Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

10 am EST is when they will start opinions and (most likely) crush some dreams.

The fact that the decision is being held to the very last minute might actually mean that they'll let it go through. Roberts has grown a lot more conscious of trying to not completely shred the political popularity of the court, so if he's looking at a bunch of decisions from the conservative majority that are gonna get people upset, but he's got a ruling that will let the debt forgiveness happen, then it would make sense to leave that ruling for the very last possible day so that it becomes the main topic of conversation (and drowns out discussion of the other rulings that are less popular).

At the very least, I think if they were going to block the forgiveness, I think Roberts would have had that decision released on the same day as they released the North Carolina decision (since that would slightly placate the conservatives who were so upset).

Then again, maybe I'm really off base here. I guess we'll find out in 8 minutes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Yep, I called that one wrong.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

OAquinas posted:

Plan B.

It might require more legal wrangling to justify, but it could work. Until the next 6-3 decision from our sovereign overlords, that is.

It looks like there's a bunch of poo poo about having to form a committee, get public feedback, and then develop the final plan (which is probably why Biden wasn't able to just say "gently caress it, exact same amount of debt forgiveness but through the HEA", as that would provide evidence that public feedback wasn't utilized).

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Isn’t this literally what Bernie said d to do all the dens shouted as our in the sky impossible?

I think Warren was the one who was talking about going this route. It will be much more of a pain in the rear end, though.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Just had a bit over $12k in old consolidated loans wiped. Dark Brandon taking care of his people.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Alterian posted:

So with the SAVE program. It mentions loans forgiven after 10 years of payment. Is that retroactive? I've been paying on my for 16 years.

It should be. I had a little over $12k in loans I'd been paying on for 20 years forgiven under the new cutoff date for a different payment plan.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I'm in an odd piece of limbo right now. I submitted a consolidation application for the few remaining loans I have left, and while studentaid.gov says that it is still in review, my servicer (EDFinancial) now shows all of my remaining loans as "consolidated" with a $0 balance. It also doesn't show the new consolidation loan. So it almost looks like everything is paid off. I'm waiting for the consolidation loan to show up so I can make sure I've got my auto pay set up for the right date and amount. Also, the consolidation hit my account 48 hours after they took the first payment for the loans after the payment pause ended. Hopefully that payment will go towards the new loan, since it doesn't seem that it lowered the balance of anything before that loan hit.

I'm lucky enough to be in a good place financially so this isn't much more than a mild inconvenience as this all gets worked out. So I'm just going to sit back and trust the process, waiting for an email and not logging in every day in hopes that something has changed.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LanceHunter posted:

I'm in an odd piece of limbo right now. I submitted a consolidation application for the few remaining loans I have left, and while studentaid.gov says that it is still in review, my servicer (EDFinancial) now shows all of my remaining loans as "consolidated" with a $0 balance. It also doesn't show the new consolidation loan. So it almost looks like everything is paid off. I'm waiting for the consolidation loan to show up so I can make sure I've got my auto pay set up for the right date and amount. Also, the consolidation hit my account 48 hours after they took the first payment for the loans after the payment pause ended. Hopefully that payment will go towards the new loan, since it doesn't seem that it lowered the balance of anything before that loan hit.

I'm lucky enough to be in a good place financially so this isn't much more than a mild inconvenience as this all gets worked out. So I'm just going to sit back and trust the process, waiting for an email and not logging in every day in hopes that something has changed.

Well, my consolidation loans are finally showing up for my servicer. There's a new wrinkle, though: They are currently showing as needing a payment of $1 each, on a 180 payment plan. Don't know how that happened. I certainly wouldn't mind having essentially no payments and everything vanishing in 15 years. That amount wasn't anywhere near what SAVE or IDR payments were going to be for me, though. I'll give it another couple of weeks to sort out, and presumably there will be a more accurate payment amount happening soon.

Also, the previous payment that was taken out for October still seems to be missing (it didn't go towards the old loans before they were cancelled and it hasn't gone towards the consolidation loans either). Maybe they're gonna cut a check back to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

At this point everything is just straight-up bizarre. I had my old loans from when I was in college in the 90s-00s forgiven because of having made regular payments for however many years. I consolidated the remaining loans (which I had from when I went back and actually finished school from 2018-2021). I made a couple of months of payments on those, and now I'm getting informed that one of them is being forgiven, too.

I'm fully expecting this to turn out to be a mistake, so I'm gonna keep money ready to make payments should they end up saying "oops" a few months from now. But at this point I've had over 27k forgiven this year.