Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

BonoMan posted:

I was on the phone with Mohela for 5 hours the other day. 5 actual hours and we *finally* got my weird consolidation situation...well... not solved - but they figured out what happened.

I was with Mohela with my FFEL loan. I consolidated and chose to keep Mohela as my servicer. They chose AidVantage as the servicer for the consolidation.

Normally the consolidation takes less than 30 days and the borrower doesn't pay on the loan before it's consolidated. Since I did it during the height of the forgiveness deadline, it took 6 months. I paid off about $4,000 in that time frame.

Over the past 6 months during my calls, Mohela swears they posted a refund to the servicer (which wouldn't make sense anyway... that should have gone to me).

They finally figured it out... they refunded my money to Sallie Mae. Whom I have never used. Ever. After finally getting this all escalated they determined that Sallie Mae was never an underwriter or guarantor or servicer of my loans forever and ever amen.

And they have no idea how my money got refunded to them. "As bad as this may seem... the person maybe just had the wrong account up on his screen?"

So now they FINALLY are working to get my poo poo refunded to my account. almost a year after it happened. Yeesh.

Get that poo poo backdated. You’ve paid interest on that 1000 dollars where the payment did not get applied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

BonoMan posted:

It was $4,000!

But before I even brought it up she said "and because I know you're about to ask this question, any interest paid on that amount will get refunded as well."

sorry cant read

I hope you gave that person a bigups for being proactive.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
My wife’s loans are in deferment again until the end of December to recalculate. The 0% $0 payments are counting against pslf.

She’s seeking a refund on payments made, but this means she has seven months of actual payments left. Recertification on her physician salary is due on May. So I don’t know how long that will take to process. This whole time the payments is based on when she was in training. And then the pslf paper work to forgive will obviously take six or so months but that would be refunded.

Once the loans are forgiven (about $250k), she is free to do what she wants. I think she wants to see where her career takes her first.