Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

oh dang it looks like Carl already is - nevertheless my point still stands that the other two would be great choices for mods that would not hand out dipshit probations for silly stuff while still knowing where the lines are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Jerusalem posted:

it took me far too long to get used to the idea that I couldn't just fix typos anymore :sweatdrop:

that and gravitating towards a report forum that no longer is open to you

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HulkaMatt posted:

that and gravitating towards a report forum that no longer is open to you

Haha, yeah. "I wonder what's going on in there tod... oh yeah...."

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Orange Carlisle posted:

oh dang it looks like Carl already is - nevertheless my point still stands that the other two would be great choices for mods that would not hand out dipshit probations for silly stuff while still knowing where the lines are

Brut's our noble MMA mod, I'm just thread maintenance and occasional shenanigans IK. With you on the rest, though.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Orange Carlisle posted:

carlcx, cavauro and yea ok should be modded in this forum

no irony posting, no bullshit - just my serious opinion

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

put slow mode on the weekly AEW thread just to see what happens

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
i wish everyone would stop getting worked

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tweak posted:

I think this is an idea with merit. It could slow down the meltdowns and pile ons and mean that those posters who always have to voice their displeasure with conversations they don’t like can at least only do it so much instead of spamming the thread. I actually think one of the common problems is that like a topic is being discussed and then a handful of posters declare it bad “discourse” and shitpost it into a mess. That could potentially stifle that.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

With apologies to Tweak and STAC Goat, I find that idea completely without merit. We aren't holding tribunal here, it's pro wrestling. Serious and Flippant conversations can happen simultaneously, there is no need to stop and think for 10 minutes, or 3 minutes, or 1 minute, about your next post. I disagree with the notion that people regularly declare it bad "discourse", that sounds like a left over idea from bad creative. (Wrestling reference - what I mean is that this is something that may have happened before, but I haven't noticed it in a very long time. Perhaps my own biases coming in to play)

I would really encourage people to use their ignore lists. Not in a 'dont like it dont read it' sense of the matter, just that if there are people on here or any other subforum that you figure you won't enjoy the idea of ever interacting with them, it just takes a couple clicks and there it is.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

big hell no on using slow mode, thank you

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Slow mode? I don’t think so…

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

my mistake, I instead would like to suggest the thread needs to have more than 50 posts an hour or else it gets blown up (deleted)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I cannot get on board with anything that prevents me spamming the thread with my Dynamite liveposts on Thursday morning

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tweak posted:

*alvarez voice* nooooooooo!!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

I cannot get on board with anything that prevents me spamming the thread with my Dynamite liveposts on Thursday morning
for real. Wish you were the mod here :cheers:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

To get real for a minute, one thing I severely disagree with is anyone saying particular jokes or styles of joke/troll posting are “played out” or acting as if moderation of these things are in any way necessary. Just because you don’t find posting C*dy hilarious , or saying we have to look at a wrestler’s Twitter likes funny, doesn’t mean others do not enjoy these posts. I for one love them. I love the jokes and good natured trolls here. I love getting told I’m a big idiot if I post a bad opinion. If you see a joke post and don’t find it funny, unless it’s something malicious about someone then who cares? Life is bad enough for people, there’s no need to claim that certain jokey post styles are “exhausting” when seeing the words C*dy Rh*d*s may bring joy to the likes of *MF or others.

I love posting about how Rampage numbers are in the mud, even though I like to watch the show. It harms precisely nobody and wasting a mod or IKs time on it sounds bizarre to me when the real issues here are minor slap fights that could be easily resolved by a mod or IK saying “hey chill”

As the famous yeah okay said, it’s a forum about wrestling (don’t care about the UFC threads) a made up thing designed to entertain us and make us hoot and holler. The tolerance for posting utter nonsense should be extremely high imo.

#MyThoughtsForToday

Love most people here!!!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i don't think anyone was suggesting people get punished for running their same dead-rear end jokes into the ground, no need to get so defensive about it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I‘m preempting the haters.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the ufc threads are a secret treasure

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Wish you were the mod here :cheers:

Less and less people are saying this

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My only real issue is that people have gotten so into trying to be funny or gimmicky that it's literally impossible to know when people are serious and when they're joking these days, and oftentimes when people do post sincerely it's at best ignored or at worst shouted down (more so the former though).

Also the forum is more cliquish than I think a lot of people want to admit but that's gonna happen literally everywhere, it's impossible to avoid, I just think it's a bit unfortunate at times.

Actually now that I think about it I'll use myself as an example to illustrate the first point. So like, it's literally forum lore at this point that I'm the biggest Jon Moxley mark there is. That's why someone ITT was complaining that my loving username being a thread title was a match spoiler. I don't personally agree on that part but whatever. Point is, as long as people aren't making fun of me for it (which I honestly don't think has happened in years so that's excellent!) I have zero problem with it. It actually makes me happy most of the time. HOWEVER, we've reached a level of posting re: fandom or even dislike of wrestlers or promotions that makes my Moxposting seem positively subtle in comparison. And again to be clear I think most people are exaggerating for comic effect? But like, it's always there now with some people. And if the volume is always at 11 it ceases to mean anything. The reason why I'm The Mox Guy is because it's genuine and sincere. I think a lot of people post insincerely these days because they think it makes them cooler or funnier and when you have threads full of bare minimum 40% of posts being like that it's just noise.

Also while I've returned to posting a bit more regularly in the AEW threads I still don't even dare to touch the WWE threads because even though I think the product has genuinely been improving lately (still a long way to go but at least there's the occasional thing worth discussing positively) if the bleed through references in the AEW threads are anything to go by, nobody actually wants to discuss WWE, they just want to take turns dunking on it, making GBS threads on Cody for going back, and derisively calling it The Fed. If that makes the majority of the community happy have at it I guess, but hard pass from me. And maybe it's not as bad as I'm picturing. But considering it can be pretty goddamn difficult to have a sincere discussion in the AEW threads and that's a product pretty much everyone agrees they LIKE? Yeah I doubt it.

Edit to put a finer point on something I said: IMO trollposting is a loving scourge, not because it exists, but rather because it's all some people do, and they don't even put any effort into it a lot of the time. It's the kinda poo poo that used to get probed, back when, y'know, this forum had like ten times the number of people posting regularly? And like, I get it's the new norm, whatever, but I'm not gonna say that I don't think it sucks bad, and I'm not gonna say I don't think that the regularity of it wasn't a big factor in this place becoming a shell of itself, because I do.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 28, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

quote:

Also while I've returned to posting a bit more regularly in the AEW threads I still don't even dare to touch the WWE threads because even though I think the product has genuinely been improving lately (still a long way to go but at least there's the occasional thing worth discussing positively) if the bleed through references in the AEW threads are anything to go by, nobody actually wants to discuss WWE, they just want to take turns dunking on it, making GBS threads on Cody for going back, and derisively calling it The Fed. If that makes the majority of the community happy have at it I guess, but hard pass from me. And maybe it's not as bad as I'm picturing. But considering it can be pretty goddamn difficult to have a sincere discussion in the AEW threads and that's a product pretty much everyone agrees they LIKE? Yeah I doubt it.
for all it helps, given the rest of your post, all that derisiveness (especially "The Fed") is as far as I can tell shitposting. I agree it's not fun to read but gimmickposters gotta gimmick post, I guess

overall the tone in the wwe thread is wwe still isn't a good company but almost nobody is actively hatewatching it; most of the sentiment is people wanting it to improve so that the good talent left over there can put on good matches that aren't actively nauseating to watch (I genuinely get a headache from the camerawork even post-Vince)

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

JOHN CENA posted:

he still lurks....within..

E:

To get real for a minute, one thing I severely disagree with is anyone saying particular jokes or styles of joke/troll posting are “played out” or acting as if moderation of these things are in any way necessary. Just because you don’t find posting C*dy hilarious , or saying we have to look at a wrestler’s Twitter likes funny, doesn’t mean others do not enjoy these posts. I for one love them. I love the jokes and good natured trolls here. I love getting told I’m a big idiot if I post a bad opinion. If you see a joke post and don’t find it funny, unless it’s something malicious about someone then who cares? Life is bad enough for people, there’s no need to claim that certain jokey post styles are “exhausting” when seeing the words C*dy Rh*d*s may bring joy to the likes of *MF or others.

I love posting about how Rampage numbers are in the mud, even though I like to watch the show. It harms precisely nobody and wasting a mod or IKs time on it sounds bizarre to me when the real issues here are minor slap fights that could be easily resolved by a mod or IK saying “hey chill”

As the famous yeah okay said, it’s a forum about wrestling (don’t care about the UFC threads) a made up thing designed to entertain us and make us hoot and holler. The tolerance for posting utter nonsense should be extremely high imo.

#MyThoughtsForToday

Love most people here!!!

Yeah, that.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 28, 2022

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

When did calling the WWE "the Fed" become some kind of cardinal sin committed only by the most heinous and detestable trolls lmao

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I've been calling it the Fed since I got into wrestling because I thought that was its actual nickname from how often people used it. Didn't know some saw it as derisive.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
You're allowed to call WWE The Fed, and anyone that freaks out about that is a problem.

You can also call WWE "Up North"

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I like to call it the Double Double E just like my friend Vladimir Kozlov

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah I don’t know why it’s suddenly derisive when it’s been a thing to call it ‘The Fed’ for decades. It hasn’t even officially been the “Fed” for 20 years and the name has endured.

I think there is a group of people who don’t take posting very seriously and another group of people who sometimes take it very seriously indeed, and the root of most conflict is these two groups posting past each other and getting frustrated.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I think the closest thing we have to toxic posting here are the people who make pissy, thinly veiled whine posts against their posting enemies. But even then it’s relatively infrequent and easy to ignore. I love posting with my friends about pro wrestling.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

I think there is a group of people who don’t take posting very seriously and another group of people who sometimes take it very seriously indeed, and the root of most conflict is these two groups posting past each other and getting frustrated.

If only there was someone who could take the middle ground… a sort of moderate approach, if you will.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I personally vote for just trying out having an actual mod presence for a little while to help keep things civil instead of possibly implementing dozens of vague and arbitrary rules that are all catered to helping posters not get mad at or confused by posts

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

If only there was someone who could take the middle ground… a sort of moderate approach, if you will.

Middle Ground sounds like a TNA PPV.

Maybe posting enemies should be forced to watch TNA together

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Brut's our noble MMA mod, I'm just thread maintenance and occasional shenanigans IK. With you on the rest, though.

as a side note I also wasn't meaning I wanted anyone currently a mod de-modded, just the other two added in addition

that way there would be the coverage folks are asking for without any witch hunts about who is or isn't here enough because expecting modding this place to be like a second job is not only asking too much but it's also likely to make each moderator insane as we've seen happen multiple times before

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Orange Carlisle posted:

as a side note I also wasn't meaning I wanted anyone currently a mod de-modded.

As someone who brought up the moderation, I also wanna clarify this. I think a couple more IKs for the big mega threads for each fed would be the way to go. Having someone in touch with their own little sub-community could go a long way. I don't know about MMA but just in wrestling alone there's a huge number of companies you can watch and in many cases the AEW fan might not have any idea what's going on in TJPW and how people in that their threads interact. Maybe the mythical hardcore wrestling fan who watches all wrestling exists but they are probably not here, so it's better to look for good candidates in each niche.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
One thing that gives me pause is that there's a broad agreement that there needs to be more moderation, but also that the main thing that needs to be moderated is low-level animosity. That's going to require a level of acceptance from posters. Moderating low-level animosity involves a lot of judgement calls for when things are trending in the wrong direction, and taking action on things that feel wrong but can be hard to pin down.

e: speaking further about buy-in, the fact that most everyone these days is at least in the 30s-40s range, around the clock moderation is going to be hard to come by just because the most steady people will likely also have steady hours and commitments. But also, people shouldn't need that level of constant moderation. Everyone is an adult, and should be able to be trusted to act reasonably.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

One thing that gives me pause is that there's a broad agreement that there needs to be more moderation, but also that the main thing that needs to be moderated is low-level animosity. That's going to require a level of acceptance from posters. Moderating low-level animosity involves a lot of judgement calls for when things are trending in the wrong direction, and taking action on things that feel wrong but can be hard to pin down.

This is certainly the biggest problem. Some of us are carebears, some of us like trolling. Neither tendency is wrong. If I were unfortunate enough to have to choose a new mod I’d want to avoid someone who’s well known for either of the extremes.

Any new mods are also gonna have to say “sorry, I’m not acting on your Lists” and “sorry, you ate that probe for being a dick” and they’ll have to be able to firmly ignore a lot of complaining. The chips will fall where they’re gonna fall.

Oh, and you need someone experienced enough to appreciate Cavauro. I am still slightly embarrassed that I bitched about him before I really got it. Sorry dude.

Or just let it be. I mean it’s the best place to talk about wrestling at the low low cost of a long cranky discussion in the rules thread every month or so.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Thanlis posted:

Oh, and you need someone experienced enough to appreciate Cavauro.

Yeah.
Hell, make him mod.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

e: speaking further about buy-in, the fact that most everyone these days is at least in the 30s-40s range, around the clock moderation is going to be hard to come by just because the most steady people will likely also have steady hours and commitments. But also, people shouldn't need that level of constant moderation. Everyone is an adult, and should be able to be trusted to act reasonably.

I don't want to throw anyone under the bus, everyone's feedback is valid, but there really isn't very much 'animosity' in this forum. Now, granted, I was literally told to gently caress off and leave forever because I told a joke the other day, but that really is few and far between. Naturally, there will always be some people completely dissatisfied with any choices made, since their forums philosophy of what should and shouldn't be allowed will differ from authority.

I think, and pardon me for speaking for others, what most people want when they say 'more moderation', is just a presence of moderation. It is so much easier when a blue star is able to see that a conversation is heading into Angry Territory, to say "Let's not be so angry now", and then someone will post right after to get their last word in, then say "e; whoops didn't see that" even though they saw it, and then people can either continue discussing whatever thing but not as angry, or then they can get in trouble.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in my opinion the only big change that should be made is a moderator who most of the time gets to just be a poster, does so, acts like an IK, and has the power to get rid of somebody who is massively freaking out or saying extremely hosed up horrible things. doesn't necessarily have to even be a change in moderators if they don't want to and did want to do exactly what i say at all times. don't change anything else in case it's a lot worse than what's going on now. maybe i'm biased since i find that pretty likely to be the case and others don't. no worries. 1+1 cents.

e; whoops didn't see above

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

yea ok posted:

I think, and pardon me for speaking for others, what most people want when they say 'more moderation', is just a presence of moderation. It is so much easier when a blue star is able to see that a conversation is heading into Angry Territory, to say "Let's not be so angry now", and then someone will post right after to get their last word in, then say "e; whoops didn't see that" even though they saw it, and then people can either continue discussing whatever thing but not as angry, or then they can get in trouble.

This is also probably true. I think any new mod is still gonna have a lot of push back early while people figure out what they’ll put up with but you make a solid point here.