Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Knowing what I know about the cretins my state produces, I don't get how so many are coming to the conclusion he doesn't run again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Good thread, bookmarked. Thanks OP

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I'm gonna win OP. I've been practicing real hard and I really feel that this is my year.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

mags posted:

my prediction: poopoo pee caca fart and doo doo

:hmmyes:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I didn't include anything in the OP about the 36 gubernatorial elections this year or state legislatures, even though these are increasingly important races when it comes to abortion, which is now controlled at the state level, as well as entire sectors regulated at the state level from insurance to education.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Warren/Gabbard ticket called the Red-Brown Alliance 2022.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the october surprise will the biden admin using the strong arm of the federal government to legalize weed and abortion nationwide. as a result the dems will hold on to the house by, like, 2 or 3 seats. joe biden will be rejuvenated by the win, run in 2024 and win

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Grevling posted:

Warren/Gabbard ticket called the Red-Brown Alliance 2022.

Who's the red and who's the brown? :thunk:

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

The Voice of Labor posted:

the october surprise will the biden admin using the strong arm of the federal government to legalize weed and abortion nationwide. as a result the dems will hold on to the house by, like, 2 or 3 seats. joe biden will be rejuvenated by the win, run in 2024 and win

Biden would sooner lose the presidency in a Mondaleesque blowout than ease up federal laws on the devil weed one iota.

My predictions:

House: Flips to GOP

Senate: Dems hold. Oz and Walker have proven themselves so underwhelming that the Dems may gain a seat or two.

2024: Joe runs again. Bernie tries to primary Joe, fails. GOP win if Trump runs. Less certain GOP win if DeSantis runs. Tossup if it’s anybody else. Massive, humiliating Dem loss if Liz Cheney runs.

Chaos predictions: Lincoln/Anti-Trumper Republicans make an earnest and initially semi-successful attempt at starting a GOP successor party. It doesn’t quite take and is absorbed into the Democrats.

Obergefell and possibly Lawrence get overturned.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

looks like Vote Blue No Matter Who is running 5 percentage points behind Vote Red or We'll Be Dead this year:

from the cbsnews poll released today

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

dems being dems and boosting another far-right candidate, this time in NH:

quote:

Democrats are once again meddling in a GOP primary — this time in a competitive New Hampshire House district, with the goal of elevating a far-right candidate over a moderate backed by GOP Gov. Chris Sununu.

The intervention in the race to take on Democratic Rep. Annie Kuster comes from an unlikely source: Democrats Serve, a new PAC that backs Democratic candidates with public service backgrounds. The group has booked some $94,000 on cable TV to boost Bob Burns, a pro-Trump Republican who is campaigning as the “only pro-life candidate” in the Sept. 13 primary.

“Meet Bob Burns, the ultra conservative candidate for Congress,” a narrator says in the 30-second spot, which includes a picture of Burns and former President Donald Trump. “Burns follows the Trump playbook on immigration, the border and guns.”

Let's see how that play is working out in CO:

quote:

Democrats sought to bolster Mr. Bennet’s chances through backdoor advertising on behalf of hard-right, MAGA-embracing candidates in the Republican primary who would most likely have been weaker adversaries with little chance of being embraced by the state’s unaffiliated voters, now the largest voting bloc in Colorado.

But Mr. O’Dea won the primary anyway, and while Mr. Bennet remains the favorite, the Cook Political Report recently shifted the contest from “Likely Democrat” to “Lean Democrat.” The Republican is threatening to make a race of it if he can increase his fund-raising and land his message that he is not a typical partisan politician.

Despite differences on complex policy issues, the race sometimes seems more like a clash over who is the most authentic Coloradan. Mr. Bennet’s first ads have shown him hiking and fly-fishing, though he was dinged after Axios reported that he obtained a one-day permit for his fishing shoot. An ad for Mr. O’Dea features him loping on horseback, and he is quick to note that he comes from a fourth-generation Colorado family.

Bennet has 8x the money that O'Dea was, and CO has trended blue for more than a decade so I don't think he's in danger of losing his seat, but dang, did they ever hear of unintended consequences?

I guess that doesn't matter when there's fundraising to be held to fight the terrors that dems are boosting to run against.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Is vermin supreme running in 2024?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Charlie Crist will singlehandedly destroy the democrats' party in 2022, and the people who refused to vote for either republican candidate for governor will take 100% of the blame in The Discourse

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

Charlie Crist will singlehandedly destroy the democrats' party in 2022, and the people who refused to vote for either republican candidate for governor will take 100% of the blame in The Discourse

why are you trying to make me like him

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Some polling that is probably outlier stuff, but could be potential wild cards:

Susquehanna has Deming in spitting distance from Rubio (47R-44D) and Crist from DeSantis (50R-47D). Fabrizio/Anzalone, on behalf of AARP, has similar nos.: Rubio 49-47 and DeSantis 50-47.

Trafalgar Group, a GOP polling outfit but rated A- by 538, has Tiffany Smiley only 3 points behind Sen. Patty Murray in Washington. Smiley says she's pro-life but would oppose a federal abortion ban. PPP (Dem polling outfit, also A-) has Murray up +9.

Joe O'Dea, who's running against Michael Bennet in Colorado, is about as pro-choice as you might find in today's GOP, i.e.: on the same page as most conservative Democrats.

Colorado has been pretty solidly blue since the Obama years, but having spent a lot of time there I'm going to say there's still a purple streak in them thar hills. PPP had Bennet +11 last month, while Trafalgar had him at a much-closer +5. Bennet will likely win but I'm keeping an eye on this race.

It's gonna be a wild couple months.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

good morning, friday morning, from willa's midterms blog.

another poll, this time by insideradvantage on behalf of a FL news outlet, has demings within spitting distance of rubio at -2, 46-44.

same poll has desantis up over crist by 5 pts.

I would've thought that rubio's seat was safer than desantis's, given the latter's press over the last couple years.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

good morning, friday morning, from willa's midterms blog.

another poll, this time by insideradvantage on behalf of a FL news outlet, has demings within spitting distance of rubio at -2, 46-44.

same poll has desantis up over crist by 5 pts.

I would've thought that rubio's seat was safer than desantis's, given the latter's press over the last couple years.

DeSantis energizes his base way more than lil’ Marco and probably depends on DeSantis’s coattails. As alienating as DeSantis is he’s really inspiring if you’re open to the slop he’s shoveling out in that he’s actually doing things (horrible pointless things but flashy nonetheless) and he’s also owning the libs which… :shrug:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

desantis also did a better job of keeping the olds alive thru covid than many northern democrat governors did, probably bc they're his primary constituency.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
2024: Republicans push about 10 primary candidates and hype them to hell and back and then Trump demolishes them all.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

desantis also did a better job of keeping the olds alive thru covid than many northern democrat governors did, probably bc they're his primary constituency.

X doubt

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah I mean everywhere is lying about real Covid numbers but everything about Florida tells me they’re like the king of the hill. So yeah maybe he kept it under wraps more than northern govs I can believe that

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Willa Rogers posted:

lmao

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

nah, it's true, and taken from the cms nursing-home data, which was reported directly to the feds from nursing homes & bypassed state reporting.

counterintuitive, I know, but true nevertheless.

the northern states were death camps for the olds, bc they allowed the owners of private nursing homes (ie: donors) write the executive orders that did poo poo like provide overly broad immunity for negligence + suspended state inspections.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

before you all go succ & accuse me of kissing desantis on the lips & wanting to marry him, as dnd did when I pointed out that desantis did one good thing bc of political expediency, read thru my posts in the dnd covid thread bc I put forth the data there.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

the elderly in Florida tend to live not in nursing homes because it's a place you retire to and then die in your terrible The Villages bungalow

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

lol

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

the elderly in Florida tend to live not in nursing homes because it's a place you retire to and then die in your terrible The Villages bungalow

This doesn’t seem right. I mean yes, lots of people retire to Florida, especially people with money, but they still get to the point where they need to be in assisted living or long term memory care or the like and they aren’t shipping them back up north when that happens. People capable of living independently don’t usually end up in these places regardless of geographic region

But idk and if the numbers say that nursing homes did better I guess I’m not going to argue, although I do think it’s evident Florida was gaming Covid fatility numbers even harder than other states in general

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

there was one governor who was investigated & found to be covering up the deaths of olds in nursing homes & who it was might surprise you!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

there was one governor who was investigated & found to be covering up the deaths of olds in nursing homes & who it was might surprise you!

Lol nah not at all, but part of that I think was that the machine was starting to turn against him, and I think that investigation in retrospect was the first cracks showing through and not uniquely bad behavior by our favorite man/woman/lesbian/Muslim/trans person/molester

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

But idk and if the numbers say that nursing homes did better I guess I’m not going to argue, although I do think it’s evident Florida was gaming Covid fatility numbers even harder than other states in general

as I said, these were deaths reported directly to the feds from nursing homes, who rely on federal money.

the one caveat is that the direct reporting didn't begin till july 2020, so desantis certainly could have jiggered the nos. before then, but allover the northern states that let the industry write the rules killed way more olds; I think for the first six months of the pandemic like 60 percent of PA deaths were olds in nursing homes & 80 percent in MN.

I have to go touch grass now, but I'll try to find some more stats later about total deaths among olds by state.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

HashtagGirlboss posted:

This doesn’t seem right. I mean yes, lots of people retire to Florida, especially people with money, but they still get to the point where they need to be in assisted living or long term memory care or the like and they aren’t shipping them back up north when that happens. People capable of living independently don’t usually end up in these places regardless of geographic region

the vast majority of americans die in the community rather than at an assisted living home, pride is extremely real, six and a half percent total live in nursing homes and assisted living combined
there's only ~72k floridians living in nursing homes I couldn't find good numbers on assisted living but if florida is like the rest of america it's about half as many people as live in nursing homes so call it another ~32k

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

the vast majority of americans die in the community rather than at an assisted living home, pride is extremely real, six and a half percent total live in nursing homes and assisted living combined
there's only ~72k floridians living in nursing homes I couldn't find good numbers on assisted living but if florida is like the rest of america it's about half as many people as live in nursing homes so call it another ~32k

Sure, but is this more or fewer per capita than other states is the question

Willa Rogers posted:

as I said, these were deaths reported directly to the feds from nursing homes, who rely on federal money.

the one caveat is that the direct reporting didn't begin till july 2020, so desantis certainly could have jiggered the nos. before then, but allover the northern states that let the industry write the rules killed way more olds; I think for the first six months of the pandemic like 60 percent of PA deaths were olds in nursing homes & 80 percent in MN.

I have to go touch grass now, but I'll try to find some more stats later about total deaths among olds by state.

I agree with you that northern states were completely malfeasant and that the laws that gave blanket immunity were bullshit. No doubt. I just question how much we can trust Florida’s record keeping and certification. I believe Florida has a state run medical examiners office rather than local elected coroners, which each can be bad in different ways, but the certified numbers are still coming from policy set by that office for determine cause of death, right?

Anyway, I’m not at all saying I think the northern states did better, just skeptical that Florida wasn’t pulling some bullshit

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

wasn't he just juicing up anybody willing to stand in line on monoclonals because he had a bunch of stock or was on the board or some poo poo

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

one has to be a special type of rube to believe anything desantis or his goons say

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

turn florida into one giant nursing home

let em fly jets out of pensacola and run airboats in the everglades

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

my 2024 prediction is that trump’s hamberder-laden heart finally gives out but only after he’s obliterated all challengers, so like sometime that summer. chaos proceeds to reign

dems are I dunno gavin newsom/some midwestern safe pick, like tina smith or something

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

one has to be a special type of rube to believe anything desantis or his goons say

:raise: you thought biden made a good speech last week.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

be back later, now I've got to go touch sand.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Willa Rogers posted:

:raise: you thought biden made a good speech last week.

his favorables went up, yeah? i didn't bother watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

*A Note on My Methodology*

We are in a new reality. The old ways are irrelevant. Polls are misleading and exaggerate how well Democrats will do. This is amplified by the fact that these are midterm elections. Therefore I am taking forecasts like Nate Silver's and deducting roughly 5-10% percentage points from the Democrats, depending on the race.

In addition, outcomes of elections can no longer be assumed by announcements from the media - outcomes can only be determined by the final certification. Before certification there are going to be unprecedented levels of litigation which will end up in the hands of corrupt judges. I am going to deduct a few extra points from the Democrats for this reason.

Predictions, final & unchanged as of 9/9/22 (going on a politics hiatus until late October, I hope):

- The GOP will win the House 242-203
- The GOP will win the Senate 52-48
- Donald Trump will announce his candidacy for president on January 6th, 2023. Joe Biden will fall down the stairs or something and not run again for president. Kamala Harris will run but due to her low popularity will have some serious contenders.