Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
So my wife had some direct loans we paid off during freeze, all it took was calling the loan folks and asking them to refund. They said it will take about 4-6 weeks to get it back straight to her account and they have no idea how the balance gets paid off after that apparently. Hoping it's automatic like a sane world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

Sorry to bug you guys about this, but could someone share the text of this Atlantic piece where Joseph Stiglitz supposedly shoots down the inflation arguments against student debt?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/08/biden-student-debt-cancelation-stiglitz/671228/

I'm maxed out with free articles and have now hit the paywall.
already done

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Xombie posted:

It's probably more complicated if you no longer have the loan, and would have to call and ask.

It is in fact not more complicated! My wifes loans were 100% paid off. I still just had to call them and ask for refund. Get that money!

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

This Is the Zodiac posted:

If I had a federal loan in default that was eventually offset (years ago) by tax refund withholding, would I be eligible to get any of that money back?

Id say unlikely to no.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Kem Rixen posted:

Read the FAQ and through the thread and couldn’t find a clear answer for a weird question I have. We paid off my wife’s entire student loan in July 2020 and it was worth approximately $30k. From what I read since she had pell grants she would be eligible for a refund of $20k of what we paid. I reached out to Nelnet and they said they couldn’t do a partial refund of my payment, and would have to reopen the loan and pay me back the entire $30k.

Then I could apply to get the $20k forgiven, and after that could use $10k of the $30k I got back to fully wipe out the loan again before loan payments restart in December. My question is, if the loan is reopened today, do we even qualify for forgiveness? Since it’s after the announcement was made I couldn’t find how old the loans had to be to qualify. We qualify under the financial parts.

My follow up question is, does this sound correct or should I call Nelnet for a second opinion?

Thanks in advance everyone, this whole process is very confusing.

You just needed to be making the payments in question DURING the payment freeze. No idea on the refund portion, that probably will be an institution thing so don't see why they'd lie BUT interest rates are still frozen till december so you'll have a window to deal with it all at least.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Has anyone with AIDvantage gotten their money credited back if they re-instated their loans for forgiveness? Shows we owe again but have not received the actual refund yet, not sure how long it's expected to take for that portion.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Wanted to update other Aidvantage folks. We got our money back this morning it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Upgrade posted:

its back open

Got mine in thanks folks.