Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
We did a $25k balloon payment to get rid of my wife's loans a few months ago. Am I to understand that even in our case where there is no current outstanding balance we should (assuming there's not something goofy) be able to get $10k back? That would be huge for our 4 and 6 year olds' futures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Was waiting on guidance from my wife's (former) loan servicer to get $10k of our balloon payment back, so I don't precisely know what she had. What exactly is a "federal loan held by a private lender?"

https://twitter.com/mstratford/status/1575529368302292992?t=KRD6Y42VCM6KDgkYJ1Nplw&s=19

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

They're trying to get it to SCOTUS before anyone actually gets anything in significant numbers and it becomes basically impossible for the mullahs to undo it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Getting sick of the blue balls from nothing being announced by the 8th circuit and each day that passes I get more and more nervous

If they have something to announce on a Friday you're not gonna like it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Very fun how nobody even bothers pointing out that the Democrats have the ability to legislate until January and could just...pass a bill that does this.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

SchrodingersCat posted:

Yeah, I was wondering why they couldn't pass it with budget reconciliation.

President Manchin probably vetoes the gently caress out of monetary relief, at the very least, but I don't know what his argument against repayment reform to stop interest from stretching IBR payments to infinity would be.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Because they can't.

If it doesn't have 60 votes in senate, they don't pass any bills.

Like, don't try to be a reality check and then pretend that reality doesn't exist.

The existence of the 60 vote threshold is a choice.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

A check for 10 grand just showed up in the mail. Did something happen?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

We paid off the remaining $25K in 2021, so this appears to be the $10,000 refund from that. It's from the Department of Treasury. I used their authenticity checker on their website and it's legit, real check. I wasn't part of any settlement. I had just thought they weren't issuing any of these until after the court case, if they won. Honestly I'd written the whole thing off at this point.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

"this refund is being sent due to customer refund req of payment due to covid 19 cares act" I'm pretty sure it's a student loan refund. We haven't applied for anything else.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Barreft posted:

loving cash that thing asap op

LoL rolling straight into the kids' college fund

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Technically you still owe that money btw. You've just been granted a temporary relief from it. Just want to make sure you're aware. This is *not* the forgiveness part!!

I really don't get the sense you know what you're talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

No troll here.

We owed $0 on our student loans after wholly paying them off during the panny to the tune of something like $25k. We applied for the $10k refund, as our understanding was that the refund functioned as forgiveness for people who had paid their poo poo off during the pause. Why would the government be sending people who owe $0 "temporary relief" or whatever?