Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Rarity posted:

Totally agree with this. I also think the AEW thread could benefit from more use of chill out for a mo sixers to help from from going off the rails as much as it does

This 100%. I think the mods do a good job but are probably not around enough.

Mind you, I seem to recall we had a great wrestling mod who was very active but got shouted at (not by Rarity) because he told people to chill out too often for their liking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

dunno why that isn’t just the default

Because when repeat offenders get more than a 6 hour they tend to act like the escalation rule doesn’t exist. We should drop the escalation rule if we don’t want it, that’d also be a fine option.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

I'm interested in this discussion, and maybe I can contribute that, from a moderating perspective, one of the issues is that near-everyone sees their own aggression (or dunking, especially dunking) as righteous. It means that people are constantly asking you that their own posts are exceptions to the rule, often paired with a request to punish their posting enemies.

This is pretty accurate. I’m not sure it’s actually necessary for anyone to take it on themselves to drive bad posters away.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, something I try to be aware of as a poster is that I bounce around and it can be tough to read intent because of that. Sometimes I want to make really bad poo poo posts about stanning Charlotte because it's funny. Sometimes I want to make serious posts about the art of story telling in pro wrestling. It can be tough to read a post and know which one I'm making if I do both.

This is a pretty good point and I'm bad at remembering it sometimes.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think that if someone makes a joke post and someone flips out about it, the flipper outer should be told soothing things like “chill out dog” and not assume the joking post was an attempt to troll.

I really liked the way Shard and NN handled that last thing.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

One thing that gives me pause is that there's a broad agreement that there needs to be more moderation, but also that the main thing that needs to be moderated is low-level animosity. That's going to require a level of acceptance from posters. Moderating low-level animosity involves a lot of judgement calls for when things are trending in the wrong direction, and taking action on things that feel wrong but can be hard to pin down.

This is certainly the biggest problem. Some of us are carebears, some of us like trolling. Neither tendency is wrong. If I were unfortunate enough to have to choose a new mod I’d want to avoid someone who’s well known for either of the extremes.

Any new mods are also gonna have to say “sorry, I’m not acting on your Lists” and “sorry, you ate that probe for being a dick” and they’ll have to be able to firmly ignore a lot of complaining. The chips will fall where they’re gonna fall.

Oh, and you need someone experienced enough to appreciate Cavauro. I am still slightly embarrassed that I bitched about him before I really got it. Sorry dude.

Or just let it be. I mean it’s the best place to talk about wrestling at the low low cost of a long cranky discussion in the rules thread every month or so.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

yea ok posted:

I think, and pardon me for speaking for others, what most people want when they say 'more moderation', is just a presence of moderation. It is so much easier when a blue star is able to see that a conversation is heading into Angry Territory, to say "Let's not be so angry now", and then someone will post right after to get their last word in, then say "e; whoops didn't see that" even though they saw it, and then people can either continue discussing whatever thing but not as angry, or then they can get in trouble.

This is also probably true. I think any new mod is still gonna have a lot of push back early while people figure out what they’ll put up with but you make a solid point here.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

If we’re gonna relitigate this one let’s at least do it with something fun like “did the CM Punk promo start well?”

Which actually went reasonably okay.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

yea ok posted:

But...this complaint itself is disingenuous.

Or: “hey, I disagree with how you see things but I know you believe what you’re saying, so let’s talk.”

Or just use the ignore button.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

This is my beautiful Maggie who passed away a couple months ago. She had a good long life and she was the best. Her older sister (Nixie, 19) is a lich and we don’t think she’ll ever die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Thanks for the examples + passport pic but I was specifically asking about the repeated scenario where new posters are run off not whatever random arguments happened between regulars here

I wasn’t run off, but I got tired of participating because of the dynamic described. It’s a good enough forum so that I still read a few threads, but the AEW ones sure aren’t among them.

Not that I’m a huge loss or anything.