Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

quote:

To address these concerns and follow through on Congress’ original vision for income-driven repayment, the Department of Education is proposing a rule to do the following:

For undergraduate loans, cut in half the amount that borrowers have to pay each month from 10% to 5% of discretionary income.

Raise the amount of income that is considered non-discretionary income and therefore is protected from repayment, guaranteeing that no borrower earning under 225% of the federal poverty level—about the annual equivalent of a $15 minimum wage for a single borrower—will have to make a monthly payment.

Forgive loan balances after 10 years of payments, instead of 20 years, for borrowers with original loan balances of $12,000 or less. The Department of Education estimates that this reform will allow nearly all community college borrowers to be debt-free within 10 years.

Cover the borrower’s unpaid monthly interest, so that unlike other existing income-driven repayment plans, no borrower’s loan balance will grow as long as they make their monthly payments—even when that monthly payment is $0 because their income is low.

OK, someone help me parse this. Most of my debt is from graduate school. And it's significant. So, it looks like I would not qualify for the drop from 10% to 5%. That's fine. But what I'm wondering, is it possible I qualify for the remaining things on this list? The biggest thing for me would be covering the unpaid interest. I'm current on IBR but my payments don't cover the interest. I'm like 7 years in on IBR, which is a 25 year pay off instead of 20... if I'd be eligible for the new program it would be worth switching and "losing" two years worth of credit for payments and getting the interest covered.

Edit: Oh looks like this was covered just a few minutes ago. Cool. I'll be very interested in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU