Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Am I correctly understanding that the raise in discretionary income wouldn't apply to graduate debt holders? What the gently caress. I'm a university-level teacher and this would be the only way any of these changes improve the status quo for me if this is the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Great news but the messaging is a bit confusing. It makes it sound like the pause is extended until 6/30, but if the courts ease up they could start up anytime before then. And in all cases it's another 60 days until they turn back on for real, so wouldn't that make the pause actually until 8/30 at the latest?

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Easy-ish way out of this is for Biden's DoE to announce that payments are starting back up at .01% of discretionary income and it will stay that way as long as he's President. lovely ruling.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Here's something I don't really understand re: PSLF. I'm currently in the IBR plan and only about 1 year away from being able to apply for forgiveness. It looks like my payment will likely drop a fair amount because of the new calculation rules but it could go lower if I switch to REPAYE. I'm seeing it in some places that the REPAYE plan payments will count toward PSLF but others that say it won't? I would like to get a smaller monthly payment to grind out this last year but I don't want to jeopardize how close I am to finishing, especially since my ticket comes due the literal last month of the Biden admin and don't want some Republican loving with my forgiveness.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Are the adjustments to the discretionary income calculations going to be applied to the existing plans beyond REPAYE and SAVE? I can't really jump over to REPAYE because of my spouse income, it seems, and MOHELA is showing that my monthly payment IBR amount from way back in 2020 is coming due. Are they just slow getting the figures updated, or should I expect to pay the same amount soon?

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

I'm talking about the change in how it's calculated, i.e., raised to 225% of federal poverty guidelines.

I should call them up, but my understanding is that REPAYE calculates off of both your income and your spouse's, regardless of tax filing status, while my IBR plan calculates off mine alone. We have been filing separately for the last couple years to keep the monthly payment down until I complete PSLF at the end of next year.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

MOHELA just mysteriously changed the status of my application for SAVE to "Cancelled." I have no idea what this means?? I submitted my application to them through studentaid.gov and as far as they know it's still in review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

I think it had it resolved earlier today. It seems to have been an error with the application, so I did a new one with MOHELA.