Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I haven't played since the patch before Inazuma was released. I've been messing around for a week now and just cleaning up everything I can still do in Mondstat + Liyue before moving on and I was thinking of changing up my team a little bit.

Right now I use Ganyu as main DPS + Mona, Venti, & Zhongli, Ganyu is almost friendship level 10 so I figured I might as well try a new team/playstyle and just keep that team as backup when I start to struggle

These are all the 5 Stars I have, what's a good setup (Keep in mind I don't have hardly any 4 star characters that were released between Inazuma and this last week). If you're going to suggest a new main tell me what the playstyle is like and how long it will take to get them reasonably well geared to continue the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

RareAcumen posted:

It'd help more to know all the 4*s you do have anyway, since we can only assume all the initial Mondstadt characters, Xianling and Collei otherwise. For now I would say to level up Alhaitham as soon as you can because his and Nahida's dendro is nuts and you should absolutely use it since you have the opportunity.
Diona r6
Chongyun r4
Fischl r6
Ningguang r0
Sucrose r6
Beidou r4
Xingqiu r6
Xinyan r3
Sayu r1
Rosaria r5
Razor r1
Yanfei r4
Bennett r0

Noelle r6
Xingling r6
Barbara r6
Amber r1
Kaeya r2
Lisa r0
Collei r0

I haven't stepped foot into Inazuma yet so anyone that needs materials from there might need to wait a while. I've been through the The Chasm but only ran straight to the areas for the Second Blooming event so I can start leveling up Alhaitham

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Well since I'm about to take my first steps into Inazuma Al-Haitham or Xiao is the way to go if there's a lot of electro-resisting enemies

Is Hu Tao any good or does she just require a lot of investments

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

So if I've only ever worked on leveling up Ganyu and no other real DPS and now I'm at AR50, how do you supposed I farm the ice flower to get the next 22 materials I need to ascend to level 90. Is the answer just spending another couple hours farming materials to level up/gear a pyro team

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Toraen posted:

Either that or call upon goons to help you in coop to help kill the flower.

Also for Ganyu you can stop at 80/90 (final ascension done, but not capped on level), as she doesn't get much from going all the way to 90 and that will be a lot of exp books.
Yeah was just looking at 90 for the achievements, her friendship level is nearly 10 and as soon as it hits that I'm replacing her with either Hu Tao or Alhaitham, I just haven't decided which one and haven't started farming mats for either yet

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

presumably you can get them the same way you farmed the previous 24 flower drops?
like how did you get this far if you have no units who can kill the flower
I'm pretty sure by having a friend come in my world and farm the flowers with me, I only played between like, January and August of 2021

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I've been noticing a lot of guides putting Dionna on teams as the healer/shielder. I'm currently running Ganyu and planning on moving onto Hu Tao soon and most "SS" team builds have Diona as the healer/shielder but I never could use her reliably/comfortably because I'm just so used to using Zhongli's shielding

Is the only reason guides recommend her so much because nobody expects you to have a bunch of 5 star characters or because having her as a battery for Ganyu or a melt reaction for Hu Tao just that much more important

I don't think it would take a lot of convincing to tear me away from Zhongli on my next team, I use him when traveling and I'm sick of hearing all his essays on wine and boats

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Are Klee's landmines used by any other catalyst user because those were a little fun. Floating geo landmines that can be blown around or sucked up into tornadoes with anemo seems like fun

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

valuum posted:

So I cleaned out the last Aranaras on monday evening. It wasnt as bad as I feared thanks to the interactive map, but I guess you have to be in the right braindead mood.

Trip report:
  • Scouring the map since it was released I figured I missed one, maaaybe 2. Missed 5.
  • 4 were blatantly obvious ones right out in the open, 2 of which were really close to a loving teleporter.
  • Completed after checking 56 out of 76, which isnt too bad I guess. Didnt check the towers as I've double-checked those before.
  • The last 3 chests open simultaneously. Not sure what the threshold is for opening the 4th last, I opened it ages ago. Possibly around 10ish left?
Definitely changing my comissions to somewhere else for a while.
Sometimes they add new chests just for the heck of it so that could've explained some of the obvious ones. I followed a guide to get every chest in Mondstat ages ago and when I came back I found a couple new ones

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Could I grab someone's Silk Flowers? I only need 20 more to upgrade my Hu Tao and I've cleaned my world out

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Xun posted:

which server are you on?
North America. I'll try and stay online for the next hour and a half or two so nobody's just sitting around with an open world wasting their time

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Endorph posted:

but also if you dont wanna be mean to 13 year olds, my uid is 607300766 and my traveler is named caren, faruzan icon. feel free to grab anything that isnt in sumeru. imma go make lunch so just post in here when you're done grabbing whatever
I'm at world level 7 so I can't join but maybe I'll try and be mean to 13 year olds. Weird that I've got so much content in the game left but I'm already at the level cap for 2 characters, they must have really sped up exp gains since 2011

edit - took your advice and just asked someone with an open world. some AR lvl 20 account who was already all the way down in the desert and had most of the map unlocked but only had barbara and traveler lol

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 25, 2023

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I'm either not clicking with Hu Tao's playstyle or I'm just so used to how brain-dead I could play as Ganyu that the rest of the game feels hard again. Even without using reactions and trash artifacts on Ganyu I can just melt everything in the overworld without getting hit, but when I switch to Hu Tao I feel like I'm doing four times as much effort to do half the damage and constantly wasting food/revives/running back to statues

When I first asked for advice people told me to go to Keqing or Alhaitham team, if I'm just playing overworld and story and stepping foot into Inazuma for the first time is that the play? I don't mind grinding out materials for either of them for the next couple days.

I think I might've been spoiled on so easy Ganyu makes the game that I don't know how to play melee anymore

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Maxwell Adams posted:

You've got Hu Tao and Xingqui, that's the core of a very strong team right there. Normally people put Zhongli on that team because Hu Tao likes a a strong shield. You don't have him, but you have some other options. Noelle and Xinyan don't have good uptime on their shields, but you can run both of them and have them take turns putting a shield up. Maybe Diona would work too? I guess you could freeze an enemy with Diona + Xingqui before attacking them with Hu Tao.

You've got Tighnari there, he's pretty strong. Usually you would put him on a team with some electro characters. You've got Beidou, which is kind of an awkward match, but you could make it work. Fire up Beidou's burst, then switch to Tighnari and do normal attacks between charge shots. You might also consider Electro Traveler for that team.

You can set up a good freeze team. Rosaria and Kaeya will be there, plus Mona for hydro, then either Diona or Sayu for healing.

You should also build up Xiangling, she's great at dealing off-field damage and triggering reactions. Group her up with basically anyone, it just works.
thread told me that I should level up Hu Tao and I had spent a couple hours plaiyng her before I realized just exactly how long it would take investing into her to make her the "godlike" character she is, she isn't very casual/f2p friendly and her playstyle kind of sucks for everything but domains, bosses and the abyss

idk if people just forget that not everyone is ar60 capped and just farming domains and abyss every day or what but I didn't have such a great time playing her in the overworld

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Do you have to first unlock Electro Traveler in order to unlock Dendero traveler? Every guide I see online just says "oh it's so simple just walk up to a statue" but I think they were all wrote by people who were up to current content and not people who were either new or returning players because talking to a state as traveler doesn't trigger anything for me

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I didn't think I was crazy, the option just wasn't there for me until I re-logged. No idea why that happened, I even brought back some Dendoculous things just in case after the first time. after closing the game out the option was there like it should've been. This wasn't even the first time I had been in the region or unlocked the statue of the 7 because I ran thru to do the Lisa quests a couple weeks ago

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

This morning I realized I had to stop stalling on content and actually go to Inazuma and complete all the archon quests just to do the Windblume events, which fine whatever I'll rush through the main storyline and do all the side stuff later

But in the cutscene where I was chasing down a treasure hunter with Kazuha before boarding the ship, my traveler died to one of those water fireflies in the middle of a cutscene really slowly and I didn't even know that was possible so lol at the camera constantly panning to an empty screen or Paimon floating around by herself

Thoma is really cool though, I like him

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

This really is just a dumb thing to complain about but I hate that most of the new events are always for people who have made it to the end of the current story quest because I've had to skip through the entirety of Sumeru and Inazuma just to play with pokemon rocks and see the windblume event but I guess that's exactly why the events are like this, to keep people playing for fear of missing out

I've ended up just skipping all the dialogue for the archon quests to speed things up and I've still probably spent like 10 hours catching up from the end of Liyue

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Does "overworld is easy you can literally use the worst character in the game" only apply to people who have been AR 55 for the last two years because Scaramouche boss fight is not easy at all for me who has only been catching up as the most casual player for the last two months. Raiden wasn't a cake walk either. I don't have months of grinding the best artifacts or talents for characters

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Endorph posted:

i mean overworld boss fights favor specific characters due to their specific mechanics, they arent really general measures of power
I'm just trying to complete the archon quests

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Endorph posted:

if you're just trying to complete the archon quests you usually just wanna go with a healer or shielder and then a team with diverse enough elements that elemental shields/gimmicks dont gently caress you
Yeah I have those, but I also spend all my time catching up so holding left-click on Hu-Tao with Zhongli shield really isn't that effective when I haven't spent 20 hours getting gear for them

I feel like everyone says "this game is so easy" as long as you've spent months grinding artifacts/talents/weapon level up material and making sure you've spent all 150 resin every single day for the last 10 months

I know how the mechanics work, I just don't want to spend 20 minutes fighting the wolf boss

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 4, 2023

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

TV Zombie posted:

I never knew this( I don’t use hu Tao). I thought she was a sought after healer. This seems like a significant negative.
She does a lot of damage, way more damage than anyone else in my party but she's a very fragile girl who just eats like a fifth of her health every time she uses her burst.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I'm close to 80 pity so I guess I'm rolling on Nahida and hoping I don't lose the 50/50. I guess if I lose I'll just play Alhaitham instead of Keqing because Collei and Traveler are okay at spreading Dendro but not really amazing at it

and I've also got a C6 Fishl that I could use with Alhaitham

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

How much money have you spent that you're maxing out multiple 5* characters

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Space Opera posted:

You'll get these lock outs from time to time, so it's a good reason to keep your quest log cleaned up and don't start character quests until you're ready to do them. There's an icon on the upper part of the screen that will indicate if you're currently locked out of co-op.
That's nice and all but sometimes character quests just start if you walk too close to them

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Space Opera posted:

I should have clarified, I meant the ones you unlock with keys in the quest sub menu. I think quests that can trigger automatically based on proximity are all archon quests. You can't accidentally start Nilou or Dehya's quests just by wandering around Sumeruu, you gotta unlock them via the menu first.
Yeah but if you're like me and catching up there's a huge backlog of story quests to pickup and you've got to spend keys to get more keys so at this point there's probably 8 or more time bombs sitting around Sumeru and Inazuma

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

MarcusSA posted:

Speaking of the talking bits which language are people using?

Piamon is cringe AF in English but not terrible in Chinese. Problem is a lot of the other Chinese voice work seems really flat and lifeless.
The only time I got annoyed with the voice acting was how much Zhongli just talks. It's nonstop if he's in your party, every idle animation/dialogue is an essay

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Shinji2015 posted:

She was good in Windblume once it was just her and Collei, but they really need to edit her lines better
Once I started reading the lore some characters became a lot more endearing, Fischl especially but I'm glad Sucrose picked up a TCG and found a friend in Collei too

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

UHD posted:

i smile every time fischl breaks character
Fischl acting like a spoiled princess and Oz apologizing for it is also pretty funny. Poor Fischl just wanted to LARP and got bullied for it so the gods sent her a vision and Oz and then she just became one the most competent member of the Adventure's Guild in Mondstat

e: also Mona and Fischl are so fun together, Fischl is just so upset that she got fleeced by an astronomer who inherited a nice house and she's pissed about it especially when Oz is like "hey get back in character" and Fischl is still so irritated that her LARPing sounds sarcastic

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 21, 2023

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

MarcusSA posted:

I pulled Nahida but I can’t even use her because I don’t have any of the poo poo unlocked to ascend her lol
It does kind of suck if you're new and unlock a cool new character whose materials are a thousand miles away, or even worse a character that needs Inazuma mats

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I like when the traveler gets a little sassy or fed up with things but it doesn't happen often enough and it's a shame that they just don't voice all the traveler's lines. I also dunno why they didn't just record lines that say Lumine or Aether as if the name of your MC is that important at all

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Space Opera posted:

I want to say your Twin uses Lumine/Aether in the one scene they had together, implying that your MC name is just a pseudonym they use in Teyvat.
I'm assuming that reason is because they had to record the voice-lines for both travelers anyway and the reason they don't do it for every other line in the game is :effort:

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Mona is really fun early on because of her sprinting turning you into water and letting you glide across it, you just need a lot of stamina to make it useful

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

ReVerve posted:

I have a screenshot from that event type you mentioned with Yelan aiming and her left eye is closed.

Stupid answer for yourself. I think you would be able to use the uh 'technique' I did for getting a screenshot of Nahida's E pointed toward the camera.

Setup: Need an unused Sumeru plant that spits out the zipline points and steals camera control. General notion of where the camera will point during the camera takeover.

Stupid technique: You still have control over the character during the forced camera scene of the zipline points getting set. So slap the plant with dendro, immediately swap to archer of choice and finally have 'fun' getting them in position.

Checked right quick and Gorou and Faruzan also close an eye.
I hope Fischl closes her open eye even though I'm pretty sure her eyepatch is aesthetic to begin with

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

My PC bricked so I just started fresh on a PS5. I apologize for complaining about coming back to this game after not playing it over a year, it's much worse as a total newbie.

Since I've done the main story before I could breeze through but there were multiple points I got time-gated and had to look up world quests or just wander around for chests to be at the AR level to continue the story.

Mihoyo really needs to re-work the starting player experience. If you roll on banners and get an Inazuma character you're not going to be able to level them up for a long, long time and if you've got a Sumeru character you've got to run across a massive map to run across to pick stuff up

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Since I've started fresh on the PS5 I've been gifted a C3 Chongyun and a Wolf's Gravestone on a free to play account and idk how I'm supposed to feel about this because altho I like his aesthetics and all doesn't he really suck as main DPS? I'm running hyperbloom with Dendro MC/Kirara/Barbara/Lisa anyway

I've also been given a C2 Heizou which is just bizarre because he's not on any banners right now and I got three pulls on him on a F2P but he's entirely useless since I can't go to Inazuma for a while

This account is so cursed. Mostly pulling weapons over characters and when I do they're all constellations for the same two guys

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I had way more issues with the Lawachurl in the third phase of melting the shards because I wasn't paying close enough attention and never saw the torches and thought it was a dumb, annoying DPS race that I couldn't win. Felt dumb after I figured out they were just hiding under chunks of Ice and defeated it next attempt.

If you've got the option to pull for Kirara and haven't yet I definitely would, she's hands down the most fun I've had with a single character in the game and after watching that video posted a page or two back I realized how absurd just throwing up Barbara's heal then bussing into large groups of enemies is. Generates one Dendro bomb, per enemy, every .5 seconds with a bus that lasts about 10 seconds so you can just spin in circles and then annihilate enemies.

Kirara has single-handedly turned Ocenoid into my favorite boss because Kirara just melts her.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

No Wave posted:

You dont understand. Some players feel that any references to the TCG in game is like a slap to the face.
I was browsing reddit and saw a thread of people complaining that the TCG was ruining their immersion because it "doxxed" the Anemo and Geo archons lol

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Incoherence posted:

It is kinda weird in-universe that there's a TCG with actual people's likenesses in it, including some people like Sucrose who aren't otherwise particularly prominent. They do avoid saying the names of actual cards, so it's possible that the characters have different names in-universe?
I'd say anyone with a vision is probably a prominent person even if they don't do much in-game, I don't recall many people that aren't PC's having them to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

UHD posted:

it's cool to take breaks from a game every so often. you can come back later if you want, it isn't going away anytime soon.
It's how I treat WoW too, skip a couple months or a year and suddenly there's another 30-50+ hours of content to catch up on. since I started over I'm already at Inazuma but still getting time-gated because of AR level and I don't really want to just run around collecting chests all day so if you're a new player in genshin it feels like legitimately a year's worth of content just to catch up to what's going on and by the time you do another country's going to be out