Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I have about $45k left on my loans split almost evenly between undergrad and grad school loans. Since march 2020, I've paid about 3 grand on undergrad loans, then when i heard there might be forgiveness, i started paying on my graduate loans only, figuring they wouldnt be forgiven. Im also a pell grant recipent, which i think means that im about to have almost all my undergrad loans forgiven.

Is it worth calling my provider and asking for a refund on the post-March 2020 undergrad payments, then reapplying that money to my graduate loans? Or is that unnecessary, since (i think?) the 20k pell forgiveness covers grad and undergrad loans?

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If they are actually split evenly and you're about to get $20k forgiven, then it might be slightly mathematically better to get the refund and apply it to the grad loans, but honestly, it isn't going to make a huge difference.

If you are able to get them both on the IDR payment plan by January 1st (not clear when the new IDR payment plan is going to be available, but they said before the pause ends), then it won't really make any difference at all.

Great, thank you.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Mine came today actually. I contracted great lakes about it three weeks ago tomorrow. The loan servicer website was updated with the new amount about a week before the money showed up in my account.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Just wanted to say thanks a lot for all the actionable info in this thread, hugely appreciated :coolfish:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
So this new IDR. If I'm reading it right, the new approach would cover unpaid interest -- meaning that the full payment would go to the principal every time?

https://studentaid.gov/debt-relief-announcement/ for ease of reference

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
So...how does this play out now? Can they rush it to the Supreme Court before Dec 31? I guess if not it'd make good political sense for Biden to extend the deadline again?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
They're coming in batches, I think. I just got mine this morning.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
It's there for me, but:

Biden posted:

I'm confident that our student debt relief plan is legal. But it’s on hold because Republican officials want to block it.

That's why @SecCardona is extending the payment pause to no later than June 30, 2023, giving the Supreme Court time to hear the case in its current term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Trying to wrap my head around the new interest subsidization under SAVE:

quote:

the proposed rule would fully cover the borrower’s unpaid monthly interest, so that – unlike with current income-driven repayment plans – a borrower’s loan balance will not grow so long as they are making their required monthly payments

So, before the payment pause, my required payment was $400 a month on autopay, and then I was throwing another $100 or so each paycheck to cover the accruing interest for the month so that the $400 would always go to the principal. Does this new rule mean that if I make the monthly required payment (whatever that will be under SAVE's 5% discretionary income limit; I don't know yet), interest won't accrue? That seems too generous to be right.