note Block posted:

edit: According to KQM you can make an on-field Faruzan carry with the TF set if she is at least c1, which seems very wacky but in a good way?

https://keqingmains.com/faruzan/#TF_Faruzan

Ok wow, since my Fischl is C6 and very heavily built (and one of my favorite characters anyways), guess I'm gonna pick up Kokomi at the next possible opportunity and try this! Thanks for the tip!

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Part of me is glad I neglected this game for two years and happened to come back to it right as they decided to add a ton of QoL features because I have enough of a backlog of content to avoid ever doing another commission quest for the rest of the game's lifespan.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
I finally got my Yoimiya overload team built up and holy crap that is by far the most fun and the most efficient time I have ever had clearing mobs in the overworld. Fischl E -> Yomiya ENNNNN is so goddamn effortless it's hard to imagine changing to literally anything else, ever.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Eimi posted:

I'm personally hoping it's set during the Cataclysm so we get both Aether and Lumine, and you know the important lore of what the gently caress actually happened there.

Wh-why would they use the anime as an opportunity to spoil the finale of the game?

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Right, so it only makes sense that they'd save the reveal of Khaenri'ah's most important secrets for the final chapter. Not to mention that in the first Dain quest the Abyss Twin (aka the current prince/princess of Khaenri'ah) explicitly tells you 'you'll only understand the reason for my actions at the end of your journey.'

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
So my favorite exploration team would be Rosaria, Gaming, Xianyun with Prayers, and another Anemo, which combine to give a permanent 30% movement speed bonus. Who should the second Anemo be (not Xiao or Wanderer - Gaming is the DPS here!)?

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Gaming already breaks rocks, but the dash is still tempting... Thanks!

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Enkanomiya is a pain in the rear end yeah but it's a cool af setting imo and it also has the most important lore in the game if you're into that sort of thing

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

everything points to her somehow being associated with Istaroth

Ok so what is the evidence for that again? Everything I've personally read (such as the pause menu thing) has seemed incredibly tenuous, I don't really buy it.

My personal theory is that Paimon is associated with the Seelies, given how she acts as our guide and loves treasure.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean she flies,
Seelies can fly too.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

stops and fast-forwards time
What's the evidence for this?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

, you find her in Venti's domain right near the Temple of the Winds,
This is a good point.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

she's connected to Celestia,
As are the Seelies.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

and nobody, not even characters with esoteric knowledge of the elements like Mona or Albedo, have any idea what she is.
There's plenty of other things Mona/Albedo/etc might not know about besides just Istaroth.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's also a line in A Familiar Threat that suggests Paimon is at most 400 years old, although it's ambiguous enough not to be taken as a certainty, and Paimon herself doesn't think much of Seelies based on For the Children of the Past. We don't know for certain that Seelies don't still reproduce, so being younger than the disaster that turned them into husks doesn't definitively rule it out, and we do know that the curse takes their memories, so her writing Seelies off as "large but annoying fireflies" could just be amnesia, but it takes a few assumptions itself.
Yeah as you point out none of this is all that conclusive as evidence. My read on the annoying fireflies line was that it was hilariously ironic - regardless of whether she's related to the Seelies, Paimon is basically a large and annoying firefly herself.

ETA:

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Am I misremembering or wasn't there also a thing during the chasm archon quest where everyone felt like time was moving slower for them except Paimon?

You're misremembering. Time moved slower for Paimon as well. Which I guess makes this potential evidence against her being connected to Istaroth...

Izzhov fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 28, 2024

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Open the pause menu.

Reread my initial post - I already mentioned this, lol. Really, really unconvincing.

You might notice that blades of grass also move while the game is paused. It's a video game abstraction.

And there's absolutely no evidence that the time thing is being done by Paimon (or, indeed, that it's in any real sense diegetic and not also a video game abstraction).

It makes way more sense to me to conclude that Paimon comes out of hammerspace when the game is paused so that cutscenes aren't the only time you see her.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I didn't misread it, I'm just restating the obvious, since you asked.

I thought it would be implicitly obvious, since I already mentioned it and called it unconvincing, and yet you said "she stops and fast forwards time" as though it were established fact, that I was asking for other evidence. My mistake - I probably should have reiterated when it came up again.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I looked it up and there's a line where the traveller says it feels like they've been in the chasm for a day but for Paimon it feels like 20 which could just be Paimon exaggerating but then not long after the rest of the party talks about this and takes what Paimon said seriously, which made me think she was being affected differently/to a lesser extent by the chasm for some reason.

That shows that Paimon and the Traveler were experiencing time differently, but, crucially, it is never established that everyone else's sense of time is lined up with the Traveler's and not with Paimon's. Given the "solution" that Yanfei "explains" at the end of the quest chain (the fact that they're in a "chaotic space" where all the rules are just topsy-turvy with seemingly little rhyme or reason) I personally don't think this points to anything being particularly special about Paimon - just that she is a victim of that phenomenon like everyone else.

I should also mention that the reason I was interpreting time as moving in some sense slower for Paimon as well - (albeit in a sense which is inherently difficult to define given the nature of the space they are in) - was because, like everyone else, she didn't get hungry no matter how much time has passed (which is more evidence for Paimon being a not-particularly-special victim of the phenomenon that was occurring in that space).

Izzhov fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 29, 2024

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Super interesting theory Nakar, I like it. There's definitely a lot to think about here.

Nakar posted:

1) (in-game lore claims they're dead but we know one of the moons is just down in the Abyss

How do we know one of the moons is in the Abyss, again? I don't remember this.

Nakar posted:

and the other might be hidden beyond the false sky)
One of my favorite crazy lore-lines in this game is when you encounter that one Melusine in Melusine village who "sees things strangely, even for a Melusine," she describes Paimon like this: "but to my eyes, Paimon is just like a little rainbow balloon floating in the air, and her string seems to extend upward, to somewhere above the sky itself..." which could imply that Paimon is the one hidden above the sky.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Nakar posted:

Start Floor 11 and turn your camera to the left.

oh wow

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
but I don't like 'im

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Asimo posted:

We've got at least one more Fontaine zone coming since the fountain and statue aren't completable yet

My lore theory on this is it's gonna be Petrichor, and we're gonna find out what the deal is with the Faded Castle - which'll be another Chasm/Enkanomiya-esque abyss zone.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
I use the CN audio for this game and don't find any of the characters' voices to be particularly annoying. I even like CN Paimon's voice tbh.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Mordiceius posted:

Is Fontaine good?

Fontaine is the best region and it also has the best story and the best characters.

EDIT: Best lore too.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Finally got Eula and WOW she's fun to use. I feel like there's more depth and dynamic decision making with her than most other DPS's. Perfectly timing a switch out to finish off an enemy with your burst is immensely satisfying. Highly recommend to anyone who wants to spice up their combat experience.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
My Yoimiya uses Slingshot and she feels pretty strong. The crit substat and passive on that thing really add up.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Anora posted:

Eula's stupid damage numbers totally carried me though Inazuma and the first half of Sumeru. Unfortunately I got Nahida so her reactions don't really benefit me currently.

Eula actually has a gimmick-rear end "hyperbloom team" that uses Nahida that you could try :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_z_2h49-jY

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Finally got my Qiqi built up to use on my Eula team, and, she's actually frickin' rad, especially with the clam set. Everyone on the internet is just Wrong about her.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
So I pulled two copies of Mitternacht's Waltz in the Chronicled Wish banner, and I was intrigued by how the weapon seems to encourage a sort of hybrid physical/electro on-field DPS build for Fischl (as well as how friggin' great it looks with Fischl aesthetically), so I theorycrafted a pretty idiosyncratic overload team comp centered around buffing the mess out of her. I've had multiple people tell me that they want to try the team for themselves, so I thought I'd share it here in case anyone here wants to try it too:

Character 1: Fischl - Weapon: Mitternacht's Waltz - Artifact Set: Pale Flame - Comments: the main girl! It's important to note that her goblet should be ATK% rather than Physical or Electro since we're doing a hybrid thing here (and to make up for the fact that MW doesn’t have ATK% as a secondary stat). Pale Flame is the best set because you can basically have full uptime on its 4-pc bonus with Oz.

Character 2: Xinyan - Weapon: Favonius Greatsword - Artifact Set: Tenacity of the Millelith - Comments: definitely the quirkiest, most off-meta character in the team comp, especially given that she's being played as a pure support, but the benefits she provides here are fivefold: 1) A4 passive directly buffs Fischl's physical dmg, 2) C4 shred's opponents' physical res, 3) her shield both helps protect our NA-spamming Fish from interruption and can provide intermittent dmg/pyro application at level 3, 4) Tenacity of the Millelith buffs her shield and allies' ATK via its great synergy with Oz, and 5) she is a claymore user, which means you can mine rocks when you use this team in the overworld. Plus she's just badass.

Character 3: Chevreuse - Weapon: Dialogues of the Desert Sages - Artifact Set: Songs of Days Past - Comments: provides an atk buff through her skill, an electro res shred through her A1 passive, and incredibly handy on-skill healing which is also very convenient if you’re using this team in the overworld. Songs of Days Past can give a flat 1200 dmg buff to Fischl’s attacks, which is very attainable for Chevy.

Character 4: Kujou Sara - Weapon: Viridescent Hunt - Artifact Set: Noblesse Oblige - Comments: provides an ATK buff from her Crowfeather and Noblesse, and gives a big electro crit dmg buff at C6. Can also deal decent personal damage in her own right. Not to mention the energy recharge from that sweet sweet electro resonance.

Some final comments: according to someone who helped me refine the comp, the rotation should be “Fischl E --> Xinyan E --> Chevreuse E Q --> Sara E Q --> Fischl NA > Q after Oz disappears > NA spam --> repeat”. Some else also suggested that Bennett might be better as a 1-to-1 slot with Sara. You lose the resonance, but I was told Fischl wouldn’t have any energy issues regardless since she’s on-field. Since this is all theorycrafted and I haven’t actually built anything, I’ll have to take their word for it – I plan on eventually trying out both variations.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Thanks for the suggestion! That would break Chevreuse, and also I don't have Rosaria at C6, but I do happen to have Shenhe, who as I understand can perform a similar function to C6 Rosaria. I have definitely been thinking about if I could design an alternate setup that would enable Fischl to take advantage of superconduct, because that's definitely a significant potential boost to Fischl's damage that's missing in the Chevreuse-based comp. Maybe something like Fischl-Xinyan-Bennett-Shenhe could work?

ETA:

sushibandit posted:

Nevermind, the fates declined to give me a Chevy so I forgot about her team element requirements. For those without a Chevy but wanting a similar physchl focused team, I'd still recommend Rosaria over Sara. Sara's buffs are just too short in duration.

I'm not 100% sure my current teamcomp can actually be counted specifically as "physchl" either, as it has several buffs specifically to electro (like from chevy and sara). I'm gonna need to test it out once I build it to see what the proportion of contribution of damage ends up being from both phys and electro.

Izzhov fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 20, 2024

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
From what I've been able to figure, the canonically best exploration team in this game would be Gaming/Rosaria/Xianyun/Venti, with Xianyun holding a Lost Prayer to the Sacred Winds. It has most everything you could want:

-Two different kinds of jumpin' from Xianyun and Venti
-Movement speed boost and stamina buff from anemo resonance
-Movement speed boost from Lost Prayer
-Permanent movement speed boost from Gaming/Rosaria's daytime/nighttime passives
-Gaming claymore for mining
-Venti bow for barrel/balloon/etc challenges
-Pyro from Gaming for those electro rocks
-Healing from Xianyun

Izzhov fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 22, 2024

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

kittenchops posted:

I've been running Yoi, Ei, Chevy, and prinzessin der verurteilung. It's super fun in the overworked with overloads popping off constantly. Would recommend

Yeah Chevy teams are absolutely awesome, she's easily a top 5 favorite char I've pulled in this game.

Ei/Xiangling/Chevy/Sara is actually currently my strongest abyss team, and I run a pretty similar team to yours in the overworld a lot, it makes combat the most painless experience imaginable.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
The great fayz reaction debate event is unbelievably fun, to the point that I'm actually kind of mad that it's a limited time event

Imagine if this got released as like a "training mode" we could use to test out our rotations against generic waves of enemies

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
I got a teambuilding question: if I'm making a Raiden/Nahida/Kokomi/DMC team where Nahida is holding Deepwood Memories, what artifact set should DMC use?

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Thanks both for the advice!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Tbh, I'm not really sure what dmc is doing to contribute all that much to that hyperbloom team, doesnt nahida have all your dendro application covered?

To be perfectly frank, I actually copied this particular team from the Keqingmains Nahida guide. For reference, they recommend a rotation of: Raiden E > Nahida N1E > Kokomi E > Dendro Traveler E N1Q > Kokomi Q 5[N3D]. But also, I really want to use DMC for sentimental reasons - I love any team that allows me to actually use the main character of the video game. Plus the Dendro Resonance + batterying couldn't hurt!

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Finally was able to get the legendary C4 Amber from the shop this month, so to celebrate I built up a Bunny Bomber melt team (Amber, Rosaria, Sucrose, Diona) and have been running around the overworld with it. It's a lot of fun! Surprisingly technical compared to most teams I use (I'm used to Raiden teams where the rotation is Raiden Skill -> Everyone Else Burst -> Raiden Burst, lol).

Obviously nowhere near meta in terms of DPS output, and I'd never use it in the Abyss, but in the overworld it has its perks. For example, Amber can actually mine tough rocks with manual bunny detonation, so there's no need to switch to a claymore team. The value of baron bunny taunt is also really underrated I think - like you know those covid-virus-looking bad boys in Fontaine who have that "pelt you with an endless stream of rocks until you die" attack? Usually I'm in a real rush to kill those guys before they can get that attack off since it's so brutal, but with baron bunny out I was able to take my time and I still didn't get hit once!

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
My BenQ Zowie EC2 works pretty good. I've been using it for about 4 years now with no issues.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
I had saved up like 250 pulls when that raiden yoimiya chevreuse sara bennet banner dropped a few months ago and spent literally all of them getting raiden c2 yoimiya c0 and chevy c6 (and sara c6 along the way) and I think that's far and away the single best pulling decision I have ever made in any gacha game. Chevreuse is completely game-changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Nakar posted:

Paimon has strong visual cues to The Sustainer from the intro (the triquetra, star/moon motifs, triplicate things in general like her three-parted cape/scarf thing). She is also constantly described as silver to the Traveler's gold, repeatedly refers to herself as a guide (in one of the conversation lines in the Traveler's profile she even jokingly calls herself the god of guides or something when the Traveler is talking with her about gods), and has been described as having a connection to the heavens. So we might just split the difference and say she's possibly one of the Moon Sisters who was gravely diminished but not killed, which would mean she isn't a Seelie but would have connections to them.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's also a line in A Familiar Threat that suggests Paimon is at most 400 years old, although it's ambiguous enough not to be taken as a certainty, and Paimon herself doesn't think much of Seelies based on For the Children of the Past. We don't know for certain that Seelies don't still reproduce, so being younger than the disaster that turned them into husks doesn't definitively rule it out, and we do know that the curse takes their memories, so her writing Seelies off as "large but annoying fireflies" could just be amnesia, but it takes a few assumptions itself.

Sorry to dredge up a really old topic but I'm kind of freaking out atm. I'm doing a random world quest in Sumeru called "The Price" and one of the Fatui I'm talking to literally just called Paimon "a strange Seelie." Obviously we can't necessarily just take a random Fatui's word for things BUT there is evidence that the Fatui know more than we do about the state of the world, for example in the Chasm world quest "Lost in a Foreign Land" Katarina strongly implies that not only she, but all of the citizens of Snezhnaya are aware of the Tsaritsa's purpose in collecting the Gnoses, so I really wouldn't put it past the Fatui to also know a bit about this particular topic as well.

ETA: drat, the coda to that quest hit me right in the feels...

Izzhov fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 16, 2024