Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

AsInHowe posted:

Where do you see this??

I actually got a letter about my auto payment that went through a few days after the moratorium began in 2020. After a call, they refunded it via direct deposit in about 10 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A quick and easy way to know is: Did your FFELP loan qualify for the payment pause? If yes, then it 100% does qualify for forgiveness. If no, then there is still a tiny chance, but most likely it does not.

Does anyone know if consolidating an FFELP loan from Navient into federal loans allows payment pause retroactively? I'm guessing no, but hoping yes, because I just got around to applying for consolidation.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Which part? I am 99% sure that if you get a consolidation loan, that it is considered "a new loan" and if you got it after July 2022, then it won't be eligible for forgiveness.

If you consolidate, you usually lose your timely payment incentives or interest rate reductions you may have had on the original loans because it is considered "a new loan," so I would assume it works similarly here.

If Mohela is able to confirm otherwise, then please let us know and share in the thread. I'm assuming they work the same as they usually do, but there may be an exception for this that wasn't on the fact sheet.

Thanks!

This is usually true and will be in the future, but the PSLF waiver allows consolidation until Oct 31 without losing earned payments towards PSLF.

edit: I think I misunderstood the question. It's my understanding that under the PSLF waiver, consolidation created this year doesn't count as a "new loan" like it typically does, and the forgiveness is blanket according to the original age of the loan.

I can't imagine them bothering with baiting and switching the forgiveness after doing the the PSLF waiver to encourage consolidation. It would be more difficult and worse optics for them to do that than just provide the forgiveness.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 25, 2022

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

PitViper posted:

Holy crap. I paid off the last of my student loans in Dec 2020, but made giant payments most of that year because I was "essential" and working 50+ hours a week. Am I eligible to request a refund of those payments and qualify for this?

It's probably more complicated if you no longer have the loan, and would have to call and ask.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

FizFashizzle posted:

Honestly better for that 45-64 demo than I’d expect.

They are the most likely demographic to currently have children with college debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Zophar posted:

Great news but the messaging is a bit confusing. It makes it sound like the pause is extended until 6/30, but if the courts ease up they could start up anytime before then. And in all cases it's another 60 days until they turn back on for real, so wouldn't that make the pause actually until 8/30 at the latest?

It's "whichever is sooner". So they (currently, supposedly) will turn them back on on 6/30, or if the courts decide in their favor, 60 days past the court decision.