Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think just some more active participation from mods would be nice, yeah. things get really fighty real fast in the aew threads these days and it makes me enjoy reading both the live and weekly threads less and less. when disagreements start bc two people have wildly different takes on what actually happened on a TV show (not even opinions, just literal facts) it'd be nice to have someone both able to step in between and knowledgeable enough to know which person isn't pulling stuff out of their rear end

I do think things have moved away from people being outright trolly and posting dumb takes as a Comedy Bit, at least, which is nice? or at least people as a whole have gotten better at knowing who does it often and ignoring them instead of taking the bait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i don't think anyone was suggesting people get punished for running their same dead-rear end jokes into the ground, no need to get so defensive about it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

quote:

Also while I've returned to posting a bit more regularly in the AEW threads I still don't even dare to touch the WWE threads because even though I think the product has genuinely been improving lately (still a long way to go but at least there's the occasional thing worth discussing positively) if the bleed through references in the AEW threads are anything to go by, nobody actually wants to discuss WWE, they just want to take turns dunking on it, making GBS threads on Cody for going back, and derisively calling it The Fed. If that makes the majority of the community happy have at it I guess, but hard pass from me. And maybe it's not as bad as I'm picturing. But considering it can be pretty goddamn difficult to have a sincere discussion in the AEW threads and that's a product pretty much everyone agrees they LIKE? Yeah I doubt it.
for all it helps, given the rest of your post, all that derisiveness (especially "The Fed") is as far as I can tell shitposting. I agree it's not fun to read but gimmickposters gotta gimmick post, I guess

overall the tone in the wwe thread is wwe still isn't a good company but almost nobody is actively hatewatching it; most of the sentiment is people wanting it to improve so that the good talent left over there can put on good matches that aren't actively nauseating to watch (I genuinely get a headache from the camerawork even post-Vince)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
regular sa wrestleposters are very online and are aware there's a bunch of prominent people in the greater wrestling sphere like Cornette that say some disingenuous poo poo that gets picked up and parroted by his fans and people who are similarly awful, regardless of how true it is

I don't know anything about the op in question here but either unwittingly or not they dropped into the thread to echo exactly what those people were digging into at the time

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's not an experience unique to wrestling's chunk of the internet where you see some rando try to start a conversation as if it was fresh ground except they use terms and phrasing that you've seen dozens of times before from assholes (usually, again, Cornette)

maybe the person is actually coming up with the opinion themselves and aren't sea lioning, but maybe they use one of the homophobic nicknames for Kenny or act like he beat up a child on the street and you go 'oh, one of These again'

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tbh there does also seem to be a bunch of people getting upset that 'you can't criticize aew' when the real pushback only happens when someone has a take that doesn't really match up with what's actually literally happening on tv

like, if you're complaining about someone not being on TV when they've been on Rampage constantly people are going to to go 'lol what are you talking about'

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
people didn't do that though, they just weren't open and friendly to someone who seemed like they weren't asking a genuine question

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hand Knit posted:

I'm not entirely clear on what's going on, but whatever's happening seemed to escalate pretty quickly.

The initial question and discussion, about the post about Moxley being bad, was interesting to me because it was a good look at what a bunch of posters thought about what was and was not an issue. Here's a post that was dealt with kind of harshly, here's why some people thought that was fine. What's kinda vexing to me is how the discussion of that managed to take off into some slapfight so quickly.

I don't think it's very confusing tbh. usher asked what the problem with the post was, got told why it would rub people the wrong way, and then responded with 'well nobody who isn't a hosed in the head conspiracy theorist about other posters would be fine with it' which obviously feels kind of rear end to the people who answered them in good faith the first time around

also I didn't know that the original poster had admitted to being a cornette fan in the first place for all that says about whether or not people can see the wave crest on the horizon about that whole deal

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

STAC Goat posted:

I’m reading through the last dozen pages of today and like you can see it pop up again and again. People asking HOW anyone could have criticisms about AEW. People saying that it’s “performative” or “disingenuous”. These appeals to like fans owing AEW something or I don’t know what. “How can you watch a show this good and not be appreciative?”

It’s weird and like… people have subjective opinions. “Good” and “bad” are subjective. The weird need some posters have to make every poster criticizing something not just “wrong” but outright deceptive and with some kind of ulterior motive seems very constant. Like at some point you have to be able to accept that some people just don’t like X or appreciate it in a different way.

And yeah. Maybe someone WILL be carrying a grudge or trolling or something. But if people are asking “how can anyone criticize this show?” then there’s no room for anything else.

yes, people have subjective opinions, but the only times people get met with 'yo i don't think what you're saying is, like, factual' is when someone comes in with an opinion that doesn't actually, yknow, match the facts. stuff like people appearing on the shows, match finishes and lengths, stuff like that. there's been people swinging into the threads on tuesday complaining that there hasn't been a followup on a match angle that was last mentioned on friday (the last time the show was on tv). the only good answer to why that sort of thing happens is usually 'they're getting their opinions in places other than watching the show,' though some goons do have media literacy poor enough that it happens even to those who watch it all. other discussions happen fine and go on constantly

also, point to exactly one person anywhere who's legitimately said it's impossible to have criticisms about aew or in disbelief that anyone said anything

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Orange Carlisle posted:

the ignore function would be far more useful if it didn't put that stupid notice on there asking you to click to see the post taking up nearly as much space as the bad post would have

just make the post invisible altogether like it never even happened

I tried using it once many years ago and those notices were more annoying than the posts I was trying to ignore so I gave up on the feature forever

there's some scripts and addons that hide those notices iirc, but the problem i found is that even when that happens other people end up responding to the posts from the people you have on ignore anyway, so you still get to see the conversation that happens

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think the thread didn't realize that the joke was coming from the same person who got bopped in the previous thread b/c as a Fellow Queer Person i didn't read it as a biphobic joke but instead a joke about misreading 'bisexual' as meaning 'only ever having had two relationships,' which would be an absolutely fine joke if that was the actual intent

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

IGgy IGsen posted:

That's how I took it too. And thought it was funny.
Not even 100% positive that's the post that's being referred to here because I really wish people stopped vagueposting.
No idea who that poster was or what they said last week though.

last week they made a lovely post about how kenny should officially come out as bi, which they did get probated for (rightfully, because nobody should ever get pressured to come out)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'm pretty sure people were talking about why they thought the joke was fine before they knew it was coming from someone being a poo poo, not that they thought the person being a poo poo shouldn't have been punished

i'm still very okay with the direction moderation has been taking recently

edit:

fez_machine posted:

No? You were off-base on calling out that particular joke even if the person posting it and the surrounding discussion sucked.

If anyone's using heightened rhetoric in this discussion it's you.

they weren't off-base at all, they had a genuine issue because they remembered the person wasn't posting in good faith when people otherwise let it slip by

please don't spin this into 'you're the REAL problem for calling it out' because that's worse than anything else posted on this subject in this thread

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 18, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
sometimes posts that would otherwise be whatever are worth getting bopped for because of the poster's history. they also only got bopped for six hours for the joke starting at ~4am eastern so they might not even know they got probated

like, we're coming off of moderation that would give days to a week for nearly nothing. a 6h for jumping back on a subject you just got rightfully hit for a day for a lovely post about is fine and good

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think people are usually posting those to prompt other people to post the full articles and not to be a tease

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
don't take usher's post seriously, i think they're still upset about what happened the last time they posted in the feedback thread

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the cm punk stuff is just tiring. there's no news other than dirtsheets and any take on the situation has been run so far into the ground that it managed to surpass all other done to death topics like the women's division and whether a storyline that wasn't on tv this week is dead or not

Critical posted:

I get this and I'm usually reticent to squash topics but I'm not above a quick "shut the gently caress up about Punk for a while" request if another pissing contest happens.

please do. i understand not wanting to over-mod but i think it's easy to tell sometimes when people are posting about a thing because they care and when they're posting about a thing because it riles everyone up

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
like to be explicit this is part of what you were going on about a month ago

The Hausu Usher posted:

I mean it's not the most ideal way of posting, but I can understand why they'd maybe think goons wouldn't be so precious about their tv show and there'd be a bit of back and forth.

And still here we have the "righteous exception" attitude a lot of the AEW thread bullies have where they feel empowered to nuke people and opinions on their thread that they don't like.

pardon me if I don't think you're being fully forthright with your suggestions right now usher

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Alaois posted:

i solved that issue by not reading the weekly aew threads anymore

the weekly threads sometimes have good stuff in them that I'd otherwise miss out on from not following wrestle stuff outside sa so I'd rather those threads get improved and the mods crackdown on dumbass gimmick posting that nobody enjoys reading

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
oh okay this is where the message in the aew thread came from

idk if emf has been trolling or seriousposting but my issue really isn't with them in specific, especially since they're just now starting to post again. there's just a range of people across all the wrestlethreads who think that high praise of wwe/making GBS threads on aew is really funny and it got pretty old for me years ago. the cornette nicknames like 'weepy wangman' are really old, and a few people went over the line w/ their shitposting when the whole thing w/ vince's sexual assault lawsuits and settlements started resurfacing in the news. where are people even getting their wrestling information from where they're talking about tony khan loving dogs as if we're all supposed to know that's a thing people are accusing him of doing to try to score points or w/e

i just want people to post about what they genuinely feel about the shows and think the threads would be more readable if they were that instead of having a half dozen people who try to stir poo poo up when they post. it's not an AEW vs WWE thing -- i don't care if someone likes watching wwe in 2023 and would enjoy reading people seriousposting about doing so (i've tried to give it a shot in groupwatches w/ friends on discord here and there over the last few years and it's just Not Enjoyable + i'd love to hear what people are getting out of the show in 2023, but that just doesn't seem like what people are doing). the gimmickposting or whatever you wanna call it that leads to constant arguments because someone wanted to casually say how nobody in aew's women's division is as good at wrestling as anyone in wwe or w/e is just not enjoyable to read, and putting them on ignore and trying to move on doesn't help b/c someone will just take the bait (or one of the other people who love to start poo poo will just carry it forward). it'd be fine if it was funny, but it's like there's a checklist people have to go down every week and people racing to hit those marks at a run as soon as the show wraps every wednesday

i liked reading the aew weekly threads and the live threads but the negativity and the fighting led me to drop the live threads + every week it takes me longer and longer to bother to read the weekly threads, even though SA is my major source for wrestling news. i'd like nothing more than to clear out my ignore list and enjoy reading the subforum proper again, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen anytime soon if this is where the mods stand on what's allowed and what needs to be pushed back on.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

yea ok posted:

i'm sure you do or used to post about wrestling and wrestling news but the majority of your posts i can remember are just bitching about people posting in w/e way you don't like. report them or ignore them, and if your reports dont work then it means unfortunately the current moderation team disagrees with your views. i use the ignore list, its awesome. i report people like every other day, it's awesome. sometimes they get in trouble and i smile deep inside, and sometimes they don't. other than that, just post about the kind of things you want to see talked about, or try and start a conversation or something. if one of the people on your poo poo list are getting quoted and the center of attention for a little bit, come back later. or dont but generally the aew threads are about the shows, previous or upcoming, with some tomfoolery in the mix. well thats how i see it anyways :razzy: and i've certainly had my complaints

i've intentionally tried to not post about it over the last year or so b/c i hate giving that impression, but what happened here is someone else quoted a bad EMF post and i just recommended that person to use the ignore list (and then a mod came in to threaten to punish me for doing so, which i was real confused about until i got pointed to this thread and saw that EMF flagged down a mod here to intervene). i only made that effortpost b/c i felt it'd had been long enough since the last time i did it, but if that's still all you think of me posting i guess it wasn't long enough?

either way, i don't really plan on doing it again now that i've said my piece + just wanted to weigh in in the first place because of said mod warning

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Penguin Patrol posted:

Appreciate you taking the time to write all that, but I disagree with almost all of it. The live threads are overwhelmingly more positive than the weekly threads, and even when the weekly thread is negative they've still been feeling a lot more cordial. People will have differences in opinion and there will always be chucklefuckery because it's an SA staple, but it rarely feels like there's any genuine negativity between posters.

The responses to EMF felt like the most negative thing I'd seen in the thread all week so I called them out. Big difference between "this ain't it chief" from last week's dunking and "you should put this poster on ignore so that we can stop the spread of this terrible style of posting that will destroy the thread completely" (paraphrasing).

I'm wondering if you've put so many posters on ignore that you've killed the vibe of the threads for yourself. Perhaps you're seeing all these blanked posts and assuming they're all poo poo? I might encourage you to clear that list and go with the flow. Let the people make their Weepy Wangman jokes, roll your eyes at them and move on. They don't pop up that often. Is that even a Cornette nickname? I associate it with people who aren't as high on him as a character. It's not hurting anyone and it's a quick, silly reminder of their preferences. I really don't think people are trying to stir poo poo up, I think everyone's just having fun. I'm sorry if it's not fun for you, but I do think you're inventing a lot of the malicious intent if that's all that you're seeing.

i don't have many people on my ignore list (4, 3 of whom post here to be exact) and i tend to use it as a last resort when they do the same poo poo for months, and i still do get to see their posts when people quote them or when i click through occasionally + see they haven't stopped what they're doing. honestly, having so few people on my ignore list is probably not helping me feeling like I'm mostly on the edge of stopping reading here entirely, but w/e. it's great to hear a mod say it's all in my head, though, that's fun + explains a lot

also, like, '"it's not hurting anyone: -- i never said it was? i can find it really grating and unfun to read without it being A Reportable Offense lmao. nobody should be getting banned because they think it's the height of comedy to say 'the dork odor' or because they're constantly needling people for liking a popular wrestler for whatever reason they decided to make that what they'd be posting about this month, but i still would rather not read it! especially when they make themselves the focus of the thread when they do it!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

History Comes Inside! posted:

Anyone who reads weepy wangman posts as sincerely hating on the hanger is wildly misreading the tone like 80% of the time

Maybe even 90% of the time

legit i'd respect it more if it was sincere instead of just an irony-laden joke run so far into the ground you'd see daylight on the other side. knowing it's something they don't actually give a poo poo about and could drop doing at any moment is part of why it's so grating to read -- they could just choose not to wander into the thread and take a dump on whatever conversation was happening, but they gotta get their catchprase in

but like i said at the top i'm not even really trying to push for anyone to change b/c that'd imply any expectation that they will & i'm taking the mod-who-doesn't-think-i'm-making-poo poo-up's advice and just trying to use my ignore list more frequently now. maybe it'll help

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
maybe if they got punished for making their lovely posts they'd have enough punishments on their rap sheet to allow the mods to punish them for making their lovely posts

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
does that person even want to come back? i imagine in the five years since they were banned if they cared enough they either would've paid to unban themselves or paid to rereg

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that's not any better though lol. makes it even more obvious people are making fun of fat people instead of making fun of cm punk specifically

anyway idk, this subforum has a lot of bizarre hangups with making GBS threads on things in aew and 'pretending cm punk is fat' is at least one you can pretend nobody actually believes when they constantly post about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MJeff posted:

Like, I don't wanna dismiss the complaint here because I have myself wondered if the joke is appropriate or not, but I really don't think the forum that went nuts for Evil Uno coming out with his belly on full display to fight Jon Moxley has any fatphobia in its heart.

dark order is maybe a bad pick for people this forum doesn't get weirdly lovely about