Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Do we still have to buy that body armor or do we get it for free now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
there is a store called HAPPINESS, where the walls are all plastered in hideous HAPPINESS (black on red background, horribly stretched to fit) in caps, and it's empty

god I love this guy

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Hm I wonder why murdering a popular candidate who wanted the most basic tax policies caused a massive stock boom. Ah oh well I'm sure this isn't a message at all.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

Tombot posted:

Do we still have to buy that body armor or do we get it for free now?
Nope, it's available once found, and acquiring an implant in a mission is somewhat different from acquiring a new weapon, as you do not need to complete the mission to have it registered as you collecting it. So you could go into a level, grab the implant in question, and then leave the level and start using it if it's something you might find valuable.

In fact, you'll see that trick put in action during the next video. There's a good reason for it, too.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

At the end of the previous level it looks like Power in Misery mode suddenly ended, is that an in-game thing or some save-editing?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ending levels in Punishment mode restores Divine Light. I think it was mentioned in the end of Ep 2 but it's easy to forget. I did too.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Part 6: Darkworld

"Sir John Oliver II, the primordial engine of suffering, the punishment encrypter of the lower planes is bored, again. He has requested us to entertain him by breaking into his mansion and killing him. Simple enough, but nobody who enters ever comes out. Finding an exit might prove to be difficult. Remember to bring a flashlight."

We got a lot of money. A LOT. So let's spend it on a ton of implants we'll never use, and go back to earlier missions to find some goodies we never could've found before, including a secret level. The host of Last Yesterday Next Week Tonight Today is bored as poo poo and wants us to kill him. For fun. Because dying and reviving is completely normalized in this world, let alone a town that is so dark you need a flashlight at all times to see.

Weapons

Parasonic C3 DNA Scrambler
"High value targets often have immediate access to body reconstruction services and as such it has become a popular choice to mangle their genetic makeup beyond all repair with a hi-tech weapon like the Parasonic C3."

BN-99
"A mysterious weapon lost to time. Made out of an accursed alloy. Has a unique two shot burst firing mechanism."

Implants
One important note going forward, because we maximized our profits from the stock market, all implants that are only available for purchase were bought at once. The list is quite a lot, like half the total implants there are to equip in the game, and as I don't use all of them due to wildly varying levels of practicality, I'll only be listing implants from here on that are either acquired in mission and/or actually get used as part of the mission loadout.

Eyes of Corporate Insight
Slot: Head
Melt into the ancient power of the markets.

Stealth Suit
Slot: Chest
Uses a coating of newly developed chameleon bacteria to make the user practically invisible up to about 20 universal length units. Has an overbearing stench and because of this the special forces units that make use of these are widely known as shitmen.

Grappendix
Slot: Arms
An additional external intestine for climbing and swinging. Smooth, slick and strong. It pulsates.

Gunkboosters
Slot: Legs
Boost yourself upwards mid-air by releasing a jet of assorted biological detritus. Makes a huge mess that is extremely unpleasant to clean up.

Icaros Machine
Designed for the military future fighter program as an attempt to reconfigure the lienar spatial dimensionality of warfighting but retired after after an entire squad of fully augmented supersoldiers ended up decentering biological life against the pavement.
Jump bonus: 20

Cursed Torch
A strange device with a doomed aura. The light it casts feels wrong.

"It's possible to create an object that radiates pure death, even stronger than the sun. We can only pray that such knowledge remains hidden for aeons to come."
-Ferdinand Sommer the Elder

Ammunition Gland
Your weapons automatically regenerate ammunition but you can no longer reload manually.

Night Vision Goggles
Slot: Head
Regular night vision goggles sensitive to the geometric flow of matter.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Speaking of NVG colours I think there's been a slow change over to blue now as the primary colour for it.
Or that's what the CoD:MW remake went with.
Having used that in some other games via mods I almost prefer it over green.

And White/Black Hot for thermals is getting surprisingly common as well I think.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

For whatever reason, I cannot stand this game. Maybe it’s the visuals that make it seem that it came straight outta a Tijuana Bible for dada. Maybe it’s the (on purpose) bit-crushed to hell and gone audio of everything. Maybe it’s because it stands against accessible game design, what with all the epilepsy warnings (seriously, is there no way to turn off those features? Or at least deaden their impact on my eyeballs?). Maybe it’s because it suffers from what I call “Kojima Syndrome” (where the game is so deep in its themes, style, and messaging that it forgets that all of that is supposed to be human digestible/humans are supposed to actually ENGAGE with those elements). Maybe it’s all one big joke and I’m the only person who isn’t in on it. Maybe it’s all of the above.

I do not know why I don’t like this game, which is sad because I’ve heard stellar things about this game. I REALLY want to appreciate and enjoy this game; it’s just that something is trying to actively keep me from doing so.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
I remember a friend describing this to me. She said it was like looking at vomit while on LSD...and vomiting.

Nice to see she was understating how bad my eyes would hurt watching this.

As an aside, the following guns I could identify real versions of:
-K&H R5: H&K MP5
-Balotelli Hypernova: Beretta Supernova
-K&H X20: H&K G11
-KWS 3000: IWS 2000
-AMG4: MG3
-AS15: USAS-12
-BN99: AN-94

Gideon020 fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 15, 2022

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

HereticMIND posted:

For whatever reason, I cannot stand this game. Maybe it’s the visuals that make it seem that it came straight outta a Tijuana Bible for dada. Maybe it’s the (on purpose) bit-crushed to hell and gone audio of everything. Maybe it’s because it stands against accessible game design, what with all the epilepsy warnings (seriously, is there no way to turn off those features? Or at least deaden their impact on my eyeballs?). Maybe it’s because it suffers from what I call “Kojima Syndrome” (where the game is so deep in its themes, style, and messaging that it forgets that all of that is supposed to be human digestible/humans are supposed to actually ENGAGE with those elements). Maybe it’s all one big joke and I’m the only person who isn’t in on it. Maybe it’s all of the above.

I do not know why I don’t like this game, which is sad because I’ve heard stellar things about this game. I REALLY want to appreciate and enjoy this game; it’s just that something is trying to actively keep me from doing so.

I don't think this game entirely lands for me either, after watching up to now. I'm still curious to see where it goes, but as of now it just doesn't quite hit the mark. I love deliberately, gleefully trash games, but there's not much glee to be found here. The general tone reminds me of some kind of dour Soviet cartoon or something.

I don't understand why the DNA scrambler works; they have that kind of technology and nobody backs up their genome?!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I don't understand why the DNA scrambler works; they have that kind of technology and nobody backs up their genome?!

I think it may be more of a "The target's DNA is so scrambled the system doesn't recognize them at all, so it doesn't register the person dying afterwords". Remember that the flesh mass still makes pain noises when kicked/shot after being scrambled. Or it just puts them into a worse-than-death state where they can't kill themselves.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I think it's easy to state that we are starting to see this game go even further off the rails than before. I suppose another downside to the DNA scrambler gun is how it sorta locks you out of the organ market (at least I assume it does, that's what it looks like at least).

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Randalor posted:

I think it may be more of a "The target's DNA is so scrambled the system doesn't recognize them at all, so it doesn't register the person dying afterwords". Remember that the flesh mass still makes pain noises when kicked/shot after being scrambled. Or it just puts them into a worse-than-death state where they can't kill themselves.

And it likely barely registers them as a person. You can just imagine the genetic recombinator looking at the victim like 'what the gently caress am I supposed to do with this?! Half this poo poo doesn't exist in nature and the bits that do most certainly do not look like that!'

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Randalor posted:

Makes sense. It takes someone out of commission for much longer because now you have to rekill the flesh tree (which takes a bit) and restore from backup, rather than immediately walking out of the respawn point mildly annoyed about the whole affair.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

HereticMIND posted:

I like the concept and 0451 games in general, but the artstyle and the gameplay design make it not my jam. The restrictive limits on weapons/ammo/gear and the high enemy damage and lack of health recovery methods makes the game feel like it really, really emphasizes stealth instead of letting you just kick down the door shooting, and I find doing that pretty cathartic in 0451 games.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

When it comes to the revival mechanic I think it's best not to think about how the magic technology rebuilds not only your body but also your brain in the last working state from just your DNA that can also, under specific circumstances, actually allow your soul to come back, just enjoy its role as incredible violence enabler and enhancer plot / setting device and nod along wisely if it does end up being an actual plot device.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

When it comes to the revival mechanic I think it's best not to think about how the magic technology rebuilds not only your body but also your brain in the last working state
They don't actually need to do this. Since they're building the new brain anyway, they can program it to think it has unbroken continuity from previous versions of itself.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Oh yes, but it needs to be consistent with the other traces it left around it, I guess they could edit your super secret notes in your encrypted digital devices through reading your password in your brain though, but it'd be a little hard to do the same to your friends and family.

Mind you this is not a world with friends and family.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Well, it's a world with friends. After all, a friend got the PC the job! ... I think "friend" is what you call the person who offers to not shoot you for the bounty on your head for twice the bounty fee.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

They don't actually need to do this. Since they're building the new brain anyway, they can program it to think it has unbroken continuity from previous versions of itself.

Aren't people who die once just flesh machines animated by neurotransmitters? So after dying once, it doesn't really matter.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

For what it's worth, someone once told me that they loved Cruelty Squad for allowing the rest of humanity to see how they experienced day to day life.

I'm not sure how I feel about that, but there it is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I too have a grapple beam intestine

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

wiegieman posted:

For what it's worth, someone once told me that they loved Cruelty Squad for allowing the rest of humanity to see how they experienced day to day life.

Im sorry for this person and their nightmare vision eyes

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

wiegieman posted:

I'm genuinely concerned for the mental health of the person who said that and hope they get the help they need.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I guess you need to be plugged in into a certain internet zeitgeist and political twitter to truly "get" this. I have the curse/blessing in that I am at least partially plugged in so I kinda know what the author's getting at.

At its heart this is a critique of the stagnation of capitalist society at its current stage, how the possibility to even imagine an alternative has been eliminated, the creeping monetization, the kind of cyclical repetition of culture with no advancement, what Fisher referred to as the slow cancellation of the future.
The world that cruelty squad imagines is the culmination of these trends, capitalism has gone totally unchallenged, has somehow eliminated death and this has resulted into the ultimate stagnation, a society that wallows in its own poo poo. Everything is garbage because garbage is all that's left, every resource has been exploited and processed, and it's not like we can envision anything new anyway. It's why it looks like that, why everything is a scatological joke etc.
There are spiritual themes also hinted at but probably someone more familiar with those can give an interpretation

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I guess you do, because to me the game comes off as a mockery of those ideas at times! It's like a caricature of a caricature? I sometimes feel like there should be big blinking text in the bottom of the screen saying "THIS IS WHAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY BELIEVE THE FUTURE WILL BE LIKE". I don't mean this to mock the type of person wiegieman mentioned, or anything, just to be clear; I hope they can get help and find some hope for the future. I'm just saying that to me it doesn't seem like it can possibly be intended to be realistic or believable dystopia, it's so deliberately clownified and I thought that was in service of something. Like that maybe we're heading towards the final mission being smashing the servers of not-Twitter and then suddenly the world blinks back into normality or something.

I mean how can it be realistic when you don't even have to pay a subscription fee for the genetic recombinators? Or your bullets. Or your grappendix! No way corporate would miss out on that tasty recurring revenue!

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I get how it deliberately looks and sounds so goddamn repulsive, because that's the message the guy wants to get across. 'hey guys this poo poo sucks! have you noticed? this is where we're heading and it sucks rear end!'

everything looks so ugly and is made of poo poo because that is the endpoint of our current trend of stagnation. everything in society de-volves as the fresh resources needed have run out, and there's just unchallenged corporate power forever casting its shadow on an ever diminishing monoculture. There is nothing left except making money. Hustling and stonks!!! number go up!!! This poo poo loving sucks to live in and that's why everyone sounds so detached and numb. That's why the opening scene has the main character looking down on a random shooting. Plus the whole thing where death is no longer a thing.

And I think the artist in expressing his absolutely seething contempt for everything he is depicting, loving nails it.

I think it's fully earnest in its contempt of current-day capitalism, there are no additional layers of irony. It is just a caustic, contemptuous deconstruction of neoliberal hell. And the spiritual elements probably figure as in what he would like to see more of, or what's required for a new flourishing. But the current road is a dead end.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Basically Cruelty Squad avoids the problem of missing the point of cyberpunk and the horror of a corporation commodifying and transforming your body (something disabled people incidentally already have to deal with in terms of stuff like prosthetics and hearing aids) because those cyber-augments and limbs sure do look really cool.

It does this by making the augments icky flesh instead of shiny chrome and making it clear that the future corporate-owned world is intensely poo poo on both a metaphorical and literal level.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Part 7: Apartment Atrocity

"Now you've done it you freak poo poo. You've hosed up. You're being tracked by the grid. The eye in the sky is watching. We're coming for you. Prepare to die."

The bastards found me. We need to kill our landlord and then form an exit strategy to escape what is the shortest level of the entire game. Which says a lot considering that speed runs can beat the other missions in under a minute, but this one had me straining to fill time and show as much of this apartment building that I felt was worthwhile.

Weapons

New Safety M62
"Standard police issue handgun for more than a hundred years. While more efficient options exist the cops have decided to stick with this due to masculine associations created by the film industry."

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Absolutely cackling at blacksuppositoried and debased. This truly is 2020s internet cults distilled

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I feel like that whole entire level is a reference to something, but I don't know what.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
If a game doesn't have you kill your landlord, it is not cyberpunk.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Part 8: Seaside Shock

"Hey sorry about the last one... Someone fat fingered the social security number of the target and it ended up being you by accident. Just what are the chances? Well, anyway. A group of seasteaders have recently acquired vast fortunes through biocurrency speculation. It wasn't however enough to attain their dream of building an artificial floating island on the open seas, so they've had to settle for a compromise and have purchased their own cruise ship, the 'Titanium Princess'. It is now a den of pathetic losers living out their depraved fantasies. We wouldn't usually care about this sort of thing but a certain governmental agency has offered us a deal that would secure the funding of the risk management department for years to come. They want these guys to be made an example of what happens when you play sovereign so go full hog I guess haha."

You ever have that moment where your job asks if you're still coming in tomorrow even after explaining the current traumatic event you just went through (possibly even caused by them)? I'm sure you have. At least right now we get to dress nice as we kill some more rich assholes who think they're good enough to be their own nation on a cruise ship.

Weapons

Mowzer SP99
"Accurate and extremely silent bolt-action sniper rifle. Perfect for covert and illegal operations. An important symbol of the swamp cultist who claim to receive divine messages from them."

Implants

Extravagant Suit
Only for special occasions. Offers zero protection.

HE Grenade
Regular high explosive hand grenade. Can be used to breach through some locked doors.

Alien Leg Wetware
Simple wetware upgrade to turn off the kick strength limiter. Pulverize your target with incredible power.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Here's the obligatory link to a story about (one of the several bitcoin cruise ships and seastead attempts) the bitcoin cruise ship: It's a story about a bitcoin cruise ship, what did you expect?

Yes, I know too much about this poo poo, no it's not healthy, nothing is healthy anymore.

E: Exercise to the reader: consider the exact nature of a pump and dump scheme involving things named biocurrencies, theorize, expound, then turn in your papers.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 21, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I liked the cruise ship level, I think it was my favorite level just for how open it was. It really did feel like a Hitman Blood Money level with how much dickishness you could get up to in it.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

SIGSEGV posted:

Here's the obligatory link to a story about (one of the several bitcoin cruise ships and seastead attempts) the bitcoin cruise ship: It's a story about a bitcoin cruise ship, what did you expect?

Yes, I know too much about this poo poo, no it's not healthy, nothing is healthy anymore.

E: Exercise to the reader: consider the exact nature of a pump and dump scheme involving things named biocurrencies, theorize, expound, then turn in your papers.

thank you for reminding me of this reference

once more cruelty squad is perfectly on point. absolutely incredible game, doesn't miss at all

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm pretty sure at this point that every single part of this game is a different cry of frustration, sadness and rage at a different, awful, stupid and real thing.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Part 9: Alpine Hospitality

"Ok this is kind of a weird one, I've actually got two jobs for you rather than just one. First and most importantly, some execs of our biggest competing firms have gathered at the Opulent Gstaad Ski Resort to make some kind of business deal. Since they've decided to lock us out of this it can't be anything good, so we've come up with a plan of our own to liquidate these execs before they can cause any harm. We also received a gig from the children of the owner of the hotel, Daniel Mullins. They say he has been planning an early retirement and are afraid he is going to waste all of his money on complete frivolity, and are going to be left without any inheritance. Retire Daniel and give these kids some peace of mind. Think of it as humanitarian aid."

This level is by far my favorite of the entire game, to the point that just this comprehensive run through of the resort isn't enough to fully convey why that is. Just a nicely dense area with a lot of ways to reach your targets and execute them with absurd brutality. Also this game has a flamethrower, and not only is it powerful, the screams of its victims are some of the most hosed up things you'll probably hear in your life.

Weapons

RPO-80 Sanitization System
"Janitorial work in the age of bioprinters and homebrew infectious disease follows these simple rules: Contain, Purify, Control."

Stern M17
"Winner of the advanced combat rifle program. Has widely replaced most other rifles in elite military use. Rapid three round burst of flechette rounds significantly increases hit probability."

Implants

Tactical Blast Vest
Complete protection from explosives. Allows the use of advanced demolition techniques.

Vertical Entry Device
Significantly increases the jumping power. Not always very useful.
Jump bonus: 6

Microbial Oil Secretion Glands
Squirt out special microbial oil that negates all friction and allows you to slide around freely. Suprisingly pleasant smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I think both the description and the name of the RPO-80 Sanitization System pretty much says everything you need to know about the world the game takes place in.