Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I made a few loan payments during the pause and now I'm wondering if I should ask for a refund and just park the money in a high-yield savings account until the forgiveness is sorted one way or the other.

I'd still have a balance even if I received the maximum relief, so it's technically a wash. But between 6% inflation and 3% savings interest, seems like it could yield an advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Is there any downside or risk though?

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
The Republican student loan counterproposal does have a provision that would selfishly benefit me more than the Biden plan: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/house-republicans-introduce-student-loan-debt-plan-rcna89554

quote:

The Federal Assistance to Initiate Repayment Act, led by Republicans on the House Education and Workforce Committee, would provide “targeted” student loan relief for borrowers who “already paid back more than they originally owed taxpayers in principal and interest," streamline several existing income-driven repayment plans into one system and give borrowers in default another chance to rehabilitate their loans.

I don't think this will pass either (and I don't think it's in good faith), but the idea of converting interest to principal payments seems like it might be a basis for a compromise.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
This new swing at student loans: https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/biden-administration-proposes-new-student-debt-relief-plan-who-can-qualify/

quote:

The Department of Education released a student debt relief proposal that would target four categories of borrowers:

* Those with federal student loan balances that exceed the original borrowed amount
* Those with loans that entered into repayment 25 years ago or more
* Those with loans for career training programs that led to "unreasonable debt loads or provided insufficient earnings
* Those who are eligible for forgiveness under other repayment plans but have not applied for it

I know the details are still iffy, but the first point is intriguing. Does that mean people whose current outstanding bill is greater than what they borrowed, or people who already paid back more than the value of their principal?