Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Framboise posted:

If I request a refund for the payments I made to Navient and AES during the pause, will the balance I paid return to the account?

Also, is any of the 10k forgiveness or the refund I'd request going to be taxed? May as well brace myself for next year's taxes if so.

I have an FFEL loan with AES and I contacted them about getting my money back for the payments I made during covid and they said I am SOL because its a bank owned loan and I am not eligible for the 20k relief either. This article:
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/26/more-details-emerge-about-biden-federal-student-debt-forgiveness-plan.html

Has this quote in it:
"Even if your FFEL loan is with a private company, all hope may not be lost. An Education Department spokesperson said borrowers with those loans can call their servicer and consolidate them into the Direct Loan Program to become eligible for forgiveness."

I am going to call AES about having my loans consolidated into that type. I really should have done it a year ago. A year and a half from now I will be eligible for the PSLF forgiveness. I held off on consolidating because I hate my job and I didn't know if I could stick it out for (then) 2 1/2 years. I'm still at the same job so I might as well go ahead and do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I just consolidated (through studentaid.gov) to a Direct Loan. I have 3 possible outcomes: its true and this gets grandfathered into the forgiveness and I am good to go, I stick with my lovely job or I get this other job I applied for that is also at a non profit and I'll have them forgiven through PSLF in about a year and a half, or I get this much better paying job I applied for outside of academia and it wouldn't matter because I could easily pay the rest off myself.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I just got a letter about my cosolodation to a direct loan going through. I really hope I can just have this wiped like they hinted at. I didn't get any of the jobs I applied for so I might be stuck with my PSLF job for the last year of the 10 years so at least I have that going before the deadline in a month :sigh:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I consolidated to a direct loan way back in August and its still going through. I have the paperwork saying its been approved, but I am still waiting for studentaid.gov to update. I'm going to still get my PSLF (which friends of mine have determined should mean Pumpkin Spice Latte Fudge) paperwork done at my work this week.

We did the math and my husband and I would owe a combined $1500 in state taxes with the biden forgiveness. He's at the very end of his PSLF journey. He was at the last step when his loans got transferred to mohela or whatever that company is and now its been silent on the progress. He had more than 10 years worth of service. I wouldn't be eligible until Spring 2024. I think he is going to hold out and see his PSLF through, but it would ultimately be cheaper for me to take the Biden forgiveness if I can get it rather than pay a year and a half more of student loans.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I faxed my PSLF paperwork in today. I'm still hoping for Biden forgiveness. The crazy thing is I worked in my industry for 7 years after college before switching to academia and I will be in academia long enough to qualify in a year.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

So with the SAVE program. It mentions loans forgiven after 10 years of payment. Is that retroactive? I've been paying on my for 16 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Lets see what happens then. I submitted it yesterday and it's in review. I have about $13600 left. I have about a year before I have 10 years towards a pslf discharge.