Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

karmicknight posted:

Would anyone care if the AEW TV Deal thread gets renamed to the AEW Business thread since it seems to be moving that direction.

I was meaning to request something like this anyway, but just kept forgetting. How about "AEW Business & Ratings: Now is the Quarter-Hour Seven of our Discontent"?

I don't wanna put too fine of a point on it being the only place to discuss ratings, 'cause those get posted in the main thread every week, but there have been times where people get sick of talking about them in the main thread, plus I think it's useful to have all the ratings and quarters over a long period of time in one thread for macro-level discussions, so I would kind of like to note that in the title.

I'll also quote this in that thread to see if anybody there has any suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah I just see those as telling one of the paypigs* to hurry up and make with the quotin' already.

* I can say that, since I am the subforum's Wrestlenomics paypig. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Orange Carlisle posted:

I didn't know asking people to post the actual information instead of just the clickbait advertisement tweet would be controversial but here we are

I mean sometimes people find a headline interesting without having a subscription to Fightful, dude.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I would greatly appreciate a CM Punk containment thread that I could never, ever, ever, ever, ever look at or post in.

Also what the gently caress did my ratings thread do to deserve getting grouped with Cornette chat? I just about gasped out loud when I read that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Hausu Usher posted:

I wasn't posting in PSP when the Cornette thread was created, but I gathered from context clues it was because the regular thread didn't want those opinions talked about on the AEW thread every week which created the containment.

I was a regular lurker/poster on the AEW thread when the ratings chat was complained about every week which I believe (and I may be wrong here) basically paved the way for your thread. That's my understanding of how that came about, as I said I may be wrong. Your thread obviously has loads of commendable effort posting in it and I'm not comparing the topics, but the function of it is containment which is where I drew the parallels to the other containment thread and, now, the CM Punk thread.

I hope that makes it clearer.

1. The containment of ratings and business chat away from the main discussion thread is, frankly, a very secondary reason that the thread exists. I made the thread because I found the subject of AEW's TV deal and the Warner-Discovery merger and how the latter affected the former very interesting and at the very quick pace the main discussion thread moves, both in the sense of day-to-day discussion and how the discussion starts over every week and is mostly focused on the actual on-screen product, it was very difficult to get any kind of focused long-term discussion on what AEW's next TV deal might look like without repeating the same talking points over and over (which I think is a main reason ratings chat and TV deal chat annoyed people - it kept starting over from square one and never evolved or deepened past that). Also, when it became about ratings, it became a point to have all of the weekly ratings and all of the weekly quarter hours in one place that could be easily accessible so that the people who were interested in that kinda thing could easily examine and discuss patterns, recurring trends, etc.

2. Grouping all of the containment threads together in one place seems....very backwards to me? Because then they're not containing anything anymore, all the different subjects are running into each other and the sense of focused discussion is lost.

I don't see what the problem is with AEW having five threads or whatever. It's probably the most discussed thing on this subforum by both post volume and number of unique posters, it having a few dedicated threads to spin off stuff so the same points won't be repeated in the main discussion thread over and over doesn't seem like a big deal to me. We payin' by the thread now, or somethin'?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
For the record, I personally don't consider the ignore function a good solution to anything because I may dislike someone's posts on one specific subject but find them to be very cool and good and funny on literally everything outside of that one subject.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So uh.

Is there like. A line with the dude that constantly insults people and has now graduated to dropping slurs?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Mods need to sleep!? Preposterous.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Critical posted:

It's 0930 here and unfortunately my forums provided crystal ball is in the shop.

What is Tony Khan's money to SomethingAwful LLC even going to?! :mad:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Simply read and post in the AEW thread instead of doing your job.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Critical was good mod.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Probe EMF more.

Like, every second of every day.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The report button and feedback thread exist for a reason, they're not here to pat your rear end when your lovely posts go over like a lead balloon.

Unbelievabley soft poo poo.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Eat My Fuc posted:

lol.

MJeff my friend I swear i知 not as bad as you think, I am really sorry my posts bother you, i値l try to see what I can do to not mess up the AEW thread anymore for you.

We're not friends. Don't do poo poo like this anymore,

Eat My Fuc posted:

I don't think Tony Khan is cut out for this. He's funny but like in a trainwreck way in every venture he's ever done. like the moment that made me like him was his proto cm punk press conference meltdown where he was cussing and saying he had more money than jim crockett or whatever, that poo poo was hilarious, and i guess my hope that he leans into being a weird touchy rich kid is coming true but, I don't know I thought it'd be funnier. Helwani was right TK gave a lovely interview and now he's embarrassed or something and doubling down. Just take the L Tony. It's like when he got so mad at being called a Dog Fucker. That insult should have no effect on a billionaire believer in dog fuckin abstinence.

Eat My Fuc posted:

I知 here for that, would be cool. Is the booking actually headed there? Feel like if Keith Lee, Miro, Swerve, Andrade, etc were booked better we壇 have tons of great matches for MJF痴 reign. I think Miro sucks but I know ya値l like him so I threw him in there too.

Darby is great, would like to see him win the big one. Giant rear end belt on that little spooky boy.

Or keep doing it and I'll call you a loving moron and get probed, I guess.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Shadow Legion (also known as the Dark Cabal) are a Cabal Legion that act as enforcers to the newly risen Disciple of the Witness, Emperor Calus and possess Pyramid tech to suppress the Guardian's powers.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fez_machine posted:

You rarely see the seething hatred or open loathing for wrestlers at low skill levels, have had a bad match, or suit a different taste in wrestling that are commonly seen in other places.

I admit I had to apply some restraint when people were giving unironic praise to Miz the other day.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

edogawa rando posted:

The first time I posted in an AEW thread, I was accused of wrongthink, and jumped on.

Apparently expressing frustration at the stop-start nature of “Hayter turns on Britt” was rather egregious.

We had to tell you to stop posting unsolicited rants about how much you hated the Britt story in the business thread because it had nothing to do with AEW's business, you were just talking about how you subjectively didn't like the story. So. Yeah. Pretty egregious. And I say this as one of the subforum's most prolific Britt Haters, so maybe it's not a wrongthing thing.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 28, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The meme of Edge talking in super high speed looking like a loving dork with "just use your ignore button" above him next to Christian just standing there looking like a cool Chad with "constantly cause derails with your petty personal squabbles" above him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Downright Joe Burrow-esque poise.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Anyone scared of posting, just post your own thread with specific info about how the posting should be done in the thread. I feel like that happens in BYOB and GBS

It's what I did with the TV deal thread. :shrug:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I can't draw cause I got stupid hands, can I write a short story about a wrestling sealion instead?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

jesus WEP posted:

getting so mad about the forums you spend money to show how mad you are

The forums being funded by petty petulant grudges is the backbone of this place.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lone Goat posted:

This, but if Cody loses emf gets permabanned

Oh, this night just gets better and better!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
We got a rrrrreally big show.

Rrrrreally big show.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Any of you guys ever see the episode of Seinfeld where he goes "HELLOOOOOOOO LA LA LAAAA"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I thought RGL was banned for posting KSA propaganda. I can't keep my epic re-regs straight anymore.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My interpretation of the joke was that 1) big fat wrestlers who clobber people (like Vader and Samoa Joe) are cool and Punk could improve as a performer by modeling himself after them, and 2) Tony Khan and very important business people demanding Punk get fat and him taking it extremely seriously like that one episode of the Simpsons where Homer gets fat so he can work from home, except Punk is getting fat so he can return to work, is an inherently silly situation, not because the idea of a wrestler being fat is inherently silly, but because the idea of Khan or WBD caring more about what Punk weighs that stuff like if he can still sell tickets and if he can behave himself, is silly.

I can definitely see how it reads as sarcastically fatphobic, but I genuinely do not think anybody intended it that way, I think this forum's appreciation for big fat wrestlers is a very unironic one.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 11, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Like, I don't wanna dismiss the complaint here because I have myself wondered if the joke is appropriate or not, but I really don't think the forum that went nuts for Evil Uno coming out with his belly on full display to fight Jon Moxley has any fatphobia in its heart.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

flatluigi posted:

dark order is maybe a bad pick for people this forum doesn't get weirdly lovely about

It's not problematic to not like a wrestling act.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've tried to keep quiet about this, but hey, over the past 10 months, there's been a lot of super cutesy posts about "wouldn't it be funny if CM Punk immediately injured himself again, I'm technically not wishing injury on him, I'm just CONSTANTLY talking about how funny it would be and how much I would personally enjoy it if he suffered a long-term injury immediately upon returning to the ring".

Can we like, knock it the gently caress off, maybe? If we did this about any other wrestler, it would correctly be called out as the hosed up thing it is. If somebody said "oh man, wonder if Hangman Page is gonna concuss himself again on his first bump!" or "oh man, I sure would love it if Kris Statlander is gonna blow out her knee again five seconds into her first title defense!", it would be regarded as a very hosed up thing to say. And yes, I know, you think this is a disingenuous analogy and these examples are appreciably different because you like those wrestlers, but you don't like CM Punk. Congratulations on liking one wrestler and not liking another one.

The dude came back. He wrestled a match. He didn't dive off anything. He didn't get injured. You had your fun. Can we just stop?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's adorable that you're trying to convince yourself that you're not gonna rereg.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Derisively talking about the posting police while finger wagging at everybody else about their posting 30 seconds before you're booted off the island because you self-exiled after everybody got sick of your uniformly terribly posting is ALMOST as good as having a meltdown for being tangentially related to a joke about Trump after comparing a black gay wrestler to Trump. But not quite.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 19, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Scoop this slap nuts

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hammond Egger posted:

poo poo, where were you in 2011 buddy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Man, this was a great thread.

Lid posted:

“The match that I had with Punk, where things go wonky at the end of that match with the kick out on the GTS, which isn’t even his move.

“That’s me giving into my desire to be a little bit petty in that regard. It’s KENTA’s move and you didn’t even have the decency to change the name.”

“Regardless, the confusion at the end of our match was the fact that he did what’s called ‘the office’ or an ‘iggy.’ This is some inside baseball stuff here. He did that before the three count was over.

“Having been in the business for a long time, I recognize what that is and have done it myself to somebody to say, in our way, ‘whatever, good match.’ He did it before the three count was over. That’s also a way to alert your opponent that, ‘Hey, let’s change something.’”

“In that moment, I can liken it to what Tony Khan might have been feeling when he’s going off on the EVPs. You don’t know what to do. In that moment, I know for myself, I had to make a split-second decision, couldn’t weigh out this or that.

“I had to kick out or not kick out and lose the moment forever. I kicked out. Being whatever it was.”

Bobby Fish finally confirming he did a Bob Holly on CM Punk. He was Getting His Heat Back.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I agree with dromal, make Rarity the new mod.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Assigned Mod At (Jungle) Boy

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

JUNGLE BOY posted:

As many of you are aware, after a few short hours of being a mod, I知 afraid I need to step down. All of the bans and probes have been reversed and wiped from the records. My behavior was frankly unacceptable and I am sorry.

And to the 3 posters that were involved in the SANADA incident, no apology that I make will make up for what I put you through. I知 deeply ashamed, and hope that I can redeem myself as a member of the community.

Coward.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The wrestling subreddit was closed for a while and this is literally the only place to discuss wrestling on the internet that isn't a complete cesspool, so I think it's feasible that some new people did actually show up here, but, uh. I dunno, I'm a little bit, as the kids say, SUS, as well.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
.........I would appreciate it very much if a mod could change the tag on the Observer Awards thread to the "Let's Get Ready to Rumble" one, please and thank you.

Edit: Thank you very much.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Big Tinder takes down another one. 😔