Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Will the loan forgiveness be automatically applied to the amounts one still owes on their loans, as in there's no application process to get it to happen? My loans were federal and have been traded between several different loan servicers.

Also, I recieved 1 Pell Grant for a small amount back during the Great Recession. Most of my loans were not Pell Grants. Would I only get the 10,000 forgiveness plus enough to cover the Pell Grant portion, or does 1 small Pell Grant qualify you for the entire 20,000 (Or whatever you have left)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Bonoman posted:

I don't know about the second part, but for the first part I believe if you've been diligently filing your taxes and the have all your info on file... then the forgiveness should happen automatically.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

1) If the DOE has your income information on file (you are on IBR, you filed out a FAFSA form in the last two years, you submitted your income/tax returns to the DOE for income verification or any other reason, etc.) then it will be automatic.

If not, then you have to go online and sign a form "affirming" that you did not make more than $125k/$250k in 2020 and 2021, put in your personal information, and submit it through there.

2) Yes, you should get $20k forgiven. All you need is to have received a Pell Grant at some point.

Sweet, thanks guys. This'll help quite a bit.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I have not seen any such email, will have to ask the wife who similarly applied.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Question, I've seen that PAYE email about applying and seeing if it can lower my monthly rate. Can it raise how much you have to pay if you make a decent amount (Regardless of your current debt amounts)? Or will it just say "sorry, you don't qualify for a reduced rate"?