Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah there's a difference between posting spoilers in the relevant threads after it airs (reasonable, fair) and posting spoilers in a thread talking about something completely unrelated (rude).

Using Doctor Who as an example (as was used in the thread two posts before), if I were to post about the recent episode in the thread, that'd be fine. Meanwhile if I were to post about David Tennant being the killer in a murder mystery show because "he was a Doctor, right?" then that'd be rude to people who were watching that show but didn't get to it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

"Then don't come into PSP/WH2K/Hammer House, etc., then," isn't a solution, it's just enabling shithead behaviour.

"It's too diffy-wiffy-poo!" is not a valid loving argument about policing the spoiler issue either, so gently caress off with that as well.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 14, 2024

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Senerio posted:

Yeah there's a difference between posting spoilers in the relevant threads after it airs (reasonable, fair) and posting spoilers in a thread talking about something completely unrelated (rude).

Using Doctor Who as an example (as was used in the thread two posts before), if I were to post about the recent episode in the thread, that'd be fine. Meanwhile if I were to post about David Tennant being the killer in a murder mystery show because "he was a Doctor, right?" then that'd be rude to people who were watching that show but didn't get to it yet.
i agree with this and yet

edogawa rando posted:

"Then don't come into PSP/WH2K/Hammer House, etc., then," isn't a solution, it's just enabling shithead behaviour.

"It's too diffy-wiffy-poo!" is not a valid loving argument about policing the spoiler issue either, so gently caress off with that as well.
this post is so bad it makes me want to spoil everything for everyone

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

edogawa rando posted:

This assumes a degree of malevolence that simply isn't there. People aren't being shitheads, they're just having a lapse in judgment because they're excited about something. Saying "well, just be courteous and don't do that." isn't a solution, because, well, what if they don't? What if someone is excited and posts an NJPW spoilers in the AEW thread or vice-versa, do you want them to get probed for it? That's silly. And even if they did get probed...guess what, the spoilers still got posted. You still saw them. You've still been spoiled. So the rule didn't actually help.

You can't control what every single person other person with access to SomethingAwful is going to do. The only thing you can control is what you do. If you really want to avoid spoilers, the only thing you can do is avoid them.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MJeff posted:

This assumes a degree of malevolence that simply isn't there. People aren't being shitheads, they're just having a lapse in judgment because they're excited about something. Saying "well, just be courteous and don't do that." isn't a solution, because, well, what if they don't? What if someone is excited and posts an NJPW spoilers in the AEW thread or vice-versa, do you want them to get probed for it? That's silly. And even if they did get probed...guess what, the spoilers still got posted. You still saw them. You've still been spoiled. So the rule didn't actually help.

You can't control what every single person other person with access to SomethingAwful is going to do. The only thing you can control is what you do. If you really want to avoid spoilers, the only thing you can do is avoid them.

If you're running around spamming spoilers every time someone does a high spot on Dynamite, at a certain point, it stops being a mere lapse in judgement, and veers into dickhead behaviour. And expecting others to bend over backwards to accommodate some dickheads lacking in self-control is absurd and unreasonable.

Also,

MJeff posted:

Saying "well, just be courteous and don't do that." isn't a solution, because, well, what if they don't? What if someone is excited and posts an NJPW spoilers in the AEW thread or vice-versa, do you want them to get probed for it? That's silly. And even if they did get probed...guess what, the spoilers still got posted. You still saw them. You've still been spoiled. So the rule didn't actually help.

Oh well, then, why have rules at all?

If only the offending post can be altered after the fact to have spoiler tags added to it or edited away later.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 14, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Different topic to the tedious spoiler chat:

Can we remove the sticky on the "So You Want to Get Into All Elite Wrestling: AEW Primer Spring 2024 Edition" thread?

It's incredibly inactive and given the company's waning popularity, there's presumably not much need for it.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

edogawa rando posted:

It's like, I'm in the middle of work when it's on live, you loving idiot.

edogawa rando posted:

The frustration stems from having that choice taken away by some fuckwit online and then being told we're at fault because everyone else didn't bend over backwards to accommodate the same fuckwit and their fuckwit friends.

edogawa rando posted:

If you're running around spamming spoilers every time someone does a high spot on Dynamite, at a certain point, it stops being a mere lapse in judgement, and veers into dickhead behaviour. And expecting others to bend over backwards to accommodate some dickheads lacking in self-control is absurd and unreasonable.

edogawa rando posted:

calm down lol

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Can we remove the sticky on the "So You Want to Get Into All Elite Wrestling: AEW Primer Spring 2024 Edition" thread?

It's incredibly inactive and given the company's waning popularity, there's presumably not much need for it.
theres enough lapsed fans that pop into aew threads asking what shows to watch/what stories have been happening that it still serves a purpose.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's not meant to active, it's meant to be an easy to find primer.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The whole spoiler topic was started this time specifically because it happened in the AEW thread; since AEW the company has a) posted about it on twitter and b) shown the literal result physically happening on its own programming, it should be fair game there now, if it wasn’t already when only a) applied, and hate should be directed to AEW, not the posters

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

That's true.

I'm of two minds. I think it's courteous to use spoiler tags for major results for shows outside of their home promotion threads at least for 12-24 hours. I do think some of the onus should be on the forum user to avoid it, too, because it's not like these things are done maliciously so no one's going to get dinged for it if it happens. These aren't spoilers in the traditional sense, and obviously in the threads actually about the promotions there will be no expectation of using tags for shows that have already happened.

I think people should at least try to tag major results like title changes outside of the home thread for at least 12-24 hours but if something falls through the cracks one of us will edit it, no biggie. And obviously something like AEW straight up showing the footage on television and telling people "hey, guess what! The champ is coming back next Wednesday!" makes it all fair game.

Just some two cents. I empathize with people who get results for shows they hadn't had a chance to see spoiled for them because they clicked on a thread possibly without thinking - this happened to me recently with Miu Watanabe's title win - but at the same time running into results in a thread directly affected by the results to some degree is just a hazard of being on a wrestling forum.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sixer if you post them, sixer if you do anything but report and move on. Kill em all

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

so if its on twitter its ok to post.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Suplex Liberace posted:

I would say no because twitter sucks and not everyone uses that hell website (this is the only hell website I use)

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Making a list of things PSP is incapable of:
Using spoiler tags
Managing a Target

What else should be on here?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

I would say no because twitter sucks and not everyone uses that hell website (this is the only hell website I use)

yah same plus it should be instagram that dictates the policy as its the most popular

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

On The Internet posted:

Making a list of things PSP is incapable of:
Using spoiler tags
Managing a Target

What else should be on here?

Watching good wrestling

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Suplex Liberace posted:

I'd still tag it for the day unless/until it appears actively on one of the televised shows because people might be avoiding Twitter for a bit (or entirely because it's not a good website) :shrug: I just think it's nice to do, nothing official. Just my take.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

JUNGLE BOY posted:

calm down lol

the protagonist is allowed to talk to npcs this way, it's fine

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I'd still tag it for the day unless/until it appears actively on one of the televised shows because people might be avoiding Twitter for a bit (or entirely because it's not a good website) :shrug: I just think it's nice to do, nothing official. Just my take.

what do you mean nothing official your the mod!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Suplex Liberace posted:

what do you mean nothing official your the mod!

I just mean I'm not gonna push buttons that aren't the edit button about it because I think people are humans that are prone to doing things out of excitement over malice and are also surrounded by information 24/7 sheesh!!!!

Edit: so basically just try to tag major results (title changes, mostly) outside of the promotion's thread for a day or so even if it's posted on Twitter, and if said result is shown on TV it's fair game, I think that's fair enough

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 14, 2024

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This is why the rule should just be a sixer if you post them and a sixer if you do anything but report. Very simple to understand, not a big punishment, and gets everyone to shut up. If you get upset about it not being very clear that it was a spoiler that you posted and think it's an unfair sixer then lmao it's just posting.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I'd normally say "yeah" but sixers also cause the most unhinged meltdowns imaginable.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think Gumball should put some skin in the game and also offer to take a mixer each time one of those conditions is met.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

STING 64 posted:

theres enough lapsed fans that pop into aew threads asking what shows to watch/what stories have been happening that it still serves a purpose.

They can Google it if they care so much. I hate seeing stickies!!!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

????

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

If you read spoilers you get to experience the result twice

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

a big ball where you can win it all

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
balls 4 all

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

They can Google it if they care so much. I hate seeing stickies!!!

So close your eyes then

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

There was a post as recently as April 9th. Bad complaint. Bad complaint!!!!!!!!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MJeff posted:

There was a post as recently as April 9th. Bad complaint. Bad complaint!!!!!!!!!

two pages of posts in a month... it's dead

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MJeff posted:

I think Gumball should put some skin in the game and also offer to take a mixer each time one of those conditions is met.

I'll happily drink a mixed drink. Cheers!

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'll happily drink a mixed drink. Cheers!

M*A*S*H

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

If you don't want to see the thread, just don't go to the forum, simple as

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

those of us who practice and promote bookmark culture don't have to see stickies, it's pretty great

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Still reeling from diffy wiffy poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Appropriate given the thread’s subject matter 😔