Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Edward Mass posted:

I just finished paying off my student loans last month :negative:

In all seriousness, Biden's plan makes sense from all sides - the people for which the relief helps the most are the most vulnerable and the end result won't damage anyone who can't absorb it.

I think they’re doing refunds of payments as well :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Zophar posted:

Am I correctly understanding that the raise in discretionary income wouldn't apply to graduate debt holders? What the gently caress. I'm a university-level teacher and this would be the only way any of these changes improve the status quo for me if this is the case.

While it’s unclear, how I read this is the only part that wouldn’t apply to grad loans is the 5% cap, not the other changes. So graduate loans would have the other pieces… but be capped at 10% (of the lower number of discretionary income.)

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

AsInHowe posted:

Where do you see this??

If you’ve voluntarily made payments since the pause (Feb 2020) you can request a refund for those payments

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

its back open