Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UneditedBear
Dec 11, 2020

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Care to explain? No need for spoiler tags, I think we're done here.

Sure. So this relates to something I said earlier in the thread.

UneditedBear posted:

Initially, she wasn't supposed to be connected to the plot at all, and for the sake of spoilers, her father in-game was not originally her father.

I said what her story is earlier in the thread, and I'll include it at the bottom for those who missed it. But in DD canon, something brought up in the DLC is the identity of Nao's father. In my canon, her father is another character of mine, who is fleshed out with his own issues and problems, and according to Chip (my point of contact), was considered to be included in the game as well but wasn't for... I don't remember why. Probably time reasons.

In DD canon, her father is...

Empyrean.

This is said in a very short, throw-away sequence before one of the DLC fights, where Empyrean is shown a vision of the final battle, except the mission is to play as Empyrean, alone, and kill the heroes. Yeah, that's the mission; no, it doesn't change anything in the story. No, you don't get to play as Nao with him. No, I can't say I'm happy about it.

Her original story, for those interested and those who missed it earlier in the thread.

A Bear earlier in this thread posted:

She is a doll, given a soul and life through her father's research. He lost his daughter and wife in an undetermined conflict, and to deal with his grief, he threw himself into his work to keep his mind off it. In his work, he learned to craft an 'artificial soul,' though this one is mute and has the barest minimums of what people would consider sentience. With this discovery, he continued working, the small automaton helping and growing much like a child would. After another set of time, Her father discovered the missing formula and transferred the infantile soul of the automaton into a specially-made mannequin, where it was able to grow into its own person, eventually becoming Nao.

While her father never considered her a replacement for his wife or daughter, he realized he had essentially created life and took to raising her as he would another child, allowing him to come to terms with his grief and continue his research with her by his side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

UneditedBear posted:

the mission is to play as Empyrean, alone, and kill the heroes.

And they are selling this for money?

UneditedBear
Dec 11, 2020

Delphisage posted:

And they are selling this for money?

It's one of the missions, not the only one. Apologies if my wording makes it seem otherwise.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

UneditedBear posted:

Empyrean.

Is she still a living doll, or is she now evidence that Empyrean fucks?

UneditedBear
Dec 11, 2020

LJN92 posted:

Is she still a living doll, or is she now evidence that Empyrean fucks?

:iiam:

Wish I could tell yah. I would say probably, considering the dialogue before her chapter, but I didn't write for the game, and nothing I say is canon, so choose whatever makes the most sense to you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, I can't get over the name 'Empyrean' as the name for the villain.

It's the name of the pinnacle of heaven in Dante's Paradiso, and dates back to classical Greece as a name for the highest reaches of the realm of the gods.

In modern times it's used as both noun and adjective for people who want to sound really fancy - it's become popular in Warhammer 40k for referring to the Warp.

Using it as a person's name is bizarre, and makes me wonder if at some point it was supposed to be the dude's title.

Or maybe the writers are just hacks who were trying to sound lofty and failing miserably.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

UneditedBear posted:

Sure. So this relates to something I said earlier in the thread.

I said what her story is earlier in the thread, and I'll include it at the bottom for those who missed it. But in DD canon, something brought up in the DLC is the identity of Nao's father. In my canon, her father is another character of mine, who is fleshed out with his own issues and problems, and according to Chip (my point of contact), was considered to be included in the game as well but wasn't for... I don't remember why. Probably time reasons.

Empyrean.

This is said in a very short, throw-away sequence before one of the DLC fights, where Empyrean is shown a vision of the final battle, except the mission is to play as Empyrean, alone, and kill the heroes. Yeah, that's the mission; no, it doesn't change anything in the story. No, you don't get to play as Nao with him. No, I can't say I'm happy about it.

Her original story, for those interested and those who missed it earlier in the thread.

You'd think he'd be a little madder at the people who murdered his daughter, but what do I know?

Cythereal posted:

Personally, I can't get over the name 'Empyrean' as the name for the villain.

It's the name of the pinnacle of heaven in Dante's Paradiso, and dates back to classical Greece as a name for the highest reaches of the realm of the gods.

In modern times it's used as both noun and adjective for people who want to sound really fancy - it's become popular in Warhammer 40k for referring to the Warp.

Using it as a person's name is bizarre, and makes me wonder if at some point it was supposed to be the dude's title.

Or maybe the writers are just hacks who were trying to sound lofty and failing miserably.

It's definitely the last, the guy's real name is "Atlas" and I cannot explain why.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
Clearly the gods must exist somewhere and also hate us

Becaaaauuuuuse ~

https://twitter.com/DarkDeityGame/status/1666492770918486016

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Now with twice the characters! Half the characterization! And twice the, uh "personality" on the female cast!

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Hey I'm all for making fun of them for the mistakes they make, but maybe they've learned something from the first game.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
It looks a lot Fire Emblem-ier.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

We can throw TGEK at it to find out.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

SIGSEGV posted:

Has TGEK done something to deserve it?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Besides a history of self harm in posting? No, doesn't seem like much of an obstacle either way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And they're going rogue:

Dark Deity 2 Steam page posted:

Twist the threads of Destiny
No playthroughs are going to be the same, but you can push Dark Deity 2 even further. Inspired by roguelites, we created the Twisted Destiny mode, allowing you to play through a shortened version of the campaign, featuring a randomized team on every playthrough, a host of new levels and modified existing ones, and unlock rewards for future playthroughs - which can completely change the way you play them!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

SIGSEGV posted:

Yea, I'll do it.

UneditedBear
Dec 11, 2020
I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little excited to see if they learned from their mistakes. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Wonder if my girl will be back. Doubt it, but maybe.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Wonder if they’ll make armor/weapons less hosed?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You have so much to live for!

At least the randomized mini campaign sounds like something I'd want in a better game.

And no matter how horrible the game is there's the animation with the archer's animal companion follow up attacking the trailer showed at the end.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Yea, I'll do it.

You remember our venerable game, overwrought yet bland. It is a festering abomination! We beg you, return home, claim your birthright, and deliver our forum from the ravenous clutching shadows… of the Darkest Deity.

BassMug fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 8, 2023

megane
Jun 20, 2008

BassMug posted:

You remember our venerable game, overwrought yet bland. It is a festering abomination! We beg you, return home, claim your birthright, and deliver our forum from the ravenous clutching shadows… of the Darkest Deity.
:vince:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

BassMug posted:

Well if I'd needed any convincing this would have done it. Amazing!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Most developers would learn from their mistakes, I have my doubts about these devs though.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Maybe this time they'll remember to make the villain actually do something to explain why the cast are trying to murder him.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
My first thought on seeing that trailer is a very simple 'ewwwwwwwww'.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
WATCH HARDSHIP FORGE IRON INTO STEEL

what? Is this some phrase that I'm too much of a philistine to understand or is there a missing part of a metaphor somewhere?

also WEAVE A WEB OF ALLIANCES *Shows basic fire emblem gameplay*

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Drakenel posted:

WATCH HARDSHIP FORGE IRON INTO STEEL

what? Is this some phrase that I'm too much of a philistine to understand or is there a missing part of a metaphor somewhere?

also WEAVE A WEB OF ALLIANCES *Shows basic fire emblem gameplay*

I think the metaphor is just, Steel is generally accepted as stronger than iron. So they are telling you to watch hardship and struggle make people stronger.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Usually people mention (metaphorical) fires when making this comparison. "Fires of struggle" or something.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Zereth posted:

Usually people mention (metaphorical) fires when making this comparison. "Fires of struggle" or something.

It's that yeah. I'm making fun of the fact they didn't finish the metaphor. Forgot that sarcasm doesn't translate in text, my bad!

But hell, TGEK. If you're really gonna dive in on that, good luck. This thread put a fair number of smiles on my face, so looking forward to it.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
So they're making a sequel? Well, it looks nice, but after this first go, I'm not so sure the sequel will be all that great. Hopefully they've learnt from their mistakes. Or had a team member quietly following this thread and writing down notes to learn from those.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

So they're making a sequel? Well, it looks nice, but after this first go, I'm not so sure the sequel will be all that great. Hopefully they've learnt from their mistakes. Or had a team member quietly following this thread and writing down notes to learn from those.
You could probably cut a trailer to make this game look nice, too.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
The biggest issues to fix gameplaywise is the awful nonsense weapon system. As well as the complete lack of interesting objectives in every map, and the giant meaningless numbers making everything all lopsided.

Basically the game has to be almost completely different from this one to be any good.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Oh and also not be a buggy piece of poo poo that only works half the time like this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

How Rude posted:

The biggest issues to fix gameplaywise is the awful nonsense weapon system. As well as the complete lack of interesting objectives in every map, and the giant meaningless numbers making everything all lopsided.

Basically the game has to be almost completely different from this one to be any good.

Add the poorly implemented critical rates to that. The player absolutely needs a way to mitigate them, as going into battle and praying the enemy won't crit is really crappy design when the number gets as high as it did during TGEK's playthrough.