Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
From what I understand NC is going to tax it as well. gently caress me I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

It'll be some weak "now the creditors have to tell you 60 days before they take your house! And they have to file paperwork in triplicate!" half measure.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Those changes weren't really widely publicized so they don't have any momentum behind striking them down. I would guess that most of the people who oppose student loan forgiveness don't actually know how the system works and don't realize that this means people will just be paying pennies anyway. Their entire view on this issue was "giving money to liberals=bad."

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

The Illusive Man posted:

Yeah I’m not sure what ‘new actions’ are actually available. The new IDR plan is already on the cusp of rolling out and the authority to extend the pause was ceded for the debt ceiling.

Would it be realistic for Joe to direct the CFPB to tell credit agencies to ignore unpaid student loan debt like they did for small medical bills?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tying it up in courts doesn't help if they're not also going to extend the payment pause.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Now there is a lawsuit to stop the implementation of the new income driven plan, courtesy of the ghouls at the Cato Institute. The plan is on much more solid legal ground than the forgiveness was, correct?

Edit: I misunderstood the article, the thing being challenged was the forgiveness they gave certain people by counting missed payments as payments. I'm not sure what that means for the rest of the plan.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 5, 2023

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

buglord posted:

Phone posting so sorry for the lack of formatting

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...loan-borrowers/

“Forgive loan balances after 10 years of payments, instead of 20 years, for borrowers with original loan balances of $12,000 or less. The Department estimates that this reform will allow nearly all community college borrowers to be debt-free within 10 years”

So does this mean, no matter how low I bring down my balance (15k currently), I’ll never get my loans automatically forgiven based on time because they were above 12k at some point? My first federal loan was dispensed in 2014, last in 2017, so I’m curious what it all means, or if I’m being too hopeful here.

My read is that they would be automatically forgiven after 20 years instead of 10.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Random question... If my Nelnet account says I don't need to pay until December 2024, I'm good right?

Actually don't even answer. I'm just going to assume that I'm good.

Edit: oh I figured it out. I was due to recertify my loans very shortly after COVID ended up starting. Because of the way restart is being applied, recertification can't take place before March. My recertification would have had to be in December of this year. By the rule, if the recertification would have had to happen this year it gets pushed back a year.

I feel like I dodged about 30 bullets because I'm unemployed right now and have been for most of the year and do not have the money to make a student loan payment. Also, when I recertify next year I'll get to use this year's tax return that says I didn't make any money and I'll basically have another year free.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 4, 2023

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

man i really hoped the second attempt might affect more than just fringe cases but if this is the best we can hope for I guess that's it for the majority of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

T Zero posted:

This new swing at student loans: https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/biden-administration-proposes-new-student-debt-relief-plan-who-can-qualify/

I know the details are still iffy, but the first point is intriguing. Does that mean people whose current outstanding bill is greater than what they borrowed, or people who already paid back more than the value of their principal?

the first way would have to be time capped to some extent, probably 10-15 years? Everyone's balance gets higher at first, you start collecting interest immediately but don't have to pay for 6 months. My sincere guess is that it's B.