Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
IMO the PSLF process is horribly documented and a little confusing. I have yet to find any single source of information that says things like “do this, then this.” Seems like maybe all the processes (application and loan consolidation) can be done in parallel? That’s what I’m doing now, and hope it doesn’t gently caress my chances up.

My story is I consolidated my loans in 2007 and it turns out after the fact it’s the “wrong kind of loan” to qualify for PSLF, so I’ve applied for re-consolidation through MOHELA.

DoE says the application was sent to MOHELA (I did t last month) but as yet MOHELA’s site has no record of me whatsoever. I’m guessing I just gotta trust the wheels are turning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My loan consolidation with MOHELA just went through. That was faster than expected, so that’s nice. I’ve already filed for PSLF but I am still anxious I didn’t do something right, since there really is no clear, published order of operations.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well, this is crappy, if I’m reading this correctly. MOHELA states that while Im technically eligible for PSLF, I can go gently caress myself for the foreseeable future.

I started paying on my student loans in… 2006-2007, after consolidating them with Nelnet, shortly after I got my degree.

When PSLF was originally announced, I submitted my form and was rejected because apparently my consolidation loan through Nelnet was the wrong kind of loan. Which I thought was lovely, since there was no way to know a given consolidation loan type in 2006 would not cut the mustard years later when they came up with PSLF.

In this latest go-round, with all the talk of making things less Byzantine so that people might actually qualify this time, I resubmitted everything and reconsolidated through MOHELA.

I just got a letter from MOHELA telling me that I have 119 qualifying payments remaining. So it seems like I’m back to square one again, despite having worked in the public sector and faithfully paying off my loan for the last 16 loving years.

I’m a little discouraged. Is it worth it to dredge up my Nelnet payment history and appeal their payment count calculation?

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Illusive Man posted:

Not sure if you're still looking at this thread, but did you ever get any update to this? My PSLF application finally processed, but so far is only showing payment history from after I consolidated to Mohela. I'm assuming they're still working through my payment history with prior servicers but I wish the language were a little more clear.

I did, finally, two days ago. I was happily surprised to get another letter from MOHELA stating that they'd completed their review of my payment history and all my current outstanding loan balances were forgiven. I was in the exact same boat as you. I'd been sort of avoiding calling them to appeal their earlier findings, since I was dreading spending hours on hold only to be told to gently caress off or whatever, but either there was some second phase of loan analysis they completed, or maybe it took them a bit to get the data from Nelnet. In any event, my outstanding balances all read $0.00, so I'm pretty pleased about it.