Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I would like some moderators on the wrestling side who are actually active in this subforum and community. That’s about it I think. The rest kicks big rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Stuff I like about it:
Legitimately the best place online to discuss a thing I really like to watch and talk about. It can get a little heated, but hell, that's the nature of forums.
The ethos of SomethingAwful is pure in PSP. We poke fun at things, we have our own completely absurd language about wrestling that is wholly ours, and we know how to get the bad apples out before they spoil the bunch!
A completely inclusive and welcoming community - Unless you talk bad about AEW! Only joking, you're more than welcome to come hang out and say what's on your mind. The beauty of community? So are the people who disagree with your mind. Now let's all have a great time.

Stuff I dislike about it:
IMO Moderators should not necessarily be 'leaders' or even prominent figures in the community, but I do think it is a bit much when one of them has ~10 posts (Edit: 17) in the last 6 months, and the other one disappears for days at a time, poking in every now and then, posting the weekly thread, then riding off to their beautiful Hearts of Iron IV. Nothing against them, personally. It'd just be nicer to see those blue stars be more active :razzy:

What needs to change:
Your diaper. Just kidding. On a macro level I am wholly satisfied with my personal PSP experience. Thank you for taking my feed back on this beautiful sunny weekend.

yea ok fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 27, 2022

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Oh, that reminds me. A little while back, there was discussion in the feedback thread about the subforum having a bit of a 'bad vibes' problem that people were having difficulty pinning down. How do people feel things have gone since then? Better? Worse?

I think it's better than when a bunch of people (myself included) were randomly called out as making the forum a toxic hell hole, but I didn't think it was all that bad before then either :razzy:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Literally all the mods here have to do is the bare minimum. Just read the threads, be around after the shows, and if things get rowdy say "Hey let's not be so rowdy if we could please do that", and then if the rowdiness continues, press a button or two. We're all adults but sometimes some of us are adults that yell and say things like "gently caress off gently caress head" when a guy we like loses. Or wins, you never know.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

I'm interested in this discussion, and maybe I can contribute that, from a moderating perspective, one of the issues is that near-everyone sees their own aggression (or dunking, especially dunking) as righteous. It means that people are constantly asking you that their own posts are exceptions to the rule, often paired with a request to punish their posting enemies.

I think a "problem" with this subforum, as I'm sure with any subforum, is people develop their biases and perceptions on what a poster is like or must be thinking. This in turn leads to extreme uncharitable readings and therefore escalations. I've been guilty of it before, although mostly I am pretty perfect.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

JOHN CENA posted:

i nominate Fucker for a trial ik

Wow, thanks so much. I’d be honored.

e: severely misunderstood post

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

NienNunb posted:

To all else I’m still the bastard from hell.

You can say that again.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

With apologies to Tweak and STAC Goat, I find that idea completely without merit. We aren't holding tribunal here, it's pro wrestling. Serious and Flippant conversations can happen simultaneously, there is no need to stop and think for 10 minutes, or 3 minutes, or 1 minute, about your next post. I disagree with the notion that people regularly declare it bad "discourse", that sounds like a left over idea from bad creative. (Wrestling reference - what I mean is that this is something that may have happened before, but I haven't noticed it in a very long time. Perhaps my own biases coming in to play)

I would really encourage people to use their ignore lists. Not in a 'dont like it dont read it' sense of the matter, just that if there are people on here or any other subforum that you figure you won't enjoy the idea of ever interacting with them, it just takes a couple clicks and there it is.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

One thing that gives me pause is that there's a broad agreement that there needs to be more moderation, but also that the main thing that needs to be moderated is low-level animosity. That's going to require a level of acceptance from posters. Moderating low-level animosity involves a lot of judgement calls for when things are trending in the wrong direction, and taking action on things that feel wrong but can be hard to pin down.

e: speaking further about buy-in, the fact that most everyone these days is at least in the 30s-40s range, around the clock moderation is going to be hard to come by just because the most steady people will likely also have steady hours and commitments. But also, people shouldn't need that level of constant moderation. Everyone is an adult, and should be able to be trusted to act reasonably.

I don't want to throw anyone under the bus, everyone's feedback is valid, but there really isn't very much 'animosity' in this forum. Now, granted, I was literally told to gently caress off and leave forever because I told a joke the other day, but that really is few and far between. Naturally, there will always be some people completely dissatisfied with any choices made, since their forums philosophy of what should and shouldn't be allowed will differ from authority.

I think, and pardon me for speaking for others, what most people want when they say 'more moderation', is just a presence of moderation. It is so much easier when a blue star is able to see that a conversation is heading into Angry Territory, to say "Let's not be so angry now", and then someone will post right after to get their last word in, then say "e; whoops didn't see that" even though they saw it, and then people can either continue discussing whatever thing but not as angry, or then they can get in trouble.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

What openings do you play

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

No grudge, just felt like they didn’t actually want an answer to their question because of the way it was asked. Gatekeeping mediocrity is pretty fun though

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Genuinely sorry for assuming someone listens to Cornette just for asking an abrasive question that sounds just like him.

escape artist posted:

So I'm finally back into wrestling after 20+ years thanks to AEW. I do have to say though, Jim Cornette's weekly criticism is part of my enjoyment too.

Oh right it wasn't an assumption. Getting really old having to defend myself and being called a Horrible scrote because I didn't let some guy know the thing he definitely really wanted to know.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I’m reading through the last dozen pages of today and like you can see it pop up again and again. People asking HOW anyone could have criticisms about AEW. People saying that it’s “performative” or “disingenuous”. These appeals to like fans owing AEW something or I don’t know what. “How can you watch a show this good and not be appreciative?”

It’s weird and like… people have subjective opinions. “Good” and “bad” are subjective. The weird need some posters have to make every poster criticizing something not just “wrong” but outright deceptive and with some kind of ulterior motive seems very constant. Like at some point you have to be able to accept that some people just don’t like X or appreciate it in a different way.

And yeah. Maybe someone WILL be carrying a grudge or trolling or something. But if people are asking “how can anyone criticize this show?” then there’s no room for anything else.

But...this complaint itself is disingenuous. The thread last night and today has had a ton of discussion about the positives and negatives of the show last night and the build to the PPV. Is it not possible to focus on the vast majority of the discussion thread that is discussion, instead of this desire to point out that there are some unknown number of people who have deemed it impossible to criticize AEW? I didn't see anyone saying many of the things you're accusing, and I did a lot of thread reading today, but I could have just missed it. (The one I did see was a couple of people calling 1glitch0 disingenuous, and then that part of the argument was quickly moved on from)

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

I get the person coming in to the thread with a dodgy opinion. I see that happen in the other sports threads plenty, someone comes in and shares one of those opinions we associate with the bad internet Out There. And they get dunked on and made fun of, all in due course, but I don't see it escalate like in here. I guess this goes back to what I mentioned earlier, about being more patient and tolerant. That doesn't mean you have to treat every bad opinion with hugs and love (though, I mean, we did all come from somewhere ourselves), but rather that someone being dumb and wrong isn't the end of the world. And even if the other person escalates first (and most people will always believe the other person escalates first), that doesn't mean you have to respond in kind.

Idk about anyone else but I thought that guy in here was calling me a mean name so I was just giving my side :razzy: Just a misunderstanding since, as we all know, tone is difficult to ascertain at times.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I typed more than that and clarified, but I'm not going to ignore people in the thread for talking about the forum, even if they disagree with me. Thank you for your suggestion.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

rest in peace maggie, the largest cat to ever live.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

It’s not about positive or negative it’s about tedium. I’m usually very anti-containment but if I never have to hear about how cm punk is a loser bitch again until something actually real and newsworthy comes out it’ll be too soon.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

If the Trev tweet is relevant, post for the hell of it. Lol.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

I feel like the real questions get answered and people are just getting sick of "Why doesn't Tony maintain the momentum?!" and whichever wrestler it is has been on both shows that week. I've become way more jokey in those threads because the serious discussions always end up being about why this episode is why AEW is dying. Usually whatever that problem is resolves itself by next week and we have a new reason.

It's just a strange environment unlike any other place I've seen lol. Most weeks it's like a different reality from the stuff I watch so I just try not to engage. I do have a good laugh to myself at the people heralded as positive optimists dropping random nukes about how lovely the threads are and the people in them though.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Gg

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

flatluigi posted:

oh okay this is where the message in the aew thread came from

idk if emf has been trolling or seriousposting but my issue really isn't with them in specific, especially since they're just now starting to post again. there's just a range of people across all the wrestlethreads who think that high praise of wwe/making GBS threads on aew is really funny and it got pretty old for me years ago. the cornette nicknames like 'weepy wangman' are really old, and a few people went over the line w/ their shitposting when the whole thing w/ vince's sexual assault lawsuits and settlements started resurfacing in the news. where are people even getting their wrestling information from where they're talking about tony khan loving dogs as if we're all supposed to know that's a thing people are accusing him of doing to try to score points or w/e

i just want people to post about what they genuinely feel about the shows and think the threads would be more readable if they were that instead of having a half dozen people who try to stir poo poo up when they post. it's not an AEW vs WWE thing -- i don't care if someone likes watching wwe in 2023 and would enjoy reading people seriousposting about doing so (i've tried to give it a shot in groupwatches w/ friends on discord here and there over the last few years and it's just Not Enjoyable + i'd love to hear what people are getting out of the show in 2023, but that just doesn't seem like what people are doing). the gimmickposting or whatever you wanna call it that leads to constant arguments because someone wanted to casually say how nobody in aew's women's division is as good at wrestling as anyone in wwe or w/e is just not enjoyable to read, and putting them on ignore and trying to move on doesn't help b/c someone will just take the bait (or one of the other people who love to start poo poo will just carry it forward). it'd be fine if it was funny, but it's like there's a checklist people have to go down every week and people racing to hit those marks at a run as soon as the show wraps every wednesday

i liked reading the aew weekly threads and the live threads but the negativity and the fighting led me to drop the live threads + every week it takes me longer and longer to bother to read the weekly threads, even though SA is my major source for wrestling news. i'd like nothing more than to clear out my ignore list and enjoy reading the subforum proper again, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen anytime soon if this is where the mods stand on what's allowed and what needs to be pushed back on.

i'm sure you do or used to post about wrestling and wrestling news but the majority of your posts i can remember are just bitching about people posting in w/e way you don't like. report them or ignore them, and if your reports dont work then it means unfortunately the current moderation team disagrees with your views. i use the ignore list, its awesome. i report people like every other day, it's awesome. sometimes they get in trouble and i smile deep inside, and sometimes they don't. other than that, just post about the kind of things you want to see talked about, or try and start a conversation or something. if one of the people on your poo poo list are getting quoted and the center of attention for a little bit, come back later. or dont but generally the aew threads are about the shows, previous or upcoming, with some tomfoolery in the mix. well thats how i see it anyways :razzy: and i've certainly had my complaints

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Shard posted:

I'll be honest I still don't understand how that segment was racist. Was it the poo poo he put in his name? Was it insinuating that he didn't know English? I am not trying to be antagonistic so apologies if it comes off like that, I'm honestly trying to understand. Because my gut reaction when I watched that segment was oh man MJF is a jerk and haha he looks like an idiot when Soup was able to speak English to him. And then he beat him up a lot for two weeks.

I'm White so I probably shouldn't be the arbiter of what is or isn't racist, so I'll leave it to the guy with the Japanese passport to explain. Probably something like this:

edogawa rando posted:

As a fellow yellow, solly solly yerrow person offended your grolious waito lace with our dishonourabre plesence. Neksuto taimu we will stand in background bowing head and say "solly solly."

It's just demeaning to use a non-anglo name as joke fodder. Nobody got mad at Jericho saying Kirk Angel but it's because there's not centuries of malice behind it. Everyone's mileage may vary, but it's very understandable why an Asian would be offended.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Yep. Webcomic says it all right there. Gotta know the terminology bro. 9 years old thing at that.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Dog pile initiated. Alpha team in position. Positivity and Negativity chemicals have been distributed for dispersion. Let's gently caress this place up something real nice for the boys back home.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

it's just an odd sentiment to me personally because there are plenty of people who actually watch and enjoy wwe (bad crap) but nobody really cares. i guess whoever bought those saudi avatars cared but it's just an avatar at the end of the day. the only people who have really been jumped on in my recent memory are the permabanned rereg guy who was obviously just trolling the entire time but our 37 mods took a while to catch up to the rest of the thread. i don't think there should be an expectation to post any take or thought you have and be able to avoid pushback, but i tend to see people who get pushed back on see it more as an affront to their person and character rather than w/e thing they said. not that it never happens of course :razzy: i just don't see it as pervasive or anything. perhaps my privilege coming to light being on the inside of the secret groups.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3972241&pagenumber=19&perpage=40#post516172048

worth it

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Please forum ban the hausu usher. going to bat regularly for cornette, including immediately after launching another harassment campaign based off of little jokes about the joshi being enslaved by kenny omega, is just the nastiest crap. idgaf that he listens to the insane bigot guy but if his only contributions here are to handwave and explain why its actually Not So Bad then there is no use for someone like that here. this is the only post i'll make about it, and i won't engage with any counter arguments :razzy: have a great day everyone, except that guy.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

You may have missed the part where I said to report bad posts when they happen, as opposed to coming to the feedback thread and asking to ban a user outright.

Hello moderator. I both reported and made the request in here! Thank you for your feed back. Lol. Thankfully he will still be able to post all of his deranged poo poo, while we all take a step back and reassess.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Hello moderator! The point is that they only post in this subforum to defend or downplay the bigot guy who just a couple of days ago launched another harassment campaign. They are not a regular poster here. Therefore there aren’t many posts to report. I hope you can follow this logic on why they may not have been reported often, and why I made the request to begin with, and why so many responded positively!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

This picture is so awesome I got cranky from knowing I couldn't do similar.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Just let them be lunatics, it only makes them look like total losers.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Always liked that guy.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Hmm. It appears we may need another moderator, or a couple of IKs.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

JUNGLE BOY posted:

in all seriousness, i met Penguin Patrol at an AEW show in April and they seemed very nice and cool. i dunno what was said in PMs that maybe reframed it to where a permaban was warranted but sorry to see them go.

Ya they always seemed fine. It happens.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Mekchu posted:

don't think the guy doing stalkerish things needs to have nice things said about them lol

Don't think it's going to matter even a single bit if someone who had positive IRL interactions is bummed out that the person they had positive interactions with ended up doing weird things.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Yep.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Imagine mekchu ever letting anything go. Nice job calling yourself a sexpest weirdo trying to get some stupid dunk in, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Just make Erin a mod she’s not an idiot and obviously loves wrestling, should take like 5 seconds.