Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nervous posted:

So to try and be more realistic about Oregon this year, let's look at things again.

Best case: Ducks have another marquee stunner to open the season on the road (neutral game my rear end). They build on this momentum through the regular season, sweeping through the rest of their OOC and conference slate before getting revenge against Utah. They finish regular season 12-0, favored going into the conference championship and a real shot at a CFB berth.

Worst case: Ducks get blasted by Georgia, drop a random game against an inferior team per Pac 12 style, and get embarrassed by Utah for the third game in a row. 9-3 but still probably with a berth in the Pac 12 championship game as the rest of the Pac 12 North looks worse than the Ducks this year. They then get embarrassed by Utah for the fourth (gently caress) game in a row, go to a decent bowl game, and get embarrassed in that as well to finish 9-5.

Likely case: 10-2 or 11-1. Ducks are loaded with talent, will be favored in every game that isn't against Georgia or Utah, and the Pac 12 North should be theirs for the taking. More than anything, this season hinges on the outcome of the Utah game on 11/19. Even with an opening loss against Georgia, as long as they looked respectable in that matchup and took care of business the rest of the way, they should be able to make a NY6 bowl or better. If they drop the game against Utah, they still get another shot in the Pac 12 CCG to make a NY6 bowl.

Looking through your details, it's interesting to note where the Ducks lost this year and what that means:

• Georgia - Smoking crater, but due to a talent gap, not necessarily scheme
  • Washington - Ugh. Looks like the Huskies are alright (sigh), and won a close one partially due to injury late.
  • Oregon State - Holy poo poo. First, it was in Corvallis' half-finished stadium that somehow is super raucous, and even despite giving up a three-score lead late it still took a goal-line stop to finish the Ducks off.

So not quite the best-case or even the normal case, but all...understandable. And certainly promising for much of the season, not just from results from the process.

I'm excited for next year, I know we won't get Good Bo Nix forever but I also have some faith in the coaching staff to find a solid replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU