Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I have heard that missed payments before the end of the year will not be considered defaults, but rather the loan will be considered as in forbearance, extending the maturity date of the loan by one month. Is that right?

I have a payment due next week that I am considering skipping to pay another expense instead. I don’t want to do it, however, if it will be reported as a missed payment. Is this a reasonable procedure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
In general, student loan processing companies don't report late payments until you're 90 days due, and Biden has delayed actual reporting on missed payments until Sept 24th. Missing a single payment will do you absolutely no harm as far as the major credit bureaus go. You'll can pay it eventually, or drop a proper forbearance/deferment on it, or you can ride a single month late until your loan pays out. Credit Karma somehow seems to get their information on that early from the reports of some borrowers, but it's not because loan processing companies are reporting it to equifax and the like. I suspect this is a private bank issue.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
My wife’s loans are in deferment again until the end of December to recalculate. The 0% $0 payments are counting against pslf.

She’s seeking a refund on payments made, but this means she has seven months of actual payments left. Recertification on her physician salary is due on May. So I don’t know how long that will take to process. This whole time the payments is based on when she was in training. And then the pslf paper work to forgive will obviously take six or so months but that would be refunded.

Once the loans are forgiven (about $250k), she is free to do what she wants. I think she wants to see where her career takes her first.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

At this point everything is just straight-up bizarre. I had my old loans from when I was in college in the 90s-00s forgiven because of having made regular payments for however many years. I consolidated the remaining loans (which I had from when I went back and actually finished school from 2018-2021). I made a couple of months of payments on those, and now I'm getting informed that one of them is being forgiven, too.

I'm fully expecting this to turn out to be a mistake, so I'm gonna keep money ready to make payments should they end up saying "oops" a few months from now. But at this point I've had over 27k forgiven this year.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Just had a really cold, dark feeling. Ever since payments resumed, I haven't been enrolled in autopay on MOHELA (or making manual payments) as my amount owed has been $0.00.

Please, please tell me I haven't needed to have been actually making payments of 0 for it to have counted toward PSLF.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Framboise posted:

Just had a really cold, dark feeling. Ever since payments resumed, I haven't been enrolled in autopay on MOHELA (or making manual payments) as my amount owed has been $0.00.

Please, please tell me I haven't needed to have been actually making payments of 0 for it to have counted toward PSLF.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSLF/comments/176wlk2/does_paying_0_count/

a previous poster here had the same question and the answer is that you are fine. and here it is straight from the dept of ed's mouth:

https://studentaid.gov/help-center/answers/article/monthly-idr-payments-of-zero-count-toward-pslf-payments

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
doing God's work craig

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Craig K posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSLF/comments/176wlk2/does_paying_0_count/

a previous poster here had the same question and the answer is that you are fine. and here it is straight from the dept of ed's mouth:

https://studentaid.gov/help-center/answers/article/monthly-idr-payments-of-zero-count-toward-pslf-payments

Oh thank god.

I have set a time in my head that May 2025 is when I'll finally be able to leave this job and move on to something I actually want to do, so that feeling that I'd have to add more months to that was making me feel very sick.

Almost there. Just need to push through one more year and a few months.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Framboise posted:

Oh thank god.

I have set a time in my head that May 2025 is when I'll finally be able to leave this job and move on to something I actually want to do, so that feeling that I'd have to add more months to that was making me feel very sick.

Almost there. Just need to push through one more year and a few months.

Just enough time for Trump to be reelected and to appoint someone to ED to gently caress it all up again.

My servicer changed from fedloan to mohela and man has it been great! They messed up my idr request, their website is a nightmare to use, their hold times are insane. And to top it all off every month I get a different bill. One month its 250ish another 150ish another 0 another 500! Would love to know why or how they're actually calculating any of this or if they've finally processed the idr request successfully (they say they have and yet different payments each time) but it's impossible to get ahold of anyone.

Even the not reporting to the credit bureaus thing seems to be opaque. ED says they shouldn't report it but also says they can't stop them from doing so.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Mohela is the worst and I transferred my loans away from them when consolidating.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
When is the next timeline of news for Pell grant borrowers? Is the White House still attempting to do more targeted proposals?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

sent off that SAVE paperwork today, if it goes through i might have all of my student loans forgiven. we'll see! time to hurry up and wait

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I have a question about the order of operations for consolidating / PSLF. I've been working at a PSLF-eligible job since I started paying off my loans (since 2017) but never enrolled in PSLF because my loan was small enough that it didn't save any money. Between the new plans and the COVID pause counting as payments, I actually would save money on PSLF.

Am I correct that if I consolidate before the end of April, I can enroll to PSLF and retroactively count everything from 2017 through now as PSLF payments? My previous payments were all on a 10-year standard plan for what it's worth.

If so, the part I'm particularly confused by is the order of operations: does one of my loans need to be enrolled in PSLF before consolidation so the consolidated loan can actually inherit the PSLF status? I'm worried if I consolidate now the waiver won't apply to me

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
My SO had 11 loan sequences totaling about $100k and hit the 120th payment in November. The account has been in administrative forbearance since then. March rolled around and instead of discharging all of them, they discharged half of the loans and left the others to sit. Today, 4 more have dropped off, but there is still 1 remaining. Almost there. Not sure why they are doing bits at a time instead of discharging them all simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

Bloodplay it again posted:

My SO had 11 loan sequences totaling about $100k and hit the 120th payment in November. The account has been in administrative forbearance since then. March rolled around and instead of discharging all of them, they discharged half of the loans and left the others to sit. Today, 4 more have dropped off, but there is still 1 remaining. Almost there. Not sure why they are doing bits at a time instead of discharging them all simultaneously.

Each one is a light dare to the judicial system that was put in place to thwart this sort of thing to see if they do anything