Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I got a bill for $1100 a few weeks ago so finally got around to putting in my certification and SAVE application last night, which I now sort of regret because I missed until afterwards that my $1100 bill was due in 2040. WTF?

The thing I can see causing weird glitches in the system is I was in unlimited forbearance before this because I had a loan challenge in that DeVos shelved and then the class action that happened made it so I didn’t have to pay until the lawsuit was resolved, and I was part of the settlement on that lawsuit so they wiped $60,000 of loans (still have $80k of grad loans), which happened while everyone was in extended forbearance, but I’m interested to see where this all lands now…

Made the first payment on my wife’s loans last night though. She got auto-converted to the SAVE plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Ahahaha. First few days on the phone at student loan processing company. It is absolute chaos over here and agents are being thrown into the deep dark woods in hopes they manage to learn survival skills while being chased by wolves. 3-4 thousand calls in queue at anytime. No executive formula on how to handle this, and people waiting in 2-3 hour queues to be told 'yes, really. The DoE said you'll be sent a letter if you qualify for the newest rounds of 'we just cleared out the bins of student loans that should've been waived ages ago for legit reasons, but fell through the cracks'. We have no idea if you're qualified for this or not. Have a good day :D

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

So with the SAVE program. It mentions loans forgiven after 10 years of payment. Is that retroactive? I've been paying on my for 16 years.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Alterian posted:

So with the SAVE program. It mentions loans forgiven after 10 years of payment. Is that retroactive? I've been paying on my for 16 years.

It should be. I had a little over $12k in loans I'd been paying on for 20 years forgiven under the new cutoff date for a different payment plan.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Loans at or under 12k are forgiven after 10 years, then each thousand borrowed after that increases the timeline until you're at 20 years.

And then:

https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/idr-account-adjustment

ED will conduct a one-time adjustment of IDR-qualifying payments for all William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program and federally owned Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loans.

The account adjustment will count time toward IDR forgiveness, including

any months in a repayment status, regardless of the payments made, loan type, or repayment plan;

12 or more months of consecutive forbearance or 36 or more months of cumulative forbearance;

any months spent in economic hardship or military deferments in 2013 or later;

any months spent in any deferment (with the exception of in-school deferment) prior to 2013; and

any time in repayment (or deferment or forbearance, if applicable) on earlier loans before consolidation of those loans into a consolidation loan.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Lets see what happens then. I submitted it yesterday and it's in review. I have about $13600 left. I have about a year before I have 10 years towards a pslf discharge.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
I submitted my IDR SAVE plan request in August and received notification that it was received by Aidvantage a few days later. The amount listed that is due on 10/21 is the amount that it would be under the standard repayment plan. I've emailed Aidvantage multiple times with no response, and gave up calling after spending 2 hours on hold.

I can afford to pay the higher amount out of savings for a couple months at most, but I budgeted for a much lower monthly payment. What can I do at this point? Just keep calling and hope that whoever eventually picks up is able to help? I don't really have time to sit around for hours on end on hold.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
If you just don’t pay while you’re getting hem to figure it out it won’t go on your credit score. They’re supposed to not penalize missed payments until like next summer.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Feds just announced today that backlogs on IDR are so insane they're automatically signing people up for forbearances while they straighten things out with their IDR. Yeah, you'll be fine.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.

killer_robot posted:

Feds just announced today that backlogs on IDR are so insane they're automatically signing people up for forbearances while they straighten things out with their IDR. Yeah, you'll be fine.

Can you link to that for me please? That sounds great.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Weirdly my IDR was like half what it said it would be.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Very weird that your IDR SAVE application is taking so long. I submitted to Aidvantage in September and got approved and notified with everything updated two days later. Might be something up with your paperwork.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I work at a student loan's processing center. The standard method of getting IDR set up is we give you paperwork, you return paperwork, we do our thing, eventually you get your results back. Since IDRs are so backed up likely going to have a pay date between those two dates so an administrative forbearance is being automatically applied for 2 months even if you'd otherwise not be eligible for it, instead of them being processed on a case by case basis with the assumption that the paperwork will be processed in a timely fashion. I'm not sure how long that's going to last. It's an emergency measure.

Not finding any direct links to that thing about automatic forbearance applied to IDR. Something that came up at work and supes were "Yeah yeah, just tell them they're going to be automatically applied and don't worry about it. That's all done on the Back End."

I have no idea why that IDR has been sitting idle since August. You really need to call your processor and ask wtf.

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 10, 2023

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
So there was the weirdness where I got a bill for $1100 that wasn’t due until 2040 and then I certified and applied for SAVE and yesterday my payment updated to be due in November and it was about $550. Today I got a notification I had a message (despite there being no inbox in the portal) and my payment is now $950. Uuuggghhh. Based on the posts here I really don’t want to call to figure it out right now.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

BonoMan posted:

I was on the phone with Mohela for 5 hours the other day. 5 actual hours and we *finally* got my weird consolidation situation...well... not solved - but they figured out what happened.

I was with Mohela with my FFEL loan. I consolidated and chose to keep Mohela as my servicer. They chose AidVantage as the servicer for the consolidation.

Normally the consolidation takes less than 30 days and the borrower doesn't pay on the loan before it's consolidated. Since I did it during the height of the forgiveness deadline, it took 6 months. I paid off about $4,000 in that time frame.

Over the past 6 months during my calls, Mohela swears they posted a refund to the servicer (which wouldn't make sense anyway... that should have gone to me).

They finally figured it out... they refunded my money to Sallie Mae. Whom I have never used. Ever. After finally getting this all escalated they determined that Sallie Mae was never an underwriter or guarantor or servicer of my loans forever and ever amen.

And they have no idea how my money got refunded to them. "As bad as this may seem... the person maybe just had the wrong account up on his screen?"

So now they FINALLY are working to get my poo poo refunded to my account. almost a year after it happened. Yeesh.

Get that poo poo backdated. You’ve paid interest on that 1000 dollars where the payment did not get applied.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RoboBoogie posted:

Get that poo poo backdated. You’ve paid interest on that 1000 dollars where the payment did not get applied.

It was $4,000!

But before I even brought it up she said "and because I know you're about to ask this question, any interest paid on that amount will get refunded as well."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So how exactly does the SAVE plan zeroing out the payment work in terms of interest? My brother applied and qualified for a payment of $0 but also got a notice about the interest. The interest benefit seems to work as long as you make a monthly payment but if the scheduled payment is nothing then uh….. what happens?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So how exactly does the SAVE plan zeroing out the payment work in terms of interest? My brother applied and qualified for a payment of $0 but also got a notice about the interest. The interest benefit seems to work as long as you make a monthly payment but if the scheduled payment is nothing then uh….. what happens?

If you are on SAVE and you have a $0 payment, then it covers your interest payment entirely. No interest will accrue.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I changed from IBR to SAVE and was expecting the outstanding interest to capitalize but MOHElLA sent a letter that any interest that would normally capitalize won't as part of payment restart. 1.5 years to go until PSLF forgiveness.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

BonoMan posted:

It was $4,000!

But before I even brought it up she said "and because I know you're about to ask this question, any interest paid on that amount will get refunded as well."

sorry cant read

I hope you gave that person a bigups for being proactive.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Applied for SAVE like 6 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything from MOHELA and they're expecting a payment over the weekend. I'm currently unemployed so now I'm trying to get on the phone to get them to do the administrative forbearance until my application gets processed and wait times are over 2 hours lol.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I was on the phone for over 5 hours when I was dealing with my situation above. Five literal hours (I took a screenshot of the call timer lol).

And this was AFTER waiting 2 hours for a call back, then got on a hold for 30 minutes... then accidentally disconnected. Ridiculous.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeaah. Hold lines are crazy. And I feel them to everytime some client asks to be transfered to x department and I have to sit on the line with them as a warm transfer >_< (Which, of course, also ties me up as an agent who could be doing something constructive with their time. But Never Cold Transfer.) Execs made a big point of 'wishing we could have trained a bunch of noobs starting in August, but dontcha know the govt didn't give us funding/clearance to do that so here we are'. Take that with whatever amount of salt you prefer as a chaser.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I'm in an odd piece of limbo right now. I submitted a consolidation application for the few remaining loans I have left, and while studentaid.gov says that it is still in review, my servicer (EDFinancial) now shows all of my remaining loans as "consolidated" with a $0 balance. It also doesn't show the new consolidation loan. So it almost looks like everything is paid off. I'm waiting for the consolidation loan to show up so I can make sure I've got my auto pay set up for the right date and amount. Also, the consolidation hit my account 48 hours after they took the first payment for the loans after the payment pause ended. Hopefully that payment will go towards the new loan, since it doesn't seem that it lowered the balance of anything before that loan hit.

I'm lucky enough to be in a good place financially so this isn't much more than a mild inconvenience as this all gets worked out. So I'm just going to sit back and trust the process, waiting for an email and not logging in every day in hopes that something has changed.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Nelnet I guess doesn't want to use the IRS access I signed for and now wants to to upload income from 2017 to now.

Why what I made in 2017 is relevant is beyond me.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Xinlum posted:

Nelnet I guess doesn't want to use the IRS access I signed for and now wants to to upload income from 2017 to now.

Why what I made in 2017 is relevant is beyond me.

What, exactly, are you trying to do?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Question, I've seen that PAYE email about applying and seeing if it can lower my monthly rate. Can it raise how much you have to pay if you make a decent amount (Regardless of your current debt amounts)? Or will it just say "sorry, you don't qualify for a reduced rate"?

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's absolutely baked into the math for the program for an IDR that that can happen, yes. I had to advise a single with no dependents that his income of 80k meant his IDR was going to increase his rates the other day..

Keep in mind with any IDR you're trading a (hopefully) smaller sum to be paid off in 20 years rather than 10, with interest kicking in all that time. Even if an IDR does cut your rates, you might be better off dealing with your student loans and just paying them off, rather than paying 10 more years at a 'reduced' rate.

Also, you might want to play with the loan calculators at studentaid.gov and see if consolidating into a save plan is better for you, keeping in mind it resets the payments made on your account.

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 23, 2023

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LanceHunter posted:

I'm in an odd piece of limbo right now. I submitted a consolidation application for the few remaining loans I have left, and while studentaid.gov says that it is still in review, my servicer (EDFinancial) now shows all of my remaining loans as "consolidated" with a $0 balance. It also doesn't show the new consolidation loan. So it almost looks like everything is paid off. I'm waiting for the consolidation loan to show up so I can make sure I've got my auto pay set up for the right date and amount. Also, the consolidation hit my account 48 hours after they took the first payment for the loans after the payment pause ended. Hopefully that payment will go towards the new loan, since it doesn't seem that it lowered the balance of anything before that loan hit.

I'm lucky enough to be in a good place financially so this isn't much more than a mild inconvenience as this all gets worked out. So I'm just going to sit back and trust the process, waiting for an email and not logging in every day in hopes that something has changed.

Well, my consolidation loans are finally showing up for my servicer. There's a new wrinkle, though: They are currently showing as needing a payment of $1 each, on a 180 payment plan. Don't know how that happened. I certainly wouldn't mind having essentially no payments and everything vanishing in 15 years. That amount wasn't anywhere near what SAVE or IDR payments were going to be for me, though. I'll give it another couple of weeks to sort out, and presumably there will be a more accurate payment amount happening soon.

Also, the previous payment that was taken out for October still seems to be missing (it didn't go towards the old loans before they were cancelled and it hasn't gone towards the consolidation loans either). Maybe they're gonna cut a check back to me?

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
This new swing at student loans: https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/biden-administration-proposes-new-student-debt-relief-plan-who-can-qualify/

quote:

The Department of Education released a student debt relief proposal that would target four categories of borrowers:

* Those with federal student loan balances that exceed the original borrowed amount
* Those with loans that entered into repayment 25 years ago or more
* Those with loans for career training programs that led to "unreasonable debt loads or provided insufficient earnings
* Those who are eligible for forgiveness under other repayment plans but have not applied for it

I know the details are still iffy, but the first point is intriguing. Does that mean people whose current outstanding bill is greater than what they borrowed, or people who already paid back more than the value of their principal?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
man i really hoped the second attempt might affect more than just fringe cases but if this is the best we can hope for I guess that's it for the majority of us.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

T Zero posted:

This new swing at student loans: https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/biden-administration-proposes-new-student-debt-relief-plan-who-can-qualify/

I know the details are still iffy, but the first point is intriguing. Does that mean people whose current outstanding bill is greater than what they borrowed, or people who already paid back more than the value of their principal?

the first way would have to be time capped to some extent, probably 10-15 years? Everyone's balance gets higher at first, you start collecting interest immediately but don't have to pay for 6 months. My sincere guess is that it's B.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
My wife’s payment last month was $300 and this month it’s $900. Meanwhile I filled out the SAVE application and my payment was initially listed at $500, then the next day it was $900, and then 10/31 it changed to $1,800. So I think at this point I need to call.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
so around august or september i set up the payment plan with mohela to start in october. but i check in october and the payments are set at 0?? so i end up going back to the federal loan and i guess they considered my application as not done. so i do the application, by which i mean i select the new idr plan. no response back. not sure what i should do. mayne see if i can just start dumping payments regardless?

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
FREEDOM!!!!!!

My wife's PSLF forgiveness kicked in and over $100,000 in debt gone! That sword is no longer dangling over our heads.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Liquid Chicken posted:

FREEDOM!!!!!!

My wife's PSLF forgiveness kicked in and over $100,000 in debt gone! That sword is no longer dangling over our heads.

Congrats!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Liquid Chicken posted:

FREEDOM!!!!!!

Good job goon! I think that calls for a fancy dinner.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Liquid Chicken posted:

FREEDOM!!!!!!

This is awesome and I am sure feels amazing.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Liquid Chicken posted:

FREEDOM!!!!!!

Congrats! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Meanwhile I actually ADDED $10K to my loan. I consolidated to a federal loan, hoping for the $10K in relief. That didn't happen and $10K of interest actualized and was added to my principal.

:suicide: