Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Now only if MOHELA would process paperwork and get PSLF eligible payments updated.

Since my loans moved from FedLoan to MOHELA there have been zero updates to payment counts and it's not even showing August or September as possible payment months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I seem to remember a bunch of people got hosed by DeVos back in the Trump admin in public service forgiveness programs. Has that been righted by the Biden administration?

It wasn't so much people getting hosed directly by DeVos/trump and more that it was an incredibly complicated program with extremely specific requirements, and during the trump admin was the first time anyone could have qualified. Trumo didn't make any helpful changes, but the news around PSLF during the trump admin wasn't really actively their doing.

They did want to get rid of pslf altogether but that would have required an act of Congress

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Applications that didn't meet the extremely specific requirements.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Ok. You asked a question, and I answered as someone who has been following PSLF very closely.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I suppose I didn't answer the second half of the question.

Yes, the Waiver issued that ended in October let people reapply even if their payments didn't meet the requirements of the original legislation, and has helped some people get PSLF issued who had the wrong type of loan or payment. That has ended, but the changes to IBR should help going forward. But for some people that didn't qualify in time for the October waiver deadline, are being hung out to dry.

e: Biden admin has helped some, but not in all the ways they could have.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

T Zero posted:

Is there any downside or risk though?

As long as you don't forget plaything the loan once payments start back up, no.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The Illusive Man posted:

Not sure if you're still looking at this thread, but did you ever get any update to this? My PSLF application finally processed, but so far is only showing payment history from after I consolidated to Mohela. I'm assuming they're still working through my payment history with prior servicers but I wish the language were a little more clear.

MOHELA was in no way ready to transfer all PSLF loans over and they have an absolutely massive backlog. I submitted an ECF in early November and it still hasn't been processed.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The Illusive Man posted:

Posting a quick question here in case anyone has any prior experience or insight.

For PSLF re-certification, is there a firm limit on how frequently you have to re-certify your employment? I ask because I originally applied in late October '22 and had my application approved. The student loans website recommends re-certifying annually (i.e. October '23 in my case) however I will actually meet the full 120 payments in November or December '23.

Basically, just wondering if there's any problem with waiting until November/December to re-certify instead of doing so in October. I need to call Mohela to confirm for sure, just asking here out of curiosity.

You can submit as frequently or infrequently as you'd like. There are no requirements to certify, it'll just make final approval faster if you periodically certify.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Zoph posted:

I'm talking about the change in how it's calculated, i.e., raised to 225% of federal poverty guidelines.

I should call them up, but my understanding is that REPAYE calculates off of both your income and your spouse's, regardless of tax filing status, while my IBR plan calculates off mine alone. We have been filing separately for the last couple years to keep the monthly payment down until I complete PSLF at the end of next year.

I'm in the same boat as you and I took a look at the calculator. For us IBR is lower than REPAYE, but SAVE would be lower than IBR, but won't be available until July 24 so there is no reason to recertify REPAYE. IBR and SAVE don't count spouse income if you MFS, but REPAYE does.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Fell Fire posted:

Got a letter from Mohela saying that my loans are in forbearance through the end of November.

Same but end of October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I changed from IBR to SAVE and was expecting the outstanding interest to capitalize but MOHElLA sent a letter that any interest that would normally capitalize won't as part of payment restart. 1.5 years to go until PSLF forgiveness.